Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: VVVVVV yeah, I'll bet. I'm just saying, even with my old dinosaur it gets around well enough that I value the extra size enough to put up with the bulk. I'm getting a replacement at the next refresh cycle at the latest and really look forward to the lighter design.
Subjectively, I found it easier to organize things on a 13" retina than on a 15" low res.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

binarysmurf posted:

I'm waiting for next years's Retina iMac as my next upgrade. I would love to see Apple make the machine thicker and put a desktop class video card in there. Holding my breath, I am not.
What constitutes "desktop class" exactly? From specs and some tests the M295X is looking like a midrange desktop GPU, or high end if you compare to the Mac Pro's D700 (...granted that says more about the Mac Pro already being old there).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Got another 2013 11" Air coming, so I get to decide between that and my 13" Air again. Hopefully I end up with a 13" rMBP when it's all said and done.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Bob Morales posted:

Got another 2013 11" Air coming, so I get to decide between that and my 13" Air again. Hopefully I end up with a 13" rMBP when it's all said and done.

Just get a retina iMac and get it over with

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

wdarkk posted:

I'm guessing they were going to change the form factor, then for whatever reason didn't, but they'd already ordered a ton of the solder-on RAM.

Probably not, sockets are actually really expensive, and removing them probably saved Apple 5$+ on build of material costs.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
13" rMBP: obtained.
Ejaculation: commencing.

Seriously though, after 3+ years of using a 15" Dell Latitude, this thing could be one of the most beautiful things ever to rest on my lap after my wife, and the remote control. It's going to take me a little bit of time getting re-used to OSX after such a long absence but I can already feel myself getting back into the groove.

To the people who answered my questions: thanks for all your help! Definitely happy with this decision.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

japtor posted:

What constitutes "desktop class" exactly? From specs and some tests the M295X is looking like a midrange desktop GPU, or high end if you compare to the Mac Pro's D700 (...granted that says more about the Mac Pro already being old there).
He means the equivalent of the R290 rather than M295X.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
This is a question that sort of lies in a grey area between Mac software and Mac hardware. It has to do with Internet Recovery (which I think works mainly on 2011 ("Lion") and newer Macs).

My understanding with internet recovery is that it (either when it is called via COMMAND-OPTION-R or if your computer goes into recovery via COMMAND-R and it doesn't have a recovery partition (it's erased/trashed, or it's a brand new hard drive). When it does this, it phones home to Apple and downloads (and I'd assume overwrites if it's there already) the recovery partition.

If someone had a Mac that started it's life out with, say, Lion, but currently has Yosemite, and an internet recovery is performed, will it re-load the older Lion OS data for recovery, or would it download the newer Yosemite OS?

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.

nexxai posted:

13" rMBP: obtained.
Ejaculation: commencing.

Seriously though, after 3+ years of using a 15" Dell Latitude, this thing could be one of the most beautiful things ever to rest on my lap after my wife, and the remote control...

Hear hear.

I had one of my first experiences using Windows 8.1 today. Now I've used Windows 7 religiously, and there are interface things in Mac that I don't like but are tolerable, but this was a complete mess! I wonder how much market share that Apple got simply because people balked at Windows 8/8.1.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 25, 2014

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

This is a question that sort of lies in a grey area between Mac software and Mac hardware. It has to do with Internet Recovery (which I think works mainly on 2011 ("Lion") and newer Macs).

My understanding with internet recovery is that it (either when it is called via COMMAND-OPTION-R or if your computer goes into recovery via COMMAND-R and it doesn't have a recovery partition (it's erased/trashed, or it's a brand new hard drive). When it does this, it phones home to Apple and downloads (and I'd assume overwrites if it's there already) the recovery partition.

If someone had a Mac that started it's life out with, say, Lion, but currently has Yosemite, and an internet recovery is performed, will it re-load the older Lion OS data for recovery, or would it download the newer Yosemite OS?

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.

Hear hear.

I had one of my first experiences using Windows 8.1 today. Now I've used Windows 7 religiously, and there are interface things in Mac that I don't like but are tolerable, but this was a complete mess! I wonder how much market share that Apple got simply because people balked at Windows 8/8.1.

Internet recovery recovers what the system shipped with, because it's built into the firmware.

