Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

Luceo posted:

jesus titty-loving christ that's fast :stare:

Haha seriously. It's insane. Here is one Reddit users speed test:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Wow, I was skeptical, figuring there wasn't an ISP faster than 802.11ac, in the US, at least. Then again I can't even max out my 60mb FiOS unless I'm on a really good torrent, so I'd probably still go wireless for convenience unless I needed to download the internet real quick.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

Luceo posted:

Wow, I was skeptical, figuring there wasn't an ISP faster than 802.11ac, in the US, at least. Then again I can't even max out my 60mb FiOS unless I'm on a really good torrent, so I'd probably still go wireless for convenience unless I needed to download the internet real quick.

I need to download the internet real quick.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Luceo posted:

802.11 is half-duplex, a certain amount of return traffic is required to maintain download that means that wireless has to stop downloading periodically to send out bound control data, on top of that the reason it's half duplex is because only one device can be broadcasting on it at the same time. That means that is has to stop periodically and listen to see if anything else is trying to "talk" all that is going to affect throughput. it also adds latency which is particularly bad for gaming. wired connections are full duplex so they can send outbound control packets without having to stop receiving.

802.11 also operates on unregulated frequencies and pretty damned much every wireless device in existence operates in that frequency range. RC cars, blue tooth, microwave ovens (yes consumer microwaves operate at 2.45ghz which is right smack in the middle of the 802.11 range), proprietary wireless devices. All those things can cause additional problems not to mention competition for frequency with your neighbors wifi. 5ghz is somewhat better in that regard however it has it's own set of additional issues the key being that higher frequencies attenuate at a higher rate.

My policy is if you can use a wire then you use a wire, if speed and stability are concerns then you use a wire.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Skex posted:

:words:

My policy is if you can use a wire then you use a wire, if speed and stability are concerns then you use a wire.

Yes, thank you, I understand the tech details. My point is that wireless is to convenient to bother with a wire, because most people won't notice a difference. And of the people who do claim to notice a difference, few are actually telling the truth, unless they're on a PS4.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Does anyone know how to block youtube with tomatos network restrictions? I tried using a wildcard for youtube but the android app still works.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Luceo posted:

Yes, thank you, I understand the tech details. My point is that wireless is to convenient to bother with a wire, because most people won't notice a difference. And of the people who do claim to notice a difference, few are actually telling the truth, unless they're on a PS4.

Or PS3! My stupid PS3 that I use as a media center is just too goddamn slow over wireless to stream HD to. Also it wasn't fast enough for HD tivo streaming box to box but now both boxes have MOCA so it's worked out. 802.11g just isn't fast enough for a lot of poo poo.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have a Netgear WNDA3100 USB wireless dongle, a Belkin G+ MIMO router, and a Technicolor TC8305C modem. My desktop is having some fairly consistent connection issues whether I connect to the Belkin router or directly to the Technicolor modem. It used to be mostly in the afternoons, but now it's happening in the evening too. The weird thing is it's only my desktop. My roommates aren't having any issues, and my laptop isn't having any issues. But if I use my phone's wireless hotspot capability, my desktop works just fine, so the dongle isn't just flat out dying. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be happening, or any troubleshooting steps to try?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have a Netgear WNDA3100 USB wireless dongle, a Belkin G+ MIMO router, and a Technicolor TC8305C modem. My desktop is having some fairly consistent connection issues whether I connect to the Belkin router or directly to the Technicolor modem. It used to be mostly in the afternoons, but now it's happening in the evening too. The weird thing is it's only my desktop. My roommates aren't having any issues, and my laptop isn't having any issues. But if I use my phone's wireless hotspot capability, my desktop works just fine, so the dongle isn't just flat out dying. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be happening, or any troubleshooting steps to try?

Since the issue is intermittent wireless problems I'd guess that there's some interference in the signal between your desktop and the router. You might see if there are competing networks from neighbors on the same channel with wifi analyzer (android app) or if there's something physical like a microwave or an excessive amount of electronics or solid objects between your PC and the router that could be the culprit. Your roommates not having the same issue could be because they are not near the interference you are. If you can't seem to find a source for the issue you should consider a new wireless card with an antenna you can move around. Unfortunately the Intel desktop kits seem to be hard to find all of the sudden but as Factory Factory posted earlier in the thread, there's a Gigabyte model that seems to use Intel chips that's pretty similar.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Rexxed posted:

If you can't seem to find a source for the issue you should consider a new wireless card with an antenna you can move around. Unfortunately the Intel desktop kits seem to be hard to find all of the sudden but as Factory Factory posted earlier in the thread, there's a Gigabyte model that seems to use Intel chips that's pretty similar.

