Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Entropist posted:

If you want to hit what is actually considered 'industrial' rather than electro-industrial you'd need a lot more guitars than the thing I posted, too.

GUITARS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

skeletonotherkin posted:

No one here seems to have noticed the spiritual successor to Revco started by Chris Connelly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brm-8Ra052k

It's because RevCo is really bad

This is alright, though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Entropist posted:

If you want to hit what is actually considered 'industrial' rather than electro-industrial you'd need a lot more guitars than the thing I posted, too

I think the instrument you're looking for is the humble oil drum.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

It's because RevCo is really bad

This is alright, though.

bah, first couple of albums are great, then grandpa al ran it into the ground.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

skeletonotherkin posted:

bah, first couple of albums are great, then grandpa al ran it into the ground.

Which are the good revco albums/tracks in your opinion? I've never really listened to them, I have one or two albums somewhere but I can't recall much other than they covered do you think I'm sexy.

Due to this thread I've been listening to early KMFDM again a lot over the last couple of days, I'd literally forgotten that their earlier stuff was actually pretty drat cool so thanks guys!

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Puntification posted:

Which are the good revco albums/tracks in your opinion? I've never really listened to them, I have one or two albums somewhere but I can't recall much other than they covered do you think I'm sexy.

"Stainless Steel Providers" and the unofficial anthem for my state "Beersc Steers, and Queers" are my obvious picks. RevCo always struck me as the debaucherous house band for Jorgunsen's camp, barely able to function so it's amazing they managed to record records. Go read Connelly's book and get a full tainted picture.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Agonoize keeps teasering new tour dates on their facebook and I know none of them are going to be US but I still keep getting my hopes up. :sigh:

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Puntification posted:

Due to this thread I've been listening to early KMFDM again a lot over the last couple of days, I'd literally forgotten that their earlier stuff was actually pretty drat cool so thanks guys!

Album wise big sexy land, live you goddamn son of a bitch, and to a lesser extent beers, steers, and queers. I think early revco was the only group to successfully pull off the whole buttrock/redneck industrial fusion thing without being too embarrassing. I'm guessing it was due to the chaotic nature of the project.

hatelull posted:

Go read Connelly's book and get a full tainted picture.

Seconding this. I had to import it from England, but it was well worth it. Definitely recommended for anyone who's interested in that era/scene and was unable to experience it first hand.

skeletonotherkin fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 19, 2014

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

hatelull posted:

"Stainless Steel Providers" and the unofficial anthem for my state "Beersc Steers, and Queers" are my obvious picks. RevCo always struck me as the debaucherous house band for Jorgunsen's camp, barely able to function so it's amazing they managed to record records. Go read Connelly's book and get a full tainted picture.

Whoa, he cleaned up really well:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

boo_radley posted:

Whoa, he cleaned up really well:

Yeah, but too bad his hands are stuck like that for the rest of his life :(

don't do drugs, kids

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Yeah, but too bad his hands are stuck like that for the rest of his life :(

don't do drugs, kids

eh, what?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It's a silly picture and that was a joke :)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I used to wear a green plaid sports coat with my docs in high school to emulate 90's Chicago era Chris Connelly and crew. God, what a poo poo I was.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
How come Tommy Nightmare is a real thing doing actual music now? Thank you, internet.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The latest trend... health goth.

quote:

http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/blogs/547561/health-goth-the-latest-trend-you-ve-never-heard-of.html

If you’re still trying to get your head around normcore, look away now.

The latest underground fashion trend sent to confuse us has landed, and it’s going by the name of health goth.

Despite what the name suggests, it’s not based around dressing like Morticia Adams while embarking on a strict vegan diet. Rather, it’s a very modern mix of gothic and punk sensibilities (think dark colours, figure-hugging silhouettes and heavy statement accessories) and futuristic sport-luxe. Weird? Very. Cool? Apparently.

The concept of health goth was born last year when American musicians Mike Grabarek and Jeremy Scott began uploading images they were inspired by to Facebook. Soon, their library of futuristic, monochrome style inspo had over five thousand followers, and today, the Health Goth community is still expanding. But what exactly is it?

In an interview with Complex in August, the creators listed their inspirations as ‘mesh, moisture-wicking fabrics, prosthetics, fashion and performance wear brands, transparent clothing and chains’. Basically, think traditional goth gone body-conscious. High-performance sportswear is key for nailing the health goth look, but inspiration also comes from sci-fi and cyberpunk, which adds the futuristic element.

