Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

TheBlobThing posted:

Agreed. It reminds me of the old X-Com enemies Chryssalids (in a good way).

Thanks, I was going for something insectoid, and to make clear that it's not just a guy in a suit. The cryssalid connection must have been subliminal... sooo many dead agents :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

HardCoil posted:

Warp Talon conversion I'm working on for my kill team, as the stock mini seems a bit silly to me:

Basically a leg reposition and addtion of an extra set of lower legs to get the chicken walker type legs, in an attempt to make him more daemonic and scary. Same idea behind the blank face mask.

I don't know how I missed this on the previous page, but I love, love, the legs. Good work sculpting on the back end. The waist is thin, but I like it that way. Glue some grenades or other gear onto it and it will look kickin rad.

I am gay for conversions.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

No wargear options for Warp Talons, and WYSIWYG 4 lyfe, so... :(

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

HardCoil posted:

No wargear options for Warp Talons, and WYSIWYG 4 lyfe, so... :(

Hey, no frowny face, those look fantastic. Too few people play with Warp Talons anyways, good on you for doing it and doing it right.

Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.

HardCoil posted:

Warp Talon conversion I'm working on for my kill team, as the stock mini seems a bit silly to me:

Basically a leg reposition and addtion of an extra set of lower legs to get the chicken walker type legs, in an attempt to make him more daemonic and scary. Same idea behind the blank face mask.

This guy reminds me of Malachi from Castlevania:

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Been lazy the last few months, finally got back to painting. Here is a warm up model I did last night:

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Working on a test mini from the Icestorm box to decide on a color scheme. Decided to make the fusiliers from the box NeoTerran. Berets matching the main color never seemed to look any good. Think I need to get some lighter highlights for the blue too. Center plate on the backpack is going to be white, but not sure what color to do the dots on the legs and sides of the backpack. Maybe ochre?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I'd do a brighter orange, as if they are LEDs. I think it would offset the muted darker colors of the model well.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hi I painted a pissed off drunken lout of a Troll who rides his childhood pet polar bear.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Based my casualty markers and applied GW blood. drat I love that stuff. Just need varnish on the base rims and grass and they're good to go.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Is the Vallejo Surface Primer safe to use right out of the bottle in an airbrush? And is that the best brand of airbrush primer or is there better stuff out there?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Commissar Canuck posted:

Is the Vallejo Surface Primer safe to use right out of the bottle in an airbrush? And is that the best brand of airbrush primer or is there better stuff out there?

Yes, it is really good and so is the Badger Stynlrez (terrible name, great primer)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheBlobThing posted:

Based my casualty markers and applied GW blood. drat I love that stuff. Just need varnish on the base rims and grass and they're good to go.

These guys look good. Good and dead, but good.

Fyrbrand posted:

Hi I painted a pissed off drunken lout of a Troll who rides his childhood pet polar bear.

Yep, owns.. I really dig the matching tartan on the troll and the bear.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
So, I was playing around with my new phone and took some pictures.

Doing some painting tests on my custom laser cut terrain, not sure i like the colors.

Panoramma of my messy game room.

and a poor quality 360 image of the room.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/111750294146935694490/posts/5dsouqyJ3Fw?pid=6073425211503298082&oid=111750294146935694490
can you spot the goon made kickstarter special rusty the rust monster?

It would have been a lot better if I went slower.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 23, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

LumberingTroll posted:

Panoramma of my messy game room.

and a poor quality 360 image of the room.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/111750294146935694490/posts/5dsouqyJ3Fw?pid=6073425211503298082&oid=111750294146935694490
can you spot the goon made kickstarter special rusty the rust monster?

It would have been a lot better if I went slower.

Goddamn. :aaa:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

LumberingTroll posted:

Awesome nerd room

:catdrugs::catdrugs:
Living the dream!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
LumberingTroll confirmed to be an Alpha Level Goon (ALG)

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

BULBASAUR posted:

LumberingTroll confirmed to be an Alpha Level Goon (ALG)

Badge of Honor, or Shame?

both I guess...

Also figured out why the 360 looked to bad, didnt have the image quality set to max.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Only thing that's missing is someone to play with. :smith:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I have a miniature that's been completely painted and varnished, but has come un-glued from its base several times. The last time it happened I got fed up with it and put a ton of superglue on to make sure it stuck, and now it has some really ugly frosting on the base and on the figure's feet.

What's the best way to fix this? Should I just re-paint the affected areas or is there some easier way of going about it?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I have a miniature that's been completely painted and varnished, but has come un-glued from its base several times. The last time it happened I got fed up with it and put a ton of superglue on to make sure it stuck, and now it has some really ugly frosting on the base and on the figure's feet.

What's the best way to fix this? Should I just re-paint the affected areas or is there some easier way of going about it?

As far as I know you will need to repaint. And in future for unstuck minis use epoxy, stuff stays stuck quite well with epoxy. Nothing is foolproof, but epoxy is fairly ace.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Indolent Bastard posted:

As far as I know you will need to repaint. And in future for unstuck minis use epoxy, stuff stays stuck quite well with epoxy. Nothing is foolproof, but epoxy is fairly ace.

