Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tendales posted:

Use Japanese curry as gravy on mashed potatoes. Don't question it, just do it.

I'm... going to do that for thanksgiving. Maybe on gratin potatoes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Honestly that's not that far off from the kind of curry you find on fries in irish pubs

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
I got some fresh naga-imo at the farmers market today, but I'm at a loss for what to do with it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Taking a stab at the Serious Eats Food Lab Tonkotsu Ramen. About halfway through with working on the broth:

Mainly using only pork trotters and bones, around 6lbs in total.

Charred up some onions, garlic, and ginger.

Not pictured, but I already parboiled the bones and drained the first set of water. The goal here is to remove a lot of the blood and dark marrow that can contribute to a much darker color than usual. I also rinsed and washed the bones to remove any remaining dark spots.

I'm using less fatback (around 0.5lbs) than recommended, and could only find salted so I also gave it a good wash before adding it to the pot.

Around three hours in, the fatback wasn't quite tender enough so I left it in for another 45 min.

Hour four, removing the fatback.

After six hours, I've already removed and stored the fatback. It's starting to take on a nice color and aroma as well. The fat droplets which were more dispersed earlier have started to collate and clump together.

Starting to roast the chashu in a mirin/soy suace/sake mixture with added shallots, garlic, ginger, and scallions.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

stab stabby posted:

I got some fresh naga-imo at the farmers market today, but I'm at a loss for what to do with it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Grate it, put it over fresh made hot rice, add a raw egg yolk and a drizzle of soy sauce and some crushed nori. So good like that.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

hallo spacedog posted:

Grate it, put it over fresh made hot rice, add a raw egg yolk and a drizzle of soy sauce and some crushed nori. So good like that.

Thanks! I'll try that when I can get my hands on some really fresh eggs :D

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Looks amazing. Is this the recipe that you're using?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/09/how-to-make-perfect-tonkotsu-ramen-food-lab-redux.html

Let us know how it turns out!

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Ramen was mostly a success!

In the end I barely had enough broth for five bowls, and I felt I under seasoned it a bit. The color was also a bit off. When I strained it the night before it had a great, creamy off-white color. However, after I chilled it over night before serving it the next day it got much browner. I'm not sure what caused this to be honest, but it's a bit frustrating.

Chashu turned out amazing! It was seriously the best component of the dish.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I'm gonna try my first home made ramen tonight! I'm vegetarian so I was gonna do a mushroom and seaweed broth with black garlic oil and chili - I dunno if it's gonna be the most authentic thing in the world, but I'm still excited and I'll post pics and a recipe assuming I don't horribly embarrass myself.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

So here's that ramen I said I was making (if anyone cares). I went to the local Asian shop and picked up a couple of fun things, especially udon noodles and red miso. What I couldn't find was any wakame, though, which was a bummer, but I just improvised with the nori I picked up. Don't try this at home!

Mise en place! Chef Hernandez would be so proud of me. :3: The base was six cups of water with a tablespoon of dark soy sauce, a tablespoon of vegetable stock, a tablespoon and a half of chili paste, and two table spoons of red miso paste.

Other things for the broth: a tablespoonish of minced fresh ginger, maybe an ounce of dried shiitake mushrooms, some extra firm tofu, and a bunch of nori I crinkled up with my hands. It is a very shameful broth. I'll have to find somewhere that sells wakame around me next time I try this, or maybe just look harder at the store...

Here's everything all nice and cozy in the pot to simmer for a bit, except for...

The black garlic oil! I didn't get a good after picture because I dumped it the broth before I remembered to snap one. I tried doing it by hand with the back of a spoon and it came out as more of a very thick paste in oil, so I'll try better to properly emulsify it next time. It just wasn't enough that I felt it was worthwhile to throw it in a blender since I'd probably lose like half of more on the walls. Other than that, it was really really easy, just throw some garlic in oil over medium heat until it's caramel brown and then turn to low until it's black.

:chillout: I boiled a couple eggs but they came out overdone. I knew I was gonna do that, too, but I didn't have the foresight to actually set a timer and my sense of timing is awful enough that I can't accurately gauge five minutes passing.

A fine hand strainer I used to clarify the broth. Slow, but worked really well, and the broth came out a gorgeous and clear deep brown color.

My kawaii rear end bowl I picked up at the Asian store.

The final product, topped with some reserved mushrooms and tofu, the (overdone) eggs, some nori, green onion, and cracked black pepper I put on after taking the picture. I was really proud of it and I shamelessly showed it off to all my friends the rest of the night. Not bad for a first try, I think! Except for the part where I strained the first batch of noodles too fast and scalded my hand and dropped them all in a gross dirty sink. That part was awful and I hate myself for it.

