Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I'm pretty sure that WAVE does the best remixes of everything, like Aionion Hetairoi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Blhue posted:

While this post is correct, the all ages patches to the English version of F/SN were made by importing stuff from the console ports, so it's far from impossible. It'll likely just take goddamn years unless someone licenses it officially.

If the script is already done it might be faster, but who knows? I think there's a Vita port (with voices a la Realta Nua) for Tsukihime coming too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's no Vita port of Tsukihime coming. The only Tsukuhime thing right now is the Remake which we know nothing about beyond basic stuff.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Beef Waifu posted:

There's no Vita port of Tsukihime coming. The only Tsukuhime thing right now is the Remake which we know nothing about beyond basic stuff.

What kind of remake is it then? I thought it was some kind of Vita poo poo.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Nasu's straight up rewriting Tsukihime. He has been for a while now.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We have no idea what it's going to be for or what changes they're making to the overall story. We know there will be updated music, designs, probably voices, and the Satsuki route is in as well. We've gotten redesigns for all of the heroines now, as well, but no one knows what the progress on the actual thing is.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Basically all we really know are the new designs:

I think it was rumored to use the Mahoyo engine. I'll believe in a Satsuki route when I see it.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 21, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well so far there's only been art of the heroines and Satsuki, so chances are pretty good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like Arcueid's new boots.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I like that they revamped Ciel to not look like a total dweeb but I'm still hoping she's not literally the most boring character still.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
They will probably remove and replace the h-scenes as well which is fine by me, though admittedly I could have it either way. Though I am wondering what they would put in their place, hopefully nothing really dumb. Also I hope he writes in more Zelretch.

edit:

It will also probably be available on Play Asia much like Fate/Stay Night is.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 21, 2014

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
Man, I so wish there were more VNs for Android (beyond the VNDS stock). Sitting in a bed with a tablet and a cup of tea is the perfect way to play these things.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Myurton posted:

They will probably remove and replace the h-scenes as well which is fine by me, though admittedly I could have it either way. Though I am wondering what they would put in their place, hopefully nothing really dumb. Also I hope he writes in more Zelretch.

edit:

It will also probably be available on Play Asia much like Fate/Stay Night is.

To express their love for each other, Arcueid and Shiki will perform a magical ritual, symbolically represented by Shiki being eaten by a giant cat. :v:

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Silver2195 posted:

To express their love for each other, Arcueid and Shiki will perform a magical ritual, symbolically represented by Shiki being eaten by a giant cat. :v:

Suddenly I had the image of a giant Neco Arc having Shiki in her mouth like some anime piece of fish, with the other Neco versions watching smoking cigarettes.

Also to those that don't know there is already three different versions of the Tsukihime soundtrack. The original visual novel, the Ever After remix CD, and the Tsukibako version of the game which has slightly different music from the original.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 21, 2014

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Kubla Khan posted:

Man, I so wish there were more VNs for Android (beyond the VNDS stock). Sitting in a bed with a tablet and a cup of tea is the perfect way to play these things.

I have a Windows Phone, so even VNDS would be better than the options I have available. I'd be way more likely to finish VNs in my backlog if I could read them on the bus rather than when I'm on my computer with a million other things competing for my attention.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I could only read Tsukihime while listening to Melty Blood OST

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If you play Tsukihime with anything but the original OST you miss out on the greatest ending theme of all time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm playing (reading) through the french fanslation of Mahoyo, and it's amazing how beautiful the game is. It makes Fate look like the original release of Tsukihime.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm playing (reading) through the french fanslation of Mahoyo, and it's amazing how beautiful the game is. It makes Fate look like the original release of Tsukihime.

There's a french translation? Got a link? My french is rusty but I could make it work.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

There's a french translation? Got a link? My french is rusty but I could make it work.

http://moontrad.fr/

It's not finished, only up to chapter 7 out of I have no clue how many (my google-fu failed after minutes of searching, and then I gave up because I'm lazy.) Some of the side-stories you unlock as you go have also been translated. So far the translation seems okay, if a bit too literal in parts (at least I assume that's why you'll sometimes get sentences with really weird/awkwared structure).

The soundtrack is also really good.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

MonsieurChoc posted:

The english fanslation that Commiesubs is working on is completely translated, the problem they are having is that their editor is currently looking for work meaning he/she can't do very much if any editing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

We'll see which one finishes first, I guess. I'll probably stay with the french one: it seems like I barely use my own language anymore.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Time for some mythological :spergin:!
The Heroic Spirits of the Fate franchise are mixes of actual history, myth, and legend with random stuff someone thought was cool, but it can be difficult to tell which is which. Many invented elements feel as though they should have been part of the legend, and sometimes the Nasuverse writers use a lesser-known variant of a legend.
Feel free to say if I’ve gotten something wrong, if there’s something I’ve left out, etc.
This is the first in a series of several planned posts about the Servants and their legends, since there’s so many Servants and so much to say about each.