Despite only getting its name in 2013, health goth aesthetics have been around for a while, particularly in the movie world. Trinity from The Matrix, with her trademark wraparound sunglasses, and even Daryl Hannah’s Pris from the 1982 cult hit Blade Runner, could both be classed as pioneers of what’s now known as health goth. Slick, figure-hugging silhouettes and transparent materials are all staples of the trend, but Health Goth can also be sexy – think flame-haired Milla Jovovich in The Fifth Element.

Never one to risk being understated in his sartorial choices, Kanye West has also dabbled with the futuristic look, often sporting studded Maison Martin Margiela full-face masks at his shows, and finishing his look with pristine white Nikes.

According to those in the know, we should all be embracing our dark sides. 'It’s very now, and something we can expect to trend for the next 4-6 months,' said Tammy Smulders, managing partner of trend insight consultancy SCB Partners. 'Health goth sounds like a fancy name, but it marries the easy-wear of sports clothes with luxury materials.'

Jaana Jatyri, founder of trend forecasting agency Trendstop, also thinks it’s here to stay. 'Health goth started out as an internet meme, but we’re now starting to see these stylistic influences filter through to trendsetters on the streets, especially in London,' she says.

One reason for this may be that, despite its seemingly daunting appearance, is that it’s actually quite easy to wear. 'Health goth is more approachable than other Internet trends like Seapunk [blue hair and psychedelia] and elements like luxe sportswear pieces are easy to translate into the mainstream,' says Jaana. 'Although it tends to focus on menswear, there’s a big trend towards menswear-inspired styles for women, so it’s definitely something women can get into as well.'

Longline sports jerseys, mesh inserts, wet-look fabrics and chunky, Perspex accessories will all help create the punky, sci-fi feel. Black is the centre of the colour palette, but silver and white accents can be added to complete the streamlined, space-age feel. Going full health goth is a bold statement, though – nods to the trend such as hi-tech trainers, metallic make-up or mesh-panelled t-shirts are an easy way to incorporate it into your everyday style.

Nike and Adidas are the go-to footwear brands for any discerning member of the HG community – just remember, the more futuristic-looking the shoe, the better. 'Nike and Adidas are great places to start, particularly premium lines like Adidas’ Porsche Design or Y-3,' Jaana advises. 'An investment piece by Rick Owens or Alexander Wang can add a fashion edge.'

For those still wondering exactly how to do it, Tammy also has some useful advice. 'Layer fun, edgy and colourful prints on a base of minimalist black, grey and white colour palates. It’s a really interesting style evolution that looks and feels fresh.'

So there you have it.
Health goth. Also known as wearing a ratty Skinny Puppy t-shirt to the gym. (Hmm, probably beats heroin-addled goth...)

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I am so sick of all synthpop sounding exactly the loving same. It is a joke.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Babby Sathanas posted:

I am so sick of all synthpop sounding exactly the loving same. It is a joke.
I guess I don't really listen to "synthpop" per se. The only bands I listen to that I think fit the label perfectly are like Depeche Mode and Wolfsheim.

Other stuff that's sorta close would be perhaps mind.in.a.box? Seabound?

I have to say, after being a huge, unabashed fan of the first three Seabound albums, the latest has left me cold. I just can't seem to get into it no matter how much I listen.

edit: I haven't posted this here for 2-3 years... the "overall" chart is a pretty good snapshot of my taste: http://www.last.fm/user/greycellgreen

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
There are a few synthpop-like bands that I ran into along the way... For new stuff, I quite liked this Machinista song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XONkLtJMrt4

Then there was Echo Image, De/Vision if that counts, Iris, The Human League, Ladytron... Code 64 or Frozen Plasma if that isn't futurepop.
But there's also a bunch more artists that I can't really remember because they sound samey, indeed.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Help I've been completely obsessed with Blutengel for the last couple of days and it's slowly but surely edging its way into my top ten list of favorite bands of all time

Also whoever posted about Königin der Nacht being a perfect song like... last year? I think it was last year. You were right. Then again Chris Pohl has a pretty ridic amount of those under his belt.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Help I've been completely obsessed with Blutengel for the last couple of days and it's slowly but surely edging its way into my top ten list of favorite bands of all time

Also whoever posted about Königin der Nacht being a perfect song like... last year? I think it was last year. You were right. Then again Chris Pohl has a pretty ridic amount of those under his belt.
Pretty sure me. And I WAS right. :synthy: That's up there with Dancing In The Light in perfect, gothed out anthems. Oh you've got to explore the b-sides if you haven't already. Gems in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuUz33aDbbE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6fmhjjvNVM

^ This last one has lyrics that are so supermarket vampire romance pulp but holy poo poo the last refrain got-drat.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 22, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Omi-Polari posted:

Pretty sure me. And I WAS right. :synthy: That's up there with Dancing In The Light in perfect, gothed out anthems. Oh you've got to explore the b-sides if you haven't already. Gems in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuUz33aDbbE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6fmhjjvNVM

Yeah, Dancing in the Light has to be one of my favorite songs of all time. Just an incredible track. It's a shame they don't seem to play it live anymore.