Thanks, will do. I've actually been basing most of them with epoxy, this one is just one of the first I ever did and for some reason I didn't think to do it differently this time around.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Before repainting maybe try putting a coat of gloss varnish over the frosted area and then a coat of Matt. This works for aerosol varnish frosting but I dont know about super glue.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Or dip a q-tip in some olive oil and rub it. If your varnish is any good, it should clear up.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

Yea, adding some more highlighting really made a difference on the blue I think.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Hello again, folks. I already asked the 40k thread, but this seemed like a good place to ask too. I'm planning out a conversion to make a counts as Sammael for my DA successors, and was curious if anyone was familiar enough with the third party jetbike minis to point me in a good direction to start with. I've done a little digging and I'm fond of the Maxmini and Kromlech bikes, but I'm not entirely sure how well each one can handle the HQ conversion, especially with having to find or make space for the cannon.

Anyone have a bit of experience with either model or suggestions on alternatives?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Use the dick bike from forge world, aka the scimitar jetbike. Comes with a plasma cannon, super easy to convert, just use a fancy torso and maybe even the dark angels robed legs from the ravenwing frame or the black knights kit. Add a power sword and you have yourself a cheaper sammael.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Need some motorcycles for miniatures? Boy do I have the conversion job for you!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dulkor posted:

Hello again, folks. I already asked the 40k thread, but this seemed like a good place to ask too. I'm planning out a conversion to make a counts as Sammael for my DA successors, and was curious if anyone was familiar enough with the third party jetbike minis to point me in a good direction to start with. I've done a little digging and I'm fond of the Maxmini and Kromlech bikes, but I'm not entirely sure how well each one can handle the HQ conversion, especially with having to find or make space for the cannon.

Anyone have a bit of experience with either model or suggestions on alternatives?

Scibor makes two jetbikes, and Puppetswar.eu makes one as well

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
My favorite jetbikes:

http://stores.ebay.com/Blood-and-Skulls-Industry?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

e: Doesn't look like he has any in stock right now, but they look like this. The top is my fave

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 25, 2014

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Scibor makes two jetbikes, and Puppetswar.eu makes one as well

Those Scibor bikes look gorgeous, though at the same time I kinda like the more utilitarian look the puppetswar one has. I can almost imagine slapping one of the spare plasma storms I have left over from building my Darkshroud on one side and the targeting array from the RW sprue on the other.

Edit:

BULBASAUR posted:

My favorite jetbikes:

http://stores.ebay.com/Blood-and-Skulls-Industry?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

e: Doesn't look like he has any in stock right now, but they look like this. The top is my fave

These are excellent as well! Pity they aren't available right now.

Dulkor fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 25, 2014

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
WIP shot, almost done

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Asphyxious posted:

WIP shot, almost done

Oh that looks fantastic! OSL can be distracting or unclear at times but I think you really captured it.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Direwolf posted:

Oh that looks fantastic! OSL can be distracting or unclear at times but I think you really captured it.

Accidentally put way too much on the spear but I'll fix it in the tidy up :)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Might as well crosspost this from the 40k thread.

So today, after picking up a new detail brush after my last one snapped, I began painting the only basecoated Krieger I had available and followed one of the previous suggestions I got for paint schemes. Sorry for the crappy cellphone pictures that I hastily took.

Not done with him yet obviously as he's still missing out on some edge highlighting and washing aside from general clean up.

The scheme in question is:

quote:

Russ Grey for the coat.
Dawnstone for the pants.
Steel Legion Drab for the boots, pack, and leather bits. Wash in Seraphim Sepia.
Skavenblight Dinge for the armor. Highlights in Dawnstone.

Forgot who recommended it to me, sorry.
Such a pity the weather this entire week hasn't really been prime basecoating weather or else I'd tried to get the others ready to be painted instead of just this guy.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Almost finished, after 4 hours work, the Rackham Griffin Inquistor (I also have the other version too :D )

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

Got the arms glued on. Getting closer to done.

Mexicola
Jan 3, 2006
In a world that's full of shit and gasoline, baby

Bachtere posted:

Been lazy the last few months, finally got back to painting. Here is a warm up model I did last night:

Really digging this model. The bleached/driftwoody look to the gun sells the undead pirate-ness of the entire figure.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
In addition to getting some P3 paints and decanting them into dropper bottles, I recently ordered the Army Painter "Quickshade Ink Set", which I found on eBay for $17 (including S&H). My brother's putting together a small Undead warband for Song of Blades & Heroes, which will include several skeletons. As I'm the designated painter, I figured using the Army Painter inks over a bleached bone-style paint scheme might work pretty well. Any other goons have experience with the Army Painter inks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In addition to getting some P3 paints and decanting them into dropper bottles, I recently ordered the Army Painter "Quickshade Ink Set", which I found on eBay for $17 (including S&H). My brother's putting together a small Undead warband for Song of Blades & Heroes, which will include several skeletons. As I'm the designated painter, I figured using the Army Painter inks over a bleached bone-style paint scheme might work pretty well. Any other goons have experience with the Army Painter inks?

They behave exactly like GW washes, and more closely match their old wash set (badab black, etc). They're pretty good overall in my experience, and you get more for your dollar than GW. Still, dropper bottles for washes is kind of annoying if you aren't using them through an airbrush.

• Locked thread