Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Bad music but interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFqlwAWuMTg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TheFluff posted:

There are some cases where this isn't true though, for example the de Havilland Hornet:

Same deal for the A400m:

Wikipedia posted:

The pair of propellers on each wing of the A400M turn in opposite directions, with the tips of the propellers advancing from above towards the midpoint between the two engines. This is in contrast to the overwhelming majority of multi-engine propeller driven aircraft where all propellers on the same wing turn in the same direction. The counter-rotation is achieved by the use of a gearbox fitted to two of the engines, and only the propeller turns the opposite direction; all four engines are identical and turn in the same direction which eliminates the need to have two different "handed" engines on stock for the same aircraft, which simplifies maintenance and supply costs. This configuration, dubbed DBE (Down Between Engines), allows the aircraft to produce more lift and lessens the torque and prop wash on each wing. It also reduces yaw in the event of an outboard engine failure.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

While we're on the subject of ludicrous planes and even more ludicrous engines: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_XF-84H

And even though it was just a test plane, this is one of the weirdest looking wings I've ever seen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_XF-91_Thunderceptor

Oh the Thunderscreech :allears:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ruhcKaNLp4

The fire watch guys make me nervous as hell watching that, especially the one in the yellow helmet leaning towards the prop. :ohdear:

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

azflyboy posted:

thanks to an almost useless yaw damper, any power changes in flight require rudder pressure/trim to keep the aircraft from yawing left or right.

As an aside, the point of a yaw damper is only to dampen the second-order vibration mode which causes dutch roll. It is not there to correct the steady state error in slip angle and resultant roll moment caused by power changes.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

luminalflux posted:

What accomodations for a small plane like that are there at O'Hare?

There's a general aviation ramp with services similar to any smaller airport. You just have to get to it first.

Signature Flight Support

Currently $9.17/gal for 100LL AVGAS there.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

Currently $9.17/gal for 100LL AVGAS there.

White glove service. The rubber kind, not the velvet kind.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

White glove service. The rubber kind, not the velvet kind.

Probably the other kind too, if you're overnighting at O'hare presumably your name starts with "prince" or "King"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Psion posted:

It's been covered, but yeah I would expect a response along the lines of "get real, our pattern is full for literally the next 8 hours. Stay out of class B, thanks."

maybe the ATC guys can shed more light on it, but at a place like O'Hare or other multiple runway airport, couldn't they just stick the 172 on some bullshit unused short crosswind strip that doesn't interfere with the main pattern?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Probably the other kind too, if you're overnighting at O'hare presumably your name starts with "prince" or "King"

If you're a king filling avgas at the GA ramp, chances are your realm is either a very small Caribbean island or it's more of a corporate realm rather than an actual nation state. "$9.17/gal?! How dare you, I'm the Cook county king of carpets!"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ola posted:

If you're a king filling avgas at the GA ramp, chances are your realm is either a very small Caribbean island or it's more of a corporate realm rather than an actual nation state. "$9.17/gal?! How dare you, I'm the Cook county king of carpets!"

Abe Froman, imo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Linedance posted:

maybe the ATC guys can shed more light on it, but at a place like O'Hare or other multiple runway airport, couldn't they just stick the 172 on some bullshit unused short crosswind strip that doesn't interfere with the main pattern?

The crosswind runways generally overlap the big runways so that'd be a no go at somewhere like O'hare.

And good point on the avgas, was only thinking Jet A.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

The crosswind runways generally overlap the big runways so that'd be a no go at somewhere like O'hare.

And good point on the avgas, was only thinking Jet A.

Looking at that airport map The Ferret King posted,

I was thinking like sticking them on 4R if 9/10L are in use, or 22R/27R if 32R/L is in use

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Sam Hall posted:

I really like the Siemens-Schuckert fighters; they dealt with the rotary engine torque problem by having the prop and engine counterrotate. 160hp rotary engine spinning 1800 rpm clockwise, driving a HUGE prop 900 rpm counter-clockwise through a gearbox.

That's.. genius... that might even be useful "now"

SyHopeful posted:

What were the starter setups on those big old piston setups? Doesn't look like a geared electric motor like on an automobile.

Depends on "old." Could be armstrong (Get out and turn the prop by hand..) It could be by cartriage (shotgun shell full of rocket motor that turned and air starter..) It could be an electric starter of various sorts. And I think I've even heard of compressed air starters.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Linedance posted:

The place is so busy that even what you're suggesting is difficult during moderate to busy times. The airport is already running at or over capacity with jets/tprops during peak times. There isn't mathematically enough room to put a Cessna on the pavement during those times.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Linedance posted:

I was thinking like sticking them on 4R if 9/10L are in use, or 22R/27R if 32R/L is in use

Landing on 4R locks down departures off the 9s that point at it. With new regulations pending, it would also lock down arrivals to those 9s from the time the 4R arrival was 3 miles out until it touched down and was at taxi speed.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 22, 2014

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Abe Froman, imo.

Dang, knowing that reference could have turned my post actually good.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Nerobro posted:

Depends on "old." Could be armstrong (Get out and turn the prop by hand..) It could be by cartriage (shotgun shell full of rocket motor that turned and air starter..) It could be an electric starter of various sorts. And I think I've even heard of compressed air starters.

Yeah everybody provided great answers. I was aware of the cartridge setups, air starters, etc. I should've been more specific, I was wondering about WW2 era stuff like Merlins and Allisons. Turns out it's inertial flywheel starters! Reminds me of that video of the guys firing up the Tiger tank, which also had a big hand-cranked flywheel for starting.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

Landing on 4R locks down departures off the 9s that point at it. With new regulations pending, it would also lock down arrivals to those 9s from the time the 4R arrival was 3 miles out until it touched down and was at taxi speed.

