Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Jesus Christ, dudes, we know next to nothing about the plot and the characters. Don't get hung up about initial concepts that were shown and might have changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah don't freak out about data-mined stuff from parts of the game that isn't actually done or in the parts we have access to yet. It's pointless and dumb.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Scorchy posted:

- Non-spellcasters get some love at character creation now, they previously had their core abilities auto-assigned to them (Knockdown on Fighter, for instance), but now they all get at least 2 paths to spec their character at the start.

Fighters - Knockdown (active) or Armored Grace (passive to reduce armor speed penalty)
Barbarians - Carnage (AE melee hits) or Barbaric Yell (AE fear)
Paladin - Flames of Devotion (+fire dmg) or Lay on Hands
Monk - Swift Strikes (+attack speed) or Turning Wheel (passive, +burn dmg per wound)
Rogue - Crippling Strike or Blinding Strike
Ranger - Swift Aim or Crippling Shot
BTW this now happens every other level. A 12th level fighter, rogue, barbarian, etc. can have a completely different set of class abilities than another character of the same class. You pick between class Abilities on odd levels and Talents on even levels. You can actually build a fighter with no active use abilities (or entirely active use abilities) if you want to. Most will likely have a mix.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

In case people haven't experimented much with personal buff spells, most of them are now short cast with short recoveries. Some spells/powers now have instant recovery (e.g. Frenzy and most weapon-creating spells).

Also has anyone made a Bleak Walker with The Black Path and Remember Rakhan Field yet? :kiddo:

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Luckily I scavenged code off other people that unlocks Level 12 and re-allows console cheats ... gonna cheat some chars up to level 12 and test this out :)

edit: Paladin auras are bugged atm and keep disabling themselves. Avoiding making Paladins atm.

The no recovery buffs are nice - I always use the Fighter personal buff at the start of combat now.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Drifter posted:

I absolutely loving hated this as well, and hearing from designers and the like that you pretty much needed to prebuff before fights was a kick in the nuts, it just feels like metagame cheating that needs to be done - and it was boring.

There's gotta be better ways than that poo poo. Maybe you could simulcast a buff with a non-buff spell and have it cost half again as much magic points than on its own or something. I don't know. Or a buff contingency spell that you can pre-cast out of combat that requires sustained spellpoints while it's set or something that casts when you see an enemy. I don't know, I've not really thought about solutions to my annoyance.

Would one way to fix this be to give characters a couple "combat buff" slots where you set the spells/abilities you want use when combat starts? The only real downside I can see is that there might be times when you don't want things to cast immediately, but that potential issue is probably a decent trade-off for not having to do a bunch of pre-buffing or doing the same thing at the beginning of every combat.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sensuki posted:

Oh wow that's actually an IRL name ... fancy that. Ignore previous comment then.

But still

Lament Cadegund.

Cherry Venus.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Having played the new beta build for a bit, I'm mighty pleased for the most part. It is hard to put my finger on what it is exactly, but it felt a lot more complete during combat and interaction.

The only thing I'd hope could be changed is if all the new talents got sorted under categories or tabs or something, because right now the only way to figure out what most stuff does is by clicking through it directly, since not all of them are all that obvious.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

rope kid posted:

I think people are giving good feedback, but I did not say that and I sure as poo poo did not make these changes for that reason.

I sincerely apologize if I annoyed you, I did not mean it that way.

I interpreted what you said: "In watching how people play PoE, skill advancement was bordering on mindless. Every player I watched simply mashed one skill for their chosen character, effectively making it a non-choice." as watching people play and seeing them do it not as it is intended. English is not my first language and it may have come across more confrontational than it was ment.

I don't know how to say it any better so I will put it bluntly: If people want to be stupid and put it all in one skill, let them. Clever players will figure it out and distribute their points. I just think would be a shame to limit flexibility for all players because some "don't get it".

