Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

The promotion is paying for ETFs for switching from another carrier. Personally, I can see why they won't accept T-Mobile phones. My argument as a rep would be "well, you had 2-3 lines on Verizon, where are those phones?" And if its that you sold them to get more money than the trade in, I think you can afford to buy some cheap non T-Mobile poo poo phone so you can also get the ETF credit. Unless I'm missing something I don't think that extra effort being requested from you is unreasonable.

The problem is that 2 (out of 4) of the Verizon phones are out of town and won't be back until December. For me, I'd like to get the Sony Z3 which isn't out until the end of the month. I kind of need the phone in the meantime. So as is, I only have one Verizon phone to offer. If the policy really is "no T-Mobile phones" then fine. But everyone else seems to suggest I should have 0 issue. Even TMobile support forums say it's fine (though that might just be users talking to other users).

Edit: I guess I'll just try online and if T-Mobile HQ won't take them, then that's as official as it gets and I'll grab some Verizon prepaid phones instead.

Resonance22 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i accept $15 flip phones from tracfone for trade ins all the time

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Hakarne posted:

Hey wait, we can just drop our phones off at a T-Mobile store for the ETF deal? I'd much rather do that than ship them and wait.

On a related note it looks like they got some 6+ in stock, they shipped mine last night! :dance: Hopefully the rest of you on back order get them soon!

T-mobile stores can not take in trade ins for phones that were not purchased and received in that exact store at the time of purchasing phone. If you want to trade in a phone for a phone that you bought online or was shipped to you from a store or customer care and you didn't start the trade in process at the time of purchasing the phone, you go to https://www.t-mobile.com/tradein and at the bottom you enter your order # and your phone number. Then you enter in your serial number of the phone you are trading in and Tmobile will give you the shipping label to send your phone back.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Resonance22 posted:

The problem is that 2 (out of 4) of the Verizon phones are out of town and won't be back until December. For me, I'd like to get the Sony Z3 which isn't out until the end of the month. I kind of need the phone in the meantime. So as is, I only have one Verizon phone to offer. If the policy really is "no T-Mobile phones" then fine. But everyone else seems to suggest I should have 0 issue. Even TMobile support forums say it's fine (though that might just be users talking to other users).

Edit: I guess I'll just try online and if T-Mobile HQ won't take them, then that's as official as it gets and I'll grab some Verizon prepaid phones instead.
So go on Craigslist and buy some POS flip phones or $15 Tracphone to trade in. It's really not hard to understand why a promotion intended to bring people from other carriers would specifically exclude trading in phones from the same carrier.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
How can I get the RMA number on my trade in? I don't see any record of it in my email.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I traded in two AT&T phones (iphone 1 and iphone 3gs) when I switched, but I was switching from Verizon. The T-Mobile employee did not care, but tried to up-sell me on random phones many times. I went in the middle of a weekday, which may have helped.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Is it true that buying the nerd plan sim online from walmart.com can be problematic? That's what some reviews suggest.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Rated PG-34 posted:

Is it true that buying the nerd plan sim online from walmart.com can be problematic? That's what some reviews suggest.

Is there a reason you'd prefer to buy from Walmart.com instead of T-Mobile's website?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Rated PG-34 posted:

Personally, I didn't have any issue with it. I probably would have saved about $10 ordering the SIM from T-Mobile directly, but on the other hand, I was a bit impatient to get my Nexus 4 working, and hadn't ordered the T-Mobile SIM at the same time I bought the phone.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What the hell, T-Mobile?

I'm one month into my prepaid service and they just keep failing hilariously on account maintenance and billing stuff that should be pretty automatic.

First there was the broken minutes tracking system we talked about recently in this thread. It erroneously show that I had used up all my minutes for the last two weeks.

Now that my minutes are ACTUALLY used up and month is over, I can't get my plan to renew. There's $40 in my account. The money has been there for a while.

The site says, "next charge to be applied 10/17/14." That was three days ago. I'm still get charged a dime per minute in overages.