Recovery partition recovers the currently installed OS, because recovery partition is created during OS install/upgrade.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Kingnothing posted:

Internet recovery recovers what the system shipped with, because it's built into the firmware.

Recovery partition recovers the currently installed OS, because recovery partition is created during OS install/upgrade.

Ok, that makes sense (people would be pissed if they couldn't downgrade I guess) so what I'd have to do (for my system at least) is:

1. Download the OS X (Snow Leopard) restore
2. Download (via app store) OS X Yosemite
3. Put stuff back (from time machine or other backup)

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Three-Phase posted:

Yes, Windows 8.1 is a bit of a mess. Great ideas but executed poorly. Windows 10, on the other hand, looks *amazing*. They've taken the great pieces of 7 and 8.1 and meshed them into one of the most coherent Windows I've ever seen. Completely impressed.

10 is available as a Tech Preview. Parallels has it listed in the new VM wizard. Check it out!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

jink posted:

10 is available as a Tech Preview. Parallels has it listed in the new VM wizard. Check it out!
Well, if you insist. What better way to spend a Friday night?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
So has anyone lol'd at this yet?

Basically, ExtremeTech is claiming the new iMac only runs 5k at 30hz, because:

quote:

We’ve had an opportunity to see some demonstrations of gaming on the 27-inch iMac with 5K Retina display and can confirm that it’s a 30Hz panel when operating in 5K mode.

I seriously doubt this. First off, judging by a game where even an older title would struggle to run anywhere above 30fps at a native 5k is idiotic, but I can't see Apple actually shipping an iMac where the desktop runs at 30hz, it would be immediately obvious and be a non-starter for the majority of users (plus people have already given hands-on reports of how smoothly it runs Yosemite, at least for Radeon 295 model). Plus no way to proof a 60fps video you're editing? Really, 2 seconds of thought required here.

Awful tech site is awful.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Well, if you insist. What better way to spend a Friday night?
It can play .mkv's natively now, we know what you'll be doing

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I seriously doubt this. First off, judging by a game where even an older title would struggle to run anywhere above 30fps at a native 5k is idiotic, but I can't see Apple actually shipping an iMac where the desktop runs at 30hz, it would be immediately obvious and be a non-starter for the majority of users (plus people have already given hands-on reports of how smoothly it runs Yosemite, at least for Radeon 295 model). Plus no way to proof a 60fps video you're editing? Really, 2 seconds of thought required here.

Yeah, the site is completely full of poo poo:

Full size image is here (linked for huge since it's 23MB).

SwitchResX quite clearly shows that the monitor is running at 5120x2880 with a refresh of 59.993Hz. Incidentally, the picture doesn't do justice to how absurdly tiny the interface elements are on screen at that resolution.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Yeah, I think it was maybe Engadget that got their review up on the base model, showing competent performance with various games at various resolutions. Obviously playing a game at full 5k is going to be functionally impossible but scaled or windowed at 1080p or even 1440 should be fine. I think one review said that playing 7 movies at 1080p simultaneously didn't seem to prompt any noticeable performance loss.

And preliminary reviews that've tried editing native 4k have said positive things too.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Haha.

I'm posting from one and I can't believe that tbh.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

theadder posted:

Haha.

I'm posting from one and I can't believe that tbh.

how is it?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Wow, I cehcked out the retina imac in store today and mission control is basically a joke. The choppyness is obscene. There was either something really wrong with the imac or it's a product nowhere near ready for market.

The actual lcd panel is a sight to behold. It shits all over the NEC 4k display that was set up next to it.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 25, 2014

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

I didn't know it would allow me run at 3200*1800 through the regular System Preferences app. It's actually pretty usable. Text is a little on the small side in that resolution, but still good. Haven't set up any apps yet, but it's looking really good :).

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Immaculate.

It is the ultimate computer.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

To the people who said it's no good for games: GlQuake runs real nicely at 5k, but it makes the fans come on. I'll try some more games when I get a chance.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

flavor posted:

To the people who said it's no good for games: GlQuake runs real nicely at 5k, but it makes the fans come on. I'll try some more games when I get a chance.

