Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ffbK4NRg64&t=51s Jeezy ft. Kendrick Lamar Holy Ghost

Some more actual content in a rap thread on SA forums.. here is a Jeezy joint that I think is cool. Kendrick Lamar for whatever reason I have just not been impressed with in the past but this is actually a good feature from the kid here. He has reminded me of 2pac in the past but not in a good way. Like 2pac is brilliant lyrically but is just a psycho sometimes, sort of like a kid in prison or something.. Well Kendrick is lyrically great but it doesn't seem like there's real depth there. Good kid M.A.A.D. city was ok but didn't really stick in my head, you know what I mean? He actually spits some hot fire here on this one. I'm impressed. I think Jeezy sort of 'grounded' him in reality here, if that makes any sense.

e: ohboy now the rap kids are mad cause a man came around.. uh oh.. i'm going to go cry now :(

A3th3r fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The TI album is No Mercy tier. Why such a drop off in quality from Paper Trail and Troubleman?

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

run the jewels 2 leaked like 5 minutes ago. go listen to it

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

A3th3r posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ffbK4NRg64&t=51s Jeezy ft. Kendrick Lamar Holy Ghost

Some more actual content in a rap thread on SA forums.. here is a Jeezy joint that I think is cool. Kendrick Lamar for whatever reason I have just not been impressed with in the past but this is actually a good feature from the kid here. He has reminded me of 2pac in the past but not in a good way. Like 2pac is brilliant lyrically but is just a psycho sometimes, sort of like a kid in prison or something.. Well Kendrick is lyrically great but it doesn't seem like there's real depth there. Good kid M.A.A.D. city was ok but didn't really stick in my head, you know what I mean? He actually spits some hot fire here on this one. I'm impressed. I think Jeezy sort of 'grounded' him in reality here, if that makes any sense.

e: ohboy now the rap kids are mad cause a man came around.. uh oh.. i'm going to go cry now :(

You are a retarded person

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Budget Cop posted:

El-P just posted a direct download to it on Twitter - https://twitter.com/therealelp/status/525530466750058496

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Budget Cop posted:

Came to post this. Zip here http://pigeonsandplanes.com/2014/10/el-p-and-killer-mike-release-run-the-jewels-2/

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

el-p loses his own beat lol

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
RTJ2 is pretty similar to the first, some absolute bangers mixed with some fairly forgettable stuff. I still really like them as a duo, though and would like a RTJ3

Blockbuster Night, Oh My Darling Don't Cry and Angel Dust being my standouts

ALL Due Respect I didn't like at all, though

Bulging Nipples fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 24, 2014

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I gotta disagree. this whole album is :drat: fun like the first one.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

But when will Meow the Jewels leak?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I dunno how anyone could want to hear more than a few minutes of that concept.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

echronorian posted:

People on my Facebook keep linking this loving awful final fantasy 6 x wu tang clan Mashup album so nothing surprises me anymore

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

echronorian posted:

it gets rid of the el-p production :laugh:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RTJ1 was cool cos everyone thought it was gonna be a free 30 min throwaway mixtape / EP thing and it turned out to be one of the best releases last year.
Loving the new one so far!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

echronorian posted:

I gotta disagree. this whole album is :drat: fun like the first one.

Yeah, this. Been listening to it all day.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Wezlar posted:

People on my Facebook keep linking this loving awful final fantasy 6 x wu tang clan Mashup album so nothing surprises me anymore

It's the nostalgia generation.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Kvlt! posted:

Just curious, I dont even know if this exists. Do you guys know any fusions of folk/acoustic music and rap? I love horrocore but have been trying to expand into other genres of rap, and I was wondering if it ever fused with folk music (which I also love) or bluegrass. Just testing the waters, it might not. Thanks guys!

You want to listen to the Kool Keith album "Diesel Truckers". I'm warning you ahead of time that Kool Keith is really good and it sounds like you don't like music that's good, but here it is.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
If you ever said "I like Horrorcore Rap" and you weren't talking about enjoying some Kool Keith albums, now's your chance to stop being loving stupid.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Blockbuster Night Part 1 makes me want to do so many terrible things.

I just moved to Chicago this week without a job and I might buy my ticket to that show at the Metro today.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 24, 2014

spoils
Nov 2, 2012
Dopeee

Goddamn Zac de La Rocha why did you have to ruin the album and my groove
BITCHES BREW get it

spoils fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 24, 2014

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013
It's amazing that the three fantastic "leaked" songs aren't even the best songs on the album. "Jeopardy", "Live,Cheat, Steal" and "Angel Duster" are so good. The production on Jeopardy is some God-tier stuff from El.

This is free.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

spoils posted:

Dopeee

Goddamn Zac de La Rocha why did you have to ruin the album and my groove
BITCHES BREW get it

I thought he did pretty good, but I'm also a huge fan of Rage and One Day as a Lion.

