Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Tarezax posted:

My boarding attempts have mostly ended in self-destruction :saddowns:

This has been my experience; boarding isn't even worth the recycled air marines breathe. Good ships are available (somewhat randomly) from military markets once your rep is decent. If a ship is intact after a battle I make sure it gets shot until it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Brainbread posted:

Grab a crappy shuttle, and hard dock and fight ship to ship. Sending in Marines + their crew in your own crew will give you quite a few ships. Out of ~~boarding maneuvers, they've gotten away once or twice, had one that was too wrecked to salvage, and another that exploded itself. So its at least a 50% or more chance to capture new ships. Its definitely worth it.

I use the Mercury shuttle, hard dock with 29 marines, and I have like a 50% too wrecked, 30% captured, 20% self destructed taking out the marines and shuttle. But the problem I have is that getting large ships in reasonable numbers is easy, but frigates that aren't either D type or non-combat are nowhere to be found.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I almost exclusively only am ever able to capture Carriers or Cruisers.

Everything else blows up 70-80% of the time.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I'd like for boarding ships to be expanded slightly, say multiple levels of decreasing chance.

So theres a very good chance the ship will simply be ravaged enough by the fight to be only worth the scrap.
A slightly less chance that the ship will be mostly intact but ruined by the fighting/internal sabotage and need extensive repairs.
A small chance that the ship will be intact and mostly good to go do to the crew surrendering.
And about an equal with that chance that the crew will opt to self-destruct.

The last two can be influenced by other factors too, perhaps a reputation for being a merciful opponent encourages surrender, or a frightening reputation might raise the chance of both?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'd like boarding pods to be a thing in combat. Make it a missile or drone/fighter thing that's launched from a ship but they pop on shields so you better fire them when they are venting or disabled. Marines will attempt to gently caress up engines and weapons and generally cause critical failures (permanently disable modules during combat). If you saturate a single ship during combat it will eventually become disabled and start drifting and be a good pick after combat.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

What determines whether a ship becomes destroyed or disabled/boardable, and how do you aim to disable a ship?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ships are disabled when they blow up and leave a hulk in the combat area. Destroyed when you continue pumping ordinance into the hulk until it blows up again into nothing.

Disabled -> Boardable is random chance.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Liking the patch a lot so far. Was just wondering how far along BRDY is to being updated, I decided to take a break from my current campaign and wait for some of the mods to update. That one in particular :P

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Unreal_One posted:

What I really want is some way to order frigates. Like, place an order, pay 120% of the price, and the next time that frigate shows up for sale on that planet in a market you have access to, buy it and announce that it's bought. Obviously this could extend to the other ship sizes, but I just want to be able to replace my goddamn non-D Wolf. I've seen one for sale, and snapped that up, but haven't seen another since. Maybe even make combat frigates available on the open market.

For the factions, there definitely need to be factions of just one planet, and non-factional raiders/highwaymen that will always be aggressive to you, like the roving bandits in Mount and Blade.

e: It's to the point that I will shield my Wolf with my Sunder, even if it means I lose the Sunder, since Destroyers are so much easier to come by.

What I would like is some kind of repair/manufacturing ship that makes frigates replaceable like fighters, so they can get destroyed during combat but they'll stick around in your fleet and can be repaired back up for some supplies. Maybe make it cruiser-sized, and then have a battleship-sized one that can repair destroyers too.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Triarii posted:

What I would like is some kind of repair/manufacturing ship that makes frigates replaceable like fighters, so they can get destroyed during combat but they'll stick around in your fleet and can be repaired back up for some supplies. Maybe make it cruiser-sized, and then have a battleship-sized one that can repair destroyers too.

Yikes. That's not even remotely balanced. Fighters' ability to be replaced is balanced out by their generally lower power. Frigates, on the other hand, can tear poo poo up something fierce but aren't meant to be the focal points in combat. More frigates should be available on the market though, since the game pushes you pretty heavily towards a frigate-based fleet makeup.

Also, it's no substitute for Black Rock, but Shadowyards has a dev version up for the new patch.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It would be nice if the "chance to replace ships" skill wasn't a one-shot at 5 points but a scaling 10% per point. Since replaced ships come in with barely any equipment intact and heavily damaged there's already a huge cost associated with getting ships destroyed and recovered. It already is blatantly the Mount and Blade surgery skill, might as well go full hog and make it work like that completely.

Then again, there needs to be a complete skill tree overhaul in general.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 24, 2014

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Does the bottom skill tree actually do anything, or is it a placeholder?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Triarii posted:

I'm really hoping that stuff like the planet infrastructure and abilities listed in the top right of the trade screen will become something we can eventually develop ourselves.

