Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Ugh you guys don't have to fall for the bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Hannibal still hasn't recreated this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87WaaTGf8eY

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

bobkatt013 posted:

So a show based off the original book is derivative of its sequel?

It's derivative in general so yes

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Please don't respond to Occupation. And Occupation please stop posting. Don't make me lock you back in your review thread again.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Shageletic posted:

That takes me back. Caroline in the City. Suddenly Susan. Veronica's Closet.

Uh...I think they're basically the same show?

There was also some show with Tea Leoni working for a magazine.

And then Just Shoot Me, which wasn't entirely about that one woman, but spent a fair amount of time focused on her.

The 90's LOVED shows about single women working for a magazine/newspaper.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

DrBouvenstein posted:

The Naked Truth.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Speaking of which, LMS had a funnier bit on the Supreme Court this week than John Oliver.

zoux posted:

Ming-Na played the wife of Johnathan Silverman's best friend so for all time when I see her my first thought is "Hey it's that lady from The Single Guy".

That's better than "Hey its Maggie Q," I guess.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

DrBouvenstein posted:

And then Just Shoot Me, which wasn't entirely about that one woman, but spent a fair amount of time focused on her.

The Naked Truth, got retooled to add George Wendt in the second season. That one was okay, but I haven't seen it in ~8 years so it might be nostalgia and my love of most everyone from Cheers.

Edit: Now how many of these shows in the past few pages had Rena Sofer eps?

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 21, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The only thing I remember about The Naked Truth is that I had a massive crush on Tea Leoni in the 90s. Actually, come to think of it I think a massive crush on Lea Thompson was the only reason I watched Caroline in the City. And Laura San Giacomo on Just Shoot me.

I guess 90s me was really into flighty artists and writers struggling to make it on their own in the big city.

I do the Single Guy/Ming Na thing too. Also every time i see Kathy Griffin I curse Suddenly Susan for unleashing her on the world.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

I do the Single Guy/Ming Na thing too. Also every time i see Kathy Griffin I curse Suddenly Susan for unleashing her on the world.

I don't think Kathy Griffin's popularity is due to that show, is it? She was friends with Seinfeld, had a show, some time passes, then she gets famous because gay guys love her standup "talk poo poo about celebrities" comedy.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

precision posted:

I don't think Kathy Griffin's popularity is due to that show, is it? She was friends with Seinfeld, had a show, some time passes, then she gets famous because gay guys love her standup "talk poo poo about celebrities" comedy.

I believe Joan Rivers was involved with the push for Kathy Griffin to remain on TV after Suddenly Susan, but I might be wrong there. She definitely was "known" before Suddenly Susan, and I enjoyed her stand up before she found her current voice.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Jane the Virgin had an amazing twist this week. Literally, it is a brilliant soap opera/parody.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a weird fact: no network shows have been cancelled yet...

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

zoux posted:

Unless you count Hieroglyph, which Fox cancelled in the summer after ordering it to series for midseason.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I do not count that no.

The last three years, the first fall show cancelled came in the first or second week of October.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ravane posted:

Jane the Virgin had an amazing twist this week. Literally, it is a brilliant soap opera/parody.

The first episode of that show was really bad though. A teenage girl equates her mother getting pregnant "accidentally" with her own "accidental" insemination by a doctor. That's messed up. But then I realize there are people in the real actual world who wouldn't just immediately abort and sue because "life begins at conception" or "but I was a mistake too!" and just ugh.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

precision posted:

The first episode of that show was really bad though. A teenage girl equates her mother getting pregnant "accidentally" with her own "accidental" insemination by a doctor. That's messed up. But then I realize there are people in the real actual world who wouldn't just immediately abort and sue because "life begins at conception" or "but I was a mistake too!" and just ugh.
If Republican politicians are to be believed, all pregnancies are a gift from God, even/especially if they result from rape.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

:(

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

precision posted:

A teenage girl equates her mother getting pregnant "accidentally" with her own "accidental" insemination by a doctor. That's messed up. But then I realize there are people in the real actual world who wouldn't just immediately abort and sue because "life begins at conception" or "but I was a mistake too!" and just ugh.