Love Again was kind of annoying, but I guess it's just a female version of Twin Hype Back.

spoils
Nov 2, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

I thought he did pretty good, but I'm also a huge fan of Rage and One Day as a Lion.

Love Again was kind of annoying, but I guess it's just a female version of Twin Hype Back.

Just got to Gangsta Boo in Love Again, and yeah I agree
Nothing alienates the young male audience faster than woman rapping about sucking dicks and tongues up their rear end and clits all day...
Angel Duster is good though. Two bad features (Rocha and Gangsta Booboo), and one pretty bad song in Love Again ain't too shabby
Plus yeah it's free

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
RTJ 2 is godlike yep yep yep. I want them to play more of this stuff live! They only played the released singles when they came to Austin and maybe one other song from RTJ2 but I'm not sure I was pretty hosed up.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Just finished listening to RTJ2 in the gym. Fantastic except for love again, which I deleted about halfway through the song.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Omerta posted:

Just finished listening to RTJ2 in the gym. Fantastic except for love again, which I deleted about halfway through the song.

Girl issues? Wanna talk about it?

Edit: this album captures everything I've liked about El p production and killer Mike rapping over the years. AND it goes the extra distance: El p has never sounded better as an MC, the blend of gangster rap and quasi industrial works beautifully, killer Mike balances the message and the punch lines with mind blowing swagger, and the features are perfect, and considering how random they are? Brilliant. It proves the duo are the weird geniuses they seem like.

Plus it just bangs the whole time. Even when the melodies overrun and it becomes 'pretty', it bangs.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 24, 2014

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

echronorian posted:

Girl issues? Wanna talk about it?

The references to oral sex triggered my anxiety because I have a tiny clitdick.

Actually, I just didn't care for the beat or the chorus and I thought the song messed up the otherwise solid flow of the tape.

Anyone have any thoughts on the gunplay mixtape? The only track I got to was numbers on the board, but it was like 80% rewind/record scratch/dj voiceover. Is the whole thing like that?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'm honestly meh about the album/production/el-p verses but maybe he's just not for me :shrug:

Mike on Early is fierce tho

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I love RTJ2 production but yeah I could also do without the majority of El-P's verses

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I feel like his delivery has gotten smoother and smoother over the years but I've always liked his writing so it works for me. Killer Mike is the rapstar though. It's not as bad a pairing as ces cru. I can't stand the white guy in that duo.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I think El-P works in the role he has in RTJ, but his delivery/vocal power just can't rise to the level of Mike (which is top 5 currently out imo)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just got my ticket. Missing Flying Lotus tonight but I've had this poo poo circled for months in both Detroit and Chicago.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Omerta posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the gunplay mixtape? The only track I got to was numbers on the board, but it was like 80% rewind/record scratch/dj voiceover. Is the whole thing like that?

I posted about this a while ago with the same complaint. It's more or less like that the whole time.

DON LOGAN

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Run the Jewels 2 is good

Jeopardy is my favorite song, Zach De La Rocha stinks and you should all listen to the new Gangsta Boo tape

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/29769/gangsta-boo-beatking-underground-cassette-tape-music.html

RTJ2 Will probably end up in my top 5, maybe top 3 of the year. Probably says more about this year than how much I like this

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

echronorian posted:

I feel like his delivery has gotten smoother and smoother over the years but I've always liked his writing so it works for me. Killer Mike is the rapstar though. It's not as bad a pairing as ces cru. I can't stand the white guy in that duo.

whaaaat. Godemis is probably the better rapper, sure, but Ubi is fantastic on both of their most recent albums. His solo track "Phineas Gage" is one of the best tracks on the album.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I hate his voice and delivery and his rhymes are easy. Other dude is real nice though.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

For some reason this freestyle that gunplay released this week is better than anything actually on the mixtape which makes me kinda optimistic about the album

http://soundcloud.com/gunplaylivinglegend/gunplay-50-bars

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

despite my avatar literally being fanart of his logo here is my completely unbiased opinion on el-p: he is the greatest rapper alive

serious opinion: i really really like run the jewels 2 so far. i feel like the production is less monotonous than RTJ1 (early and all due respect blew me away in terms of what i was expecting) and killer mike just keeps finding ways to amaze everyone with his raps. i thought boots on Early was going to be boots riley though and i got all hyped up over nothing lol. i'll have to listen to it more but i think it's definitely going to be in my top 5 of the year so far

ps: the gangsta boo verse rules

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Kenshin posted:

whaaaat. Godemis is probably the better rapper, sure, but Ubi is fantastic on both of their most recent albums. His solo track "Phineas Gage" is one of the best tracks on the album.

Would you agree he looks like a dork though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Robert Analog posted:

Would you agree he looks like a dork though?
He looks like a total dork but so do I