Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sithsaber posted:

You sure waste precious seconds responding to "nothing"! Wait, I just did the same thing.

BYE!

Ps. Sin eaters were a thing in places like Britain up until the modern period. I heard his accent and just assumed Hug Jesus was a deluded imitator of that occult role.

SECOND BYE!

Can't you just say "Actually, what I meant was x" instead of sounding like an insane person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He was just a man that figured out how the departure worked. He's David Copperfield and the secret to his illusion is wishing really hard.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Last Chance posted:

Can't you just say "Actually, what I meant was x" instead of sounding like an insane person?

You do know that I was responding to a troll post, right?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sithsaber posted:

You do know that I was responding to a troll post, right?

I don't think that person was trolling. I reread your post a few times and it really seems like word salad to me.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Last Chance posted:

I don't think that person was trolling. I reread your post a few times and it really seems like word salad to me.

I don't see how. :)

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I always feel like there should be an answer even if it will never be spelled out. So even if it's never revealed on the show, the writers all know it was aliens, and that the UFOs make dogs freak out. So at least everything is consistent and that really obsessive guy has a chance of figuring it all out and blowing our minds.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

I always feel like there should be an answer even if it will never be spelled out. So even if it's never revealed on the show, the writers all know it was aliens, and that the UFOs make dogs freak out. So at least everything is consistent and that really obsessive guy has a chance of figuring it all out and blowing our minds.
In this case, I think it's better that there's not an answer, even a private one known only to the writers of the show.

Think of the recurrence throughout the season of Job and its themes, culminating with the passage read over Patti's grave. The show explicitly makes the case that God is terrifying because, even if you are righteous (and who is?) he can and will utterly gently caress with your life in ways and for reasons that are unfathomable but that, despite that, you should do everything you can to avoid falling into despair. What the show presents through the Departure and the ensuing insanity, I think, is a genuine exploration of Christian existentialism. Which is refreshing in an era when "God works in mysterious ways" is typically repeated with a shrug, smile, and zero thought.

A humanly-understandable explanation for the Departure would seriously undermine all of that.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Binge watched this fucker in two days and I gotta say I really like it. Hopefully nothing gets answered, as weird as that may sound, I am loving the insane ambiguity of not knowing what the gently caress is really going on; I am as lost as everyone on the show. Maybe it is because I have watched too many series that really want to wrap everything up and leave little to the imagination of the viewers, but I am enjoying the poo poo outta this and look forward to season two.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
loving seconded.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Binge watched this fucker in two days and I gotta say I really like it. Hopefully nothing gets answered, as weird as that may sound, I am loving the insane ambiguity of not knowing what the gently caress is really going on; I am as lost as everyone on the show. Maybe it is because I have watched too many series that really want to wrap everything up and leave little to the imagination of the viewers, but I am enjoying the poo poo outta this and look forward to season two.

I want it unanswered because I love the idea of a show sticking to its ambiguity all the way through, and because we've seen what happens when DL tries to answer questions.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Next season's thread title better be THE LEFTOVERS: LOST really hosed a lot of people up

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
The LOSTovers, Season 2.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Next season's thread title better be THE LEFTOVERS: LOST really hosed a lot of people up

Yeah, I'm hoping all the people confused about what this show is will be on the bandwagon or have given up at this point.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
While they went strongly off book in the first season, a lot of it is still based on the book. You can say the general outline is pretty close. Season two would be the first season to really be *all* them, so you'll probably still have a lot of people that are withholding judgement for the first little bit of it. In a very real sense nobody has any idea *what* the gently caress the show is at this point, because it's still largely just an adaption of an existing work. With season 2, you'll really see what the want to make it into.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

From Wikipedia:

quote:

For the second season, the main cast was trimmed from 14 series regular roles to 6, with Emily Meade, Amanda Warren, Michael Gaston, Max Carver, Charlie Carver and Annie Q. not returning, however guest roles are a possibility; with Liv Tyler and Ann Dowd possibly returning.

So the teenage friend that Garvey was going to gently caress isn't back, the twins (aka the best characters) aren't back, the mayor isn't back, and of all loving things, the dog man isn't back.

Not feeling good about TVIV> The Leftovers Season 2: LOST really hosed a lot of people up and speaking of gently caress ups so did the writers

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
That is dumb dumb dumb dumb and they are cutting some of the best characters from the show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hold on now, let's not get crazy, didn't they just say they were cutting the main recurring / billed cast? All of those people could still show up once in a while, right?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
As long as Carrie Coon is still around :getin:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

That is dumb dumb dumb dumb and they are cutting some of the best characters from the show.

Yeah, that kinda sucks. The Mayor and the daughter's friend were my favorite characters. Garvey was okay, too, once you found out how lovely his life was before and why he's been Hulk-levels of pissed about his powerlessness. Before that he just came off as a dick. A flawed dick, but a dick nonetheless.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ugh why not get rid of liv tyler if you're purging half the cast

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Liv Tyler, the character who died last season, the son, and ex wife... so many characters they could have cut instead of who they supposedly have.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I thought they said Ann Dowd and Liv Tyler were cut? Just that there's a good chance they'll make guest appearances.

Aren't the 6 regulars still on the show the four Garveys, Carrie Coon and Christopher Eccleston?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Wait, no twins, no tobacco chewing dog killer, no mayor, no hot Aimee?!

NO TWINS?

Why they do? Someone tell :(

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

According to the source they linked on the Wiki article (http://deadline.com/2014/12/leftovers-cast-shakeup-season-2-series-moves-new-town-hbo-1201311608/) it is because they might be moving to a new setting. Presumably that means the Garvey's are, maybe with Nora or even Laurie in tow. So assuming all of the returning citizens from Mapleton don't just get on a big Partridge Family style bus with them, we will only see occasional scenes in the town with Matt or whoever, and he doesn't really need to interact with the Garvey's friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Guy A. Person posted:

According to the source they linked on the Wiki article (http://deadline.com/2014/12/leftovers-cast-shakeup-season-2-series-moves-new-town-hbo-1201311608/) it is because they might be moving to a new setting. Presumably that means the Garvey's are, maybe with Nora or even Laurie in tow. So assuming all of the returning citizens from Mapleton don't just get on a big Partridge Family style bus with them, we will only see occasional scenes in the town with Matt or whoever, and he doesn't really need to interact with the Garvey's friends.

Well I guess that makes sense that the people who wouldn't join them on the road wouldn't appear anymore. It makes perfect sense.

Still sucks to lose the twins. :(

• Locked thread