Jesus. How does it look?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

Ok, that makes sense (people would be pissed if they couldn't downgrade I guess) so what I'd have to do (for my system at least) is:

1. Download the OS X (Snow Leopard) restore
2. Download (via app store) OS X Yosemite
3. Put stuff back (from time machine or other backup)

From what I recall all snow leopard machines came with install disks/install usb drives and not internet recovery.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bonobos posted:

Jesus. How does it look?

I'm gonna guess "like it's 1996 again". It's an old game, it doesn't have 5k textures and the art direction can best be described as "muddy colors, with occasional lava". But the edges of those giant polygons are sure gonna be sharp.

(GLQuake isn't very good for predicting how something modern will run)

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Reminds me when I installed my Diamond Monster 3dfx Voodoo card and ran GLQuake for the first time. I didn't know it was possible to achieve 1996 again.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Jedi Academy MIGHT run at 5k.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
If I get, say, a 256gb external SDD and install OS X (and windows) on it, and boot from it but run programs from the internal HDD, will still "feel" like an HDD system or will it feel like I have an internal SSD installed?

Still trying to fix my idiotic mistake of buying a 2013 imac with an HDD drive. I have a 256gb SSD drive I'm not doing anything with, so I'm trying to make it work with a thunderbolt enclosure or something. I can't take the slow bullshit of the HDD anymore,

Any help is much appreciated. Want to run out to frys sometime today.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

beergod posted:

If I get, say, a 256gb external SDD and install OS X (and windows) on it, and boot from it but run programs from the internal HDD, will still "feel" like an HDD system or will it feel like I have an internal SSD installed?

Still trying to fix my idiotic mistake of buying a 2013 imac with an HDD drive. I have a 256gb SSD drive I'm not doing anything with, so I'm trying to make it work with a thunderbolt enclosure or something. I can't take the slow bullshit of the HDD anymore,

Any help is much appreciated. Want to run out to frys sometime today.

With a thunderbolt enclosure, the drive will perform more or less exactly the same as it would internally. You'd probably do well to install your apps on the SSD instead of the HDD, and just use the HDD for media storage or whatever.

I don't know how well a TB drive will work for booting Windows. You probably want to do some searching and find out if other people have experiences to share.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

BobHoward posted:

I'm gonna guess "like it's 1996 again". It's an old game, it doesn't have 5k textures and the art direction can best be described as "muddy colors, with occasional lava". But the edges of those giant polygons are sure gonna be sharp.

(GLQuake isn't very good for predicting how something modern will run)

Very astute observation :tipshat:. Without it, I'd have called it a day after looking at Quake and used it to predict the performance of more modern games, but instead I went back and took a look at a few more games as time permitted.

Some games run at the full resolution, and pretty well at that (Half-Life 1 and 2). Other games can't be set to the full resolution (PrBoom (a Doom port), Team Fortress 2), but also run well at the resolution they can be set to from their respective GUIs (TF2 does 3200*1800).

Mercurius posted:

he plays Diablo 3 a lot so we tested that today and it runs very poorly at 5K on medium settings (like, sub 20FPS with nothing happening on screen).

I played it for a few minutes or so, and it was definitely playable in town. I'll try some battles in a bit, didn't get the time before.

Bonobos posted:

Jesus. How does it look?

Good. The higher the resolution, the tinier the menu.

So far I'd say that while this isn't a gaming PC, it's certainly decent and I haven't even tried Windows yet.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Kingnothing posted:

From what I recall all snow leopard machines came with install disks/install usb drives and not internet recovery.

My 2012 Mac Mini has it... or maybe that was because it flashed firmware when I went to Mavericks? :shrug:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

My 2012 Mac Mini has it... or maybe that was because it flashed firmware when I went to Mavericks? :shrug:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4904

Later machines already came with it (after early 2011 I'd think).

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
OS X has no copy protection, so you should just get whatever version you need by whatever means are available. Some AASPs will even just install the version you need onto your Mac if you ask nicely.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm thinking of getting a 13-inch Pro (software development will be the most demanding use) and I have a few questions:

1) Anyone use it to drive two 1080p monitors? How's the performance?

2) Is 16GB essential? I know you can't upgrade, but I'd prefer to buy the laptop in a store and take it home rather than have it shipped to my apartment, and all the models have 8GB. It costs about the same whether I do 16/256 or 8/512 and I'm leaning toward the latter for those minor reasons.

