Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Schneider Heim posted:

Has Reed Richards ever been a herald of Galactus? What Ifs count.

Then yes. There was a What If where the Surfer didn't rebel against Galactus. At the end, the Earth was destroyed, Surfer was dead somehow, and the FF (and the Wasp) became Galactus's new heralds.

E: I'm just going to stop answering questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Walrus posted:

Any good comics podcasts to look out for? I'm looking for more in the conversational vein, rather than interview-types like Kieron Gillen's where he just interviews creators about their latest product.

I enjoy Rachel & Miles X-Plain the X-Men, though that's obviously very focused on a particular corner of the universe; it's probably the only one I would make a point of listening to every week. I sometimes listen to War Rocket Ajax (featuring Chris Sims and Matt Wilson of Comics Alliance fame) but it doesn't always concentrate entirely on comics.

Aside from that, I'm quite curious to hear any other recommendations myself.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Cape Crisis is the best comics podcast.

Comic Geek Speak can be wonderfully informative and is hosted by incredibly nice, great guys (whom I've met at their own con), but MAN is it boring like 90% of the time. Their Spotlight On episodes are great.

Major Spoilers suffers from the same problems as CGS. Most comic podcasts do, in fact. Except Cape Crisis.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Any podcast, books, our interviews that go into the editorial process behind comics? Mainly interested in big two and shared world stuff, how they figure it what to focus on and managing the writers and artists

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Metal Loaf posted:

I enjoy Rachel & Miles X-Plain the X-Men, though that's obviously very focused on a particular corner of the universe; it's probably the only one I would make a point of listening to every week. I sometimes listen to War Rocket Ajax (featuring Chris Sims and Matt Wilson of Comics Alliance fame) but it doesn't always concentrate entirely on comics.

Aside from that, I'm quite curious to hear any other recommendations myself.

Those are the only two that I only listen to, also, and WRA only because of Every Story Ever.

I feel like I should pimp the podcast my friend appears on frequently, though I've only listened to one or two episodes and they didn't really grab my attention. I know they have Skottie Young on there pretty frequently.
http://comicnerdsunite.com/wp/

I think I have a problem with podcasts talking about such a visual medium, though I don't have much of an issue listening to podcasts about movies.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
House to Astonish is my hands-down favorite, but unfortunately they've been on hiatus since June. Paul O'Brien's acerbic commentary combined with Al Kennedy's enthusiasm gives an appropriately skeptical tone when it comes to comics news, but also with a genuine love of the medium to balance it out.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
At the beginning of Hickman's Avengers, that's Ock-Spidey being a dick, yeah?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Beerdeer posted:

At the beginning of Hickman's Avengers, that's Ock-Spidey being a dick, yeah?
Yah.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

"I spit in that."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

http://wordballoon.com is the true jam if you like creator interviews.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Have Alfred and Commissioner Gorden ever had a team-up issue?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why do so many of the early Spider-Man comics characters have cornrows? Off the top of my head, Green Goblin, Harry Osborne, and Sandman have the same weirdo haircut. Did 60s white guys really ever wear their hair that way, or was it just easy to draw? And in the case of Norman and Harry, did Ditko think that haircuts were heritable?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jack Gladney posted:

Why do so many of the early Spider-Man comics characters have cornrows? Off the top of my head, Green Goblin, Harry Osborne, and Sandman have the same weirdo haircut. Did 60s white guys really ever wear their hair that way, or was it just easy to draw? And in the case of Norman and Harry, did Ditko think that haircuts were heritable?

In Chapter One John Byrne said that Sandman and the Osbornes were related due to the haircut

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

In Chapter One John Byrne said that Sandman and the Osbornes were related due to the haircut

Did he also want to make Magneto related to Uncle Ben and the guy who molested Spider-Man as a kid?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jack Gladney posted:

That was certainly a hairstyle used by guys with tightly-curled hair. And haircuts aren't heritable, but the nature of the hair can be.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Jack Gladney posted:

It's combed back wavey hair, not cornrows.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's a picture of a dude who has Osborne hair in real life that I've seen posted here a couple times, I think he's a state legislator or city council member somewhere. If someone has it, it helped me realize what that hair must look like in real life.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The "weird" hair thing doesn't help that Osborn was effectively Tommy Lee Jones with corn rows for a while.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

It's combed back wavey hair, not cornrows.

Mind blown. It's just brill-creamed curly hair, like dudes from the 40's:

This is crazier than when I learned what Jughead's hat was, or the dots on Dagwood's chest.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

Mind blown. It's just brill-creamed curly hair, like dudes from the 40's:

This is crazier than when I learned what Jughead's hat was, or the dots on Dagwood's chest.

Do tell.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

What's this about Dagwood?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Soonmot posted:

Do tell.

