Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Guns are drawn, tensions are high. You look at the people around you, at their weapons, and they look at yours. Soon, someone's going to pull a trigger, and then you'll see who's still standing.

Very vaguely inspired by One Night Ultimate Werewolf, I present Mexican Stand-Off Mafia, a variant Mafia game designed to be over in exactly one night. Here's how it works.

• Day 1 will be exceptionally long, but no one will die during it. The player who has the most votes at the end of the five days Day will have their power and alignment revealed, but they will still be alive for the Night phase.
  • Deadline will go by plurality, however a pre-deadline 'lynch' will require 75% majority, rather than the usual half-plus-one. All this fuss is because...
  • Each and every player has a night kill. Every single goddamn one of you can kill someone during N1. There are various roles, but the core of it remains.
  • At the start of Day 2, after all powers have been resolved, if there are any scum left alive, scum win. If there are no scum left alive, town wins. If no one is left alive, Quentin Tarantino wins.
  • Make sure you'll be able to post during this game, because :siren: anyone with less than twenty posts at the end of Day 1 will use their nightkills on themselves and be ineligible for victory. :siren: This is to discourage lurking, which could otherwise very easily kill this game.
  • I reserve the right to not count certain posts if I feel you're simple posting nonsense to pad your post count. Not that there's anyone who'd ever do something like that!
  • Some of you may have day powers! Or you may not! Who knows!
  • This game will need a minimum of nine players, but can run up to a maximum of gently caress-if-I-know. Full disclosure, I came up with this like fifteen minutes ago, and am still working out some of the kinks. But who cares, it'll be loving rad.

:siren: 11 votes to lynch prematurely. :siren:

Players
1. Tremendous Taste
2. Met
3. MildManeredManikin
4. Rarity
5. apostateCourier
6. CapitalistPig
7. Epsilon Plus
8. Somberbrero
9. HiipFire
10. Pinterest Mom
11. Mills
12. winvirus
13. EXAKT Science
14. Hal Incandenza

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

yeah

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Lets do it!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

this sounds like something I could actually play before I quit mafia forever

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MildManeredManikin posted:

this sounds like something I could actually play before I quit mafia forever
Everyone always says they're quitting Mafia forever.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah I like this idea

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress yeah let's do this

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
This is my kind of game.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Sounds horrid. I'm in.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
It's like Bang were Mafia so I am going to play it.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i cant join this but this sounds awesome. eagerly looking forward to following it!

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
hey im in

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Okay that's nine LET'S DO THIS

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

sure

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

Okay that's nine LET'S DO THIS
And we just broke ten. I'd like to hit 13 in that case.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Low-effort. Sure.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mills posted:

Low-effort. Sure.
Excellent. Just remember the post minimum (it averages out to 4-per-day, so that should be very reasonable, I think), and that it's a game where you can't really replace out.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I think this will run out of steam over five days. If you're going to mandate its length, make it 48-72 hours. :shrug:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mills posted:

I think this will run out of steam over five days. If you're going to mandate its length, make it 48-72 hours. :shrug:

same.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Also scum don't even have an incentive to kill people on N1. As long as they live, they win!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I have some tricks up my sleeves. But I'll seriously consider shortening the D1 time limit.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Also, "anyone with less than twenty posts at the end of Day 1 will use their nightkills on themselves and be ineligible for victory" fucks up scum more than it fucks up town. If I am active scum with a lurking team-mate, his guaranteed death will hurt my win condition. If I am active town with a lurking team-mate, his guaranteed death will not effect my win condition as the result of the game does not have anything to do with town deaths.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

Well I guess I'll play

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
I would like to play more mafia, yes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mills posted:

Also, "anyone with less than twenty posts at the end of Day 1 will use their nightkills on themselves and be ineligible for victory" fucks up scum more than it fucks up town. If I am active scum with a lurking team-mate, his guaranteed death will hurt my win condition. If I am active town with a lurking team-mate, his guaranteed death will not effect my win condition as the result of the game does not have anything to do with town deaths.
This part is intentional. The alternative is to allow scumlurking as a legitimate strategy, which is much too effective in the short-term for a game like this.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I would like to play unless I just made an even number in which case I will happily just watch.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Anyways, that's 13, so I'll go ahead and kick this off soon. Expect role PMs within a couple hours, unless a bunch more people jump in at the last minute (in which case, expect something in a few hours instead).

Edit No worries, Hal. Even isn't as bad here, because of how the lynch majority works. You're in. So is anyone else who asks before... let's say, 7 PM EST (about 100 minutes from now).

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
ay

HiipFire fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 23, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, got the (really lovely) balancing and flavor done. Now I just need the :effort: to type up all the role PMs.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

We could just randomise a circular shooting order A --> B --> C --> A and play the pretty good odds that no two scum would be in succession.

In this scenario, it actually makes sense to lynch your bestest and brightest townsperson because it's one less unknown in the circle, and they still get to take their night action where they think it will be most useful.

:shrug:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mills posted:

We could just randomise a circular shooting order A --> B --> C --> A and play the pretty good odds that no two scum would be in succession.
I thought of people trying to solve the game, too. Powers are involved that would make that.... difficult. Appreciate the looking for loopholes, though.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

We'll see about that. :crossarms:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
not playing but definitely leaving this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9faqM-WvxBQ

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

cool idea: let's just all shoot ourselves. quentin tarantino victory

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Is this still happening?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yes, I'm just lazy.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEg3J3383xg

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

HiipFire fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 23, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Role PMs are finally done. I'll be sending them out in a little bit, once I double-check some possibilities on power interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

confined

• Locked thread