Arturia Pendragon (Saber):
• Nasu’s interpretation of Excalibur is one of the things that strike most people as “anime bullshit,” but it may actually have some authentic legendary basis. According to Mallory’s Morte D’Arthur, Excalibur shone brightly on at least one occasion, and according to the 9th-century Welsh historian Nennius, Arthur’s “twelfth battle was on Badon Hill and in it nine hundred and sixty men fell in one day, from a single charge of Arthur's, and no-one lay them low save he alone.” This story is probably why Nasu lists Excalibur’s maximum number of targets as 1000 people. Alternatively, Nasu may have been inspired by the powers of the etymologically related sword Caladbolg (see Shirou Emiya (Archer)).
• Older versions of the legend treat the sword in the stone and Excalibur as the same weapon, but at least since Mallory, they became seen as separate to reconcile the story of the sword in the stone with the legend of the Lady of the Lake giving Arthur his sword. Note the similarity between the names “Excalibur” and “Caliburn.”
• Nasu has shortened the length of King Arthur’s reign, doubtless to keep Arturia young enough to make sense as a love interest for Shirou and Rin. (Even as it is, the relationship is pretty weird.) Hence Mordred’s accelerated aging. The Annales Cambriae (perhaps the strongest evidence for a historical King Arthur) places the Battle of Badon in 516 and the Battle of Camlann in 537.
• The title “King of Knights” is probably Urobuchi’s invention, but see these (probably coincidental) 19th-century sources: http://books.google.com/books?id=ud...ghts%22&f=false http://books.google.com/books?id=yt...ghts%22&f=false
• Excalibur had a sheath that protected King Arthur from harm in some way in legend. While the sheath being called Avalon is new (as is the sheath's ability to prevent aging), Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon has the sheath's enchantment come from Avalon (the place).
• Since the legendary Arthur is, of course, not actually dead, but sleeps in Avalon, Saber is the only Heroic Spirit revealed so far to still be a living human.

Cu Chulainn (Lancer):
• In some versions, Gae Bolg has certain drawbacks not shown in Fate/Stay Night: it needs to be dipped in a stream beforehand and thrown with one’s toes, and after killing someone with Gae Bolg, one needs to carefully cut open the corpse to retrieve it (eww!).
• In legend, the Gae Bolg split into barbs to gruesomely pierce someone’s insides (most likely the inspiration for Lancer’s ranged version). It also had some sort of property of always being fatal when used in some versions, although the details are unclear to me. The attack on the target's internal organs (as opposed to simply the heart) is touched on in Hollow Ataraxia, but not in Stay Night.
• Cu Chulainn was known for often entering a berserk state called ríastrad, hence his eligibility for the Berserker class.

Shirou Emiya (Archer):
• The legend of Gan Jiang and Mo Ye (Kanshou and Bakuya) is found in the 4th-century Chinese book In Search of the Supernatural: http://books.google.com/books?id=JVmrAAAAIAAJ&q=sword#v=onepage&q=tomb%20of%20three%20kings&f=false
• The powers of the swords are not described, and some texts treat “Ganjiang Moye” as the name of one man rather than a husband-and-wife team. Apparently some versions treat Gan Jiang and Mo Ye as the names of the swords by not the blacksmiths, and other versions use these names for the smiths but not the swords.
• In the Iliad, the shield of Ajax was made of bronze covered by seven layers of cowhide. According to Fate/Side Material, this was also its original form in the Nasuverse; the exact origin of Archer’s version is vague.
• A red flower is sometimes said to have bloomed when Ajax died, although which species of flower the myth referred to is debatable. I believe that the flower shape of Archer’s version is probably a reference to the plant Consolida ajacis specifically.
• Caladbolg was the sword of either Fergus mac Roich or Fergus mac Leti. Surprisingly, the name “Caladbolg” is etymologically related to “Excalibur.”
• According to Wikipedia, Caladbolg “was said to be a two-handed sword that made a circle like an arc of rainbow when swung, and to have the power to slice the tops off hills and slaughter an entire host,” and both this use of the sword by Fergus and its possible connection to Excalibur are also mentioned in Fate/Complete Material II. It’s amusing to note that this is pretty much what all legendary swords do in the Nasuverse, although Archer never uses Caladbolg II for this purpose, and perhaps is unable to do so.