The first Blutengel thing I ever bought was actually the version of the DITL single that has You Will Be A Woman on it! :haw: Here's a more recent B-side that would be worthy of being a single itself, and one that apparently found its way into their setlists on the Monument tour, too: What You Get

edit: Also I think Soultaker deserves to be mentioned when talking about perfect songs by BE. loving astounding.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 22, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

edit: Also I think Soultaker deserves to be mentioned when talking about perfect songs by BE. loving astounding.
And I was going to mention the Schatten club mix. Also the song Our Empire. Not the best Blut song, but it's a song by vampires to a modern, rational and skeptic audience about why they should believe in vampires. "Believe me, my modern friends!" So funny. I think I burst out laughing the first time I heard it, at the sheer panache of it. Love it.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 22, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Omi-Polari we should meet at a Blutengel concert and have a couple of beers:drac:chalices of blood:drac:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Cool a synthpop detour. Check out Sons of Magdelene. Its really, really well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CPJXYgeClk

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Synthpop? Yeah, my Grandparents used to love that genre.

Want real retro-80's inspired, intense, electro madness?
Then it's OUTRUN or nothing. In fact, Perturbator up in this motherfucker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNeQ1B5zpOw

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Omi-Polari we should meet at a Blutengel concert and have a couple of beers:drac:chalices of blood:drac:

Take my wife with you, please.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

The Cleaner posted:

Synthpop? Yeah, my Grandparents used to love that genre.

At least like 75% of the people I know who are into industrial are suddenly all over Outrun, and basically nobody else I know cares about it. Weird correlation.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hell yeah I would. Blutengel and you would have to fly across the Atlantic though. Hmm... Maybe next time they play Mexico.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Pope Guilty posted:

At least like 75% of the people I know who are into industrial are suddenly all over Outrun, and basically nobody else I know cares about it. Weird correlation.

I think it's safe to say people who are into Industrial are generally more into extreme and weird genres.
And Outrun is to Synthpop what Death-Metal is to Rock & Roll.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

So that's what it's called? Holy poo poo that genre got old fast, Perturbator I can deal with but just about everything else sounds and look exactly the same. Hence proving the deathmetal comparision.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Pope Guilty posted:

People who are into industrial tend to really like all kinds of electronic music cos the industrial umbrella is so broad and Outrun owns so.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xh_Sg-lvvg

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I first heard Perturbator on the soundtrack for Hotline Miami and they are indeed awesome.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I haven't a clue what you call this, but it rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijvq2xVbjIk

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
I think this is pretty Outrun

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Much respect for the guy on the synth wearing both a black mask and a welding helmet.

ZoltarOmniscient
Jan 17, 2013
So I recently started doing an industrial/goth show on my local campus radio station. I'm wondering if anyone would want to do an interview at some point or provide some music to play our anything.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

ZoltarOmniscient posted:

So I recently started doing an industrial/goth show on my local campus radio station. I'm wondering if anyone would want to do an interview at some point or provide some music to play our anything.

That sounds cool. Do you have a website or an archive up somewhere?

I'm not sure if my music qualifies as industrial, but a lot of my inspiration comes from the kinds of stuff posted in this thread and I do have some harder/harsher tracks that might interest you. I'll PM you some examples.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

ZoltarOmniscient posted:

I'd be happy to do either! If Ad.ver.sary or Antigen Shift fits your show and you dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoltarOmniscient
Jan 17, 2013

Twiin posted:

I'd be happy to do either! If Ad.ver.sary or Antigen Shift fits your show and you dig it.

I've actually played tracks from Brotherhood on the last couple episodes, I only did my third this week and I've yet to get set up on the website with my podcasted version of it, but I should be getting in touch with the webmaster for the station tomorrow. As for the site for the station itself it's chsrfm.ca. It does have a link to listen online, and my show is Thursday nights at 10:30 pm Atlantic time, and I'm going to apologize in advance for the fact that I called it "Something to do With Bats", I couldn't think of anything better to name it.