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 25, 2014

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Those look like some tasty vegetarian noodles. I hesitate to call it ramen purely because the noodles themselves are fundamentally different from udon, but it looks really delicious anyway.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Yeah, I'm getting some serious noodle envy. However, I think you were supposed to be looking for konbu, rather than wakame. There's a pretty big difference.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

kinmik posted:

Yeah, I'm getting some serious noodle envy. However, I think you were supposed to be looking for konbu, rather than wakame. There's a pretty big difference.

The recipe I was kinda hedging was wakame definitely, but I'm not well versed enough in the differences between the two to say. I know for a fact that I probably shouldn't have used nori, but it came out pretty tasty and strained off well enough anyway.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Oh okay, I gotcha. Konbu is thicker and sold in large strips, and imparts much more umami and MSG, while wakame is dramatically thinner and usually comes in shriveled dried flakes. But different strokes, so I trust you to use what you want in what you like. :D

Sorry if I'm sperging, I really really like my seaweed. :blush:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Seaweed is so good! I got a five pack of nori because it was the best deal and I can't stop snacking on it. It's like nature's potato chips.

From those descriptions I'd probably go with the kombu for a broth, anyway, so it sounds like you definitely know more than me.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

WaterIsPoison posted:

Ramen was mostly a success!

In the end I barely had enough broth for five bowls, and I felt I under seasoned it a bit. The color was also a bit off. When I strained it the night before it had a great, creamy off-white color. However, after I chilled it over night before serving it the next day it got much browner. I'm not sure what caused this to be honest, but it's a bit frustrating.

If you don't have enough broth you should be able to water it down a bit. A lot of places I go to have a strong both that they mix with hot water when making ramen.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HDro-KP9Wo

:stare:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I like that bit in the middle, when he's cutting them into sheets. "Wow, he's really eyeballing those sheets. Whoops, half a sheet left over, guess he.. Wait, no, now he's cutting it in half again. Oh gee, a millimeter of waste. Now you're just showing off, guy."

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Hello all! Quick question from a Japanese food newbie:

I want to do some Japanese barbecue/grilling this weekend. My setup will likely just be a fire pit with an aluminum-wrapped grate over the fire.

My plan is yakitori and tsukune, but I was also thinking of unagi - I had some recently at Zakkushi in Vancouver and was blown away.

But... I'm not really familiar with prepping or cooking/grilling unagi (apart from canned unagi I'll break out on occasion with rice for a quick lunch). Does anyone have any tips for making some great, flavorful grilled unagi skewers (or tsukune or yakitori)? Are there any decent shortcuts I can take since I'll probably be short on prep time with work + the tsukune?

For what it's worth I was planning on using this recipe for the sauce and tsukune (with chicken stock added per the comments on page 1) and just some pounded and cut chicken thighs for the chicken skewers/yakitori.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I just got a bento box for work, and was wondering if anyone had some good and quick bento recipes, as I don't want to do rice and leftovers 4 days a week.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
If you don't already know how to make tamagoyaki that's a good one to start with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PrwJxZfBH8

Shogayaki is another one that's easy to make and transports pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9CUm-2cui8

*edit*
I'd never watched her recipe before, this one is simpler and has turned out well for me:
https://en.cookpad.com/recipe/972019

Stringent fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 21, 2014

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I made maki! :buddy:

I live at a coop that's all vegetarian, but one of the really nice things we buy is junk from the local Asian store. We always have nori and a bunch of nice rolling mats, so I decided to pick up some sushi rice and veggies at the food coop in town. These guys are stuffed with carrots and mushrooms I sautéed in sesame oil, avocado, and Japanese mayo. Stoked they came out so well, this is only the third time I've ever made maki. The best tip I found was to make sure that your knife is wet when you cut the rolls so you don't crush them (which is what happened to the last roll I made).

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Philip Rivers posted:

I made maki! :buddy:

I live at a coop that's all vegetarian, but one of the really nice things we buy is junk from the local Asian store. We always have nori and a bunch of nice rolling mats, so I decided to pick up some sushi rice and veggies at the food coop in town. These guys are stuffed with carrots and mushrooms I sautéed in sesame oil, avocado, and Japanese mayo. Stoked they came out so well, this is only the third time I've ever made maki. The best tip I found was to make sure that your knife is wet when you cut the rolls so you don't crush them (which is what happened to the last roll I made).

It also helps to use a water/mirin/rice vinegar mix to wet your knife! :science:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

EVG posted:

Just checking to see if this is legit or a troll. Because it sounds kinda delicious, and kinda trashy at the same time.

