Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

What is even happening in this video? Is it two half naked men fighting each other with a car and a gate?

I believe the one on the outside of the car is a woman. I suspect we are seeing a lovers quarrel...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

nm posted:

Californians moved to Bend?

Oh yeah. Look at Bend's population growth over the last 20 years.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Easy test to determine if you are ready to drive through the winter in a state that regularly sees snow/ice on the road.

Do you have winter tires on your car? No? Then you are not operating your vehicle with the care and caution that it is due, it is not properly equipped for the conditions, and you are probably a terrible driver.

Some terrible drivers will have snow tires, but they really should be mandatory and only about 5% of the population here (in a state that has 6 months of brutal winter) has them.

Its actually mandatory to have winter tires on your car in quebec december through march or something like that. Which they had a law like that here in Alberta as it would instantly take all lovely cars running bald all seasons off the road.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

XK posted:

I didn't even realize he managed to flip the car over
Nor did I :stare:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Its actually mandatory to have winter tires on your car in quebec december through march or something like that. Which they had a law like that here in Alberta as it would instantly take all lovely cars running bald all seasons off the road.

As soon as you talk about making it mandatory, people in Alberta suddenly start caring about minimum wage earners.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I believe the one on the outside of the car is a woman. I suspect we are seeing a lovers quarrel...

I interpreted it as a couple drunk/tripping idiots trying to steal a car.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SyHopeful posted:

Oh yeah. Look at Bend's population growth over the last 20 years.

Still nothing there anyway.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

freelop posted:

More of a mechanical success from the point of the view of the gate

Meth is a hell of a drug.

I say this as a former meth user.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Shifty Nipples posted:

Still nothing there anyway.

Except world class sports climbing right up the road!

Edit: Oh crap, thought I was in the GenChat thread. OK, there was a bit of a weird mechanical failure near my house last night. I woke up to three Smart cars, neatly parked in a row, all burned down. The FD report verified it. I've never seen them parked here before, there's a new Zipcar(?) like service in town.

They'd been towed this afternoon when I got home. I would love to know who would have any interest torching three smart cars in the middle of Copenhagen...

bolind fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 23, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

1500quidporsche posted:

So they could run bald winters instead?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

freelop posted:

More of a mechanical success from the point of the view of the gate

If you're just going to repost poo poo from reddit, at least post the explanation:

http://www.visir.is/flips-car-in-parking-garage/article/2014141029556

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
In response to all the gently caress You pictures of Broken off extractors, an oldie, but goodie:

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

MECHANIC'S KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on boxes containing seats and motorcycle jackets.

ELECTRIC HAND DRILL: Normally used for spinning steel Pop rivets in their holes until you die of old age, but it also works great for drilling mounting holes in fenders just above the brake line that goes to the rear wheel.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board
principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Used to round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETELENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your garage on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside a hub you're trying to get the bearing race out of.

WHITWORTH SOCKETS: Once used for working on older British cars and motorcycles, they are now used mainly for impersonating that 9/16 or 1/2 socket you've been searching for the last 15 minutes.

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, splattering it against that freshly painted part you were drying.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans rust off old bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprint whorls and hard-earned guitar calluses in about the time it takes you to say, "Ouc...."

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering your car to the ground after you have installed your new front disk brake setup, trapping the jack handle firmly under the front fender.

EIGHT-FOOT LONG DOUGLAS FIR 2X4: Used for levering the fender upward off a hydraulic jack.

TWEEZERS: A tool for removing wood splinters.

PHONE: Tool for calling your neighbor to see if he has another hydraulic floor jack.

SNAP-ON GASKET SCRAPER: Theoretically useful as a sandwich tool for spreading mayonnaise; used mainly for getting dog-**** off your boot.

E-Z OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR: A tool that snaps off in bolt holes and is ten times harder than any known drill bit.

TIMING LIGHT: A stroboscopic instrument for illuminating grease buildup.

TWO-TON HYDRAULIC ENGINE HOIST: A handy tool for testing the tensile strength of ground straps and fuel lines you may have forgotten to disconnect.

CRAFTSMAN 1/2 x 16-INCH SCREWDRIVER: A large motor mount prying tool that has an accurately machined screwdriver tip on the end without the handle.

BATTERY ELECTROLYTE TESTER: A handy tool for transferring sulfuric acid from a car battery to the inside of your toolbox after determining that your battery is dead as a doornail, just as you thought.

