Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

When Professor Zoom was brought back, he somehow depowered Zoom and turned him back into Hunter Zolomon in a wheelchair. And that was it. We didn't even get a line of dialogue out of Zolomon in response. It was just Johns taking him off the table because gently caress the awesome new character he created. Classics, man!

Coincidentally, the existence of Zoom perfectly measures when my interest in DC began and ended.

It was Inertia who depowered Hunter in the Rogues Revenge mini series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

It was Inertia who depowered Hunter in the Rogues Revenge mini series.

Ah, right. Point still stands.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
For the record, if I ask a comics question in relation to a tv show, you don't need to spoiler the comics stuff, and you don't need to spoil the tv stuff unless I asked slightly before the next tv episode aired and due to timezone differences I might read your response before I can see tonights episode. I read all the spoilers about Zoom/Reverse Flash and I appreciate the responses. I asked the question because in the TV thread some people were using Reverse Flash and Zoom interchangeably and some weren't, so I was confused.

Spoiler tags aren't a bad idea in the "General Question" thread though, since someone else might have a completely unrelated question and doesn't want Flash spoilers (comic or tv). Just make sure to quote the question, so people know what they might be spoiling.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Gavok posted:

Coincidentally, the existence of Zoom perfectly measures when my interest in DC began and ended.

There's some reason that DC always seems to be trying to shed or repudiate the previous decade of publication; right now they're trying to throw off the '00s, but before that you had the revival of old characters which seemed to be a reaction to the '90s-era disposal of classic characters. Maybe that's true at Marvel too, but it really seems more pronounced and vociferous at DC.

Maybe the Crisis just opened the floodgates to create the attitude that writers are supposed to "fix" the DCU? Has there ever been any insight into what's behind DC's constant cycle of writer revolutions?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Hunter Zolomon sucks.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
One of the CA folks wrote up a thing talking about how DC was originally for kids back in the silver age, and once Marvel came along they tried hard to appeal to the older crowd, but this meant ignoring or rewriting 50 years of history.

There are and always have been better ways out of their conundrum, but at some level they are stuck on the idea that it is better to rewrite history than have one that doesn't make sense.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Hunter Zolomon sucks.

gently caress YOUUUUUUUU.

(Kinda does, but I still loved the character. The art in his introduction art is my favorite, he looks so inhuman compared to the creepy pervert look of the original Zoom)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Hunter Zolomon sucks.

Yeah. He sucks at not making Wally West a better hero.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
It's nitpicking but Inertia is only a Thawne because Impulse is. Clone business.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Dumb Wolverine question - back when he had his healing factor and wasn't dead, what happened if he got decapitated? Like, did he grow a new head, or a new body, or have to have the parts put back together, or ... did this ever happen at all? I need to know. Thanks.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Dumb Wolverine question - back when he had his healing factor and wasn't dead, what happened if he got decapitated? Like, did he grow a new head, or a new body, or have to have the parts put back together, or ... did this ever happen at all? I need to know. Thanks.

In the Ultimate Universe he just survived as a head, in 616 I am pretty sure it never happened and would have died from it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

A Tin Of Beans posted:

It would be a little hard to since his spine was adamantium. However, when he did not have it he might have been beheaded and they could place the head back on the neck. I know this has happened to deadpool but it was in Otherworld

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

It would be a little hard to since his spine was adamantium. However, when he did not have it he might have been beheaded and they could place the head back on the neck. I know this has happened to deadpool but it was in Otherworld

I have complained about it before (:spergin:), but I remember one of the Wolverine books back in the '80s having a scene where a big, strong guy tried to pull Wolverine's arms off. He failed because of adamantium bones. Unless there are also adamantium chain links holding the bones together, you should be able to pull them apart. Similarly, his vertebrae might have some adamantium, but they're not interlocking, are they?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

One of the many, many "Professor X is actually an rear end in a top hat" stories from the mid- to late-2000s featured all of Xavier's plans for taking out the team if the need ever arose; for Wolverine he recommended removing his head and then taking it a few miles away from his body and keeping it in an adamantium box. Make of that what you will.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Metal Loaf posted:

One of the many, many "Professor X is actually an rear end in a top hat" stories from the mid- to late-2000s featured all of Xavier's plans for taking out the team if the need ever arose; for Wolverine he recommended removing his head and then taking it a few miles away from his body and keeping it in an adamantium box. Make of that what you will.

Those were actually from 1996 and seemed like a response to Justice Leagues Tower of Babel. I also remember hearing Wolverine being decapitated and that must be where its from.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Not Wolverine, but I'm reading through Sixth Gun right now. The woman with the gun that makes her immortal got her hand (holding the gun) cut off. The hand grew a new body, then shot the original, handless but very much alive, woman.

Edit:

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 22, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waterhaul posted:

In the Ultimate Universe he just survived as a head, in 616 I am pretty sure it never happened and would have died from it.

Man after he regenerated from a skeleton a couple of times, all bets were off.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

prefect posted:

I have complained about it before (:spergin:), but I remember one of the Wolverine books back in the '80s having a scene where a big, strong guy tried to pull Wolverine's arms off. He failed because of adamantium bones. Unless there are also adamantium chain links holding the bones together, you should be able to pull them apart. Similarly, his vertebrae might have some adamantium, but they're not interlocking, are they?

Just assume there are some kind of adamantium chain links then.