Seems like a great computer no matter the configuration, though.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Mercurius posted:

I don't really play games on the Mac and I haven't got hearthstone to test with but one of my colleagues is looking at buying a retina iMac and he plays Diablo 3 a lot so we tested that today and it runs very poorly at 5K on medium settings (like, sub 20FPS with nothing happening on screen). That said, you should seriously consider running your games at 2560x1440 because it'll look identical to an existing 27" screen and the M295X is marginally faster than the previous GPUs the iMacs had so you'll see a mild performance improvement over previous models.

Essentially, high settings at 1080p or medium-high settings on 1440p should be perfectly fine on the new retina iMacs, just don't expect even light gaming at 5K. You already need top of the line desktop graphics cards to do 4K on the PC side of things so 5K with a mobile chipset was never really likely to work.

I had a completely different experience. D3 is actually very playable at 5k. I didn't have everything maxed out (will try that later today), but I used medium to high settings with reflections and subjectively I'd say it was at least around 30 FPS and better than my late 2013 15" rMBP at 2560x1440 (with the Nvidia 750M). Maybe I'm overestimating the FPS, but in any event I didn't notice any immersion-breaking choppiness. This is on the M295X.

Did you by any chance have anything major running in the background?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

carry on then posted:

I'm thinking of getting a 13-inch Pro (software development will be the most demanding use) and I have a few questions:

1) Anyone use it to drive two 1080p monitors? How's the performance?

2) Is 16GB essential? I know you can't upgrade, but I'd prefer to buy the laptop in a store and take it home rather than have it shipped to my apartment, and all the models have 8GB. It costs about the same whether I do 16/256 or 8/512 and I'm leaning toward the latter for those minor reasons.

Seems like a great computer no matter the configuration, though.

1) I've used mine to drive the internal monitor AND a 1080p monitor and the performance is... well... let's just say that if you don't do a lot of window animation or whatever then you should be OK but if you're going to be sliding spaces around then ehh. It'll work but it won't break any records for amazing-ness.

2) Depending entirely on the software development you plan to do. 16 isn't essential but IMHO Xcode likes to eat memory (as do a lot of things on OSX). I use mine to run VMware Fusion + Visual Studio 2013 so for me 16 was crucial. If you plan to keep it around for a while I would honestly recommend the 16. The SSD is upgradeable after the fact, the RAM isn't. The upside is that swapping to SSD won't be an absolute disaster, but it still won't be as nice as not swapping in the first place.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Martytoof posted:

1) I've used mine to drive the internal monitor AND a 1080p monitor and the performance is... well... let's just say that if you don't do a lot of window animation or whatever then you should be OK but if you're going to be sliding spaces around then ehh. It'll work but it won't break any records for amazing-ness.

That's too bad. I was hoping the Iris graphics would be sufficient. Although, I'd probably think it was great performance after seeing my poor 320M trying to do almost the same thing.

quote:

2) Depending entirely on the software development you plan to do. 16 isn't essential but IMHO Xcode likes to eat memory (as do a lot of things on OSX). I use mine to run VMware Fusion + Visual Studio 2013 so for me 16 was crucial. If you plan to keep it around for a while I would honestly recommend the 16. The SSD is upgradeable after the fact, the RAM isn't. The upside is that swapping to SSD won't be an absolute disaster, but it still won't be as nice as not swapping in the first place.

Yeah, it'll be Xcode and related tools and even then not that big since this is going to be a hobby for me, although I probably won't be needing the simulator. For more power/non-Mac software I have a desktop, mostly I'm just tired of keeping this Hackintosh install going for learning iOS dev, as easy as it was to set up.

Thanks for the info.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I did Xcode and java stuff in Eclipse a lot last semester on 8gigs with a late 2013 13' rmbp and was ok.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

carry on then posted:

I'd prefer to buy the laptop in a store and take it home rather than have it shipped to my apartment...
You can have Apple ship it to your local retail Apple store and you can pick it up there if you don't want it shipped directly to your apartment.

I would recommend having the maximum amount of ram. Especially if you can't upgrade it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I'm pretty sure this was discussed recently but i couldn't find itin the last couple of pages. Anyway, does anyone know if the newest mini is simple to turn into a fusion drive? Does the warranty get voided when opened? I know that the ram is a bitch to upgrade.