Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

rear end Creed Pirates

I got this along with a PS4 and for some reason when I'm climbing stuff, Edward will get to the top ledge of something and refuse to climb up until I release the thumb stick and press it forward again. It has led to some messed up chases or whatever but I have to say I've gotten used to it after a few days and it's forgivable, because that game is awesome and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DStecks posted:

Tiggum is getting bitched at because he's saying that broadly employed design concepts, which for many people in the thread are a big part of why they enjoy video games, are lovely because he personally does not want to play a video game more than once or use GameFAQs.

He's complaining about a broadly employed design concept in a thread where people regularly bitch about tutorials. Which I would consider tutorials
a broadly employed design concept. But I guess since Tiggum has an opinion different from everyone else it's okay to dogpile him.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

To be fair, I rarely replay a game until several years have passed since my first time through it. This year will probably be my second playthrough of Skyrim even though it's been out forever. Consequently, I like to be able to do everything the first time.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

DStecks posted:

Tiggum is getting bitched at because he's saying that broadly employed design concepts, which for many people in the thread are a big part of why they enjoy video games, are lovely because he personally does not want to play a video game more than once or use GameFAQs.

So what that's the point of the thread just let it go already.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

can we possibly perhaps never again talk about missable content in videogames please

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

StandardVC10 posted:

Shut up about that already, will you.

Persona 4: Maybe it was just because it was my first time playing through it, but I found that SP*-restoring items were never in adequate supply. During the final-final boss fight, 2 of my 4 party members were completely out of SP when I finally beat it, and my player character had only about 50 left after using up all my items. (The fourth used an element that the boss absorbed, so none of his magic attacks actually did anything.) It didn't help that all of the late-game boss fights used a format where you fought a weaker boss before the final one who would still be strong enough to require party-healing skills to be used.

*SP is just what Persona calls Magic Points.

edit: also I got two social links to 9 before the plot pulled the rug out from under me and I couldn't increase them further, but that's what I get for going in blind and spending too many evenings working at the hospital because I needed the cash, I guess.

This is why Rise has the best Christmas gift, it gives 50% more SP, I think my protagonist had like 600 for the end boss.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

smuh posted:

can we possibly perhaps never again talk about missable content in videogames please

You could say that no one would miss this derail :rimshot:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

im pooping! posted:

rear end Creed Pirates

I got this along with a PS4 and for some reason when I'm climbing stuff, Edward will get to the top ledge of something and refuse to climb up until I release the thumb stick and press it forward again. It has led to some messed up chases or whatever but I have to say I've gotten used to it after a few days and it's forgivable, because that game is awesome and fun.

It doesn't happen automatically because sometimes when you're sneaking you don't want him to automatically jump up.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Dark Souls is my favorite game, and I was so excited for Dark Souls 2. But this screenshot shows what's dragging it down for me:

That background area just has so much wrong with it. And it is just this thing; I believe that this game is probably about as good as the first. But I've had it since PC release, and this just bums me out so bad that I have a hard time playing farther into it. The map/world in DS1 was so big a part of what was impressive about it, and then the first real area in DS2 has this throw-away area. I'm letting it bother me too much, but blech.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Oct 24, 2014

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Spiderman 2: Tobey Maguire and the citizens of New York City sound bored as hell.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Alpha Protocol, the hacking minigame. This is literally the worst hacking I've ever done in a game. Maybe there's something wrong with my eyes but the time limit isn't near long enough when you consider that the words keep switching places.

Controlling the menus with a mouse is also like pulling teeth.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Celery Face posted:

Spiderman 2: Tobey Maguire and the citizens of New York City sound bored as hell.

The voice acting in Spider-Man 2 and 3 are both just god awful.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Sleepy Owl posted:

lol true but my point is that i usually talk to everyone anyway in games like that even if they dont have anything of "value" to say some of the dialogue can still be interesting and talking to them usually takes no time whatsoever

I don't understand why people are so confused by Tiggum. I mean, I get exactly what he's talking about. Springboarding off of the Alpha Protocol bit, multiple paths are no problem. You're not missing something by choosing a path, you are choosing a path. That is a gameplay choice handed to the player. He doesn't like missable side quests when it's content that is not down another path of choice but rather a single path with poo poo that he will miss.