AVIATION METAL SNIPS: See hacksaw.

TROUBLE LIGHT: The mechanic's own tanning booth. Sometimes called a drop light, it is a good source of vitamin D, "the sunshine vitamin," which is not otherwise found under race cars at night. Health benefits aside, it's main purpose is to consume 40-watt light bulbs at about the same rate as a 25mm chain gun.
More often dark than light, its name is somewhat misleading.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the lids of old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splash oil on your shirt; can also be used, as the name implies, to round off Phillips screw heads.

AIR COMPRESSOR: A machine that takes energy produced in a coal-burning power plant 200 miles away and transforms it into compressed air that travels by hose to a Chicago Pneumatic impact wrench that grips rusty bolts last tightened 40 years ago by someone in Detriot and rounds them off.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to cut hoses 1/2 inch too short.

12MM WRENCH: A tool that comes in handy when you need to weld a brace between the positive terminal on your alternator and the engine block, when you forget to disconnect the battery.

SPIRO LOCK: A spring like, tightly wound, carbon steel retainer used primarily to gouge forged pistons. Alternatively, the tool of choice for administering multiple fingertip lacerations.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 23, 2014

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Farking Bastage posted:

In response to all the gently caress You pictures of Broken off extractors, an oldie, but goodie:

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

MECHANIC'S KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on boxes containing seats and motorcycle jackets.

ELECTRIC HAND DRILL: Normally used for spinning steel Pop rivets in their holes until you die of old age, but it also works great for drilling mounting holes in fenders just above the brake line that goes to the rear wheel.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board
principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Used to round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETELENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your garage on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside a hub you're trying to get the bearing race out of.

WHITWORTH SOCKETS: Once used for working on older British cars and motorcycles, they are now used mainly for impersonating that 9/16 or 1/2 socket you've been searching for the last 15 minutes.

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, splattering it against that freshly painted part you were drying.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans rust off old bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprint whorls and hard-earned guitar calluses in about the time it takes you to say, "Ouc...."

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering your car to the ground after you have installed your new front disk brake setup, trapping the jack handle firmly under the front fender.

EIGHT-FOOT LONG DOUGLAS FIR 2X4: Used for levering the fender upward off a hydraulic jack.

TWEEZERS: A tool for removing wood splinters.

PHONE: Tool for calling your neighbor to see if he has another hydraulic floor jack.

SNAP-ON GASKET SCRAPER: Theoretically useful as a sandwich tool for spreading mayonnaise; used mainly for getting dog-**** off your boot.

E-Z OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR: A tool that snaps off in bolt holes and is ten times harder than any known drill bit.

TIMING LIGHT: A stroboscopic instrument for illuminating grease buildup.

TWO-TON HYDRAULIC ENGINE HOIST: A handy tool for testing the tensile strength of ground straps and fuel lines you may have forgotten to disconnect.

CRAFTSMAN 1/2 x 16-INCH SCREWDRIVER: A large motor mount prying tool that has an accurately machined screwdriver tip on the end without the handle.

BATTERY ELECTROLYTE TESTER: A handy tool for transferring sulfuric acid from a car battery to the inside of your toolbox after determining that your battery is dead as a doornail, just as you thought.

AVIATION METAL SNIPS: See hacksaw.

TROUBLE LIGHT: The mechanic's own tanning booth. Sometimes called a drop light, it is a good source of vitamin D, "the sunshine vitamin," which is not otherwise found under race cars at night. Health benefits aside, it's main purpose is to consume 40-watt light bulbs at about the same rate as a 25mm chain gun.
More often dark than light, its name is somewhat misleading.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the lids of old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splash oil on your shirt; can also be used, as the name implies, to round off Phillips screw heads.

AIR COMPRESSOR: A machine that takes energy produced in a coal-burning power plant 200 miles away and transforms it into compressed air that travels by hose to a Chicago Pneumatic impact wrench that grips rusty bolts last tightened 40 years ago by someone in Detriot and rounds them off.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to cut hoses 1/2 inch too short.

12MM WRENCH: A tool that comes in handy when you need to weld a brace between the positive terminal on your alternator and the engine block, when you forget to disconnect the battery.

SPIRO LOCK: A spring like, tightly wound, carbon steel retainer used primarily to gouge forged pistons. Alternatively, the tool of choice for administering multiple fingertip lacerations.

