Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The guide for Dragon Quest 8 was the worst guide I ever spent money on. Like, it didn't even tell you if a boss was coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
ok, if anyone cares there's a publicly viewable copy of

uploaded here

it's really, really terrible. i don't even know if they used an english copy of the game when writing this.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

ok, if anyone cares there's a publicly viewable copy of

uploaded here

it's really, really terrible. i don't even know if they used an english copy of the game when writing this.
I don't think so, they call Ragnarok "Ragunia Lock" and the Rune Blade is "Loom Blade"

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Endorph posted:

i think hes talking about how the espers didnt want maduin and that human lady to gently caress and make terra

maybe

i dont think anyone ever said 'kill the baby' though
It is about the two teenage kids in Mobliz.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

FactsAreUseless posted:

FINAL BOSS: Exdeath
HP - ???
He has two forms (duh.). You should be familiar with them because you should
have beaten this game before. Just attack and heal. Use your brain and think
about different strategies, Golem helps. A lot. There aren't too many things
you can do. Attack and pray that you can win.

dude did you get his permission to post this?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

It is about the two teenage kids in Mobliz.
people talked to the npcs in final fantasy 6?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

klapman posted:

dude did you get his permission to post this?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

i had this game and this strategy guide

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I clicked this thread to say brady games, and gently caress it being posted before I'm still doing it.

Brady. Games.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

surc posted:

I clicked this thread to say brady games, and gently caress it being posted before I'm still doing it.

Brady. Games.
the donkey kong country guide was uniquely terrible because it contained no maps and was instead narrated by some douchebag. it was a proto-Let's Play

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I still own that guide because I tried to turn it in at a gamestop and they wanted me to pay them for it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

did Brady Games make any other guides like that? i had a bunch of other Brady Games guides that were more like traditional (albeit bad) players' guides

man that DKC guide was '90s as gently caress

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

FINAL BOSS: Exdeath
HP - ???
He has two forms (duh.). You should be familiar with them because you should
have beaten this game before. Just attack and heal. Use your brain and think
about different strategies, Golem helps. A lot. There aren't too many things
you can do. Attack and pray that you can win.

thanks

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if your first reaction to seeing this isn't "tear it into 100,000 pieces" then it's the wrong reaction. it's even worse inside

surc
Aug 17, 2004

My friend bought this one before I could stop him :(

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is that glenn beck

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

surc posted:

My friend bought this one before I could stop him :(
i had this one too. it was also a lovely guide with no maps, but thankfully it didn't have that '90s bro in it at all

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

i had this one too. it was also a lovely guide with no maps, but thankfully it didn't have that '90s bro in it at all

but the cover art :stare:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

but the cover art :stare:
a monkey's rear end is an improvement over that '90s as gently caress douchebag imo

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I do admire the balls it takes to try to spin "we won't endorse your lovely guide" into "HIDDEN SECRETS THE MAN DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW, STRAIGHT FROM THE UBERPROS IN THIS DUDE'S BASEMENT"

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

the mass effect 2 strategy guide gave your wrong instructions on how to save everyone during the suicide mission. RIP to those who died.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

My cousin printed out a GameFAQs guide for Star Fox Adventures on blue paper back in the day, it was like 50 pages or something dumb.

I still think that's the most ghetto thing I've ever seen.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

woofbro posted:

My cousin printed out a GameFAQs guide for Star Fox Adventures on blue paper back in the day, it was like 50 pages or something dumb.

I still think that's the most ghetto thing I've ever seen.

I had two physical folders of cheat codes I had compiled in a Word document off the internet (Cheat Code Central and the like) and printed out. One folder was all light blue paper, and was SNES codes. The other folder was assorted colors, and was SEGA Genesis codes.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

the mass effect 2 strategy guide gave your wrong instructions on how to save everyone during the suicide mission. RIP to those who died.
this is esp. funny because apart from sending back the wrong squaddie with the collector base rescuees it's not difficult at all to know who to assign to each task

i guess some players might unknowingly gently caress up earlier by not getting all the ship upgrades but tbh there's no good reason not to get them sooooo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

the only people alive for me at the end of that poo poo were grunt and legion

the only people that mattered tbh

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Sombrerotron posted:

this is esp. funny because apart from sending back the wrong squaddie with the collector base rescuees it's not difficult at all to know who to assign to each task

i guess some players might unknowingly gently caress up earlier by not getting all the ship upgrades but tbh there's no good reason not to get them sooooo

The game even tells you who to put in each role... tech person to do tech, psionic power to do psionic... I guess it doesnt explicitly say "put a good tactical warrior leading the defense role" or whatever but that should have been obvious too

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

my roommate has the WoW strategy guide from when vanilla launched. i'm pretty sure it was out of date when the game launched

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Ferroque posted:

my roommate has the WoW strategy guide from when vanilla launched. i'm pretty sure it was out of date when the game launched

If it's the same one I'm thinking of one of my friends had it and it contains a bunch of Penny Arcade comics. I made fun of him for owning it.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

DSimpson wrote some pretty awesome gamefaqs guides. I remember having an ff7 guide with a ton of speculation about how you might revive aerith

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Benny D posted:

DSimpson wrote some pretty awesome gamefaqs guides. I remember having an ff7 guide with a ton of speculation about how you might revive aerith

Oh poo poo yeah. i remember that guy's name because his guide for BG2 was so in-depth

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Benny D posted:

i used his baldur's gate guides, which were very comprehensive, but the one for bg1 was kind of terrible for not recommending new players to beeline it to beregost, rob algernon of his cloak, and then go through the game continuously dire-charming enemies

luckily i more or less coincidentally found out about that myself on my first playthrough

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Silver Striker posted:

If it's the same one I'm thinking of one of my friends had it and it contains a bunch of Penny Arcade comics. I made fun of him for owning it.

yep that's the one, i distinctly remember the unfunny comics

i have a morbid curiosity to read it now

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Ferroque posted:

yep that's the one, i distinctly remember the unfunny comics

i have a morbid curiosity to read it now

whats with your avatar

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

a goon in texas wanted to mail me a brick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mach2 posted:

I had two physical folders of cheat codes I had compiled in a Word document off the internet (Cheat Code Central and the like) and printed out. One folder was all light blue paper, and was SNES codes. The other folder was assorted colors, and was SEGA Genesis codes.
were they manila folders

if they were, that's a cool shoutout to the old Nintendo Power Classified Information section, even if it was unintentional

• Locked thread