Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deathrat
May 25, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but last time I checked I thought it wasn't available in Canada.

You can always use something like Hola to register an account with an American IP and then download and install it and it will work perfectly fine for Canadians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I'm currently using Spotify on my LG Optimus L9 (Jelly Bean 4.1) and it's slow and buggy as hell. I think the problem is the phone, specifically that it didn't come with the Music FX equalizer app like most Android phones do. I downloaded it from the Play store, but it randomly shuts off or makes music skip and freeze. And I can't stand the hollow, tinny sound without it. I was thinking of getting the new Nexus and see if it runs any better on stock Android, but then I realized it'd be cheaper to keep it (still works fine for calls/texts) and get an iPod Touch for Spotify. Is the iOS app any good?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

It's got its problems, like sometimes it goes to the next song but there's no sound. So you have to restart the song then it works. Other than that I don't have any complaints.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

appropriatemetaphor posted:

It's got its problems, like sometimes it goes to the next song but there's no sound. So you have to restart the song then it works. Other than that I don't have any complaints.

How often does it do that? Because mine fucks up sometimes several times an hour.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

MondayHotDog posted:

I'm currently using Spotify on my LG Optimus L9 (Jelly Bean 4.1) and it's slow and buggy as hell. I think the problem is the phone, specifically that it didn't come with the Music FX equalizer app like most Android phones do. I downloaded it from the Play store, but it randomly shuts off or makes music skip and freeze. And I can't stand the hollow, tinny sound without it. I was thinking of getting the new Nexus and see if it runs any better on stock Android, but then I realized it'd be cheaper to keep it (still works fine for calls/texts) and get an iPod Touch for Spotify. Is the iOS app any good?

The L9 is definitely an underpowered phone compared to even some low-end offerings. I have no doubt that the new Nexus would help things, but even the likes of the Moto G would be worlds better for you and can be had for less than $200 off-contract. If you can spring for a couple more bucks, the Moto G LTE will get you LTE for AT&T and T-Mobile.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Probably stupid question: was it always possible to show the exact number how often a certain track has been played by hovering over the popularity bar? I've been using Spotify for a year now, and I've only just noticed this. It's actually kinda neat if statistics like these interest you.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

DominoDancing posted:

Probably stupid question: was it always possible to show the exact number how often a certain track has been played by hovering over the popularity bar? I've been using Spotify for a year now, and I've only just noticed this. It's actually kinda neat if statistics like these interest you.

Cool, didn't know this - thanks!

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

MondayHotDog posted:

How often does it do that? Because mine fucks up sometimes several times an hour.

I use the ios app constantly with no trouble. I even stream playlists over 3g while driving completely seamlessly.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
I remember seeing a thread or a megapost of Spotify playlists called NMD (genre) Primer. Could someone point me in the correct direction?

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
It's been archived: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3497919

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

It seems that Spotify is hosting an open beta for the new version of the desktop client. You can install it side by side with the current client, so it won't be that difficult to switch back if you can't bear all the beta related bugs.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I have a bunch of saved albums and artists. When I try to play an album or artist in the iPhone app, it randomly shuffles them. Even if I tap a song it will go to a random song from that list, not the next one.

I feel like this only started recently; I've been using Spotify for a while.

Anyone else having this problem?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rexides posted:

It seems that Spotify is hosting an open beta for the new version of the desktop client. You can install it side by side with the current client, so it won't be that difficult to switch back if you can't bear all the beta related bugs.

I like the redesign in the beta. It's beta as hell though yeah, works fine for the most part though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dexter6 posted:

I have a bunch of saved albums and artists. When I try to play an album or artist in the iPhone app, it randomly shuffles them. Even if I tap a song it will go to a random song from that list, not the next one.

I think you can only do shuffle play on phones? It's always done that for me, anyway. The dumbest thing is when you want to listen to a playlist with less than 20ish songs, then Spotify just adds poo poo of it's own accord. Plus you can't listen to the stuff from Your Music and sometimes it hiccups when your connection fluctuates and stops for minutes at a time unless you just restart your phone. The phone app can be kinda bad in general, really.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think you can only do shuffle play on phones? It's always done that for me, anyway. The dumbest thing is when you want to listen to a playlist with less than 20ish songs, then Spotify just adds poo poo of it's own accord. Plus you can't listen to the stuff from Your Music and sometimes it hiccups when your connection fluctuates and stops for minutes at a time unless you just restart your phone. The phone app can be kinda bad in general, really.