Lurdiak posted:

Man after he regenerated from a skeleton a couple of times, all bets were off.

Those always had bullshit caveats though like he was suped up by magic or mgh, still dumb though. Especially when one of the X-23 series had him bleeding to death because she shoved dirt in the wounds.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 22, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Those were actually from 1996 and seemed like a response to Justice Leagues Tower of Babel. I also remember hearing Wolverine being decapitated and that must be where its from.

Well, if it's from 1996, it would predate "Tower of Babel" by about five years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SirDan3k posted:

Those always had bullshit caveats though like he was suped up by magic or mgh, still dumb though.

If I recall, when Daniel Way had a nuke land on him, he wasn't souped up in any way. He just survived a nuke by regenerating from a skeleton.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
In a What If from when he first joined the X-men he was secretly working for Magneto. In the end he double crosses Mags, and Magneto, in a fit of murderous rage, pops Wolverine's claws and has Wolverine decapitate himself. He didn't survive that one.

Metal Loaf posted:

That was from Onslaught (the first time around). It was a lot like Tower of Babel, except that as each x-man entered the secret chamber it started rattling off different ways to kill off each person. Cyclops and Jean are here, Beast must have gone nuts, right? Well, here's how you kill him. Oh, Beast, didn't see you there. You must all be here because Iceman discovered his true power and is now the strongest mutant on earth, right? Here's how you handle him. Oh, Bobby we were just talking about you... Is that everyone? OK, it must be me, Professor X who went crazy this time.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

If I recall, when Daniel Way had a nuke land on him, he wasn't souped up in any way. He just survived a nuke by regenerating from a skeleton.

That falls under the bullshit caveat that he was being written by Daniel Way.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah but Daniel Way

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

In a What If from when he first joined the X-men he was secretly working for Magneto. In the end he double crosses Mags, and Magneto, in a fit of murderous rage, pops Wolverine's claws and has Wolverine decapitate himself. He didn't survive that one.

See, that's one way that you couldn't kill Wolverine. Three claws means that some of them are being blocked/deflected by the metal skeleton. You have to pop one claw and then use that to sever the head.

Honestly, decapitation seems to be the worst way to kill Wolverine. I mean, it'll do it, but you've got to get into the space in the vertebrae and that's pretty difficult. I mean, if you're Magneto or the Juggernaut you can just grab the skull and feet and pull in opposite directions, but if you're using a sword it's just not going to work.

It seems to me that you're better off taking advantage of the fact that he has to breathe. Disable Wolverine, restrain him, and pour molten lead down his throat. You should get a nice coating of his lungs as it burns on the way down and that'll take care of him.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
You could also regular drown him, like Daken. You don't have to go completely Garth Ennis.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Just have the Sentry throw him into the sun. Problem solved.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
We are talking about a man who regenerated himself from a single drop of blood.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Madkal posted:

Injustice Superman already went over that with Lobo when you hit the sun there's no blood.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

You could also regular drown him, like Daken. You don't have to go completely Garth Ennis.

Well, sure. And it's not like he can swim. Wolverine's greatest foe is the Olympic sized swimming pool. The problem is that Wolverine's healing powers are so magical I wouldn't trust that he could die directly of of oxygen deprivation, starvation, or thirst. Making sure that even if his lungs come back that he won't be able to use them is a good option.

And it's a bit more dramatic than pushing him off the diving board.

Also, any plan to kill Wolverine really has to start with "disable him". It's been done plenty of times so we know it's possible, then you just have to pick your methodology.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 23, 2014

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Read more What Ifs. Dude bites the dust about as often as a Spider-Man.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

Madkal posted:

Lobo?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Lobo was created as a Wolverine parody and this is one of the aspects that it ripped off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Lobo was created as a Wolverine parody and this is one of the aspects that it ripped off.

Let's be fair, at the time that Lobo was regenerating from single drops of blood Wolverine could still be stopped with a shotgun and took hours to heal instead of seconds.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Let's be fair, at the time that Lobo was regenerating from single drops of blood Wolverine could still be stopped with a shotgun and took hours to heal instead of seconds.

Wolverine could be killed with a shotgun back then. Originally it was kind of like Time Lord regeneration rules. Can heal from anything as long as he doesn't die from it first, and he was about as durable as the average (albeit really fit, and possibly with superhuman agility) human.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Wolverine could be killed with a shotgun back then. Originally it was kind of like Time Lord regeneration rules. Can heal from anything as long as he doesn't die from it first, and he was about as durable as the average (albeit really fit, and possibly with superhuman agility) human.

With the exception of skeletal trauma, which he was immune to, obviously.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Madkal posted:

Pretty sure he was touching the M'Krn Crystal when he did this. The crystal did it not his healing factor.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shawn posted:

Pretty sure he was touching the M'Krn Crystal when he did this. The crystal did it not his healing factor.

Different crystal.

From Uncanny X-Men Annual #11.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, in his classic fight with the Silver Samurai, it actually takes him two months to heal up because his wounds are so severe, but his power levels have ramped up over time. Really, he heals at the speed of plot; with the number of writers doing Wolverine stories at any given moment, you'll likely never get a true consensus on how powerful his healing factor is.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

bobkatt013 posted:

Those were actually from 1996 and seemed like a response to Justice Leagues Tower of Babel.

That'd be rather difficult, since Tower of Babel came out in 2000. efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So the leaked trailer made me wonder: has Hulkbuster armor ever worked?