Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ron Jeremy posted:

I've been seeing a lot of "uncured" meat products around, but I don't really get at what they mean. Isn't curing the process that takes the raw meat and turns it into the stuff we eat? Like isn't uncured ham just a pig's leg? Isn't uncured pastrami just a brisket?

http://www.eatlikenoone.com/faq-what-is-uncured-ham.htm

This says it just means no added nitrates, but I've seen that on cured meats for a long time. What's the deal with the "uncured?'

It's a bullshit marketing tag for people who are scared of nitrites. Pretty much any meat that would get an "uncured" label is, in fact, cured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

They cure it with natural celery juice instead of harmful nitrates.

Celery juice is obviously full of nitrates.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've got some leftover mashed potatoes that I don't want to reheat and eat as mashed potatoes. What are some things I could do with them to eat them in a different format? I've tried pan-fried potato pancake type things before with leftover mashed but they didn't come out all that well. Suggestions?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

The Midniter posted:

I've got some leftover mashed potatoes that I don't want to reheat and eat as mashed potatoes. What are some things I could do with them to eat them in a different format? I've tried pan-fried potato pancake type things before with leftover mashed but they didn't come out all that well. Suggestions?

Maybe you could do something like a scotch egg.

Take hard boiled eggs, coat them in mashed potatoes then bread and fry them. You may have to play with the consistency to get it to work well.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's a bullshit marketing tag for people who are scared of nitrites. Pretty much any meat that would get an "uncured" label is, in fact, cured.

The answer to every question about health a buzzword is "because people are stupid."

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

The Midniter posted:

Make a rad sandwich with some roasted turkey and cranberry sauce.

Phaxtor
Sep 18, 2014

by XyloJW
It seems every thread multiple people start raving about the "sous vide" cooking technique. I've done a little research about it, although, I have been struggling to find any entry level equipment. What would you guys recommend for starting out? Are there more ways to do this technique without using a full on immersion circulator? What are the differences between the ones that cost a grand and the cheaper ones? Sorry for the barrage of questions, it just seems like a really cool way to do some cooking :downs:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

The Midniter posted:

make pierogies

this is a nice recipe
http://hostthetoast.com/bacon-cheddar-caramelized-onion-and-potato-pierogi/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Phaxtor posted:

It seems every thread multiple people start raving about the "sous vide" cooking technique. I've done a little research about it, although, I have been struggling to find any entry level equipment. What would you guys recommend for starting out? Are there more ways to do this technique without using a full on immersion circulator? What are the differences between the ones that cost a grand and the cheaper ones? Sorry for the barrage of questions, it just seems like a really cool way to do some cooking :downs:
We have a sous vide thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573640

Cheapest one is the $100 Dorkfood temperature controller which requires either a crockpot or cheap one-button rice cooker.

A step above that is the $170 Anova circulator which requires a plastic tub or a pot.

These should do for any home chef who are cooking half a dozen steaks at a time for a BBQ or something, the expensive ones are meant to be used in a restaurant cooking entire fleets of steaks simultaneously.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 22, 2014

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Midniter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRU0hHLqP_w

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is the correct answer. Pierogi are wonderful.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

God drat it dino. I saw your response and thought "Oh cool! Dino always has good suggestions!"

*clicks link*

*the words "Simply Sara" come up*

I thought that she got scared off the internet after that whole pasta salad recipe debacle, but it really does look like she enjoys cooking (bad) food. Good for her.

It's too bad she'll be dead soon.

Also paraquat thanks for the pierogi idea, I'm gonna throw a quick dough together and pierogi.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

I'm planning to bake a pecan pie and mail it to my grandparents-in-law for their Thanksgiving. Do I need to spring for overnight shipping, a cool pack, and a styrofoam container?

Any pie shipping advice would be greatly appreciated.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Midniter posted:

God drat it dino. I saw your response and thought "Oh cool! Dino always has good suggestions!"

*clicks link*

I thought that she got scared off the internet after that whole pasta salad recipe debacle, but it really does look like she enjoys cooking (bad) food. Good for her.

