Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I do like how the dodging and blocking are like Revengeance rather than Bayonetta and you have to use both for different things. In Bayonetta I don't think I ever blocked 'till I had the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa, then I don't think I ever dodged. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I could do without the Naga sections. Right now I'm bashing my head against the part where you fight three mecha tanks on extreme and I just want to move on.

One time my chi meter started flashing, is that a sign of doing the proper timing for a powered up move? If so, I really suck at doing it. I have the item that gives infinite chi and it lasted the rest of the level. I didn't notice any change in the moves I was doing.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Evil Eagle posted:

I just played through the game.

Once you get one or two bending powers, the game gets really fun. All four movesets are completely unique and you can switch between them all mid combo. Dodge offsetting from Bayonetta is also included. The game would be boring if you mash X and never hit Y, but if you give it a chance this is a really fun little action game. It's worth $15. I didn't mind the Naga sequences, hell I liked the one in the ice level. The final boss was great and ended just like a platinum game should. The first time you activate Avatar Mode is just plain amazing. Definitely going to replay the game on extreme and unlock the last few accessories and moves.

I posted:

There also isn't the kind of synergy I would hope for in terms of switching bending on the fly-when you switch styles, it begins a new combo string, so you can't do like, the first two hits as water and then finish with earth or something.

You can definitely do this. Switching between styles like this made the game for me. It may not be necessary on normal mode but it is really fun.

Maybe my hands are dumb or something but I swear I would like, hit twice with Water and then switch to Earth for the finisher and it would start a new Earth chain. Like, [][]/\ is an Earth combo, so I would do [][] in Water and switch to Earth, but that /\ wouldn't be the same as if I had hit Earth [][]. If that makes sense.
Regardless, I did love how each style had it's purpose-I didn't really like Earth at first until I realized it completely owns for one-on-one because of the stagger. Also Airbending is awesome and I can't wait to see how broken the beginning of the game is with it. Does Naga get any Airbending moves on those stages when you replay?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pierson posted:

I do like how the dodging and blocking are like Revengeance rather than Bayonetta and you have to use both for different things. In Bayonetta I don't think I ever blocked 'till I had the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa, then I don't think I ever dodged. :v:

Bayonetta did not have a block until you got the counter accessory anyway.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Humerus posted:

Does Naga get any Airbending moves on those stages when you replay?

Yeah, it's a speed boost that also lets you jump higher.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Humerus posted:

Does Naga get any Airbending moves on those stages when you replay?

Yep. Naga gets a speed up move. The downside is that it also makes you jump insanely far which is actually really detrimental if there's a series of consecutive pits coming up. You basically need to have Earthbending charged to compensate and even that can not be enough sometimes.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Another question for anyone who's done the probending stuff-one of the tips says that as you level Fire and Earth, it makes Mako and Bolin better in probeding-is this a huge difference (that you can tell) or will probending always just come down to you anyway? I want to try to do it on Ace but if it will be beneficial to level my Earth and Firebending I'll hold off.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Evil Eagle posted:

Bayonetta did not have a block until you got the counter accessory anyway.
Man now I just want to go play Bayonetta again but I sold my 360. :(

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
countering in Bayonetta was hard as poo poo. That was the major roadblock for me when they force you to do it to enter witch time on the harder difficulties.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pierson posted:

Man now I just want to go play Bayonetta again but I sold my 360. :(

Well it's coming out on Wii U in 2 days if you have that. As is Bayonetta 2.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Silentman0 posted:

Just so everyone knows: there's old-fashioned button-press codes that unlock 2 new costumes and 1 new item. The new item doubles your attacks, and is kind of over-powered.

The accessory sounds pretty awesome. I love playing overpowered characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Humerus posted:

Another question for anyone who's done the probending stuff-one of the tips says that as you level Fire and Earth, it makes Mako and Bolin better in probeding-is this a huge difference (that you can tell) or will probending always just come down to you anyway? I want to try to do it on Ace but if it will be beneficial to level my Earth and Firebending I'll hold off.

At max level Bolin and Mako are incredibly effective. You can't let them solo the stages but they'll frequently hold their own and pretty regularly will knock out opponents without your help. The biggest flaw I've seen is that the AI isn't great at counter-countering which tends to get them oneshotted. If they decide to try dodging they're almost unhittable.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wow, I was liking the game up until these dumb robot fights. They are SO BAD. Maybe there's something I'm not getting here, but even with health items I can barely survive long enough to beat them. It's really frustrating having to fight these things.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wow, I was liking the game up until these dumb robot fights. They are SO BAD. Maybe there's something I'm not getting here, but even with health items I can barely survive long enough to beat them. It's really frustrating having to fight these things.