Example? Wasteland 2 you have a very early choice to save one place at the expense of another. That is a choice, you are explicitly provided with that choice. What would drive Tiggum batshit insane is if there were a hidden third choice which you would only find by going and searching all over the place and uncovering a third location on the other side of the map from the two provided choices where you could save that third place and change the story yet again, but nowhere were you told about this choice or that the option existed. It was just a location that you had to hunt around the world map and get close enough to uncover, unmarked on your map until you found it, but choosing that option would open up new content that Tiggum is very interested in participating in and he doesn't find said content until an online guide or discussion pointed him to it.

I don't necessarily share his perspective, but as someone who also can find it tedious to go sample every NPCs irreverent dialogue in order to find the two random NPCs with something interesting and important to add to the game is irritating. When it's literally "talk to everyone in an area because they might have something interesting to say" especially in an NPC dense area, it can be irritating and I share his disdain for content delivered that way. I would rather have a cohesive experience where there was enough characterization that the NPCs who add content are people who I walk up wanting to talk to for some reason, even if I don't immediately know that they are going to hand me some content/a quest/whatever.

Dark Souls 2 tweaks this irritation a little with the incipid "Exhaust all NPC dialogue even though none of them have anything remotely interesting to say" poo poo.

:edit:

Since I brought up Wasteland 2, the energy weapon vs armor system is irritating. A multiplier based on the energy weapon having a penetration less than the armor the enemy is wearing. So if your gun has 5 armor penetration and the enemy has 4 armor you do like 70% of the full damage but if your gun has 4 penetration and the enemy has 5 armor you do more than double the base damage of the weapon. And of course, the higher the level of the energy weapon the higher the armor penetration because otherwise if it went down you'd just have enemies with more armor and energy weapons which are always going to do max damage against pretty much anything.

So energy weapons basically are actually your heavy weapons. Pick the one with the highest damage possible and only pull it out when facing something armored as hell which your other weapons won't do poo poo worth of damage to because they're all 2-3 armor pen below the enemy armor level.

It's stupid and nonsensical. "If your energy weapon hits unshielded flesh it doesn't do much damage unless it kills them and melts them into a puddle of purple goo, but if they're wearing Kevlar it hits them for double damage!"

Also energy cells weigh a poo poo ton and yet plenty of energy weapons go through ammo just as fast as any other gun making them a bitch to haul around for those random few encounters where they're in any way preferable to ballistics. 9/10 times the best assault rifle you can carry around with you beats the best energy weapon you can have at the same skill level. Really assault rifles are just the best weapons besides high explosives for almost any situation unless you make a melee brawler because that poo poo can get absolutely ridiculous. I am frustrated that my pistolero character is borderline useless by comparison. And shotguns are just complete poo poo until you find a good one later in the game. Melee is and will always apparently be better than shotguns. And though I've only found one drat heavy weapon past the prison apparently heavy weapons are also just complete poo poo and not worth using.

TheSpiritFox has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Oct 24, 2014

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Shut up about that already, will you.

Persona 4: Maybe it was just because it was my first time playing through it, but I found that SP*-restoring items were never in adequate supply. During the final-final boss fight, 2 of my 4 party members were completely out of SP when I finally beat it, and my player character had only about 50 left after using up all my items. (The fourth used an element that the boss absorbed, so none of his magic attacks actually did anything.) It didn't help that all of the late-game boss fights used a format where you fought a weaker boss before the final one who would still be strong enough to require party-healing skills to be used.

*SP is just what Persona calls Magic Points.

edit: also I got two social links to 9 before the plot pulled the rug out from under me and I couldn't increase them further, but that's what I get for going in blind and spending too many evenings working at the hospital because I needed the cash, I guess.

I don't remember having that problem I think I just popped a couple of somas and kept on going. Mind you I had a Yoshitune which is pretty much the "here you win" Persona. Persona 3 (portable) the final boss is a huge annoying loving slog. At the start the battle is super fun, the final boss has different phases where it mixes up its abilities so you have change your tactics. The final phase is just the worst though. It increases it's defense, starts throwing out buffs/debuffs, has high hp, and deals a lot of damage. So I had a system that worked out well, one character healed the party every turn, one character threw out buffs, and the two other characters were on damage duty. With this system I was In no danger what so ever but it was long and boring. Thank god the music was good or I would not have finished it.

I've also heard horror stories of the boss charming one of your characters and having them heal all of its hp. I would have thrown my Vita across the room (onto the soft couch) in rage.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

littleorv posted:

I've also heard horror stories of the boss charming one of your characters and having them heal all of its hp. I would have thrown my Vita across the room (onto the soft couch) in rage.

