Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I don't understand why Fedora doesn't have a CDE spin. Linux is straying too far from its unix roots, I'm switching to BSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

i use a tiling wm and it owns, please don't use a gnome 3

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

keyvin posted:

I set up Linux for my parents, but they didn't like ion3 so I reinstalled windows.

are your parents tuomo valkonen

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

chromeos is a linux, using that right now

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

os x and ios are unix and they are extrememly my poo poo

my favourite desktop environment is finder

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
i just got to work and tried to print some poo poo from my centos desktop. the cups server got all hosed up or something and the gui for printer setup / jobs completely hung. i said gently caress it and restarted the machine. it booted into a black screen w/o even functional tty access. I rebooted again and added nomodeset to the kernel command line. stuck on a 100% loading bar. i have tty access now, but eth0 says no carrier. gently caress this gay earth

the moral of the story is never install a desktop linux outside of a vm.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

the moral of the story is never install a linux.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Forums Terrorist posted:

my favourite desktop environment is finder
sorry to break this to you but finder is a pos.

it used to be really good but they ruined it in osx (oddly enough, at the same time that macs turned into unix!) and it has been poo poo ever since.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Soricidus posted:

sorry to break this to you but finder is a pos.

it used to be really good but they ruined it in osx (oddly enough, at the same time that macs turned into unix!) and it has been poo poo ever since.

The MacOS 8 ui was great except for two things:

- Drives are mainly or only accessible from the desktop. No 'show desktop' button exists, so I had to like manually minimize every drat window to get to my files! (Maybe I was supposed to magically know about some keyboard shortcut to do it but it should have been obvious! :( )

- Switching between programs or windows via that horrible drop-down menu on the top-right of the screen was a giant pain in the rear end. The Windows taskbar was far better.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Both of these problems still exist today in osx.

I guess the dumb dock thing does display a 'list' of nested items, but it is like a springy bouncy bendy vertical penis thing that doesn't work right and it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Pike posted:

I guess the dumb dock thing does display a 'list' of nested items, but it is like a springy bouncy bendy vertical penis thing that doesn't work right and it makes me feel uncomfortable.

See a doctor

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'm the psychological analysis you should go get. Everything's coming up Freud.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
"let's make a desktop that is completely unusable piss garbage by grabbing some bits and pieces of successful osses without understanding why they work!" -- an idiot hell fucker

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ZShakespeare posted:

"let's make a desktop that is completely unusable piss garbage by grabbing some bits and pieces of successful osses after forgetting why they work!" -- steve jobs, circa 1999

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Captain Pike posted:

lolwut, the drop-down menu for switching programs you complained about never existed in osx, and osx offers several different methods of switching. as for needing to uncover finder desktop icons, for all its faults modern osx finder has fixed that. set up your finder windows with the sidebar (they will have one out of the box) and make sure "devices" are shown in the sidebar (once again, this will be true oob)

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

It's this kinda poo poo that makes me happy I use kupfer.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

oval office AND PASTE posted:

"just use mate, because the desktop paradigm peaked circa 1997" - yospos, unironically

don't gently caress up a good thing

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

keyvin posted:

I don't understand why Fedora doesn't have a CDE spin. Linux is straying too far from its unix roots, I'm switching to BSD.

I use a CNC machine at work that is running something called Lynx Unix and has a CDE user interface on hardware nowhere near powerful enough to run a graphical user interface. Its utterly awful. I love sitting there watching a window slowly redraw its controls and every window and dialog box has its own idea of navigation keys, "I know TAB moves you through text fields on this window, but in this window it doesn't do anything!", "If you press enter while in this text box it will move you to the next text box, but if you press enter in this text box it will close the dialog with an implicit cancel!"

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

I have heard things about CNC machines, but you've somehow managed to lower my opinion of them.

MaliciousBiz
Mar 28, 2010

I Pay to Poast on Internet

ZShakespeare posted:

just use mate. it's like gnome but without the half assed attempt at cargo-culting the worst bits of windows 8 and lion.

mate is the only good choice when it comes to Linux on the desktop.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
gnome 3. replacing poo poo that works with broken garbage because it's old.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

gnome 3 spend years working on hot garbage. get rejected by the public, have mass exodus of developers, maintain course for terrible and don't look back

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
http://lwn.net/Articles/617176/

quote:

It was discovered that PrtSc key is not disabled when the screen is locked.

Taking a bunch of screenshots at once bloats gnome-shell to the point where it's pretty easy to get it targeted by the kernel's oom-killer. This means that anyone with access to the keyboard of a locked GNOME session can (briefly) disable the lockscreen, which lets them see and interact with the running gnome session.

lol

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

MaliciousBiz posted:

mate is the only good choice when it comes to Linux on the desktop.

gently caress that, i3. I'd kill to have a proper tiling WM on Windows for work.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

IPvSH6T posted:

gently caress that, i3. I'd kill to have a proper tiling WM on Windows for work.

if you want tiling, why even run X-Windows, why not just run the Andrew wm and apps?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Fixed half a month ago: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=737456

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
gnome 3 status: still suiting my needs better than any other desktop on any platform.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Fib posted:

gnome 3 status: still suiting my needs* better than any other desktop on any platform.

I was going to put something funny after a *, but gnome 3 sucks so badly its the joke in and of itself.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

eschaton posted:

if you want tiling, why even run X-Windows, why not just run the Andrew wm and apps?

because im not a cmu student in the 1980s

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lmao

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

keyvin posted:

I was going to put something funny after a *, but gnome 3 sucks so badly its the joke in and of itself.

actually, its good

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

i saw KDE 5 and its still just windows vista with a homemade theme on it

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

mate is XP where someone has pinned a quick access to disks and control panel on the taskbar

everyone i know who is an old dad had their XP like this so its really like the daddest XP

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

cinnamon is also vista but with a bad virtual desktop thing tacked on and the designer apparently says 'ok, everything gnome 3 does, we will just do the exact opposite' so instead of dynamic workspaces you have to spend clicks manually creating and destroying them, and instead of being stacked vertically, they're horizontal

pram
Jun 10, 2001
narcissism of small differences itt (theyre all poo poo)

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

all these desktops still have the microsoft-style ghetto of misfit programs permanently living in the notification area

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

the mystery of the window controls

what is supposed to happen when you click the minimize button on a window?

should the window minimize to the taskbar?
should the window minimize to the notification area?

what is supposed to happen when you click the close button on a window?

should the program terminate?
should it minimize to the taskbar?
should it hide in the notification area?
or are you really closing the abstraction of something (a settings control page) without actually terminating the program (a system daemon, say, antivirus)?

whatever, it's just easier to call people "computer illiterate" when they ask these questions

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

the lie that users expect that kind of behavior because they're used to it is false

sit any user down at windows, osx, kde, cinnamon, xfce.. they will be equally confused

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lusers are idiotic peasant scum and they deserve nothing less than death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

minimizing things to the taskbar is useful for de-cluttering your view

but what exactly is the value of the taskbar/minimizing windows paradigm when you have workspaces?

what is supposed to happen when you restore a window from the taskbar but aren't looking at the workspace where that window entered the minimized state?