Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
So the pale blue locations are owned by a faction, yellow are unowned, and dark blue are main bases...? I'm kind of lost as to what some of this stuff means. I did manage to wipe out Clear Sky in the swamps though, they have Zero faction strength so that's one faction out of the way. Freedom got taken out too but I'm not sure by who.

I'm kind of worried since the Bandits have something like 110 members and Defiance is only 55 :ohdear:

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Basically it works like this:

Light blue are faction bases. Controlling these points will severely weaken the faction, if not outright annihilate them (apart from token resistance now and then)

Dark blue/purpley are resource points. These are rather important as they reinforce your bases defenses, allow more stalker squads to exist, and upgrade the equipment sold by your traders.

Yellow are just generic points.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I thought the light blue ones are the ones that allow more squads to exist, and purple just upgrades the squads.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Ddraig posted:

Basically it works like this:

Light blue are faction bases. Controlling these points will severely weaken the faction, if not outright annihilate them (apart from token resistance now and then)

Dark blue/purpley are resource points. These are rather important as they reinforce your bases defenses, allow more stalker squads to exist, and upgrade the equipment sold by your traders.

Yellow are just generic points.

Oh, thanks! I was thinking it was like painting the map with your colors, where you'd make the yellow points blue by controlling them for a while.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Gotta catch them all!

I've come to an impasse, though, as I'm pushing on the last squad base (dark valley) and literally all my squads (all 58 of them) are deployed in the Zone keeping the rabble unroused.

I now have to pretty much micromanage squads by looking at the map and figuring out where the safest areas are and divert unnecessary squads to the dark valley.

Victory shall be mine.

Still haven't got the loving loners to like me enough to tell me where the good loot and PDA man are, though. Gonna have to make do with this:

Durad's got a bit of a drinking problem since he keeps getting reamed by chimeras.

I also think Svarog is giving his blessings on my timely conquest:

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'd always imagine the emissions to actually be a pretty beautiful sight. The borealis-like effect seen in that picture is what I'm talkin bout!

\/ I thought that mod with the ability to throw artifacts to spawn an anomaly was pretty cool...

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 18, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Once I figure out how artifacts in TFW work I'm going to see if I can back port some from the Stalker Artifact Pack.

Here's some renders:

http://imgur.com/a/JcuIg

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Ddraig posted:

Still haven't got the loving loners to like me enough to tell me where the good loot and PDA man are, though.

PDA man is pretty garbage, 10 PDAs just gets you a random stash location and I never managed to find 20 of the same faction naturally and gently caress farming PDAs. The only thing is you can sell them for 200 rb apiece

Is there any endgame to TFW? Starting with Clear Sky, I have captured all the bases, all that's left is the two resource points in Red Forest controlled by Freedom. Every other faction is dead aside from Loners because you aren't allowed to take those fuckers out. I see that Pripyat has territory points so if I can take my faction up against Monolith I might keep going, otherwise I'm going to start again as Bandits or Mercs. Everything is a cakewalk now with my CS Exo-equivalent with +40kg carry weight and sprinting and my two SEVA suited companions with SVDs

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

Adding new levels is a pain in the rear end because if the game graphs don't align up properly then it can seriously screw with things.

I have found a project called "Levels Rebirth" though, which as far as I can tell is just a very minor thing where they have gone through various levels and added more details into it. It only affects the geometry and objects, so all the spawns will work properly.

Right now the only two that are 'done' are Cordon and the Swamps.

Yeah, I figured that it would be quite a feat.

Thanks for the update, my only mentionable thing is the areas you can send your guy to attack don't match to the names of places, at least in garbage, on the pda map, I'll have a look around elsewhere.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah, that's a known issue I'm afraid. I figure the easiest solution would be to revert the names back to default Clear Sky. I guess they decided that since the Zone is 'fluid' now there's no predefined bases so the old names (Duty base) etc. were misleading.

I figure it would make more sense to put them back since even though anyone can take over anything, there would still be places that are known as the Duty base etc because that's how people operate.

As for endgame, maybe I can make it so once you 'beat' the faction war, Military/Monolith spawns will vastly increase so now you have to protect things.