They were a pain for me right up until the point when I figured out what the point of charging was. If you charge up an attack with triangle/y and then dodge without firing the attack off, it'll charge your chi and all of your attacks will do more damage until it winds down, which helps immensely against the robots. Also, you have to learn when to parry and when to dodge, if you stick close to it and use earthbending, it'll use parryable attacks more often.

Silentman0 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 22, 2014

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Silentman0 posted:

They a pain for me right up until the point when I figured out what the point of charging was. If you charge up an attack with triangle/y and then dodge without firing the attack off, it'll charge your chi and all of your attacks will do more damage until it winds down, which helps immensely against the robots. Also, you have to learn when to parry and when to dodge, if you stick close to it and use earthbending, it'll use parryable attacks more often.

You don't have to dodge, it does the same thing if you just do the charged attack.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Peewi posted:

You don't have to dodge, it does the same thing if you just do the charged attack.

Yeah but it's quicker if you dodge, especially with earth. I think you can block as well.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Silentman0 posted:

They were a pain for me right up until the point when I figured out what the point of charging was. If you charge up an attack with triangle/y and then dodge without firing the attack off, it'll charge your chi and all of your attacks will do more damage until it winds down, which helps immensely against the robots. Also, you have to learn when to parry and when to dodge, if you stick close to it and use earthbending, it'll use parryable attacks more often.

That's really good advice. My problem was I was standing too far away so it would not use that many parryable attacks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Robots basically are there for you to use Earthbending on. They're slow, have huge vulnerability periods, and are generally pretty easy targets. The big exception is The Char's Custom Red Mechatank which is a bit faster, but otherwise has a lot of the same flaws.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You can absolutely feel the kind of chimera Platinum has put together in Korra. The block/dodge-as-attack mechanics from MGR, Korra's flips are straight out of Bayonetta, and the firebending jets feel a lot like boosting in Vanquish. Plus (final boss spoiler) dudes are pretty much a copy-paste of Armstrong, mechanics wise, with the elemental barrier in place of Zandatsu-ing the neck.

Final boss not-spoiler: I'm getting my rear end kicked. :(

Speaking of:

AccountingNightmare posted:

The game also has one of the coolest super modes I've ever seen. Goddrat. :stare:

Not sure this should be a spoiler, considering it's a part of the property that appeared in the very first episode of Last Airbender. But goddamn, YES. The Avatar State feels exactly as powerful as it should. The whole point is if Aang or Korra or whoever is using it, the fight is already over, because a fight requires the other party to have a chance of victory.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 22, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

You can absolutely feel the kind of chimera Platinum has put together in Korra. The block/dodge-as-attack mechanics from MGR, Korra's flips are straight out of Bayonetta, and the firebending jets feel a lot like boosting in Vanquish. Plus (final boss spoiler) dudes are pretty much a copy-paste of Armstrong, mechanics wise, with the elemental barrier in place of Zandatsu-ing the neck.

Final boss not-spoiler: I'm getting my rear end kicked before I can get into the Avatar State. :(

Basically, there are a few tricks:

His Armstrong-style rush-grab can actually be parried, but only parried. If you mistime it you get grabbed and slammed but time it right and you do an awesome mini-QTE where Korra does a teleport-punchrush kinda thing on him. He'll also always follow up the line-of-lightning attack with that.

His other physical attacks can also be parried regular-style. It's the single best way to do damage to him. Bait him into attacks. He's got a lot of really obvious tells. Even when he goes to the background you can parry the rocks he throws back at him.

Keep your chi maxed as often as possible and focus on Earth or Firebending. Earthbending is more damaging but slower so you have to focus on his vulnerable periods. Still, you'll tear through his health bar if you do so. Firebending is a bit more reliable, especially at level 3 where it becomes effectively a teleport-punch.

You have a few seconds when the elemental barrier comes up to Chi Charge. Always be at max Chi before you break his barrier.

Honestly you fight him pretty much like you do Armstrong. You can go all-in on him (and it feels satisfying when you do) but you really have to get the parrying down perfect.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Hm, I'm having trouble. I just started and I have waterbending, and it kinda feels like all I can safely do is do light attacks, dodge and block/counter. Using heavy attacks/that ice waterbending attack you buy from the shop/charging anything just leads to me getting my face smacked in.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Once you can buy the water rope move from the shop Water becomes a much better style for direct offense, since water rope drags enemies forward while also being unblockable (?). Once you get it though you can start doing Y Y more reliably, though the ice wall part is difficult to connect since the first Y always pushes thing away.

