Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MaskedTai posted:

Really? When I was there back in June, I got a used Famicom and 3 games (SMB3, Mega Man 5, Final Fantasy 1) for ~7500-8000 yen. I think that's pretty great considering the US retro game market, especially since Mega Man 5 is goddamn expensive here.

I found that Super Potato was pretty high priced for games even when compared to the other retrogaming stores near their locations in Tokyo and Osaka. On the other hand, when it came to hardware their pricing was on the lower end for specialty stores. What Super Potato is good at is that they're the best stocked store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

What Super Potato is good at is that they're the best stocked store.

Being the best-stocked is easy if you're pricing high enough that no one's buying. :v:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

MaskedTai posted:

Really? When I was there back in June, I got a used Famicom and 3 games (SMB3, Mega Man 5, Final Fantasy 1) for ~7500-8000 yen. I think that's pretty great considering the US retro game market, especially since Mega Man 5 is goddamn expensive here.

That's overpriced for the JP market, which is where they sell, which is decidedly not the US market. I got a CIB FDS for ¥1500 because it came from Book Off and not Super Potato.

Contrast : the cheapest current eBay listing for a CIB FDS is :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NINTENDO-DI...=item19f483b7ad

I paid less than $15 USD.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 16, 2014

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

MaskedTai posted:

Super Potato is notorious for being the most expensive store in the area, it's only worth buying there as a last resort if you can't find what you want anywhere else. It's about a 30 to 40% markup in exchange for a really big catalog.

SMB3, MM5 and FF1 are very inexpensive games. Around 1000 yen each, less for FF1. Regular Famicoms are also really inexpensive being around 3000 yen depending on condition. So yeah. you'd end up overpaying around 2000 yen from Super Potato most likely.

imo the best store to buy from is the Mandarake in Nakano Broadway, they have a pretty sizable catalog and the prices are way cheaper. And if you really want to cheap out then probably hit a ton of Book/Hard Off locations.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Caitlin posted:

Partially rarity, but also because Super Potato is loving expensive.

I know that Super Potato jacks up the price, but Plok has around the same price as theirs on Amazon and Rakuten.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uznare posted:

SMB3, MM5 and FF1 are very inexpensive games. Around 1000 yen each, less for FF1. Regular Famicoms are also really inexpensive being around 3000 yen depending on condition. So yeah. you'd end up overpaying around 2000 yen from Super Potato most likely.

I saw the FF1 + FF2 cart for 100 yen. That game is just absurdly cheap.

zari-gani posted:

I know that Super Potato jacks up the price, but Plok has around the same price as theirs on Amazon and Rakuten.

I think on rare items there's less room for the Super Potato mark up.

And like I said, I found Super Potato to be cheaper than the other specialty stores for hardware. I got my Famicom there for 2000 yen when they started at other locations I checked at around 4000.

Of course, if I could have found a system at Book Off then it would have been even cheaper (I should have bought that complete in box Super Famicom for 1400 yen...).

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I found it hard to find decent retro games at Book Offs, probably because I mostly stuck to large cities. When I went to a slightly more rural area, I was able to buy an unopened CIB of Kirby's Dream Course SFC for 350 yen at a Hard Off. An opened CIB was 2500 yen at Super Potato I think. SP for sure has an amazing selection though, so if you don't mind spending a bit more in exchange for not having to hunt through other shops, it's all right. For tourists, anyway -- if you live there, Amazon is the answer.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Nope.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I'm not a fan of the guy who made this, but here, have a map of options that exist besides Super Potato :

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa...mbed&dg=feature

It's slightly old so some may have closed by now but there are so many options.

MaskedTai
May 30, 2011

Caitlin posted:

I'm not a fan of the guy who made this, but here, have a map of options that exist besides Super Potato :

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa...mbed&dg=feature

It's slightly old so some may have closed by now but there are so many options.

I'd say "I wish I had this map when I was visiting Japan so I didn't have to spend more at the store I went to", but I had all of two days by transit to see a couple of places around Tokyo, so I'm just happy with what I got out of it.

Makes sense though, obviously the stores around a place as populated as Akihabara isn't going to be "value". Still cheaper than the US market, so I'm happy.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

It's cool to be happy with your purchase, not so much trying to knock it as I'm recommending alternatives for those who travel (or maybe even those who live there).

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Heck, I appreciate that map, as I'm about to be in Tokyo for several weeks. Thank you!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Who wants a hint on an upcoming episode?

That should narrow things down!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
This is a question rather tangentially related to GCCX, but: a friend of mine does a weekly stream where he plays video games, and I provide him with episodes of GCCX that have been volume-balanced and cut into three segments (so he can play one before, during, and after the stream). For a long while his stream was on Livestream, but Livestream kind of sucks. He looked at Twitch, but it didn't work too well for some reason. Then he moved on to Hitbox, only the Hitbox admins just came down on him for the GCCX segments, saying that if he wasn't actively playing vidyagames, he didn't belong on their service. Are there even any streaming services left he could try?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Finally, something to spruce up the ol wall.