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shot in the dark here, but I installed Misery on COP and futzed around in the video settings and it gave me an error that said "Your video card doesn't meet the specs, try lowering the settings" and automatically closed the game. So I opened it back up in order to do that, but it just gives me the same error as soon as the game runs; I can't even get into the menu to change anything. Is there a config file where I can set SSAO and AA etc to low? Thanks.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

SuitDude posted:

Shot in the dark here, but I installed Misery on COP and futzed around in the video settings and it gave me an error that said "Your video card doesn't meet the specs, try lowering the settings" and automatically closed the game. So I opened it back up in order to do that, but it just gives me the same error as soon as the game runs; I can't even get into the menu to change anything. Is there a config file where I can set SSAO and AA etc to low? Thanks.

Check your COP folder for "appdata"

This containers user.ltx which is the config file for all your game settings.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Ddraig posted:

As for endgame, maybe I can make it so once you 'beat' the faction war, Military/Monolith spawns will vastly increase so now you have to protect things.

Maybe make a objective to talk to your faction leader after each other faction is eliminated that starts the endgame, informing the player that the military and monolith have 'noticed' their activities and are now attempting to drive them out

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ddraig posted:

Check your COP folder for "appdata"

This containers user.ltx which is the config file for all your game settings.

Awesome dude thanks a ton. One other thing, if you don't mind. Do you know if there's a mirror for the modified lua.JIT.1.1.4.dll listed in the OP? I've been noticing a lot of small jittering so I'd like to try it out, but it seems like this one's been set to private.

edit: Nevermind, I found it on page 25 of this thread.

Hyphen-B fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 19, 2014

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anybody else have an issue with the cooking and artifact handling mechanics not functioning properly in Misery? I have a multi-fuel stove, kerosene, and lots of cookable meat, but when I right click->use the stove and the menu pops up, none of the meat is listed in the ingredients tab. Same with handling artifacts: I have a container and an artifact, but when I use the tongs and the menu comes up, neither the artifact or the container are listed in the appropriate windows. Thanks in advance.

e: Alright, I'm just dumb. I figured out the cooking. I just have to select a fuel first, then it will show usable ingredients. Still haven't figured out the artifact handling, though.

Hyphen-B fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 20, 2014

The1DevoidoName
Dec 3, 2004
A blackgaurd whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.
Is anyone else having problems sending squads in TFW? I used DDraig's install and patch, but when I keep trying to send people to the southern farmstead, they keep getting stuck at the nearest point next to it.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Call a local squad and they should come running. If you mouse over the dot on the map you can get the squads ID, and then go to Settings->Squads on the radio menu to call them to a point of your choosing.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They can also take a long rear end time. If they seem to be stuck (assuming you're not calling a local squad) then wait/sleep for a few hours and they should get moving again.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
DDraig, in TFW, what script(s) determine when an NPC tells you to gently caress off if you loot a body of a squadmate? Asking you because you know a lot about scripts and have experience with TFW.

Also, I noticed that TFW has a new "best weapon" switching system. Have you or anyone else noticed it working? Like do NPC's use pistols sometimes, or different weapons when attacking helicopters?
I just want to make sure it works before I attempt to port it to COP.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
For the item looting, it is split between tfw_actor_inventory.script and watcher_act.script

watcher_act.script is a pretty standard SoC script that a lot of mods use. TFW has modified it quite a bit so that npcs will claim certain corpses. tfw_actor_inventory.script is what controls if the player 'owns' a corpse (i.e. has looted it before someone else lays claim to it)

As for the best weapons, I have no idea if it's working or not. I guess it could be working so well that you don't notice it working, or just not working at all. Sorry I can't be more help :(

e: One very noteworthy thing TFW does, that I think a LOT more mods should do, is stuck inside the rather innocuous looking level_weathers.script

What it basically does is read the weather configs, then determines the maximum visual range based on the fog_plane setting. It will then modify NPC vison ranges/FOV based on that. This is something I attempted to do myself with varying degrees of success (OGSE and a few other mods, like SGM also attempt it). TFW probably has the most elegant solution of the lot I can't really believe nobody thought of it before.

The way it's implemented should mean it will work with ANY weather mod that uses heavy fog to obscure vision. I know Atmosfear in all its iterations uses it quite extensively, and the player can't see for poo poo so it's nice that NPCs won't be able to either.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 22, 2014

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Swartz posted:

Also, I noticed that TFW has a new "best weapon" switching system. Have you or anyone else noticed it working? Like do NPC's use pistols sometimes, or different weapons when attacking helicopters?
I just want to make sure it works before I attempt to port it to COP.