Also paraquat thanks for the pierogi idea, I'm gonna throw a quick dough together and pierogi.

She's in the hospital, on a ventilator, from her pneumonia. It went into sepsis. :(

But seriously, make stamppot or bubble and squeak, damnit. They're both excellent uses for leftover mashed potatoes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dino. posted:

She's in the hospital, on a ventilator, from her pneumonia. It went into sepsis. :(

But seriously, make stamppot or bubble and squeak, damnit. They're both excellent uses for leftover mashed potatoes.

Woah, Sara is in the hospital? That latest vid made me feel sorry for her. She just seems so unhealthy. I can't imagine she's happy being that large. Her breathing sounded so labored.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dino. posted:

Jesus, I was just being flippant about her morbid obesity. I didn't know she was actually sick.

Get better, you hotdish-loving motherfucker.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Can we get a link on this Sarah business? I thought she was dead years ago?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What is the difference (if any) between Chinese light soy sauce and Japanese soy sauce?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The Midniter posted:

Croquettes.

Mister Macys posted:

What is the difference (if any) between Chinese light soy sauce and Japanese soy sauce?
If you're just talking about supermarket brands, not that much. A generic Japanese soy sauce will probably be sweeter than a generic Chinese light soy, but you can generally sub one for the other. But there are actually many varieties of each. E.g. the soy that's likely to come with your shashimi is going to be brewed with more wheat than soy and will be lighter and sweeter, while the stuff you get with some yakitori might be all soy and no wheat.

What's the application and what soy sauces are you worried about?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

The Midniter posted:

*clicks link*

What trolling on the pasta salad? I'm looking at the video and theres only 500 views and not many comments.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

It kind of depends where you got them. It was explained to me that basically any soy sauce you buy in a non-Asian market is going to "Japanese" style which is basically a blend of light and dark Chinese soy sauce.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

goodness posted:

What trolling on the pasta salad? I'm looking at the video and theres only 500 views and not many comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA

This video breaks down the calorie content of the horrendously unhealthy pasta salad she makes. There's a reason the comments have been disabled.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Phaxtor posted:

I won a $99 dorkfood controller from an ICSA (thanks again goons!) and use it with my crockpot. I just use regular 1 gallon ziplocks as well, no vacuum sealer or anything and it makes for amazing steaks and also in-shell poached eggs (which are great to have a dozen on hand ready to go at any time).

Speaking of sous-vide, anyone got tips / recipes for pork loin? It's such a 'meh' cut of meat for me usually and I haven't found a good use for it but it was super super cheap at the grocery this week. If not sous-vide than any other decent recipes for a pork loin?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SubG posted:

Croquettes.

If you're just talking about supermarket brands, not that much. A generic Japanese soy sauce will probably be sweeter than a generic Chinese light soy, but you can generally sub one for the other. But there are actually many varieties of each. E.g. the soy that's likely to come with your shashimi is going to be brewed with more wheat than soy and will be lighter and sweeter, while the stuff you get with some yakitori might be all soy and no wheat.

What's the application and what soy sauces are you worried about?

Pearl River Bridge Superior Light Soy sauce, and Kikkoman (my usual); both brewed, with no hydrolized soy bullshit.

Main uses: sushi/sashimi, rice of all types, splashed in with various meat/pasta dishes.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Now that we're talking soy sauce, I think I made a terrible mistake. I bought this stuff, because it was the only brand that didn't have wheat flour as the second freaking ingredient. Unfortunately, it smells FOUL. Tastes great, but that funk is ridiculous. Anyone used this stuff before? Should I just throw it out and get other stuff? It only cost a couple of bucks, so I'm not that fussed.

Now that I think about it, it's likely fermented black bean that's the "bean" in the listing. Hmm.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It could be soy fermented with fish stuff.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

dino. posted:

Now that we're talking soy sauce, I think I made a terrible mistake. I bought this stuff, because it was the only brand that didn't have wheat flour as the second freaking ingredient. Unfortunately, it smells FOUL. Tastes great, but that funk is ridiculous. Anyone used this stuff before? Should I just throw it out and get other stuff? It only cost a couple of bucks, so I'm not that fussed.