And that construction rigs can eventually be used to build maybe space stations and possibly some ships.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Yikes. That's not even remotely balanced. Fighters' ability to be replaced is balanced out by their generally lower power. Frigates, on the other hand, can tear poo poo up something fierce but aren't meant to be the focal points in combat. More frigates should be available on the market though, since the game pushes you pretty heavily towards a frigate-based fleet makeup.

Also, it's no substitute for Black Rock, but Shadowyards has a dev version up for the new patch.

As it stands, I tend to not use frigates at all because I can't trust the AI to not dive in front of an Onslaught and get vaporized. Even if they were plentiful in stations, the tedium of having to hunt around to replace the particular ships I lost and then re-fit them with what I think their loadout was last time would make using them a chore.

Plus, having more things explode in space is cooler. As it stands the game seems to want me to win every battle with no losses if I'm to keep progressing. Tuning battles to be harder such that I'm expected to lose some minor ships (which can then be repaired) would make things feel more exciting and believable.

Edit: I didn't mean frigates being repaired mid-battle and then re-launched out of a ship's flight deck, if that's what it sounded like. They'd be disabled for that battle and then repaired over a few days in the system map.

Triarii fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 25, 2014

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I'm really hoping that stuff like the planet infrastructure and abilities listed in the top right of the trade screen will become something we can eventually develop ourselves.

And that construction rigs can eventually be used to build maybe space stations and possibly some ships.

Construction Rig + Supplies and Fuel: ability to repair ships from (D) to normal status, for the true hunter gatherer. :allears:

And more social interaction options please, like the ability to intimidate fleets into dumping their cargo for a smaller rep hit than blowing the fleet to bits. Or a "Really? A 40k cargo tax for the massive load of food I'm bringing your starving masses?" dialog choice. Stuff like that.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Can I easily increase the zoom out level during combat further than normal?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Triarii posted:

As it stands, I tend to not use frigates at all because I can't trust the AI to not dive in front of an Onslaught and get vaporized.

Same. I also have the frequent problem of them rushing in front of me right as I'm about to fire, instead of flanking.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
macross.gif

Finally, I can live out my dreams of being an anime. :stwoon:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Demiurge4 posted:

I'd like boarding pods to be a thing in combat. Make it a missile or drone/fighter thing that's launched from a ship but they pop on shields so you better fire them when they are venting or disabled. Marines will attempt to gently caress up engines and weapons and generally cause critical failures (permanently disable modules during combat). If you saturate a single ship during combat it will eventually become disabled and start drifting and be a good pick after combat.

Boarding should launch a Space Hulk mini-game

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo carriers are overpowered.

Went into a HUGE fight with only a Condor Light-Carrier, 2 bomber and 2 fighter squads and 1 Hammerhead, and absolutely wrecked my bounty target.

3 Buffalo-IIs, 1 Sunder, 1 Hammerhead and assorted frigates went poof somehow within quite literally 1.3 minutes.

Gotta find me more carriers.

On a related note, I've found that I've had to resort to piracy of the Independent faction, seeing as they're just asking to be pirated on, running around with all those precious supplies.

Best part is, no one cares when you murder space-faring civilians, so much so that you can work your way through the queue at the space dock, and it's all business as usual.

EDIT: Is there any reason to destroy an enemy ship, as opposed to simply disabling it?

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 25, 2014

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

McGiggins posted:

EDIT: Is there any reason to destroy an enemy ship, as opposed to simply disabling it?

Gets the hulk out of the way. It's generally something that happens by accident, though it takes a lot of damage.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

McGiggins posted:

Holy poo poo carriers are overpowered.

Went into a HUGE fight with only a Condor Light-Carrier, 2 bomber and 2 fighter squads and 1 Hammerhead, and absolutely wrecked my bounty target.

3 Buffalo-IIs, 1 Sunder, 1 Hammerhead and assorted frigates went poof somehow within quite literally 1.3 minutes.

Gotta find me more carriers.

On a related note, I've found that I've had to resort to piracy of the Independent faction, seeing as they're just asking to be pirated on, running around with all those precious supplies.

Best part is, no one cares when you murder space-faring civilians, so much so that you can work your way through the queue at the space dock, and it's all business as usual.