I didn't have that happen to me in Persona 3 FES, but I brought a couple personas with Amrita for status healing duty, IIRC. All it would take is Yukari or Mitsuru's Diarahan to do that, though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Captain Lavender posted:

Dark Souls is my favorite game, and I was so excited for Dark Souls 2. But this screenshot shows what's dragging it down for me:

That background area just has so much wrong with it. And it is just this thing; I believe that this game is probably about as good as the first. But I've had it since PC release, and this just bums me out so bad that I have a hard time playing farther into it. The map/world in DS1 was so big a part of what was impressive about it, and then the first real area in DS2 has this throw-away area. I'm letting it bother me too much, but blech.

Forest of the Giants is just a weirdly lovely outlier for Dark Souls 2. The rest of the game is great, and hell, the later parts of the Forest are great, but it just doesn't start well at all.

I suppose it's good that the area is technically optional; there's two ways to get to the Lost Bastille and the first Great Soul, and you could instead go to Heide's Tower of Flame. I'd say you probably shouldn't, because there's better stuff in the Forest, but you can.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Big rear end post by Spiritfox about Tiggum

:rolleyes:

PYF thing dragging this game down: shut the gently caress up about Tiggum already.

Content:

Been playing War In the North. Theme seems to be "hold off against ridiculously large hordes of orcs until plot magic opens a door." In the second area, this happened three or four rooms in a row. The combat isn't all that great so it's more an exercise. In tedium instead of fun.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Forest of the Giants is just a weirdly lovely outlier for Dark Souls 2. The rest of the game is great, and hell, the later parts of the Forest are great, but it just doesn't start well at all.

It's one of my favorite areas in the game and gave me a really good first impression of it :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, we should bitch at him for not playing Star Control II.

Hey Tiggum, play it, it's free

Apparently it's some kind of combination adventure/action game? That doesn't sound like something I would enjoy.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Every time I try to play Star Control 2 I aimlessly bob around Sol getting shouted at by aliens and then I try to leave and get attacked by different angry aliens and then I have to play the combat and I don't understand the combat and get killed by what seems to be an overwhelming foe immediately. I do not understand Star Control 2

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Huh, I always thought Star Control 2 was a 4X game or something. What the heck game was I thinking of?

edit: Oh, I think it might have been the original GalCiv.

Inco has a new favorite as of 15:51 on Oct 25, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Star Citizen :v:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Imperium Galactica?

EDIT: /\ Star Citizen is just a scam, not even a real game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mokinokaro posted:

EDIT: /\ Star Citizen is just a scam, not even a real game.

Hence the ":v:"

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It's one of my favorite areas in the game and gave me a really good first impression of it :shrug:

Agreed, FoFG is extremely good. The skybox/background/whatever isn't pretty, but whatcha gonna do, DS2's world has a hub-and-spokes structure instead of DS1's tightly tangled knot.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My problem with Dark Souls 2 is that they seem to have mis-typed the title. What I expected was a sequel to Dark Souls and what I got was a sequel to Demon's Soul.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Xoidanor posted:

My problem with Dark Souls 2 is that they seem to have mis-typed the title. What I expected was a sequel to Dark Souls and what I got was a sequel to Demon's Soul.

Bloodborne is literally Demons Souls 2 anyway, right down to having the main From dev team and Sony assistance.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

The voice acting in Spider-Man 2 and 3 are both just god awful.
"Oh no, my balloon!" :argh:

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Celery Face posted:

you would have balloons

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Wolfenstein New Order has some really cool areas The Moon. Submarine. but you never really get to stick around them too long, the game shuffling you back to Generic Land instead like bridges, camps and buildings :(

TheSpiritFox posted:

Example? Wasteland 2 you have a very early choice to save one place at the expense of another. That is a choice, you are explicitly provided with that choice. What would drive Tiggum batshit insane is if there were a hidden third choice which you would only find by going and searching all over the place and uncovering a third location on the other side of the map from the two provided choices where you could save that third place and change the story yet again, but nowhere were you told about this choice or that the option existed.
Yes and no-ish here. There is a third choice.
Don't go to any place. Eventually both will fall.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Every time I try to play Star Control 2 I aimlessly bob around Sol getting shouted at by aliens and then I try to leave and get attacked by different angry aliens and then I have to play the combat and I don't understand the combat and get killed by what seems to be an overwhelming foe immediately. I do not understand Star Control 2

You mean these guys?

