Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
I still remember the build up for the steiners/outsiders match for hog wild '97 and it was completely ridiculous. The outsiders run them off the road and so the steiners, to get revenge, say theyre going to take their belts. The outsiders retained in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

ColeM posted:

I still remember the build up for the steiners/outsiders match for hog wild '97 and it was completely ridiculous. The outsiders run them off the road and so the steiners, to get revenge, say theyre going to take their belts. The outsiders retained in the end.

The back issue of the Observer just came out about this and it was something else. Death of WCW, indeed.

Essentially, Nash and Hall wanted to retain the titles so they told Bischoff there were too many title changes as of late. Bischoff then scheduled Road Wild to not have any title changes. Hogan then had his say in which he wanted the world title back.

So, yes, there ended up being a title change at the PPV. Luger had just become world champion for the first time on the previous Nitro in a hot angle, and Hogan ended the PPV with the title again.

WCW had major plans with all the new champions (except maybe Luger) with new programs. WCW had even sent out advertising for these new programs. Those plans all had to be scrapped because Hall and Nash didn't want to lose theirs. Just another stick in the spoke that ultimately caused WCW's downfall.

Not to mention, the PPV was horrible.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 19, 2014

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Daniel Bryan posted:

WCW had major plans with all the new champions (except major Luger) with new programs. WCW had even sent out advertising for these new programs. Those plans all had to be scrapped because Hall and Nash didn't want to lose theirs.

Not to mention, the PPV was horrible.

Like what plans?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Like what plans?

Alex Wright was scheduled to lose the Cruiserweight Title to Chris Jericho. Wright was going to move to a TV title program with Ultimo Dragon, and Jericho was scheduled to then be in a cruiserweight title program with Eddie Guerrero.

The Steiners were scheduled to work a program as champions with Dean Malenko and Chris Benoit.

They sent advertising out for that stuff, and could not deliver it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The tv all was set up to do all that stuff too.

Also, it was noted that to be fair Hogan should have the title to drop it to Sting. :ironicat:

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
That hogan is an honest business man. He would never abuse his creative control clause and refuse a clean job to anyone. Not even sting. The match they had at starrcade was incredible.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
gently caress me. I typed my previous post before finishing Hog Wild 96 and man...was that a poo poo show. That Benoit/Malenko match is a great technical wrestling match, but in front of the worst crowd. It goes to the time limit and then 2 sudden death (As it turns out sudden death is just someone being pinned) additions. Both men try their best, but the crowd are mostly silent, until they boo it at the end.

Heenan is totally wasted. It's not clear at the start of the show, but the moment the Flair/Eddie match starts he's slurring so much it's like he's had a stroke.

This is a sample of his commentary.

"Eddie..... (Pauses for literally ten to fifteen seconds)....isn't good enough to beat Flair. Flair is too good."

Now imagine a man slurring that out instead. At one point he refers to Giant as Andre. Dusty and Tony have to take over commentary because there ends up being a lot of dead air from Heenan. I know Heenan didn't give a poo poo about WCW, but it's sad to see him go down this road.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

DrVenkman posted:

gently caress me. I typed my previous post before finishing Hog Wild 96 and man...was that a poo poo show. That Benoit/Malenko match is a great technical wrestling match, but in front of the worst crowd. It goes to the time limit and then 2 sudden death (As it turns out sudden death is just someone being pinned) additions. Both men try their best, but the crowd are mostly silent, until they boo it at the end.

Heenan is totally wasted. It's not clear at the start of the show, but the moment the Flair/Eddie match starts he's slurring so much it's like he's had a stroke.

This is a sample of his commentary.

"Eddie..... (Pauses for literally ten to fifteen seconds)....isn't good enough to beat Flair. Flair is too good."

Now imagine a man slurring that out instead. At one point he refers to Giant as Andre. Dusty and Tony have to take over commentary because there ends up being a lot of dead air from Heenan. I know Heenan didn't give a poo poo about WCW, but it's sad to see him go down this road.

Heenan was slurring his words about 2 years before he was diagnosed with the throat cancer that eventually changed his voice forever. I know he slurred a lot on his Highspots shoot interview back in (I think) 2002. It's possible it's all connected to that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

fart blood posted:

Heenan was slurring his words about 2 years before he was diagnosed with the throat cancer that eventually changed his voice forever. I know he slurred a lot on his Highspots shoot interview back in (I think) 2002. It's possible it's all connected to that.

Granted, but the dude sounds legit out of his tree here. He's fine later on Nitro. He also tells Dusty he loves him and doesn't say anything for a while.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Things are moving quickly in '96. The Giant has been unveiled as a member of the NWO, Jericho and Super Calo have shown up and the booking still doesn't make sense.

Konnan has inexplicably turned into a hispanic gangster and he sounds like he's putting his accent on.