Nah, Golden Curry is legit if you're brain-dead tired and can't face pizza again or something. Pretty tasty and zero effort.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Liquid Communism posted:

Nah, Golden Curry is legit if you're brain-dead tired and can't face pizza again or something. Pretty tasty and zero effort.

That's the most depressing thing I've ever read. I was about to order delivery but I guess I'll marinate this bun thit nuong meat now

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Made golden curry, loved it. Thanks, Japanese thread!

I'm dead tired right now, and wish I had ingredients to make it again.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Golden Curry is friggin' great. :colbert:

But for my money, Coco Curry is even better than any homemade curry ever.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Does anyone else cackle maniacally when they buy miso in a bag and squeeze it out into a storage container for the first time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRKjD29o9R4

numerrik posted:

I just got a bento box for work, and was wondering if anyone had some good and quick bento recipes, as I don't want to do rice and leftovers 4 days a week.

I own this book, and it's pretty good. It has way more than the 40 recipes they mention in that review -- most pages have at least three recipes, and some reference pages have six. In fact, it's the source of one of my go-to lazy Japanese recipes, which I made tonight (with the miso in the video :v:):

Spicy miso tofu with peppers and bok choi. The original recipe calls for fish cakes and pork, but my wife's vegetarian, and extra firm tofu works pretty well. It also takes about 15 minutes to make. Sometimes I use different vegetables, and sometimes I add fresh shiso if I have it in the garden.

For bento ideas, http://justbento.com/ has also been one of my go-tos for years. I believe she's published a recipe book or two now. That site's listed in the OP, as it should be.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Can you do anything with natto besides eat it over rice and natto jiru? Now that I'm over the smell/texture I'm interested in cooking with it, but those are the only ways I've seen it used.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Fooley posted:

Can you do anything with natto besides eat it over rice and natto jiru? Now that I'm over the smell/texture I'm interested in cooking with it, but those are the only ways I've seen it used.

Stuff it in aburaage, make tempura. It's good.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Fooley posted:

You can put in an omelet or mix it in with fried rice.

Also, I have read that adding some peanut butter into your Japanese curry roux will make it more Coco-ichi like. Haven't tried it though because peanut butter is expensive here.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Fooley posted:

Roll it in maki, eat with eggs/in an omelette, add it to your okinomiyaki.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

WaterIsPoison posted:

Taking a stab at the Serious Eats Food Lab Tonkotsu Ramen.

I'm trying this recipe this weekend! I'll post photos as I go along. How thoroughly did you scrape out the marrow out of curiosity?

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

himajinga posted:

I'm trying this recipe this weekend! I'll post photos as I go along. How thoroughly did you scrape out the marrow out of curiosity?

I wasn't able to get the trotters cut up by the butcher, so I couldn't get all of the marrow, but I did the best that I could. Probably why the broth turned out as dark as it did in the end.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

WaterIsPoison posted:

I wasn't able to get the trotters cut up by the butcher, so I couldn't get all of the marrow, but I did the best that I could. Probably why the broth turned out as dark as it did in the end.

Yeah, I have 2 choices basically, one place has them already split, but I think the place across town that doesn't have fat back has them whole and will bandsaw them so I might have to make two trips to get the broth to come out 100%... I have a feeling it'll be worth it. Any tips for seasoning the ramen at the end? J.KL-A mentions adding salt, miso, shoyu, etc. at the end but he never gives definite quantities...

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just saw this great video on how to behave in a traditional sushi store : http://youtu.be/eKChClRgI7c
But I don't understand the "Taisho" gag. Is that some kind of old meme?

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

tonberrytoby posted:

I just saw this great video on how to behave in a traditional sushi store : http://youtu.be/eKChClRgI7c
But I don't understand the "Taisho" gag. Is that some kind of old meme?

The taisho thing is what you might casually call the owner of the sushi place when you address him if you're familiar with him. The secret past thing is just an absurdist joke, much like most of the video.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 13, 2014

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Anyone ever try their hand at seitan? I'm making some so I have something I can stuff inside some onigiri. Any ideas about how I can do it up once I finish cooking it?

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
I asked about seitan in the Chinese thread here and got some good responses: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=50#post435699737 I tried the red-braising and it was really good.

I'd be interested to hear some other ways of cooking it too, I don't know what's done with it in Japanese cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Sweet crispy christ that Serious Eats tonkotsu broth is amazing. I finished it too late in the evening to make a meal out of it, but I did a tester based on the in-bowl seasoning mixture from NoRecipes and it might be the best ramen broth I've ever had (and I've had some really loving good ramen). I'm having a bowl for dinner tonight and I'll post pics of prep and final assembly with a full trip report afterward.