Yeah they're pretty tricky to fight if you're a new player.

I have to say the worst thing in the game is that their random encounter rate is about 10 times normal before you finish the tutorial (IE: getting the earth starbase online by giving them some radioactives from mercury, then dealing with the lunar stuff). It's one of the few examples of developer enforced railroading.

I do like how you can set the combat mode to 'cyborg', and have the computer do all your fights for you, so you just need to pick good ship matchups to win.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Celery Face posted:

"Oh. The pain. Make it stop. :geno:"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
What bugged the poo poo out of me in Star Control 2 is the time limit. Well, it's not an explicit time limit, but basically if you take too long doing your poo poo, one of the evil races in the galaxy that is embroiled in a huge loving war with the other evil race will win the war and go on a mission of purging the rest of the galaxy. This will eventually result in the destruction of places like Earth, which is kind of important to you for stuff like, well, everything - crew, upgrades, ship bits, etc. So if you take to long in this really large sandbox game, you essentially lose.

There are some things you can do to extend this limit (basically crippling one side and helping the other).

I'm pretty sure it's a long time limit, but I like just going to places for the hell of it, looking around, grabbing resources, and not being harried by the thought that if I don't hurry up, I'm hosed.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I was overcome with a strong desire to finally start Alpha Protocol last night. I had tried getting into it a few times but it didn't quite hold my interest beyond the tutorial. I made it out of Saudi Arabia last night, at least.

Boy howdy is this game fuckin janky.

Not necessarily bad, just... not rvery polished. I have a friend who has beaten the game multiple times and he told me to go stealth/pistols with a warning that it'll be a tough early game while I'll snap the endgame over my knee. Pretty sure stuff like stealth and shooting is based more on my character skills and less my own skills. The hacking minigames aren't super fun and I've had a couple times where I ran into a room I thought was empty because Awareness didn't pick them up but haha joke's on me the enemies just hadn't loaded until I entered the room and now they're staring at me.

Still plan on sticking with it but I can see where the kinda mediocre critic reviews came from.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

AP is definitely an acquired taste. Just as a tip, the second level of the tech skills lets you bypass all hacking\lockpick minigames with an EMP grenade.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You don't have to stealth/pistol it but if you don't like the combat that's the best way to skip it and it is unquestionably the best tactic against the bosses. If you get through the whole game definitely play a second time as a more combat-focused character and make different decisions, it's really impressive how much stuff the game keeps track off and refers back to, or hides away unless you've done certain things.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't like the constant recommendations to go stealth/pistols on a first playthrough of AP. It's not awful to go with any other combination, and I feel like that recommendation takes away a lot of the agency that you have to go other routes to see other playthroughs, especially given how it breaks much of the combat of the game. I went through with assault rifles and did just fine on my first playthrough on hard difficulty, just like any other cover shooter (through Brayko was a bit of a pain in the rear end). As long as you don't go SMGs, you're fine.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Morpheus posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a long time limit, but I like just going to places for the hell of it, looking around, grabbing resources, and not being harried by the thought that if I don't hurry up, I'm hosed.

I never really got this complaint against Star Control 2. Outside of those planets and systems that actually have plot stuff in them, that is usually alluded to or hinted at by various conversations in the game, there's really no reason to go into the galaxy and mine out every single planet. Hell, I think destroying the Slylandro probes gives you more money than most planet hauls, and that doesn't take up any storage space and becomes trivially easy with a Spathi Eluder.

But I guess OCD is a rather crippling condition sometimes.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I don't like the constant recommendations to go stealth/pistols on a first playthrough of AP. It's not awful to go with any other combination, and I feel like that recommendation takes away a lot of the agency that you have to go other routes to see other playthroughs, especially given how it breaks much of the combat of the game. I went through with assault rifles and did just fine on my first playthrough on hard difficulty, just like any other cover shooter (through Brayko was a bit of a pain in the rear end). As long as you don't go SMGs, you're fine.

Eh, to be honest I typically play games stealthily. I'm pretty bad at stealth in this game though so I'm packing a shotgun for when things go loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Morpheus posted:

I can at least understand it if it's recommended for the express purpose of skipping through the janky combat in AP (though honestly it'd probably be more fun to embrace it and go shotguns :getin:). But otherwise I get annoyed by people who are really insistent that blindly using the most efficient method is the best way to play. See also: Wrench build in Bioshock.