I noticed my Mosin equipped squadmates using their shotgun and submachine gun secondaries when the fights were close ranged, but i didn't really pay attention to the triggers for the switching though.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
The readme notes (and my experience playing on Mercs verifies) that they'll use shotguns against mutants. Always have your sidekick carry one, and a couple dozen shells of buckshot as well. They'll also sometimes switch to SMGs at close range. I typically have my sidekick armed with a full-sized AR (in a different caliber than whatever I'm using) upgraded all the way for accuracy, flatness, and damage at the expense of ROF, with a scope, suppressor, and GL (not that they can use the GL). I've seen him switch over to an AKSU upgraded fully for rate of fire, at short range. I have no idea why this happens -- after the battle I checked to make sure he wasn't out of ammo for the primary, and nope. There were 400+ rounds left. The only reason he had it was to take the weight off of me, I was never expecting him to use it. I took it back, and my sidekick managed to pick up one of the UMP-45's of a dead merc at some point, but I don't recall him using it as he didn't pick up any ammo. :iiam:

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

For the item looting, it is split between tfw_actor_inventory.script and watcher_act.script

watcher_act.script is a pretty standard SoC script that a lot of mods use. TFW has modified it quite a bit so that npcs will claim certain corpses. tfw_actor_inventory.script is what controls if the player 'owns' a corpse (i.e. has looted it before someone else lays claim to it)

As for the best weapons, I have no idea if it's working or not. I guess it could be working so well that you don't notice it working, or just not working at all. Sorry I can't be more help :(

e: One very noteworthy thing TFW does, that I think a LOT more mods should do, is stuck inside the rather innocuous looking level_weathers.script

What it basically does is read the weather configs, then determines the maximum visual range based on the fog_plane setting. It will then modify NPC vison ranges/FOV based on that. This is something I attempted to do myself with varying degrees of success (OGSE and a few other mods, like SGM also attempt it). TFW probably has the most elegant solution of the lot I can't really believe nobody thought of it before.

The way it's implemented should mean it will work with ANY weather mod that uses heavy fog to obscure vision. I know Atmosfear in all its iterations uses it quite extensively, and the player can't see for poo poo so it's nice that NPCs won't be able to either.

Thanks.

Now I have a request.

I tried to merge the best weapon system (as it was confirmed as working by you guys above, thanks!), but I get the following error now upon starting the game in COP:

quote:

FATAL ERROR

[error]Expression : !m_error_code
[error]Function : raii_guard::~raii_guard
[error]File : ..\xrServerEntities\script_storage.cpp
[error]Line : 748
[error]Description : ...ll of pripyat\gamedata\scripts\state_mgr_goap.script:97: attempt to index global 'state_mgr_weapon' (a nil value)

Could I ask you to look at my scripts and tell me how I screwed it up? I'd really appreciate it if you could find the time.
I've uploaded them here: https://www.mediafire.com/?hvxbkxgljj1kz3j
As you can see I got a little lazy and just threw the mentioned TFW scripts in there rather than commenting out the functions that pertain to them, though I don't think that's what caused the crash.

I'll merge in the changes you mentioned into Atmosfear's level_weathers.script (or since I'm using the source maybe I can correct the AI configs to properly detect the fog functions it mentions).

Also I managed to isolate only Alundaio's random weapon loadouts and nothing else of his AI stuff (since it's prone to crashes) if you have any interest in using that (I can send the configs for it).

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
One thing I can see that looks a little odd is on line 142-143 in the state_weapon_mgr.script which is this:

code:
	return 	self.object:weapon_unstrapped() and	
	return  active_item ~= nil and
The second 'return' is possibly redundant and may be interfering with the correct operation of the script. I can't really see any other glaring errors.

I've had entire scripts gently caress up spectacularly because I put 'kocal' instead of 'local' etc.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

One thing I can see that looks a little odd is on line 142-143 in the state_weapon_mgr.script which is this:

code:
	return 	self.object:weapon_unstrapped() and	
	return  active_item ~= nil and
The second 'return' is possibly redundant and may be interfering with the correct operation of the script. I can't really see any other glaring errors.

I've had entire scripts gently caress up spectacularly because I put 'kocal' instead of 'local' etc.