Fernin
Sep 26, 2014

FredMSloniker posted:

This is a question rather tangentially related to GCCX, but: a friend of mine does a weekly stream where he plays video games, and I provide him with episodes of GCCX that have been volume-balanced and cut into three segments (so he can play one before, during, and after the stream). For a long while his stream was on Livestream, but Livestream kind of sucks. He looked at Twitch, but it didn't work too well for some reason. Then he moved on to Hitbox, only the Hitbox admins just came down on him for the GCCX segments, saying that if he wasn't actively playing vidyagames, he didn't belong on their service. Are there even any streaming services left he could try?

He can give Ustream a try, they're very lax when it comes to stuff like this, won't give him any problems in that regard. There are a couple more indie streaming services out there, but none of them are really garnering any huge amount of notice yet. Tell your friend good luck with his streams, sounds like a pretty cool way to do things.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Random Stranger posted:

The Final Fantasy 1 episode, where Arino dies to Astos and hasn't saved since before the marsh cave.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

The White Dragon posted:

The Final Fantasy 1 episode, where Arino dies to Astos and hasn't saved since before the marsh cave.

If only.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Gutcruncher posted:

Finally, something to spruce up the ol wall.

I'll trade you my first born child for zari's GCCX movie poster.

Random Stranger posted:

The evil part of me that loves Arino screwing up can't wait. :allears:

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Really prefer the US box art.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Dynamite Headdy?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

A segment where Kibe describes the Dreamcast to Arino

Edit: Wait I reversed the names, joke ruined

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Duckula posted:

Dynamite Headdy?

You don't save in that.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Three classy guys at AP Ishida's wedding

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Why is a ghost stalking Abe? Thats a manga Id wanna read!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
A thought occurred to me today: does Kibe know about Brazil? How the Master System won the console war, and is still(?) getting games? Sounds like the perfect excuse for a trip episode to me.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Master System "won" the console wars only if you don't factor in the countless Dendy like NES clones we've got here. Maybe it is a regional thing but it's much easier to find someone with nostalgic feelings about Contra than Alex Kidd.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

Why is a ghost stalking Abe?

If you were a ghost, would you not stalk Abe?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

blakyoshi posted:

If you were a ghost, would you not stalk Abe?

Abe once watched a cursed video tape. The voice on the phone went, "You'll di... uh... er... dine in seven days."

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I forgot to post this earlier, but this happened a few days ago.

I know it's not super important (and I know I could change my birthday to be the current day to get a shitload of DC points everyday), but I thought the new voice clip and point bonus were a nice birthday gift from virtual evil king Arino. Plus, the challenge for that day was for a game I'm actually pretty good at, so that was a nice little addition. :)

Also, I'm totally proud of not getting any of the bronze/give up stickers. :smug:

Gutcruncher posted:

It's the source of Abe's awesomeness. :science:

Obeast fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 20, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Japanese Phone Box posted:

Master System "won" the console wars only if you don't factor in the countless Dendy like NES clones we've got here. Maybe it is a regional thing but it's much easier to find someone with nostalgic feelings about Contra than Alex Kidd.

I admit I don't really know the details. I've just always heard about Brazil loving the Master System probably more than anywhere else, and therefore thought Kibe would be interested.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If nothing else, we have Brazil to thank for the Master System Girl:

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 20, 2014

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

That dude in Brazil held a woman hostage for 10 hours with the Light Phaser so there's that.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

It's his Stand: 「Born To Be Wild」

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Obeast posted:

I forgot to post this earlier, but this happened a few days ago.
I know it's not super important (and I know I could change my birthday to be the current day to get a shitload of DC points everyday), but I thought the new voice clip and point bonus were a nice birthday gift from virtual evil king Arino. Plus, the challenge for that day was for a game I'm actually pretty good at, so that was a nice little addition. :)

Also, I'm totally proud of not getting any of the bronze/give up stickers. :smug:
I had great intentions to play the daily challenges and unlocking all bonuses, but without cheating, it's not worth it. After you get to the third cycle of the 45 challenges, a lot of them start end up taking 10-20 minutes to beat. Although the game are fun, they're not fun enough to dedicate that much time a week to them.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Are arino and the gang at a wedding? Lots of pics of them in suits on twitter.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Acer Pilot posted:

Are arino and the gang at a wedding? Lots of pics of them in suits on twitter.

Scroll up.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Welp. Thanks, knew that looked familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Today (October 23rd) is VE Suda's birthday. He used to have a Twitter account, but it seems he deleted it.