Jughead's hat is a thing kids used to do, they would take an old fedora that their dads couldn't use anymore, cut up the brim in a jagged line and then use pins to stick it up in a crown shape.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Jughead's hat is a thing kids used to do, they would take an old fedora that their dads couldn't use anymore, cut up the brim in a jagged line and then use pins to stick it up in a crown shape.

Huh, I thought someone actually made those hats back in the 40's, but that might have come after the character.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Do tell.

Sorry. They're big buttons left over from when he wore a tuxedo in the Depression. He got changed to an office drone in the 40s, but his cummerbund and buttons stayed because nobody knew what they were supposed to be.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Sorry this is old, but I'm catching up on the thread.

My wife loves Martian Manhunter, but the Essentials (or equivalent) I got her she found pretty boring. Is the Ostrander run above collected in trades?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

A Strange Aeon posted:

My wife loves Martian Manhunter, but the Essentials (or equivalent) I got her she found pretty boring. Is the Ostrander run above collected in trades?
There are two trades that collect up to #17. Volume 2 just came out so hopefully two more are forthcoming.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Strange Aeon posted:

They recently started issuing new collections of his run. One came out a few months ago, the second is hitting in Dec.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

What was the name of the issues where The Flash's Rogues Gallery comes back to find they've been replaced and it doesn't work out to well for the new guys or "pretenders" , I remeber Captain Cold particularly being badass.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hollismason posted:

What was the name of the issues where The Flash's Rogues Gallery comes back to find they've been replaced and it doesn't work out to well for the new guys or "pretenders" , I remeber Captain Cold particularly being badass.

Rogue's Revenge, part of Final Crisis

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's also an issue of the Flash where Cold confronts the current user of his tech going by the name Chillblaine. Len deals with him in a pretty disturbing way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

There's also an issue of the Flash where Cold confronts the current user of his tech going by the name Chillblaine. Len deals with him in a pretty disturbing way.

Its issue Flash 182. He was going after him since he killed his sister

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

StumblyWumbly posted:

Any podcast, books, our interviews that go into the editorial process behind comics? Mainly interested in big two and shared world stuff, how they figure it what to focus on and managing the writers and artists

Definitely some episodes of Inkstuds you should check out, especially the recent Bob Schreck interview.

Did nobody say Wait, What? I really like Wait, What?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I really wanted to like Wait, What? but between the genuinely cool comic discussions they'll go off on like a twenty-minute discussion of their favorite waffle house and I just ran out of patience because A) it was pretty boring and B) it kept making me hungry for waffles.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I really wanted to like Wait, What? but between the genuinely cool comic discussions they'll go off on like a twenty-minute discussion of their favorite waffle house and I just ran out of patience because A) it was pretty boring and B) it kept making me hungry for waffles.

The Portland Problem.

Too many Waffle Windows.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

What do people get out of podcasts? I'm not being obtuse, there's a few non-comics ones I listen to, but my wife wants to start one.

Most of the comics ones I've seen are multi hour affairs. They all tend to get rambly and off topic. The podcasts I like are generally shorter, less than an hour at least. They usually end up off topic too, but get back on track quicker.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

What do people get out of podcasts? I'm not being obtuse, there's a few non-comics ones I listen to, but my wife wants to start one.

Most of the comics ones I've seen are multi hour affairs. They all tend to get rambly and off topic. The podcasts I like are generally shorter, less than an hour at least. They usually end up off topic too, but get back on track quicker.

I initially took your question as being broader than I think you mean.

The podcasts I like tend to be tightly focused. I don't like the "three to four nerds go on forever about their topic" casts at all; those kinds of shows are bad enough when they're run by actually entertaining people. I want a show to be about something more than catching up on the hosts lives over the past week. Whether that's by having a format that keeps things moving and on track or by using narrow topics to reign things in. Thirty minutes to an hour seems to me to be the best length of a podcast since it'll generally fit nicely into your life. And I know this is just me, but I hate the "what happened this week in our nerd niche" kind of podcast.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
30-60 minutes, tight focus. I don't give a poo poo about whatever local BS you're going on about and will stop listening. Have a topic, stick to that topic.

Then again, the only podcasts I listen to are Star Talk, Nightvale, Thrilling Adventure Hour and, sometimes, How Did This Get Made.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

That jibes pretty exactly with what I was thinking.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
I'm trying to work my way through Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers and have made it to the Prelude to Infinity trade. While I like the New Avengers quite a bit, I find Avengers to be a total slog. Does it get better and should I continue? If I'm not feelin' it at this point, should I just walk away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I walked away from it, though I peeked at Avengers during Original Sin, and felt absolutely validated in walking away. It just strikes me as a terrible example of the nerd tendency to mistake worldbuilding for storytelling.