I figured there may be some regulation stuff, but what about instructions for short takeoff, short taxi, etc? I know at Heathrow, with its mere two runways, if you don't need the whole strip to take off, they'll put you on the runway halfway down so they can line up someone else at the other end and stuff like that. Of course there you don't have to worry about crossing traffic. I figure you should be able to tell the Cessna to land 4R, exit Yankee 2, or for 22R, to land and exit Whiskey. Should be no problem for a 172, and if it is, he gets told to go elsewhere. I'm sure that sort of poo poo would see you busted down to midnight cargo apron control faster than you could say "EZfreight taxi papa-alpha-alpha-quebec to south central cargo ramp goodnight" though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Duke Chin posted:

Gentleman, I have decided that THIS should be the new departure procedure for KSNA from now on.

Sssshhhh, don't give them any ideas.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Nerobro posted:

Compressed air starters are still used today -- the Vedeneyev M-14 radial engine, basically the only engine for Soviet-era general aviation aircraft and still powering experimentals and Russian aerobatic planes, uses compressed air to start.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Linedance posted:

I figured there may be some regulation stuff, but what about instructions for short takeoff, short taxi, etc? I know at Heathrow, with its mere two runways, if you don't need the whole strip to take off, they'll put you on the runway halfway down so they can line up someone else at the other end and stuff like that. Of course there you don't have to worry about crossing traffic. I figure you should be able to tell the Cessna to land 4R, exit Yankee 2, or for 22R, to land and exit Whiskey. Should be no problem for a 172, and if it is, he gets told to go elsewhere. I'm sure that sort of poo poo would see you busted down to midnight cargo apron control faster than you could say "EZfreight taxi papa-alpha-alpha-quebec to south central cargo ramp goodnight" though.

The stuff you're proposing is called Land And Hold Short Operations and is used at certain airports, but several conditions must exist for it to be applied legally. I can't speak to whether Ohare has such procedures in place or not, and for which runways. Practically speaking, a cessna's landing distance would be unlikely to cause a collision, but the rules are written with greater margins to mitigate risk.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

gently caress me, this would've been the coolest plane :saddowns:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Inacio posted:

The 7E7 was pretty sweet looking in the artists render portion of the development/sales process as well. See also Next-generation carriers, and pretty much everything else ever.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Inacio posted:

My Kerbal Spaceplane came to life! :D

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

I just remembered this video, from Ohare no less:

http://youtu.be/3zBdtNVa8N0

This is what happens when LAHSO goes wrong. Operational error on the part of the controller. The video explains it pretty adequately I think.

Actually not sure if LAHSO were in progress, or intended to be used here. I think the controller just plain forgot about the Atlas heavy rolling out on the runway after landing.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 22, 2014

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Man reading up on WWI planes makes me realize how utterly insane pilots were back then. Flying around in a wood and canvas contraption powered by a spinning engine with less horsepower than a modern day midrange sportbike, vulnerable to basically any firearm on the battlefield, hoping your dumb engine doesn't just spray all its oil into your face and your synchronization gear actually works and you don't shoot off your own propeller.

Then you get to all the silly things they did like parking your plane on top of a balloon to avoid detection.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Still beats the poo poo outta trench warfare.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Eej posted:

Man reading up on WWI planes makes me realize how utterly insane pilots were back then. Flying around in a wood and canvas contraption powered by a spinning engine with less horsepower than a modern day midrange sportbike, vulnerable to basically any firearm on the battlefield, hoping your dumb engine doesn't just spray all its oil into your face and your synchronization gear actually works and you don't shoot off your own propeller.

Synchronization gear... only after it was invented! Before that, it was metal deflector plates on the back of the prop.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Eej posted:

Then you get to all the silly things they did like parking your plane on top of a balloon to avoid detection.

The Albatros D.III was a very good fighter the Germans fielded mid war. It initially had a flaw: its engine radiator was mounted in an airfoil running in-front of the pilot, to the front of the top wing. So if it got a hole (say from oh I don't know a bullet) the pilot would take a face-full of scalding hot water. The Radiator was moved to the right at the factory and usually in the field once this flaw was discovered.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

Source please :stare:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2k06jn/iama_former_sr71_pilot_and_squadron_commander_ama/

SR-71 pilot Ask Me Anything on reddit. Neat stuff.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mike-o posted:

Source please :stare:

Supposedly Willy Coppens did it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Linedance posted:

Linedance posted:

Or GA aircraft could just practice touch-and-go's at one of the thousands of regional airports and untowered fields out there instead of blowing up the pattern at a major international airport.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, like Midway! :haw:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Psion posted:

Yeah, like Midway! :haw:

Just go out to Meigs like in flight simulator!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

vessbot posted:

Synchronization gear... only after it was invented! Before that, it was metal deflector plates on the back of the prop.

Wait, how did they prevent bullets from ricocheting back into the airframe? Or was that just An Accepted Risk of War before they figured out a not ridiculous way of doing it?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Eej posted:

Wait, how did they prevent bullets from ricocheting back into the airframe? Or was that just An Accepted Risk of War before they figured out a not ridiculous way of doing it?

http://www.firstworldwar.com/airwar/deflectorgear.htm

quote:

When Garros and Saulnier talked, early in 1915, they considered another approach - to attach steel deflector plates that would deflect any bullets that hit the propeller. These were triangular in shape, with the apex pointing to the pilot - the idea being that the bullets would be deflected off at an angle, but forwards of the aircraft, rather than bouncing back at the pilot.

Sounds safe...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Eej posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

hobbesmaster posted:

Judging from just the random day snap shot google earth took, they dont exactly house a lot of bush planes.
http://goo.gl/maps/Rx1xE