Now that I think about it, it's likely fermented black bean that's the "bean" in the listing. Hmm.

Congratulations, you found some black soybean sauce. I can't seem to find the drat thing around here.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I think im gonna finally be defrosting some Tuna steaks I have tonight. Any good recommendations for how to prepare it, for someone who like the raw flavor of tuna and tuna tataki and all that stuff?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Gozinbulx posted:

I think im gonna finally be defrosting some Tuna steaks I have tonight. Any good recommendations for how to prepare it, for someone who like the raw flavor of tuna and tuna tataki and all that stuff?

Seared. I usually do that recipe and then toss the marinade into the pan to thicken to a glaze.

Mrs. Gunderson
Nov 5, 2012

Gozinbulx posted:

Well I'm pretty partial to tuna noodle hotdish. You just want to make sure you cook your fish all the way first because otherwise you could get pretty sick, doncha know!

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Jan posted:

Seared. I usually do that recipe and then toss the marinade into the pan to thicken to a glaze.

This is basically what I wanted, thanks!

Though it insists on fresh tuna. Am I boned?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

This is basically what I wanted, thanks!

Though it insists on fresh tuna. Am I boned?

All tuna has been frozen unless you somehow caught it yourself and even then you probably tossed it in a freezer.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

All tuna has been frozen unless you somehow caught it yourself and even then you probably tossed it in a freezer.

Good point.

I have caught tuna though. Miami represent.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Jan posted:

Congratulations, you found some black soybean sauce. I can't seem to find the drat thing around here.

I'd be glad to send it over. That stuff smells foul.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
What's then difference between the Pearl River Light and Dark soy sauce?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bum the Sad posted:

the translucency?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

I'd be glad to send it over. That stuff smells foul.

Says the guy who tells us to just let the hing sit on the counter and stink up our houses :mmmhmm:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Bum the Sad posted:

Light is used for everyday stuff, "normal" cooking, etc.

Dark is often used for color and to give it uhh... a darker taste, I guess. It is basically only used for cooking, ever.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Mrs. Gunderson posted:

Well I'm pretty partial to tuna noodle hotdish. You just want to make sure you cook your fish all the way first because otherwise you could get pretty sick, doncha know!

Oh, Mrs. Gunderson. <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mister Macys posted:

Pearl River Bridge Superior Light Soy sauce, and Kikkoman (my usual); both brewed, with no hydrolized soy bullshit.

Main uses: sushi/sashimi, rice of all types, splashed in with various meat/pasta dishes.
You can use Kikkoman's `All-Purpose' soy and PRB light interchangeably. That said, I think PRB light is a much better general-purpose soy than Kikkoman AP. But that's a personal preference thing; I think Kikkoman is kinda bland and one-note.

It's probably worth noting that a soy purist will tell you that Kikkoman AP is a kind of soy called koikuchi, which is about half and half soy and wheat. If you're pairing a Japanese soy with fish the traditional choice would be a variety called shiro, which is more wheat than soy and is milder and sweeter.

Our theoretical soy purist will also tell you that me saying that PRB light and Kikkoman AP can be used interchangeably isn't quite right either, as the kind of Japanese soy most like the typical Chinese soy, like PRB light, is a variety called tamari (which is almost all soy with just a little wheat).

But whatever. If you're really concerned about getting things traditional or whatever read up on all this poo poo and fret over it and whatever. But if you're just cooking and don't want poo poo to taste weird this is all firmly in the `don't loving worry too much about it' category.

Bum the Sad posted:

Chinese light soys are made from first pressing soy squeezins. A high quality Chinese light soy will be all soy with no wheat or other flavourings, but most supermarket brands will contain some wheat or other flavourings for consistency. The generic Chinese light soy is the general-use Chinese soy most people are probably most familiar with.

Chinese dark soys are fermented longer than light soys. They are almost always flavoured with sugar, HFCS, molasses, or something similar. They're thicker but the flavour is milder than light soys. They're not really a general-use soy, and are used primarily to adjust the flavour and consistency of sauces.