Also I think a $50 powerline adapter may be worth looking into as it would probably fix the problem and reduce overall radio congestion.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Really quick question: Is there a thread like this that I could post in regarding assistance with some domain name/multiple servers fuckery?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Odette posted:

Really quick question: Is there a thread like this that I could post in regarding assistance with some domain name/multiple servers fuckery?

Do you mean your own domain name or DNS from your ISP or whoever? There's a hosting/webhosting megathread that may be useful for your own domain stuff:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3289126

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think I'll use that WiFi analyzer app, see if there are any unused channels. I live in an apartment complex built in the 60s so there are a lot of WiFi networks but I don't know if the wiring is up to a powerline adapter. My roommate was in my room today and had a bit of trouble, so I think it might just be how far away and through how many walls I am from the router. Maybe a combination of a new antennaed card and switching channels will fix it. I really like the idea of powerline adapters and an Ethernet cable, but from the OP it sounds like 50 year old wiring is no good.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Rexxed posted:

Do you mean your own domain name or DNS from your ISP or whoever? There's a hosting/webhosting megathread that may be useful for your own domain stuff:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3289126

Got access to a couple of servers, want to do stuff with them under one domain. I'll post in that thread you specified. Thanks!

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think I'll use that WiFi analyzer app, see if there are any unused channels. I live in an apartment complex built in the 60s so there are a lot of WiFi networks but I don't know if the wiring is up to a powerline adapter. My roommate was in my room today and had a bit of trouble, so I think it might just be how far away and through how many walls I am from the router. Maybe a combination of a new antennaed card and switching channels will fix it. I really like the idea of powerline adapters and an Ethernet cable, but from the OP it sounds like 50 year old wiring is no good.

I just spent weeks trying various ways to fine tune my wireless network before trying powerline adapters and being totally happy with them. There are about 20 2.4 Ghz networks jostling around at any given time, and the 5 Ghz signal has a very hard time going through all the walls and between floors. After messing with repeaters and a million settings I set up three powerline adapters and now I'm getting full speed on everything attached to them. (Full disclosure my Internet plan isn't very good so 'full speed' is not very fast but at least now it's full.). Our place was built in 1977, apparently. You could always try some and return them if they don't work.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I'm convinced. I'll try the power line adapters first, which ones do you recommend?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have the Zyxel 600Mbps ones and they work great. I have Fios 75/75 plan and have no problems getting that. When I first got them I played around with them and got a sustained 90Mbps off super news connection.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
The Wirecutter really likes the Zyxel ones. I ended up with a set from D-Link, mostly because I could get three adapters for less than $100 and I don't have poo poo hot internet speeds to worry about squeezing performance out of. I've never tried any other set so I don't know if anything recommends them above any other but I personally have no complaints. We've been able to stream 1080p during the busy evening hours for the first time since moving here, it's pretty nice.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If you're on more of a budget and the 600Mbps ones are out of your range, I'm really happy with the TP-Link 500Mbps ones.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA...werline+adapter

I bought them back in January and I think I needed to reset the connection once since then. Very happy with them. They connect at my house at around 130Mbps, but only have a 10/100 port on them. I've never had a problem though getting 90+Mbps out of them using iPerf over the link. Plenty of bandwidth for most home use scenarios.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe
Just throwing this out there for the "getting beyond home networking" crowd in the thread. Or the "I have a gigabit internet connection at home" crowd.

If you want an absolute overkill, couldn't really be improved on for the price, here's the router I built for my home office/lab:

Supermicro Atom C2758 $332

Kingston Technology ValueRAM 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L PC3-12800 ECC $108

MiniBox 350 MiniITX case $40

Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD $135

PicoPSU 90Watt $29

74Watt DC power supply $5

You also might want to pick up a 40mm width x 10mm depth fan ... the Atom can run fanless, but it's at 60C at idle in that case. The thermal max for the C2758 is 100C, so it's up to you.

So, here's a $600 router that fits in a 8x8x2.5" box. Great. So what are you getting for this outlay of cash?