Is it always like this on the magenta side?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Not always, though stuff like this does seem to happen occasionally. Usually it gets cleared up after a week or two. I'd call 611 and see if they can force your plan to renew and/or credit you your overage minutes back that you shouldn't have had to use.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

Is there a reason you'd prefer to buy from Walmart.com instead of T-Mobile's website?

I can't seem to find it on T-mobile's website...

Edit: never mind, figured out I just need to order the sim card and activate on the website.

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 21, 2014

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Rated PG-34 posted:

I can't seem to find it on T-mobile's website...

Looks like you aren't dorky enough to find the secret entrance. Try again after installing Linux somewhere and beating McKids on a phone's NES emulator app.

check the bottom of the prepaid plan section

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'm leaving my current job, and with it my company-paid phone. I'm looking for a new plan, coming in with no ETF or trade-in. The T-Mobile $30 nerd plan seems like it'd be great for me, the only downside being paying for a new phone up front. If I'm reading it right I can buy a new iPhone 6 and activate it with the plan, paying the full $700 or whatever up front, then just $30 after? Are there any cheaper phones people would recommend? I'm coming from a Samsung Galaxy S3 with my number on google voice, so while I prefer iOS I'm fine with android too.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
edit: TMO fixed it

nickutz fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 22, 2014

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Toebone posted:

I'm leaving my current job, and with it my company-paid phone. I'm looking for a new plan, coming in with no ETF or trade-in. The T-Mobile $30 nerd plan seems like it'd be great for me, the only downside being paying for a new phone up front. If I'm reading it right I can buy a new iPhone 6 and activate it with the plan, paying the full $700 or whatever up front, then just $30 after? Are there any cheaper phones people would recommend? I'm coming from a Samsung Galaxy S3 with my number on google voice, so while I prefer iOS I'm fine with android too.

You could get a Nexus 5 for $349/399 or a Moto G starting at $179. Either would be an improvement over the S3.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lazydog posted:

You could get a Nexus 5 for $349/399 or a Moto G starting at $179. Either would be an improvement over the S3.

There might also still be those $250 2013 Moto X's on ebay. I'd take one of those over either generation of Moto G unless you *really* need the bigger screen or an SD slot/more than 16 GB.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It looks like wifi calling, which has been broken for prepaid customers since at least Monday morning, was JUST fixed within the hour. I finally have service at work again!

Let's go fix the billing and minutes systems!

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I ordered a Note 4 in a physical store, and they told me they were out of stock but I'd get it shipped, 3 days UPS, and it would be here tomorrow. Turns out it's a 2-4 week backorder. I am really pissed that they would take my order and have me do all that BS when I needed the phone by that date (I'm Jump! upgrading but my current phone is not reliable).

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I went to trade in my old phones (two iPhone 4 and a 4s) and noticed they reduced the trade in value from the $200 they were offering as a match against at&t to $29 and $79, respectively. I found the old at&t offer using the waybackmachine which stated that they would honor the $200 trade in if you placed your order before the 31st of September. I placed my order on September 16th with t-mobile so I submitted a trade in match claim through t-mobile's website.

They weren't really clear on what I should do now though. Do I submit my phones while they process the claim? How long is this going to take to sort out? I'm going to get slammed hard with ETF fees from Verizon so I really loving hope this doesn't cause a huge delay. And they better not even think of denying it, I will go apeshit. I wish I could talk to a trade in rep but when I called they transferred me to the ETF line where I got circle-jerked in automation hell.

Edit: One rep told me to hold onto the phones and another told me to just send them in! :suicide:

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 23, 2014

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
If anyone was curious, I got my microSIM in the mail yesterday and popped it into my Verizon iPad 4. The setup was completely painless and everything seems to work really well — I was expecting EDGE speeds or something because of the frequencies the Verizon model supports but apparently I get HSDPA here since it gets around 20 Mbps on speed tests. I'm still extremely skeptical about this 200 MB of data really being free each month, but I guess I'll see how it goes.