I, too, hate it when women don't do what I want them to do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I honestly wonder if it's because networks don't want to scare people away as they burn off episodes.

I mean, Fox cut Mulaney's order to 13 episodes. It's cancelled in all but name only. They likely won't announce that it's cancelled until May though when they just fail to renew it.

It would not surprise me in the least if the networks don't toss around the term cancelled anymore since they likely see a huge ratings tank after they do. It's far better for them just to cut orders or not give the back 9 and just fail to renew in the spring.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

precision posted:

Pretty sure they explored this pretty thoroughly in the first episode and the main character didn't make the decision to keep the baby because of the reasons you just wrote.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

bull3964 posted:

I honestly wonder if it's because networks don't want to scare people away as they burn off episodes.

I mean, Fox cut Mulaney's order to 13 episodes. It's cancelled in all but name only. They likely won't announce that it's cancelled until May though when they just fail to renew it.

It would not surprise me in the least if the networks don't toss around the term cancelled anymore since they likely see a huge ratings tank after they do. It's far better for them just to cut orders or not give the back 9 and just fail to renew in the spring.

Because ratings have been steadily declining across all four big networks, I'd imagine it's harder for them to justify cutting shows loose quickly if they still have produced episodes in the can.

It should also be noted that the biggest flop of the fall, Utopia, did get cut back to one episode a week very quickly, and from the look of it will be cancelled completely pretty soon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sober posted:

Pretty sure they explored this pretty thoroughly in the first episode and the main character didn't make the decision to keep the baby because of the reasons you just wrote.

Did it? I just remember her talking to her mother and equating her mother's "accidental" pregnancy with her own which makes absolutely no sense on any level. Unless you're talking about how the baby is the only chance for Dreamy Cancer Guy Who Is Totally Not Way Too Old For Her.

Seriously the episode has a guy that has to be pushing 30 make out with a girl who would have been 15 at the time and sets up a plot for him and the 16 year old to get together at some point. And this is a show people are saying is good?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

Did it? I just remember her talking to her mother and equating her mother's "accidental" pregnancy with her own which makes absolutely no sense on any level. Unless you're talking about how the baby is the only chance for Dreamy Cancer Guy Who Is Totally Not Way Too Old For Her.

Seriously the episode has a guy that has to be pushing 30 make out with a girl who would have been 15 at the time and sets up a plot for him and the 16 year old to get together at some point. And this is a show people are saying is good?

Someone please tell me precision is high(-er than usual) and he dreampt all this because holy poo poo is this really a thing?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's an AV Club article about Snuff Box which goes into how such a weird and beautiful(ly ugly) show got made. Basically BBC3 needed a show for a timeslot and didn't really care about what it was letting Matt Berry and Rich Fulcher do whatever the hell they wanted.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

IRQ posted:

Someone please tell me precision is high(-er than usual) and he dreampt all this because holy poo poo is this really a thing?

It's a soap opera, that's also a parody of traditional spanish soap operas. He's not completely wrong, but he isn't at all right either.

She's 25 and she gets artificially inseminated due to a mistake made by a doctor, who was only supposed to give her a routine pap smear. The twist is that unlike most women her age, she's never had sex in her life, which is part of what complicates the issue of pregnancy.

Another issue is that 5 years earlier, when she was 20 and in college, she kissed the guy, whose baby she is now having, and never saw him again until now. We've already discussed the pedophilic track in the OP of the thread, where I mention that there isn't one.

Is this a crazy show? Absolutely. It gets as crazy as soap operas get.

Is it a girly show? Sure, we've already had one thread member walk out on the show for "only being for women, no offense." He got kinda misogynistic.