You get a Supermicro server board that's based around the Rangely version of the Atom processor. It's an 8 core chip at 2.4GHz per core. Yeah. It's not one of the anemic Atoms from the past. It supports ECC RAM (included in the shopping list), and also has the AES-NI instructions built in, so you can really accelerate OpenVPN tunnels and IPSEC to a huge degree.

The board has a PCI-E 8x slot for future expansion. Here's the killer thing for me, though. It has FOUR INTEL NICs from the C2000 series. Built right onto the board. Single board computer with a Quad Intel Gigabit NIC. Yeah. Some of you probably remember paying more than $400 for a PCI-E Intel Quad Port card by itself a few years ago. Oh, and there's also a dedicated IPMI NIC, separate from the other four. So you can plug in power, plug in a network cable, and use your web browser to mount an ISO on your new board and install the OS without so much as hooking up a monitor or a keyboard.

The PicoPSU keeps the power supply out of the box, so you can fit that tiny little M350 enclosure, and 74 watts is far more than this board draws. At max load, mine draws 28 watts according to a Kill-A-Watt meter. No big goofy 1U case for a router here, just a tiny little box holding an 8 core, quad Intel NIC, ECC RAM havin', SSD usin', fanless, remote manageable, DC power supplied super router. Takes about 20 minutes to put it together and installed pfSense 2.2 in under a minute.

On a 20/20Mb fiber line connected to another 20/20 via an OpenVPN tunnel hosted by this box, the CPU usage was at 6%, and running at rated line speed.

You can buy the same thing from Netgate in a 1U form factor for a little over a thousand dollars.

insularis fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 24, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I feel like you could save some decent change by cutting the HD size in half or even a quarter, too.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

I feel like you could save some decent change by cutting the HD size in half or even a quarter, too.

Definitely, you just need any good SSD with some decent write endurance. A 30GB SLC model would be fine for most people. I chose the 250GB so I could change over to ESXi down the line if I felt like it and host a couple of other VMs on the same box.

I used to use an Alix with a CompactFlash card, and the write endurance of CF bit me a couple of times over the years when I wasn't using the NanoBSD images (so I could use Squid and other packages that need to write to disk).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I should figure out a way to benchmark it, but I'm pretty damned happy with the ECS E1-2100 board that I've got.

For that matter, even if you wanted to stick with server-grade gear - why not the 2558 version instead?

Electricb7
Sep 7, 2012

>Hand over the jewels lady
Just got ma Motorola Surfboard SB6141.

Now all I need is a decent router. Can anyone recommend anything for $75 and under? I'm trying not to break the bank here.

Electricb7 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 25, 2014

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

I should figure out a way to benchmark it, but I'm pretty damned happy with the ECS E1-2100 board that I've got.

For that matter, even if you wanted to stick with server-grade gear - why not the 2558 version instead?

Double the cores for another $50 and 5 more watts ... it just opens up a lot of future possibilities, and if you're going the high end route, give it the longest life expectancy possible at purchase. I definitely prefer using server grade gear in general (remote management, high quality NICs, ECC ram, top shelf capacitors, etc). May I never touch another RealTek NIC again in my life.

That being said, I do use the APU1C4 model single board systems for clients that need a small business router, which is based on the same thing as your board (but three ports built in). They're pretty nice. But I would be pegging that Bobcat CPU at 100% all the time with my personal usage, so it's not for me.

insularis fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 25, 2014

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Electricb7 posted:

Just got ma Motorola Surfboard SB6141.

Now all I need is a decent router. Can anyone recommend anything for $75 and under? I'm trying not to break the bank here.

Well if you want an older good Wireless N Router you can get the Asus RT-N16 for $80ish ($70ish after a $10 rebate)

e: It only has the 2.4Ghz band.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I've moved into a place that is clearly going to get hotter as summer approaches (southern hemisphere). I was about to buy a cheap pedestal fan when I suddenly wondered if such a thing would ruin my wireless with RF interference.

Am I just being paranoid? (And incredibly goony) Or will it be fine?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm having a dumb problem.

I have an Asus N66U at work with the VPN enabled via PPTP.

At home I have a Windows 8.1 laptop and an Asus RT-N16.

I can connect to my work VPN fine, but I need to access the Work router config page. However, both my work router and my home router have the same Gateway IP (192.168.1.1).