Hmmmmmm... Yep, checks out.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

bull3964 posted:

So they could run bald winters instead?

My hope would be that being that they can barely afford to run their car to begin with they would just park them for the winter.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

1500quidporsche posted:

My hope would be that being that they can barely afford to run their car to begin with they would just park them for the winter.

And how would they go to work? Fetch groceries?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Maybe Canada's amazing social welfare infrastructure would help them out.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Cakefool posted:

And how would they go to work? Fetch groceries?

I live in "the hood". you'd be amazed how far you can get with a couple of stolen shopping carts in winter.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I prefer:

Air Compressor: A device that converts electricity into an infinite amount of noise and a very finite amount of air. Used for limiting conversations to small blurbs between air tool operations and compressor tank charging cycles.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Slanderer posted:

If you're just going to repost poo poo from reddit, at least post the explanation:

http://www.visir.is/flips-car-in-parking-garage/article/2014141029556

And where's the explanation in that link?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Some of the Sheep posted:

There isn't one. There is no explanation beyond "maybe vodka, maybe meth, maybe an argument, maybe just stupidity".

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Some of the Sheep posted:

Memento posted:

There isn't one. There is no explanation beyond "maybe vodka, maybe meth, maybe an argument, maybe just stupidity".

If you need an explanation beyond "Iceland" then I don't know what to tell you.

The place is weird

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Easy test to determine if you are ready to drive through the winter in a state that regularly sees snow/ice on the road.

Do you have winter tires on your car? No? Then you are not operating your vehicle with the care and caution that it is due, it is not properly equipped for the conditions, and you are probably a terrible driver.

Some terrible drivers will have snow tires, but they really should be mandatory and only about 5% of the population here (in a state that has 6 months of brutal winter) has them.

Some of us just run all terrains all year. :colbert:

I'm just putting new ones on tomorrow for the year, actually, because we can't run studded tires here until November, and the roads out where I work are terrible enough that the first solid freeze is going to make them very fun.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 24, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I can't wait to put my brand new studded snows on my incredibly underpowered subaru, I doubt it'll even be able to break the tires loose in more than a quarter inch of... anything.

(Yeah, I know braking and cornering will still be an issue)

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

veedubfreak posted:

It's kind of weird to be this far into October and still running my summer wheels. It is supposed to be near 80 for Halloween.

I'm loving it. This summer was so f'n rainy that I barely got to drive my convertible. October has been perfect for making up that lost time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Farking Bastage posted:

I laughed at these but goddammit don't drill things on a drill press while trying to hold them down with your hands!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

As in all projects, more clamps is better.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I like it when people don't clamp down stuff they're milling, and a 6' long aluminium section gets spat out like a javelin.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I don't, we have a long horizontal mill with the load end kinda pointed at my office :ohdear:
horrible machine operator failures (no coolant)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rscott posted:

I don't, we have a long horizontal mill with the load end kinda pointed at my office :ohdear:
:ssh: I was working the machine next to them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

rscott posted:

horrible machine operator failures (no coolant)

What the gently caress? How does one go about not noticing the lack of coolant, or the fact that the part looks like poo poo? As I recall the sound is very different, too... I hope that idiot was fired or at least demoted to running a bandsaw cutting blanks or something.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
That is hilarious.
Was it supposed to be magic gravel that made it all go away?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

From.the article, "Turn Your Backyard Into a Superfund Candidate by the Time the EPA is Invented!"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Out of sight, out of mind.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Well it came out of the ground in the first place right? Right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It is somewhat clever if you don't give a poo poo about anything living. The oil will seep into the ground and stop bothering you.

Might be hard to justify to the missus the 10 foot dead zone on the front lawn though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

From.the article, "Turn Your Backyard Into a Superfund Candidate by the Time the EPA is Invented!"

I read Max Gergel's book about running an organic chemistry company and it's full of poo poo like this. Before the EPA started poking its nose into everyone's business they just dumped waste product into the yard out back and nothing grew there ever again

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

MrChips posted:

Here's a kid who tuned his backyard into a Superfund site.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn#Creation_of_the_reactor

A radioactive Superfund site.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is actually safe if they're old-fashioned carbon-zinc batteries, but I sure wouldn't try it with anything newer and more reactive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'll contribute with a quick photo of how the AA recommended you repair rust-holed sills, back in the days of pounds, shillings, and pence:

Yes, that's chicken wire.

Yes, that's a monocoque.