But it is rather entertaining, by no means is it for everyone, but I think it's found it's little niche in CW. I grew up watching my parents' indian soap operas, and this show brings a sort of nostalgia for that. It's outwardly kooky, but has great plot pacing and characterization to bring a very real feeling of emotion and drama when needed.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Jane the Virgin is a direct adaptation of a Venezuelan telenovella.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-x9VWiTPSk

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

IRQ posted:

It's not super convoluted, perhaps a little but probably not a lot by telenovella means (and the show is purposefully aping said tropes), and the choice to keep the baby is never shoved into the audience's faces as a analogue or editorializing for the pro-choice/anti-aborition debate by any means.

I would recommend you at least watch the pilot if you are mildly interested, as it is probably one of the stronger pilots this year.

Basically the order of events that the viewer learns is:

-As a child, Jane's grandmother tells Jane it's super important to remain a virgin as long as possible.

-Five years before the present Jane meets Rafael one day, and they share a moment and a kiss

-Rafael gets married to Petra before the show begins and ends up getting cancer about a year before the show starts. At this point he wants a divorce, but she wants to wait it out for the prenup so she can cash out.
-Jane finds out she's working in the hotel that Rafael is in charge of.
-Jane has a pap smear scheduled for the next day.
-Rafael's sister, Luisa, is an OBGYN, and the night before, she walks in on her wife cheating on her, causing her to become distraught and distracted at work.
-Petra is also trying a hail mary by taking Rafael's last sperm sample (he can't have anymore because cancer) and getting the artificial insemination - and basically gets her sister-in-law (also Jane's OBGYN) to do it.
-Luisa messes up the procedures (that were one after the other) and realizes it pretty quick, but hopes the pregnancy doesn't take (because the chances were fairly low, like 20%) and no one would be none the wiser
-Obviously Jane starts showing signs of pregnancy and the doctors confirm it, and everyone involved starts learning about it.

-Jane learns that when her mother was pregnant with Jane, Jane's grandmother told her she should abort it (but obviously decides not to - despite the heavy handed catholicism or whatever you wanna call it). She realizes that her mother put her life away for her and doesn't want the same for her life. Basically her mother tells her she should decide what is best - that having the choice helps regardless (this is maybe as close as it gets to being "pro-choice")
-Jane at the same time also learns it's Rafael's only sperm sample left, and she also thinks Rafael and Petra will be loving parents (they aren't at the moment but she doesn't know that) and decides instead keep the child to eventually give to them, so she plans to tough it out for the next nine months.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

precision posted:

What show are you watching? Jane is not a teenager she's in her mid 20s.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wandle Cax posted:

What show are you watching? Jane is not a teenager she's in her mid 20s.

I wasn't paying super close attention but I could have sworn she was supposed to be 16. Now I'm really confused.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

zoux posted:

Mulaney

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

muscles like this? posted:

There's an AV Club article about Snuff Box which goes into how such a weird and beautiful(ly ugly) show got made. Basically BBC3 needed a show for a timeslot and didn't really care about what it was letting Matt Berry and Rich Fulcher do whatever the hell they wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZDjWLwqAPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91It0MbMcW8

Absolute genius.

Edit: this is how they ended one episode. NWS for language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpJe2ztE41s

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 22, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Not technically yet, although obviously it on Utopia are pretty close.

There were a few articles but basically people are mostly waiting for later numbers and not just the overnight demo or what have you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think it's good that networks ate slowing down on pulling the trigger on cancellation,provided this year isn't just a fluke.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wonder how much of that had to do with Murphy Brown?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sex and the City was also about a magazine editor I think.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Sex and the City was also about a magazine editor I think.

Incorrect, Sex and the City was about sex and, occasionally, a city.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

precision posted:

Incorrect, Sex and the City was about sex and, occasionally, a city.
Also shoes. Mostly shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You see starting a new relationship is like buying a new pair of Manolo heels because

• Locked thread