Medusa (Rider):
• Medusa is probably the Servant most altered from the conventional version of their legend. Some of this is an attempt to cram the legend full of Nasuverse concepts, and some of it relates to less well-known versions, but mostly it comes across as a fanservice thing.
• The mythological Medusa in Ovid's well-known version was originally human, but Nasuverse Medusa was originally a goddess (a type of goddess explicitly unrelated to the Olympians, no less). In both versions, she was turned into a monster by Athena, but Nasu does not mention that this was because Medusa had sex with Poseidon in Athena’s temple. The oldest versions of the Medusa myth make the Gorgons the daughters of sea gods, monstrous from the beginning.
• Nasu’s Medusa is, of course, pretty. Surprisingly, there are some references in art and poetry supporting this, although the Nasuverse Medusa is unique in having normal hair. Hollow Ataraxia reveals that Medusa actually does transform into the snake-haired monster recorded in myth under certain circumstances. However, the mythological Medusa, at least in Ovid's version, petrified people through her sheer ugliness, while Nasuverse Medusa uses her Mystic Eyes to petrify people even in her normal, attractive form.
• There seem to be two different mythical accounts of how Perseus killed Medusa. Did viewing Medusa through a mirror rather than directly protect him from petrification, or did getting her to view her own reflection cause her to petrify herself? The former version fits the origin of Pegasus better, at least. Nasu resolves this by giving Perseus two mirror-like weapons: a mirror-shield to look at Medusa indirectly and a magical sack called Kibisis that reflected her petrifying gaze back at her.
• Pegasus sprung from Medusa’s neck when she died. This is referenced when Rider stabs herself in the neck to summon Pegasus. Presumably her ability to ride him is granted by the Rider class rather than a skill she possessed in life.
• Bloodfort Andromeda is named for Andromeda, a woman Perseus saved from being eaten by a sea monster, who later became a constellation. The function of the Bloodfort has no particular connection to the mythological Medusa, although Hollow Ataraxia makes an attempt to connect it to the island where the Gorgons lived.

Medea (Caster):
• The idea that Medea had a dagger capable of breaking magical contracts has no basis in mythology that I was able to find, and Nasu says that he invented Rule Breaker as a weapon that fit Medea’s treacherous personality, but Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files series seems to have come up with the same idea independently.
• It was indeed Aphrodite's influence that made Medea fall in love with Jason, but it was Hera, not Aphrodite, who was Jason's patron.
• The Argon Coin references the dragon guarding the Golden Fleece. Medea can't actually summon the dragon because, in the myth, she wasn't the one who put the dragon there.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 3, 2015

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

In a F/HA scene where Lancer uses Gae Bolg it's actually described as piercing the heart and then impaling the body from within. (Scene was Ath nGabla)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Silver2195 posted:

Medea (Caster):
• The idea that Medea’s love for Jason was the result of Aphrodite’s mind control is one of the few things that strike me as a mistake rather than deliberate creative license. I suspect Nasu was thinking of Helen of Troy.
• For that matter, the extent to which Aphrodite’s influence in mythology in general is truly external “mind control” or more of a personification of a human tendency toward irrational love is debatable, but in the Odyssey Helen seems to portray herself as a victim of mind control.
• The idea that Medea had a dagger capable of breaking magical contracts has no basis in mythology that I was able to find, and Nasu says that he invented Rule Breaker as a weapon that fit Medea’s treacherous personality, but Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files series seems to have come up with the same idea independently.

No, I remember the story of Jason involving Aphrodite getting Eros to shoot Medea with his arrows. Looking it up confirms it with Hera and Athena convincing Aphrodite to help them out in supporting Jason.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Allarion posted:

No, I remember the story of Jason involving Aphrodite getting Eros to shoot Medea with his arrows. Looking it up confirms it with Hera and Athena convincing Aphrodite to help them out in supporting Jason.

Yup. The only difference in Nasu work is that Jason was favored by Hera, not Aphrodite, that was involved only after Hera request her this favor.
When Jason betrayed Medea, he lost the favor of Hera (the goddess of marriage). He died poor, alone and unhappy, crushed by his own old ship.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd be pretty interested as to how much of Lancelot's abilities actually had some origin in Arthurian legend.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I have heard a legend that King Arthur is merely asleep and will awaken when England needs him. That could have served as the basis for the non-aging or the fact that Saber is still alive.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Allarion posted:

Seems I was just egregiously wrong there. I should have checked that one; I was sure I remembered someone listing every version of the Medea legend and saying that Aphrodite wasn't mentioned in any of them.