That said, any puddles left by Y will also become ice walls when you finally do Y Y, which is cool. Problem is Air exists as a style..........

The game becomes much better once you get Earth and Fire to complement Water. Water become much better once you get water rope and ice daggers.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
heard this was a children's cartoon OP

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

So is there any meaningful difference between the PS3/360 version and the PC/PS4/XBone version, or is it just graphical stuff?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Codes for all 3 things: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=330343895

Have only gotten the spirit korra to work on pc.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 23, 2014

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Is the Pro Bending mode multiplayer? Can you do a 3v3 with all humans playing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inverse Icarus posted:

Is the Pro Bending mode multiplayer? Can you do a 3v3 with all humans playing?

Nope. 1 player only.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. 1 player only.

Oh well. I was pretty stoked from that gameplay video.

I'll probably still pick it up.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Once I got earthbending the game was way easier. It remained my favourite bending style for a while because of the high damage stunning attacks that were great for just grinding a single enemy into dust. Then firebending came along for rapid attacks to complement the slow, smashy style of earthbending. Aaaaand then I got airbending which is just fantastic. It seems like waterbending is meant to be ranged damage with the water whip to drag enemies close for an earth/firebending pummeling, earthbending is big powerful hits, firebending is speed and some mobility and airbending is...ranged damage, aoe damage, crowd control AND mobility all in one package. It's pretty ridiculous.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Plus airbending has the air scooter, AKA Aang's greatest invention.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Slime posted:

Once I got earthbending the game was way easier. It remained my favourite bending style for a while because of the high damage stunning attacks that were great for just grinding a single enemy into dust. Then firebending came along for rapid attacks to complement the slow, smashy style of earthbending. Aaaaand then I got airbending which is just fantastic. It seems like waterbending is meant to be ranged damage with the water whip to drag enemies close for an earth/firebending pummeling, earthbending is big powerful hits, firebending is speed and some mobility and airbending is...ranged damage, aoe damage, crowd control AND mobility all in one package. It's pretty ridiculous.

Airbending is crazy good but is less good at single-target damage than other stuff. I'd say the biggest overlap is in Earthbending/Firebending but even they are kinda different. (Earth is slower and more powerful but has the shortest range and least mobility, fire is weaker and has poorer AoE capabilities but makes you zip all over the place and has less startup lag.)

They really did a good job making all four styles fun though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think it's a bit odd they start you off with waterbending since it's pretty much only useful for ranged attacks compared to the other 3.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I think it's a bit odd they start you off with waterbending since it's pretty much only useful for ranged attacks compared to the other 3.

The avatar cycle goes water, earth, fire, air and then back to water. And if she wasn't the Avatar, Korra would presumably be just a waterbender. Does make me kinda wish that waterbending got some melee stuff, though. Tonraq's style of waterbending seems like it'd work great in a combat orientated game.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, you get the styles back in the order that an Avatar in Korra's position in the cycle would learn them. It also makes some mechanical sense. You get waterbending as a means to keep distance, as multiple opponents are hard early on. Then earthbending for single-target burst damage against big targets. Then fire and air for crowd control.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Played this for about an hour and it's pretty fun. Kinda makes me wanna watch more of korra since I've only seen the first season

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

lil baby anime posted:

Played this for about an hour and it's pretty fun. Kinda makes me wanna watch more of korra since I've only seen the first season

You should! Season 2's a bit iffy, but 3 and 4 (so far anyway) are really well put together.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Man what is it with Platinum and shoe-horning in lovely minigames? Those dog levels are exactly one of those lovely infinite-running mobile games and they suck assssss

The game is pretty decent, even though the robots are annoying to fight. They're essentially an extended QTE sequence in the way you have to approach the battle.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I thought fighting the robots were bad. I thought the Naga parts were bad. But fighting robots WHILE riding Naga is literally The Worst. It's like they TRIED to make the worst segment ever. People said the Space Harrier part of Bayonetta was bad, but at least that only happened once.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Those people never played Space Harrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
A few things that make Water strong that most seem to be missing, is that the charged regular attacks will split in to additional projectiles that will seek other targets nearby, and the charged pummel counter will also freeze Mecha tanks for a short while. Pummel with water, switch to fire and go ham. Pretty handy on Extreme. It's a long enough freeze that you can squeeze in a whole combo ending with fire breath.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 23, 2014

• Locked thread