Glacier, the man they hyped the gently caress out of for MONTHS, made his first appearance...on WCW Pro (I had to look it up). According to the promo package they showed it doesn't look like he wrestled, just did some flips. Scratch that, I checked with Wikipedia, turns out he wrestled THE GAMBLER, who thus far hasn't appeared on Nitro. I wonder when it was exactly that they knew they had a dud.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You know how Backlash 2000 is considered to be the PPV that WM should have been?

Tonight at 8 we're showing SOULED OUT 98 which in some ways is the PPV that Starrcade 97 was and should have been. Why?

Well several of the matches we got bait and switched on will be on this card!

Kevin Nash vs The Giant

and

Raven vs Chris Benoit will finally happen!

On top of that we'll see Larry Legend vs Scott Hall, the match they built up for six months only to give us Bischoff vs Larry instead!

Also on the card:

Chris Jericho vs Rey Jr for the cruiserweight title

Booker T vs Rick Martel for the TV title

Bret Hart vs Ric Flair

Lex Luger vs Randy Savage

a crazy lucha match

AND SO MUCH MORE INCLUDING THE FATE OF THE WORLD TITLE!!!!

Tune in tonight at 7:30 for Cowboy Who? and 8 for SOULED OUT!!!! (it's actually a really good show.)

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is this the one that drew pretty well and they had to deny that it was because it was Flair/ Hart?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

You know how Backlash 2000 is considered to be the PPV that WM should have been?

Tonight at 8 we're showing SOULED OUT 98 which in some ways is the PPV that Starrcade 97 was and should have been. Why?

Well several of the matches we got bait and switched on will be on this card!

Kevin Nash vs The Giant

and

Raven vs Chris Benoit will finally happen!

On top of that we'll see Larry Legend vs Scott Hall, the match they built up for six months only to give us Bischoff vs Larry instead!

Also on the card:

Chris Jericho vs Rey Jr for the cruiserweight title

Booker T vs Rick Martel for the TV title

Bret Hart vs Ric Flair

Lex Luger vs Randy Savage

a crazy lucha match

AND SO MUCH MORE INCLUDING THE FATE OF THE WORLD TITLE!!!!

Tune in tonight at 7:30 for Cowboy Who? and 8 for SOULED OUT!!!! (it's actually a really good show.)

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

why did dusty turn heel why

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

ayn rand hand job posted:

why did dusty turn heel why

Their pay windah was just too sweet?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

'96 Update:

The Glacier train is dead on arrival. It's his Nitro debut and they've run a promo package....Here's a man who shouldn't have been allowed to speak. When I see Glacier, I don't think of a Southern Gentleman.

Sean Waltman has just appeared and one of the things I forgot about the NWO are the 'fans' that they're garnering. Clearly they're plants, but they're handing out flyers and selling merchandise. At this early stage it's actually coming across like a good angle. I mean, ignoring all the Hogan bullshit of course.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DrVenkman posted:

'96 Update:

The Glacier train is dead on arrival. It's his Nitro debut and they've run a promo package....Here's a man who shouldn't have been allowed to speak. When I see Glacier, I don't think of a Southern Gentleman.
Funny you put it that way, because I thought he was trying to be Chris Adams in Mortal Kombat gear.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I forget. Did Glacier mostly only fight jobbers and Mortis/Wrath at first? I remember watching him, and his feuds were with the Mortal Kombat-ripoff guys, for the most part, so he felt like a sideshow.

And was this around the same time as the Mortal Kombat show that came on after Nitro, or just after the movie was out?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

DrVenkman posted:

'96 Update:

Sean Waltman has just appeared and one of the things I forgot about the NWO are the 'fans' that they're garnering. Clearly they're plants, but they're handing out flyers and selling merchandise. At this early stage it's actually coming across like a good angle. I mean, ignoring all the Hogan bullshit of course.

Glacier was supposed to be Rob Van Dam. He turned them down to stay at ECW.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mainly just remember those Glacier promos airing forever and ever and ever and ever and ever before he actually debuted. It was completely ridiculous.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
Whole lot of unacceptable Glacier hate happening right now :mad:

I loved his feud with Wrath and Mortis. That and the cruiser weights kept me coming back to Nitro.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Glacier was supposed to be Rob Van Dam. He turned them down to stay at ECW.

hahaha really? that makes a lot of sense actually

Red
Apr 15, 2003

BlueArmyMan posted:

I loved his feud with Wrath and Mortis. That and the cruiser weights kept me coming back to Nitro.

Oh, it was neat, but the guy who helped Glacier even the odds was ... Ernest Miller?

I do want to say that Perry Saturn ended up being really angry about the cryo kick, and there was a feud over that. Or something.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Red posted:

Oh, it was neat, but the guy who helped Glacier even the odds was ... Ernest Miller?