Fighters are really good against unshielded targets, especially since swarmers are HE damage now. Many pirate ships don't have shields.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So, any tips on how to make money early on? I am struggling quite a bit, pirates are far and rare apart, and every other nation is too huge.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

For easy mode, choose bounty hunter at the start - that'll get you the best starting frigate (Wolf). Then just hunt pirates in whatever location has a bounty on them at the moment. You start in a system with a really high one (3000 for a frigate) that'll last 2 months, so you should get at least 3-4 fights into that time span (and with a Wolf you can easily take on 2 combat frigates without risk at the same time). Make sure you've got enough supplies to last you through your repairs to stay out hunting longer and off you go.

For even easier mode put your points into burn speed.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Also, feel free to kill Independants.

There is literally no downside other than the mercenary/patrols sometimes get a little snippy. I just kill them.

Excellent source of supplies and other saleable items.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Do not kill Independents if you want to make money hunting pirates. Half the bounties put on pirates are set by the Independent faction and they don't pay you if they hate you.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Finally made enough from bounties that I bought an Onslaught.

I forgot how crazy it is, especially once you've leveled up to the 5 point ballistics & energy weapon bonuses in the combat and tech trees. I'm melting everything I've come across and almost never take any damage at all.

Made back the credits I spent on it (including weapons and crew and supplies) in about half an hour from more bounties.

Now if only I could get up to 'cooperative' with Tri-Tach...

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I always end up in a souped up Sunder when I play vanilla. Autopulse, needlers, 360 shield, and torpedoes or swarmers depending on what I'm gonna fight. Expanded magazines for those long lethal Autopulse bursts. 3x Heavy Blaster is also hilarious, but far more risky.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

It is so ridiculously hard to get a large energy mount compared to how easy it is to get large ballistic slots. I want to try the newly non-Onslaught specific Thermal Pulse Cannons! But there's nothing with large energy to put them on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

It is so ridiculously hard to get a large energy mount compared to how easy it is to get large ballistic slots. I want to try the newly non-Onslaught specific Thermal Pulse Cannons! But there's nothing with large energy to put them on.

Uhh, really?

The sunder destroyer comes with one and they've available, albeit often damaged, from most black market dealers. It's the one that looks like a tuning fork.

A large ballistic mount only comes on some large and slow capital ships.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

This is a bug. You cannot mount them on anything and they will be removed in the hotfix coming.

It's due to the shop lists being taken from the mounting on ships but it's 100% not intentional.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is there any reason to pick up capital ships in the campaign mode, aside from carriers for fighter support? I just like zipping around in my murderboat rather than slow rear end capital ships.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

andrew smash posted:

Is there any reason to pick up capital ships in the campaign mode, aside from carriers for fighter support? I just like zipping around in my murderboat rather than slow rear end capital ships.

Buy a Conquest and learn how wrong you are. It doesn't matter how effective or efficient it is, it is a goddamn awesome ship to drive. :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

andrew smash posted:

You can use a tug, augmented engines, and navigation skills to bring them up to a very workable burn level.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Uhh, really?

The sunder destroyer comes with one and they've available, albeit often damaged, from most black market dealers. It's the one that looks like a tuning fork.

A large ballistic mount only comes on some large and slow capital ships.

Guess what kind of Sunder doesn't have a large Energy mount. It's the (D) one.

Edit: drat there are a lot of Hounds with different paint schemes. Lots of non-D ones too. And the Pirate version Buffalo is really awesome. 300 Shielded Cargo units, no defects and a great paint job. They'll probably have to find a way to make paintjobs not take separate ship slots, because that is going to be hell on the Codex (and probably the RAM usage too?).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 25, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Still, I see a fair few intact sunders in most developed shipyards. I guessed the D one probably wouldn't have full weapon mounts but I've yet to see anything except an onslaught which requires full hegemony/sindrian rep to buy which mounts a large ballistic.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Augh, Church Luddic somehow had an Atlas superfreighter and a Venture up for sale. And because of my trading acquisitions are tied up in goods scattered across the galaxy, I can't buy any of them.

Guess I'll buy an intact Wolf as a consolation prize. :sigh:

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Has anyone seen that Tri-Tach Apogee(sp?) Cruiser spawn in game or in a store? I really want one but I can't even find a fleet with one, let alone a station. Same goes for the Conquest Battlecruiser.

Also, do specific fleets resupply stations with new ships or is it just a random spawn over time?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If they do improve the ship variant system, it'd be nice if we could get some changes to the weapon hardpoints too. Some with more or fewer, some with bigger or smaller, or different types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

For people playing Uomoz's Sector on the previous version, are there any ships worth modifying? Most of them just let you change the ship's aggressiveness but surely there must be some that let you change up the ship layout? I mostly tool around in hitech ships, I don't know if it's all lowtech ships that get the most interesting changes or something.