Edit: I found where I'd got the idea, but I'd misremembered it. Aphrodite was mentioned in two different versions of the story. The point being made was that both of them could be read as "double determination" rather than "mind control."

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 24, 2014

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I'd be pretty interested as to how much of Lancelot's abilities actually had some origin in Arthurian legend.

As far as I know Arondight is completely made up and is way more modern in origin than anything else related to Lancelot. As far as his combat abilities go, no need to go into a big explanation about those. He was supposed to be the best knight and the only one who could beat Arthur in a sword fight. For another one of his abilities, his disguises are a reference to many stories about Lancelot using disguises, like in the story of Elain of Astolat.

But his qualification for the Berserker class comes from two things: his affair with Elaine of Corbenic, where Guinevere's rejection of his affair caused him to go mad with rage for two years until the Holy Grail cured him of it. The other part of it is rampage to save Guinevere from burning at the stake, which was in Monty Python when Lancelot just goes into that castle and starts going out of his way to kill everyone for basically no reason.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Sylphid posted:

As far as I know Arondight is completely made up and is way more modern in origin than anything else related to Lancelot. As far as his combat abilities go, no need to go into a big explanation about those. He was supposed to be the best knight and the only one who could beat Arthur in a sword fight. For another one of his abilities, his disguises are a reference to many stories about Lancelot using disguises, like in the story of Elain of Astolat.

But his qualification for the Berserker class comes from two things: his affair with Elaine of Corbenic, where Guinevere's rejection of his affair caused him to go mad with rage for two years until the Holy Grail cured him of it. The other part of it is rampage to save Guinevere from burning at the stake, which was in Monty Python when Lancelot just goes into that castle and starts going out of his way to kill everyone for basically no reason.

There's also another story where he uses a tree branch as an improvised weapon to defeat another knight. This is why anything he wields can become his noble phantasm.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nasu actually states in some interview that Gae Bolg's DOES do the thorn thing, I believe when someone asked if Gae Bolg can kill Arc (turns out that it can, but she would eventually be reborn or something iirc).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sylphid posted:

I'm pretty sure it's stated somewhere that any one can be summoned as Berserker, getting a tremendous stat boost but losing their sanity in the process.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think it's opposite, actually. Or at the very least every Berserker we've met thus far has had some sort of justification for the classification. Maybe the Assassin who turned into a Berserker in Fate/Extra is an exception?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm pretty sure it's stated somewhere that any one can be summoned as Berserker, getting a tremendous stat boost but losing their sanity in the process.

I thought that a hero had to have a legendary instance where they went crazy in order to qualify as a Berserker?

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
It's a matter of whether or not you need the extra summoning line. You can summon a Berserker without it if the legend is so inclined, the extra line makes it applicable to anyone though.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
The form of Rho Aias has a pretty cool inspiration: it's said that when Ajax died, a hyacinth flower bloomed where his blood hit the ground. You can get up to seven or eight blooms on a wild hyacinth, so it fits with the whole multiple-layer thing too, and some varieties do come in that sort of red-purple color. (Although it's probably just blood color + glowing.)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

• Excalibur had a sheath that protected King Arthur from harm in some way in legend, but until Nasu I don’t believe a connection was ever drawn between the sheath and the land of Avalon, nor did the sheath prevent aging.

I'm not sure if it has basis in another source, but in Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon the sheath is enchanted with old magic from Avalon and is given to him by his half sister Morgaine who is a priestess from there.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

Seems I was just egregiously wrong there. I should have checked that one; I was sure I remembered someone listing every version of the Medea legend and saying that Aphrodite wasn't mentioned in any of them.

Edit: I found where I'd got the idea, but I'd misremembered it. Aphrodite was mentioned in two different versions of the story. The point being made was that both of them could be read as "double determination" rather than "mind control."

You spoiled Archer's identity under his own heading but not when you mentioned him under Saber's description. Was just wondering if you missed it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

HA has some of the servants go over their backstory, and Rider's in particular is basically maximum :smith:. When Perseus used Kibisis to essentially invert time and space so Medusa would look at herself, her "nightmare" was seeing her two sisters bullying her. This was long, long after she murdered them herself in a crazed frenzy, and she was so shocked at seeing them alive and well again that she froze up long enough for Perseus to cut her head off.

Ironically, this probably means Breaker Gorgon is the perfect anti Dark Sakura weapon.