I do want to say that Perry Saturn ended up being really angry about the cryo kick, and there was a feud over that. Or something.

That confused me too, but when I was 15, I didn't care too much. Miller was a martial artist, Glacier was Sub-Zero, it worked.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Glacier had a heel turn that no one remembers and a heel run on Saturday night. Once he reappeared on Nitro he was back to being a babyface.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BlueArmyMan posted:

I loved his feud with Wrath and Mortis.

Me too, I loved Wrath especially. It helped that him and Mortis and Glacier seemed to exist in their own separate universe apart from the rest of WCW... because when they eventually crossed over Wrath was instantly squashed by Nash for no good reason, and that was that.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 22, 2014

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

BlueArmyMan posted:

Whole lot of unacceptable Glacier hate happening right now :mad:

Agree. It was a fun midcard feud that was easy to follow. JUST LET HIS HAVE HIS STUPID HAT MORTIS, JEEZ. I think a lot of it was overshadowed by all the other angles going on but it still had all the hallmarks of Kevin Sullivan's solid booking approach.

And Earnest Miller would go on to be amazing and awesome.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Red posted:

Excuse me but that's world karate champion Ernest Miller to you pal

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Red posted:

I forget. Did Glacier mostly only fight jobbers and Mortis/Wrath at first? I remember watching him, and his feuds were with the Mortal Kombat-ripoff guys, for the most part, so he felt like a sideshow.

And was this around the same time as the Mortal Kombat show that came on after Nitro, or just after the movie was out?

He keeps feuding with Mortis and then Wrath for loving ever.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

coconono posted:

Agree. It was a fun midcard feud that was easy to follow. JUST LET HIS HAVE HIS STUPID HAT MORTIS, JEEZ. I think a lot of it was overshadowed by all the other angles going on but it still had all the hallmarks of Kevin Sullivan's solid booking approach.

I wasn't up on wrestling history at that point, so all I saw was dudes who looked like they were out of Mortal Kombat, and I adored it.

Glacier also ruled in WCW/NWO Revenge.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Glacier really was a cool concept.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

coconono posted:

The best part about Mortis was trying to get into The Flock. He should've kept the mask, but ditched it to become Kanyon for some reason.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

oatgan posted:

Excuse me but that's world karate champion Ernest Miller to you pal

World Karate Champion AND karate trainer of UFC Hall of Famer Mark "The Hammer" Coleman.

Also he had this theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jObCu4j4ax0

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I will fight anyone who impugns the good name of Coach Buzz Stern.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

1st AD posted:

karate trainer of UFC Hall of Famer Mark "The Hammer" Coleman.

loving Hammer House

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

Me too, I loved Wrath especially. It helped that him and Mortis and Glacier seemed to exist in their own separate universe apart from the rest of WCW... because when they eventually crossed over Wrath was instantly squashed by Nash for no good reason, and that was that.

I have fond memories of Wrath having a super-rad winning streak gimmick for a while.

And then I think he faced Nash in the runup to Nash/Goldberg and got absolutely destroyed. Damnit, Nash...

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

rotinaj posted:

I have fond memories of Wrath having a super-rad winning streak gimmick for a while.

And then I think he faced Nash in the runup to Nash/Goldberg and got absolutely destroyed. Damnit, Nash...

It didn't really matter. Wrath looked like a geek for the first, what, six months after debuting. To Kevin "Big Depeche Mode Fan" (The Best Ever) Nash's credit, I believe he sold some of Wrath's offense in a tag match in late '97.

makoto20
Nov 23, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

Glacier had a heel turn that no one remembers and a heel run on Saturday night. Once he reappeared on Nitro he was back to being a babyface.

I remember it. "That's how it feels when your buddy ain't there to help ya!"
Redneck Sub Zero

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Red posted:

His first match was on WCW PRO against THE GAMBLER. His first Nitro match was against Big Bubba and is hilarious. He's doing all of his martial arts poo poo and Bubba just has to fall over a couple of times.

For ages the promos were saying that he was going to appear in July. Then July came and they stopped saying a date. It wasn't worth the wait.

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013
As a kid I thought Mortis was cool because in the WCW comic he unmasked to reveal - Rick Rude!

Boy was reality disappointing (not criticising Kanyon, he grew into a great character in his own right)

Edit - gently caress rereading Gavoks article on it now he was 'The Ghoul' in the comic....another childhood awesome misunderstanding killed :-(

wizardstick fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

ChampRamp posted:

It didn't really matter. Wrath looked like a geek for the first, what, six months after debuting. To Kevin "Big Depeche Mode Fan" (The Best Ever) Nash's credit, I believe he sold some of Wrath's offense in a tag match in late '97.

Did to me. I didn't see Wrath's first six months after debuting. I started watching WCW the night after Fall Brawl '98.