You can definitely listen to your my music albums and playlists in the correct order, you sure you don't just have shuffle on?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't.

edit: though that could be that guy's problem, or else his premium lapsed and he didn't notice

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 3, 2014

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Rexides posted:

Version 1.0! It took only six years for them to release the first version of their client :v:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

dexter6 posted:

Not that specific problem but ive noticed recently when I save an album on my computer, it wont make it to my phone and vice versa.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Hey guys. I'm premium, it hasn't lapsed, and I thought the only way to shuffle play was to hit the big green shuffle play button... Right? And I'm not hitting that button.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Rexides posted:

Jesus Christ, when you have organized playlists in folders, clicking the folder won't display the songs from all playlists anymore :(! I know the guys at Spotify are concerned not to feature bloat their software, but if they remove that functionality it will seriously piss me off.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

DominoDancing posted:

Jesus Christ, when you have organized playlists in folders, clicking the folder won't display the songs from all playlists anymore :(! I know the guys at Spotify are concerned not to feature bloat their software, but if they remove that functionality it will seriously piss me off.

Hrmm i always dismissed that view as being useless that is interesting. I could see it and i wouldnt consider it bloat to leave it in... Spotify makes a bunch of weird rear end choices with their UI and featureset in general.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
In case anyone was wondering, my problem was fixed by removing the app, rebooting my iPhone, reinstalling Spotify and resyncing.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

thathonkey posted:

Hrmm i always dismissed that view as being useless that is interesting. I could see it and i wouldnt consider it bloat to leave it in... Spotify makes a bunch of weird rear end choices with their UI and featureset in general.

I guess it's just the weird way I like my music organized, which is by year/decade. Right now it's easy for me to listen to all my 90s music on shuffle (and yes, listening by decade is something I do all the time).

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Has anyone else had problems with the search box on the OS X app? Most of the time when I go type something in there and hit enter, nothing happens. If I click the "x" to dismiss the existing query and clear all results, then type a new query, it usually works so I have to do this every time I want to search on something. This bug has been around the whole time I've been using Spotify but i'm starting to think it is something I am doing wrong since they haven't fixed it yet...

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Are you sure you have an up to date client? What version are you using right now?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Rexides posted:

Are you sure you have an up to date client? What version are you using right now?

Ill check the version later when I am not on my phone but I am pretty sure it is the latest (it just showed me the blue "restart spotify to update!" bar a couple of days back). I have two different laptops, both OS X, and the same weird search box behavior happens on both..

edit: version 0.9.14.13 (rev gba5645ad)

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 9, 2014

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How does spotify decide what your "most listened to" albums are? Like it seems like stuff I listen to a whole ton isn't at the top...

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.spotify.com/us/family/

Spotify finally is going to set up family accounts. $10 for the base account and $5 per additional account.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm running PC at work that has a P4, 1.5gb ram, and runs XP. I tried using spotify & its web client a while back but both bogged down my system so much, are there any alternate clients that simply give you your list of music and play them back?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Have you tried Spotiamp? It's much lighter than the desktop client and does exactly what you want. You will need a premium account to use it, though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rexides posted:

Have you tried Spotiamp? It's much lighter than the desktop client and does exactly what you want. You will need a premium account to use it, though.

It's a bit stuttery if I'm using Chrome at the same time but this looks to be exactly what I need. Thank you!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

seventeen posted:

I remember seeing a thread or a megapost of Spotify playlists called NMD (genre) Primer. Could someone point me in the correct direction?

If this is something people are still interested in we could work on getting it started again. I have all of them added in my account and haven't seen a ton of activity as far as additions lately... I suppose the thread being archived would definitely explain that ;)

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

appropriatemetaphor posted:

How does spotify decide what your "most listened to" albums are? Like it seems like stuff I listen to a whole ton isn't at the top...

I think it ranks both the top songs and top album based on the fastest growing. I mean, if a lot of people listen to one album in one day, it will be ranked on top even if it hasn't the most times listened overall

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Really loving his new feature on the Android app (don't know about the other platforms) that will send your current playlist and the position of your currently-playing song to the desktop app if both are on the same network with just a couple of taps. And also lets you control the desktop app with the mobile app.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Kilonum posted:

Really loving his new feature on the Android app (don't know about the other platforms) that will send your current playlist and the position of your currently-playing song to the desktop app if both are on the same network with just a couple of taps. And also lets you control the desktop app with the mobile app.

I tried scaring my wife and daughter by suddenly streaming SPOOKY Halloween sounds to my laptop while I was in another room upstairs but they didn't think it was terribly scary anything but a dumb computer bugging out :spooky:

me your dad fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 5, 2014

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Taylor Swift removed her music from Spotify and then sold a bajillion albums last week. :rip: Spotify

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

inSTAALed posted:

Taylor Swift removed her music from Spotify and then sold a bajillion albums last week. :rip: Spotify

Where's the control group? :colbert:

edit: vvv what kind of problems?

Rexides fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 5, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

has any of yous had spotify problems after upgrading to Yosemite?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

has any of yous had spotify problems after upgrading to Yosemite?

Nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Is there a way to see all new releases by my followed artists? Following seems sort of useless and annoying, since I get a lot of updates about what they're listening to or some playlist they shared. 'Discover' has nothing like what I want.

All I want is a list of the most recently added songs and albums by the artists that I like. Possible?

• Locked thread