Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I thought fighting the robots were bad. I thought the Naga parts were bad. But fighting robots WHILE riding Naga is literally The Worst. It's like they TRIED to make the worst segment ever. People said the Space Harrier part of Bayonetta was bad, but at least that only happened once.

It reminded me of LocoCycle but infinitely shittier, which is really impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Naga parts just remind me of Crash Bandicoot 2. I like the Naga sections.

Is there any downside to charging every attack?

Dozeworthy
Oct 9, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Besides taking the time to charge, charging every attack is unnecessary, as executing a charged attack fills your chi gauge, which powers up every attack until the gauge runs out.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Golden Goat posted:

The Naga parts just remind me of Crash Bandicoot 2. I like the Naga sections.

You don't actually charge your attacks. You charge your chi which then applies to all attacks until it runs down.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Thanks, so just one perfect charge to start the combo and then continue as normal is fine until your Chi runs out.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

It would be cool if charging individual attacks in a combo made them more powerful, so you could change the timings depending on how in danger you are to hit harder.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

So I had a pretty interesting experience whilst pro bending (sorry for lovely quality i just ripped it off facebook)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMwmLIu2U3U

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Friend of mine made a combo system guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RK-6EnHlzM

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Oh and Mike Kob video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIZWM5v89-U

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
This seems to be getting pummeled by early reviews, but people in here seem to like it. I haven't really played an actiony beat-em-up since S-rank DMD mode in Devil May Cry back in high school. I have played demos of Bayonetta and Vanquish but just never ended up picking them up. Thoughts? I'm a big fan of the show but seems mostly like people are saying the story in the game is crap. Get this? Skip it and get Revengeance?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
This game will scratch the itch, but you have much bigger fish to fry. You have plenty of high quality games to choose from right now: DMC4, Bayonetta, and Revengeance just for starters.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Rawrbomb posted:

Codes for all 3 things: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=330343895

Have only gotten the spirit korra to work on pc.

I got Chiblocker Korra to work with keyboard and mouse. I think it was 1 3 1 rightclick leftclick rightclick

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

sighnoceros posted:

Skip it and get Revengeance?

This is your best best. Revengeance has a lot more small annoyances than Korra but is a lot better overall (owing mostly to the fact you can tell it has like 10x the budget of Korra). Revengeance is also lacking anything even coming close to logic in the plot, which is a lot more fun than poorly written generic plotting :getin:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

sighnoceros posted:

This seems to be getting pummeled by early reviews, but people in here seem to like it. I haven't really played an actiony beat-em-up since S-rank DMD mode in Devil May Cry back in high school. I have played demos of Bayonetta and Vanquish but just never ended up picking them up. Thoughts? I'm a big fan of the show but seems mostly like people are saying the story in the game is crap. Get this? Skip it and get Revengeance?

Revengence. I mean I like Korra and it's not a bad game but Revengence is a thousand times more polished and well worth it. Get the PC version if you can.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Count Uvula posted:

This is your best best. Revengeance has a lot more small annoyances than Korra but is a lot better overall (owing mostly to the fact you can tell it has like 10x the budget of Korra). Revengeance is also lacking anything even coming close to logic in the plot, which is a lot more fun than poorly written generic plotting :getin:

Nanomachines son

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I watched the GB quicklook, and am mainly curious about one thing. In the video Jason says the game is super fun/great up until you face other benders, because they have no tells, so it's mainly just you mashing attacks/spamming them into corners to kill them. Was he just missing something? If so, what? The bender fights he was doing in the video didn't seem very fun because of it, but I'm curious if it was just due to him missing something.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Alright well my course seems pretty clear, Revengeance it is, will put Korra on the wishlist for a holiday sale or something. Thanks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rookersh posted:

So I watched the GB quicklook, and am mainly curious about one thing. In the video Jason says the game is super fun/great up until you face other benders, because they have no tells, so it's mainly just you mashing attacks/spamming them into corners to kill them. Was he just missing something? If so, what? The bender fights he was doing in the video didn't seem very fun because of it, but I'm curious if it was just due to him missing something.

He is completely missing something. All the benders have really obvious tells. The hardest to spot are the Waterbenders stuff since water stands out less than glowing green Earthbender or flaming Firebender but he's also ranged so you have more time to react.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Don't forget the Earthbenders really long windup on that stomp attack. They all glow the colour of their element when attacking, that's your tell. Also bum rushing the Waterbender is a completely viable tactic at the start.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Don't forget the Earthbenders really long windup on that stomp attack. They all glow the colour of their element when attacking, that's your tell. Also bum rushing the Waterbender is a completely viable tactic at the start.

Yeah, always go for the Waterbender first. They're the most likely to catch you with a ranged attack while you're fighting the other two, but he's also the least durable.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sighnoceros posted:

Get Revengeance. Just keep in mind that

1)The tutorial is misleading, you parry by tapping in the direction of the attack and pressing light attack at the same time.