So now when I type 192.168.1.1 in my address bar at home, it still tries to take me to my home router's config page, regardless of the fact that it's connected to the work VPN.

Is there any way around this?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'm having a dumb problem.

I have an Asus N66U at work with the VPN enabled via PPTP.

At home I have a Windows 8.1 laptop and an Asus RT-N16.

I can connect to my work VPN fine, but I need to access the Work router config page. However, both my work router and my home router have the same Gateway IP (192.168.1.1).

So now when I type 192.168.1.1 in my address bar at home, it still tries to take me to my home router's config page, regardless of the fact that it's connected to the work VPN.

Is there any way around this?

The easiest way is to change the addressing for one of the networks (probably your home one). Make it 192.168.0.x or 10.0.0.x or somesuch. Just remember to update the router's address as well as the DHCP server so that it hands out addresses for the right subnet. If you have devices you've setup at home with static addresses instead of dhcp you'll have to change their addresses. If they're not static they may need a reboot to get new network info.

Some router firmware likes to only change one thing at a time, so you'll (for example) change the router's IP address. It will do a full reboot. All of the sudden your machine at 192.168.1.100 (or whatever) can no longer access 192.168.1.1 since it's actually at 192.168.0.1. You type the new IP into your browser and it still can't find it (because it's no longer on your local network, and your gateway no longer exists). You haven't had a chance to change the DHCP info yet so you sigh... then you go into your TCP/IP settings and set a manual IP address for 192.168.0.100 (or whatever) with 192.168.0.1 as your gateway, after which you'll be able to access the router again to change its settings to fix the DHCP server.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I have a question. If I plug a second wireless router into the first one so I can extend my WiFi range can a computer connected via an ethernet cable to the second router reach the internet? Do I set the second router as a bridge or something?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

havenwaters posted:

I have a question. If I plug a second wireless router into the first one so I can extend my WiFi range can a computer connected via an ethernet cable to the second router reach the internet? Do I set the second router as a bridge or something?

Wired internet can basically daisy chain without much hassle.

What you want to do is set your second router as an AP, access point. Turn off dhcp in your second router, and set up a new wifi network name to avoid conflict.

Or buy ubquiti unifi N series for seamless roaming

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

NZAmoeba posted:

I've moved into a place that is clearly going to get hotter as summer approaches (southern hemisphere). I was about to buy a cheap pedestal fan when I suddenly wondered if such a thing would ruin my wireless with RF interference.

Am I just being paranoid? (And incredibly goony) Or will it be fine?

I have 3 ceiling fans, 2 different tower fan, and a big high rpm metal fan, and I've never had a problem. I thing you're worrying too much.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

UndyingShadow posted:

I have 3 ceiling fans, 2 different tower fan, and a big high rpm metal fan, and I've never had a problem. I thing you're worrying too much.

Is this 'big high rpm metal fan' hanging directly over your head? :allears:

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Sounds like the set up for a Hitman stealth kill, but thanks dude! I'll stop worrying.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Is there an application for Windows that lets me point it at a running process and see which ports that process is using?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Lork posted:

Is there an application for Windows that lets me point it at a running process and see which ports that process is using?

I can't say the exact command line right now, but netstat built-in can show you ports per process. For a gui, process explorer can iirc. On windows 10 I think you can find a way to view it from task manager too I believe.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

So my poor old WRT54GL (running a 2009 build of DDWRT :v:) seems to finally be giving up the ghost. Most things work fine, web browsing, youtube, streaming, downloading in a browser. But as soon as I start up Steam or Battle.net the connection shits a brick and steam sits there churning trying to start a download while I suddenly can't even browse the web, either timing out or coming up with the error 'DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET' on all computers on the network.

Plugging straight into my modem fixes the issue. So, new router time. This router was posted earlier and looks just fine. Any reason I shouldn't get it? I'm not on a particularly fast or fancy service (6 down, 1.5 up) so really any old router should do.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

phosdex posted:

I can't say the exact command line right now, but netstat built-in can show you ports per process. For a gui, process explorer can iirc. On windows 10 I think you can find a way to view it from task manager too I believe.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Process Explorer does the trick, thanks.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

If you have a Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite, do you still need a PC to hold the control software for a UniFi AP or can the router serve that function?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You need a PC to initially set the control software as far as I know.