I do have another question, though: I ordered a new iPad Air 2 (from Apple, not T-Mobile) to replace this device. Am I going to be able to transfer over this free data account or is it basically "1 per customer" or something? Can I have the free data on both devices?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Beeftweeter posted:

If anyone was curious, I got my microSIM in the mail yesterday and popped it into my Verizon iPad 4. The setup was completely painless and everything seems to work really well — I was expecting EDGE speeds or something because of the frequencies the Verizon model supports but apparently I get HSDPA here since it gets around 20 Mbps on speed tests. I'm still extremely skeptical about this 200 MB of data really being free each month, but I guess I'll see how it goes.

I do have another question, though: I ordered a new iPad Air 2 (from Apple, not T-Mobile) to replace this device. Am I going to be able to transfer over this free data account or is it basically "1 per customer" or something? Can I have the free data on both devices?
Remove SIM, put SIM in new one. Done.
As for getting it on both, I don't know.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

ilkhan posted:

Remove SIM, put SIM in new one. Done.
As for getting it on both, I don't know.

The iPad Air 2 comes with some crazy "Apple SIM" that lets you switch carriers at will, so I don't think that's an option. Either way, the iPad 4 uses a micro SIM and iPad Air uses a nano SIM, so it wouldn't fit.

Basically I'm just wondering if anyone has the "free data for life" plan on more than one device. I remember seeing an option to add it to an existing account when I first set it up, but I don't know if having two of the free plan on the same account is allowed or not. If not, I guess it's not a huge deal since I can just set up another account under someone else's name, but since that's kinda shady I'd like some clarification on this.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I traded in my iPhone 4 in September when T-Mobile was beating AT&T's trade in values by offering $201 (AT&T was offering $200 at the time). It was not even technically the price match promotion apparently, T-Mobile was outright beating AT&T by $1 so they didn't have to throw in the $50 price match bonus.

T-Mobile finally accepts my phone, and I'm told they gave me a $58 statement credit. Complete bullshit... call up T-Mobile, they are acting like T-Mobile never offered $201 for the iPhone 4. And that I should have filled out the price match guarantee 7 days after I initiated the trade in to get them to price match it. Except I was told not to do this, because T-Mobile was offering $1 more and it was not technically a price match! Rep on the phone looks up the price of the phone and tells me it's $58 right now to trade in the iPhone 4.

Thankfully, I had notes on my account stating that I wanted to trade in my phone and have T-Mobile price match AT&T's $200 value. It was honestly a too good to be true deal, and I wanted notes on my account stating what I was doing before I initiated the trade in. So after talking to supervisors on the phone it looks like they are just going to honor the notes on the account by giving me an additional $192 statement credit to honor the notes. Will see if this credit comes in within 72 hours as promised.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Astro7x posted:

So I traded in my iPhone 4 in September when T-Mobile was beating AT&T's trade in values by offering $201 (AT&T was offering $200 at the time). It was not even technically the price match promotion apparently, T-Mobile was outright beating AT&T by $1 so they didn't have to throw in the $50 price match bonus.

T-Mobile finally accepts my phone, and I'm told they gave me a $58 statement credit. Complete bullshit... call up T-Mobile, they are acting like T-Mobile never offered $201 for the iPhone 4. And that I should have filled out the price match guarantee 7 days after I initiated the trade in to get them to price match it. Except I was told not to do this, because T-Mobile was offering $1 more and it was not technically a price match! Rep on the phone looks up the price of the phone and tells me it's $58 right now to trade in the iPhone 4.

Thankfully, I had notes on my account stating that I wanted to trade in my phone and have T-Mobile price match AT&T's $200 value. It was honestly a too good to be true deal, and I wanted notes on my account stating what I was doing before I initiated the trade in. So after talking to supervisors on the phone it looks like they are just going to honor the notes on the account by giving me an additional $192 statement credit to honor the notes. Will see if this credit comes in within 72 hours as promised.

