Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I'm imagining a team of men in white coats and safety glasses crowded around a miniature metal babby swapping arms and engines and nodding sagely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

various cheeses posted:

I'm imagining a team of men in white coats and safety glasses crowded around a miniature metal babby swapping arms and engines and nodding sagely.

and then throwing it in the trash and turning to a Jenner or Raven or Ember

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

and then throwing it in the trash and turning to a Jenner or Raven or Ember

Exactly.

Honestly the best thing for any group is a competent leader/cat herder like Chronojam said. I don't know who those people are off the top of my head though, other than maybe JadeRaven and Phorashi.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'd put kdr in the top 5 or w/e of MWO groups, and we could take games off anyone out there period on a good night. But we never played enough to ascend to consistent king of poo poo mountain. I mean, we organized a ~team practice night~ once a week and that was enough to keep relevant with people pouring vastly more time in, which was more than good enough for me.

Chronojam posted:

We would have fifty guys available at any given moment, and while maybe not fifty guys who all knew what the hell was going on 100%, they were fifty guys who had at least a couple competent leader/cat-herder types among them and they all were backed by the build sperging and theorycrafting of top men. We had ready-to-rock loadouts with charts and graphs to compare and contrast them, and the very best how-to-play materials available. Our worst guys were easily yanked up to a good baseline competence and we had a ton of them.

And very few strings attached. No real participation or skillset or cash requirements.

This is giving me some good feels. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. Hopefully we get to something like this again. Though, I don't mind the laidback attitude, but it was like that before people got tryhard way back when, anyways. We get about 30 on a good night. I'm sure if CW isn't a steaming pile of poo poo we'll gain some momentum.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If anyone in wol was ever really "tryhard" I don't know who it was. Unless you consider a team practice once a week tryharding, in which case IT WAS MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Honestly I wonder if my 3L build/playstyle would even be that good in a highly competitive environment.

Well I got this stormcrow if not. :shrug:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

various cheeses posted:

Honestly I wonder if my 3L build/playstyle would even be that good in a highly competitive environment.

Well I got this stormcrow if not. :shrug:

Finding the ridiculously broken cheese that the new quirk system is likely to produce then relentlessly exploiting it while giggling sounds good.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
I fired this up the other night, mainly just to annoy Chomp. While the mech is powering up, it's reacting to my TrackIR. Is trackIR viable for this game, or am I just seeing the remnants of something cooler?

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
Has anyone had any positive experiences with flamers? I tossed a pair onto the arm of my battlemaster (6 MPL, wub wub) to replace the LPL in order to mitigate heat issues, and I'm liking them.

My alpha's down a bit, sure, but they seem to panic the hell out of the atlases and dire wolves I'm going toe to toe with. They just bring enemy heat up to 90%, right? I could swear I've noticed return fire dropping sharply in my brawls.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
edit - doublepost, sorry!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Gwaihir posted:

If anyone in wol was ever really "tryhard" I don't know who it was. Unless you consider a team practice once a week tryharding, in which case IT WAS MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yeah, for sure. I brought a no-poo poo Dragon to a RHOD tournament drop. We weren't tryhards in the least, exception being there was some definite competitiveness when it came to goon-on-goon violence drops. It was still all in the name of good fun (and alcoholism to some degree).

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

"tryhard" compared to the abyss of non-caring we have now :dukedog:

KDR squad was fun times.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Thor-Stryker posted:

Except it'll be like that one zombie browser game where goons tried taking over the game as one faction and the devs actively prevented them by giving the losing faction a whole bunch of different boosts and air-drops. That game had the best pubbie tears though.

EvE?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Chronojam posted:

(and alcoholism to some degree).

All hail the WoL tumbler:

(Seriously the best alcohol transport device ever)

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Hav posted:

I fired this up the other night, mainly just to annoy Chomp. While the mech is powering up, it's reacting to my TrackIR. Is trackIR viable for this game, or am I just seeing the remnants of something cooler?

I don't have trackIR but word has it that the game fully supports it. Whether it's a good control scheme I have no idea though.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Merton Blask posted:

edit - doublepost, sorry!

don't feel too bad about double posting in this thread, while I wouldn't advise going all gungho anywhere else

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

:rimshot:

I think this was Urban Dead.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

drat I didn't know those existed.

I won a patch at the last big mumble event. I'm just glad goons play again tbh.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

aniviron posted:

I don't have trackIR but word has it that the game fully supports it. Whether it's a good control scheme I have no idea though.

I have a trackir most of the mechs aren't worth using it with because their cockpits have no side windows. The raven is pretty cool with it though.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

Are we not going to discuss the Emoticandy behind it? Because thats awesome.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Great Beer posted:

Are we not going to discuss the Emoticandy behind it? Because thats awesome.