That was it, thanks! :)

Now hopefully I can merge in tfw_actor_inventory.script and watcher_act.script without loving up :downs:

Also another problem in that scripts folder: utils.script included will cause the game to crash due to a missing function that vanilla has. Needs to be merged with vanilla script for COP.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
So I've been playing some TFW, and I'm trying to gain favour with the bandits here, but I cancelled a mission by the shopkeeper that sent me all the way to the Swamps just to kill a Clear Sky boss for a pittance. But then I ran out of things to do for the bandits, do the shopkeeper's jobs regenerate or does he have no more jobs for you once you complete all 3 of his available jobs? Currently I'm trying to gain favours by talking to squad leaders but finding a squad leader that needs me is getting quite tedious.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They respawn once a day. Don't sweat it.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY

Ddraig posted:

They respawn once a day. Don't sweat it.

And so they do, thanks a lot!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Somehow COP works on my GF's lovely laptop, and even with everything set to low (getting a decent framerate) poking round Jupiter is still a terrifying experience. On my main PC (quad core 3.5ghz, 8 gig RAM, HD7850) I am playing with just Complete installed, and have played the first part of the game many times, so I was wondering what (if any) story/mission mods are good? Gonna also reinstall SOC which I never got too far in- any decent recommendations for that too? I have read the OP but I know these games have a pretty active mod scene so what would you guys deem 'essential'?

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 24, 2014

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

Uhm, is there a way to disable the helmet overlays for TFW? Because it looks like helmets are sort of "hacked in" here so I have no idea where to look for the helmet overlay files in the gamedata folder.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Somehow COP works on my GF's lovely laptop, and even with everything set to low (getting a decent framerate) poking round Jupiter is still a terrifying experience. On my main PC (quad core 3.5ghz, 8 gig RAM, HD7850) I am playing with just Complete installed, and have played the first part of the game many times, so I was wondering what (if any) story/mission mods are good? Gonna also reinstall SOC which I never got too far in- any decent recommendations for that too? I have read the OP but I know these games have a pretty active mod scene so what would you guys deem 'essential'?

You can try downloading Lost Alpha, which is apparently pretty stable now.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Justin Time! posted:

Uhm, is there a way to disable the helmet overlays for TFW? Because it looks like helmets are sort of "hacked in" here so I have no idea where to look for the helmet overlay files in the gamedata folder.

You can try downloading Lost Alpha, which is apparently pretty stable now.

Do you mean the "make it look like you're looking through the goggles of the helmet" thing? It's a selectable option in the TFW options menu.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'd been eyeing up Lost Alpha actually. Would it be an idea to play SOC through first to appreciate it or just dive right in? How is SGM 2.2 for COP as that looks really interesting too?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'd been eyeing up Lost Alpha actually. Would it be an idea to play SOC through first to appreciate it or just dive right in? How is SGM 2.2 for COP as that looks really interesting too?

I'd jump into Lost Alpha first, it'll make ShoC seem a lot more ... streamlined.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Cool, thanks for the advice. I'm guessing it's fairly stable by now?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Wait, so is TFW available for Call of Pripyat?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
It's Clear Sky specific.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'm guessing it's fairly stable by now?

It's decent. It's still being developed as far as I know, but to the extent of adding new things and fixing little things.

I cannot stress this enough. IT'S FREE!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

NeoSeeker posted:

I cannot stress this enough. IT'S FREE!

It's insane really isn't it, will install when I get home. Thanks again for the advice guys.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
SGM 2.2 is fun and adds a ton of quests and some new areas to the game but a few of them are annoyingly broken. If you enjoy a difficult stalker experience I would recommend Ddraig's patched version of Misery. Its a cool mod that makes the world feel really awesome but it gives you lots of little fiddly bits that can get annoying but with the bugs fixed its a decent game.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I wouldn't recommend my Misery addon. It's got a few crashes that I can't force myself to fix because, ironically, working on misery is one of the most depressing experiences of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

Leif. posted:

Do you mean the "make it look like you're looking through the goggles of the helmet" thing? It's a selectable option in the TFW options menu.

Oh, I feel dumb, thanks!

Edit: Uh, as a bandit, am I not allowed to enter the Depot anymore? Loners are fine with me but it seems like the people guarding the Depot are shooting me on sight.

Robert Red Rocket fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 25, 2014