2)The dodge move is called Offensive Defense or some poo poo and is hidden in the upgrade menu after you finish the first mission. You do it by hitting O and X.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Am I missing something, or is pro-bending complete garbage? It seems like a game of just waiting for the AI to slip up. The talisman you unlock seems like it would be cool, but I'm not sure it's worth playing any more of this.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah pro-bending seems completely 1-dimensional. I did it for completion but bleh.

Rookersh posted:

It's more that that's when the game starts having something resembling difficulty. They all have tells, but the tells on the fire and water guys aren't nearly as obvious as the tells on the ninjas you fight up to that point. If you can't see the earth guy's tells then there is no helping you.

Protip: In Platinum games most enemies won't attack you while off camera, so try singling out a target while keeping the other guys out of view.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trick Question posted:

Am I missing something, or is pro-bending complete garbage? It seems like a game of just waiting for the AI to slip up. The talisman you unlock seems like it would be cool, but I'm not sure it's worth playing any more of this.

It's not great but you're not just waiting for the AI to slip up.

The lines show you who your team members are targeting. Try to focus the same enemy. If they start blocking, swap to a different enemy until they drop it.

Always Be Countering. Just nonstop. Counter every attack. On higher levels enemies will counter your counter, so counter it back at them. Generally a countered counter is an instant-knockback for whoever it hits.

If an enemy has low health and you're not in a rush, wait until they're in front of an ally. You can knock two of them back with one attack that way.

The power of your stuff is determined by your Fire/Water/Earth levels in main story. Get that up and you're more effective

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Rookersh posted:

Yeah they missed a lot. I beat the game before I watched the quicklook and I could only get halfway through it.
They ignore large parts of the gameplay, Such as the tells and the entire Chi system.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Yeah they missed a lot. I beat the game before I watched the quicklook and I could only get halfway through it.
They ignore large parts of the gameplay, Such as the tells and the entire Chi system.

Do yourself a favor and watch the last few minutes of it.

It's special.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

To be fair Chi doesn't really come into play until you're a good way through the game. I'm not sure how you could miss the tells though considering the first enemies literally flash red before attacking.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Peewi posted:

Do yourself a favor and watch the last few minutes of it.

It's special.

I especially liked how he blamed the game for his own mistake. But then that is all videogames ever.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Sounds like Giant Bomb quicklooks are the same as ever. They'll never be useful for anything except maybe judging how playable a game will be for someone with learning difficulties

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Airbending is fun as hell

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I was already to complain about the Naga fight with the mecha-tanks being totally impossible bullshit and then after dying like a dozen times I realized that the waterbending button on it was a shield.

I'm dumb.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Rincewind posted:

I was already to complain about the Naga fight with the mecha-tanks being totally impossible bullshit and then after dying like a dozen times I realized that the waterbending button on it was a shield.

I'm dumb.

Don't forget to spam firebending. Also I'm pretty sure the talisman effects still happen when you're on Naga, because I had the 1/2 HP 2x Strength one on and it seemed to go better, and Naga doesn't take the HP hit. could just be confirmation bias though.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Does anyone have any hints for the second mecha tank battle? It's kicking my rear end.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Nichael posted:

Does anyone have any hints for the second mecha tank battle? It's kicking my rear end.

The one by the docks? Just make sure you're charging your chi and recognising which attacks to avoid (any of the ones with electricity) and which ones to counter. The moves are fairly telegraphed, so as long as you learn which is which, you should do fine. You can break some of the environment stuff for health if you need to, or buy one of the revives from the shop.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

This game is much better on Extreme, you have all the bending powers from the get go and the fights mix it up with more types of enemies. Outside of a couple of bad fights like the one in chapter 4 where they surround you from 3 sides with ranged guys, I'm really liking this as a 'Platinum-lite' game. It's not as deep or technical but it just feels good to play and has better fighting action than most character action games. In some ways the budget-ness works for it because it doesn't really have that Platinum filler or setpiece stuff that on replays is more annoying than cool, in this you can just run from fight to fight which is what you want. I also think the mini-game in this (the temple run thing) is actually fun compared to the ones in other Platinum games, and it's less frequent as well.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Nichael posted:

Counter the car it throws at you. It's not really needed or anything, it's just funny to watch Korra launch a car at a robot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Emong posted:

Counter the car it throws at you. It's not really needed or anything, it's just funny to watch Korra launch a car at a robot.

Carbending. A very specific offshoot of metalbending.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Getting OHKOd by the large rocks in the final Naga section was pretty annoying but otherwise good game, shame it wasn't a full budget title and Platinum couldn't really go nuts until final boss (which was fantastic) but I guess thems the breaks.

Lol at 'written by the creators of the show!' as a USP though, it was like the barest bones of a skeleton of a plot and the bad guy's motivation is literally 'I'm a dick!'.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

and the bad guy's motivation is literally 'I'm a dick!'.

I don't see the problem there. Honestly, I wish more villains could have such a refreshing motivation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Gathering all of the leftover random antagonists from the first two seasons into one dumb army was pretty clever, anyway.

• Locked thread