Yea, that's from fellow Goon Leroy Diplowski: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564224

It fuckin owns: http://raleysconfectionary.com/shop/emoticon-mix-rock-candy

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I love that they're calling their lovely "Community Warfare" they threw together in a week Phase Two, like there was any shred of community warfare before it. It's just some more blatant misrepresenting of facts (ala "MWLL is just copying us, so it's not worth keeping around since we're so far ahead on features") that they're going to get away with because people are loving morons.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I just ordered like $20 bucks worth of this stuff.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

I love that they're calling their lovely "Community Warfare" they threw together in a week Phase Two, like there was any shred of community warfare before it. It's just some more blatant misrepresenting of facts (ala "MWLL is just copying us, so it's not worth keeping around since we're so far ahead on features") that they're going to get away with because people are loving morons.

No no no, you see Phase I was Unit Creation that should have been in at open beta.

Look, I have this all written down somewhere *pulls out a crumpled napkin*

TeeMerk fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 24, 2014

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.

Gwaihir posted:

drat I wish I would have ordered one of those...curse being poor!

Also, problem with try hard-ing at the moment is it's just a grab-bag of people coming on with no real consistency. Really, just having 1-2 people on dictating actions works for the most part, but if we wanted to get semi-serious we would need to start doing teams again. I don't know if it's quite at a point we need to worry about doing that; as it's only recently that we started to get some good numbers up for people playing. Maybe if someone wanted, they could get a team going for people interest.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
We can start try harding with teams and designated roles and rapport etc etc when there is a real reason to do so. Right now we still roll 70% of the groups we come across, except in 12 man drops where it's closer to even. There are only one or two groups that when we encounter we know will completely roll us. And it's all meaningless because matchmaking is arbitrary. When the time comes that actually playing to win will result in more pubbie tears than just playing at all, then by all means we should do that to produce maximum comedy. Until that point, just shooting robots is fun and try hard elements like optimum builds are at best wasted effort and at worst literally the poo poo we mock.

It's fun to play and win when we are hated and can reliably own people while squawking, but right now the game lacks the infrastructure to support that, and in any case we stomp most pubs anyhow in all but the twelve man queue.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I am going to laugh when quirks come out and my terrible lovely canon-loadout builds become the new meta.

(Shut up I can dream can't I?)

e: Also yeah when we go up against organized 12-mans we lose a good bit but I still kind of feel like we 'won' because we don't all have coordinated camo/paint and basically don't give half as much of a poo poo as they obviously do.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I mean, the game is currently at the point where one robot choice can change the outcome. Last night while twelve man dropping we were sucking hard while I ran a Jenner, then we got serious because someone didn't like losing and we were in the twelve man queue, so I switched into a support build Kit Fox with ECM and a triple AMS umbrella and we started owning. So the elements are there to try hard but we don't need to hit that switch yet, it's not worth it until we can wreck the CW map like goonfleet in Eve.

JadeRaven
Nov 12, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

WOL was never the best ~pro gamers~ in MWO, whether in 2012 or now.

I was the best though.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
And let's not forget who the bigger source of pubbie tears are. It's not the try hard gamer dudes or even the fuckin horseland people. The best source of comedy and tears are the battletech grognards who will pout about space China trouncing all over the space Nazis or whatever they like. The house Steiner roleplayers who will cry because it's not canon for Liao to own hard or some poo poo.

We draw the very inspiration for our bird motif from the idiot dumb canon books having and alternate dimension with Tetetae or whatever. Squawking originally pissed off grognards because our noble Tetetae warriors ruined their immersion.

And the best thing about that is: those players? They ain't very good.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

JadeRaven posted:

I was the best though.

Best goon.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Maybe the best at actually playing, but I was the best at playing with a core2quad and gt430i literally on a wacom tablet (and a few times with a wacom pen).

I am so much better at this game on a real computer, but I like to think that experience helped make me what I am today.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

various cheeses posted:

Exactly.

Honestly the best thing for any group is a competent leader/cat herder like Chronojam said. I don't know who those people are off the top of my head though, other than maybe JadeRaven and Phorashi.

:blush:

D'aww

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Paramemetic posted:

Maybe the best at actually playing, but I was the best at playing with a core2quad and gt430i literally on a wacom tablet (and a few times with a wacom pen).

I am so much better at this game on a real computer, but I like to think that experience helped make me what I am today.

I slaughtered goons uphill both ways to brofist's with the nipplemouse on my thinkpad, what's up now!?

(OK a tablet is probably still worse).

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Paramemetic posted:

Maybe the best at actually playing...

lol. No.

JadeRaven
Nov 12, 2008

I assume you are objecting because of the use of word maybe.

This is the build that people were asking me for. I think I spent a little more time placing ammo on my actual robit. There is probably a better configuration in regard to the placement of the explosive ammo, but I can't be hosed to log in to see what I did.

The Anders Build

JadeRaven fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 24, 2014

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

JadeRaven posted:

I assume you are objecting because of the use of word maybe.

Of course! :allears:

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Who Is Top Goon

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Paramemetic posted:

We draw the very inspiration for our bird motif from the idiot dumb canon books having and alternate dimension with Tetetae or whatever. Squawking originally pissed off grognards because our noble Tetetae warriors ruined their immersion.

Um excuse me but Far Country is canon and not alternate universe.
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Kavros posted:

Who Is Top Goon

It's me. In all regards.

• Locked thread