That's basically my exact situation. I'm glad to hear it's theoretically possible that they will honor the old price, but I didn't outright say I expected a $200 trade in value. I did mention that I was going to trade in phones on the day I ordered though and I have explicit proof that at&t was offering $200 a pop for iPhone 4 and 4s. Hopefully they don't dick me around too much, but there's $600 on the line (3 phones) so I'm expecting a fight. :(

Fake edit: I'm borrowing that image if I need to submit proof. Thanks for posting.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just got a text from T-Mobile today saying $201 was credited to my account for the iPhone 4 16 GB I sent in a while ago.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I just got a text from T-Mobile today saying $201 was credited to my account for the iPhone 4 16 GB I sent in a while ago.

how long was a while cause I sent them my moto x about a month ago and have gotten nothin.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Hakarne posted:

That's basically my exact situation. I'm glad to hear it's theoretically possible that they will honor the old price, but I didn't outright say I expected a $200 trade in value. I did mention that I was going to trade in phones on the day I ordered though and I have explicit proof that at&t was offering $200 a pop for iPhone 4 and 4s. Hopefully they don't dick me around too much, but there's $600 on the line (3 phones) so I'm expecting a fight. :(

Fake edit: I'm borrowing that image if I need to submit proof. Thanks for posting.

Looking back at your previous post, the proper way to do it now that they lowered the official trade in price (and you actually have to price match it) is to go to this page and fill out the form within 7 days of trading in your device.

https://www.t-mobiletradeinguarantee.com/

quote:

Q: I found a better competitive offer, how many days do I have to submit and when will I receive my credit?
A: You have 7 days to submit a claim after trading in your device (date of RMA). Approved claims are applied to your bill in the form of a bill credit within 2-3 bill cycles after your submission is approved.

The weird part of my story is that when I initiated the trade in, T-Mobile was offering $201, and they didn't give me $201 when they received my phone. I had no reason to go to that website and fill out the form within 7 days, because there was nothing to price match at the time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LionYeti posted:

how long was a while cause I sent them my moto x about a month ago and have gotten nothin.

3 weeks to a month.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
What is T-Mobile even doing with all these phones? Refurbishing them and filling insurance replacement requests with them?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="436708226"]
What is T-Mobile even doing with all these phones? Refurbishing them and filling insurance replacement requests with them?

John Legere is building a spaceship.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="436708226"]

That would be my honest bet with all the companies. They do also refurb and sell some of them to customers direct at a lower price ($50-100 less for a refurb 5C for instance).

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Astro7x posted:

Looking back at your previous post, the proper way to do it now that they lowered the official trade in price (and you actually have to price match it) is to go to this page and fill out the form within 7 days of trading in your device.

https://www.t-mobiletradeinguarantee.com/

The weird part of my story is that when I initiated the trade in, T-Mobile was offering $201, and they didn't give me $201 when they received my phone. I had no reason to go to that website and fill out the form within 7 days, because there was nothing to price match at the time.

Yep that's what I did. I hope they match it straight up, I have a screen shot of the offer from at&t but they didn't have a way of submitting proof of your claim. I guess they just "research" it themselves. The offer isn't current either (it ended in September), but it said explicitly that it would apply to any order placed before the end of September which is when I ordered my stuff.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

My S5 trade-in was also credited last night--I sent the S5 in on 10/15.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="436708226"]

Apparently there's a huge market for refurbished smartphones in China. I'd imagine the ones they don't use for insurance purposes get sent over there and resold.

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002
Since switching to the 1GB plan I can't figure out what the usage means in the iOS app. It look like:

Does that mean I've used 403mb of my 1gb, or I already exhausted the 1gb and am now unlimited?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Killmaster posted:

Since switching to the 1GB plan I can't figure out what the usage means in the iOS app. It look like:

Does that mean I've used 403mb of my 1gb, or I already exhausted the 1gb and am now unlimited?

It means you've used 403MB of your unlimited data, the first 1GB of which is high speed data.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Does Tmobile not have shared data plans? Looking to get 2 lines but would like to share data as my wife never uses all of hers

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

bryn987 posted:

Does Tmobile not have shared data plans? Looking to get 2 lines but would like to share data as my wife never uses all of hers

You could just keep her on the 1GB and get a higher package for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Got sent here from the suggestions thread, so if I'm understanding the process right to grab the Nerd Plan:

1. I buy a phone from T-Mobile: Thinking the Google Nexus 5.
2. When it arrives, I activate it through the phone online and select the $35 plan?