I am really sorry if I came across as insulting.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is anyone else auto-starting combat when entering the Skaen dungeon? My party's staying in combat the whole time because of my "boar companion" and when combat starts, it zooms really far out to somewhere in the FoW. I don't have a ranger and the behavior persists on load/reload.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Hopper posted:

I sincerely apologize if I annoyed you, I did not mean it that way.

I interpreted what you said: "In watching how people play PoE, skill advancement was bordering on mindless. Every player I watched simply mashed one skill for their chosen character, effectively making it a non-choice." as watching people play and seeing them do it not as it is intended. English is not my first language and it may have come across more confrontational than it was ment.

I don't know how to say it any better so I will put it bluntly: If people want to be stupid and put it all in one skill, let them. Clever players will figure it out and distribute their points. I just think would be a shame to limit flexibility for all players because some "don't get it".

I am really sorry if I came across as insulting.

I think the point was that clever players were putting all of their points in one skill, because it was the most effective way to do it. That's pretty boring.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Ravenfood posted:

Is anyone else auto-starting combat when entering the Skaen dungeon? My party's staying in combat the whole time because of my "boar companion" and when combat starts, it zooms really far out to somewhere in the FoW. I don't have a ranger and the behavior persists on load/reload.

That bug was present in the last build as well.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

What about skill gated options after options gated by another skill established early? Granted that might get people angry at skill optimization, but if the first skill tests in a conversation go best if you actually have points in more than one skill, I think that might disincentivize minmaxy skill builds. I think part of it might be testing, since it's easiest to just iterate through a run focusing on each skill in turn. However, if hypothetically rather than each skill having pedestrian low skill stuff and a few special moments for really high skill, there were a memorable thing for mixes of stats, that might help offset the feeling that there's more reward for maxing out one skill.

That's just an idea though, no idea what the problems making it work well are or how big they would be.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

glomkettle posted:

I think the point was that clever players were putting all of their points in one skill, because it was the most effective way to do it. That's pretty boring.

The game design encourages it though. If you don't invest in the maximum points of a skill, you will miss out on the higher options available for that skill in scripted interactions, combat and environmental interaction. The reason I choose to max a skill is to experience those options.

If the game design had unique options for mixed skills (such as "The PC must have 4 in Mechanics AND 4 in Lore to unlock this option") then I would do it ... but I haven't seen anything to encourage me doing this yet.

Players are used to maxing something because the other option is almost never rewarded at all, or often enough to worth considering.

The problem is the RPG Design in general - not the way skills are chosen by the player.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 26, 2014

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

glomkettle posted:

I think the point was that clever players were putting all of their points in one skill, because it was the most effective way to do it.

I dont know, in a game that is going out of its way to have both high and low skill check thresholds putting all your points into one skill doesn't seem very clever.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

FRINGE posted:

Why change this?

Her feet were too big for a female, sorry.

As for the skill/talent changes, yeah, it sucks to have stuff be different like that while keeping the skill checks the same.

But what if they don't keep the skill checks the same? It isn't done yet, and skill checks seem like something that'd be finalized soon before release, after all.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Drifter posted:

So Cadegund is a guy now? Wasn't she an awesome gun-paladin or something?

What's going on?

This sucks.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
So first Cadegund was a party member, then just a normal NPC, now I hear she's no longer even a badass lady?

#cadegate

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
THank god, my verisimilitude was almost threatened for a second there.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Sensuki posted:

The game design encourages it though. If you don't invest in the maximum points of a skill, you will miss out on the higher options available for that skill in scripted interactions, combat and environmental interaction.
What is the point of a linear scaling skill, really

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Anyone finding the enemies a lot tougher than before? The spectres in the western dungeon were completely pushing my poo poo in, I was barely doing any damage to them and they swarm like 6-8 at a time. Then I tried going into the Skaen dungeon and the archers there were back to being murder machines. They targetted my squishy backlines and were basically 2 or 3-shotting them with long range sneak attacks.

My own BB rogue was doing maybe 1/4th of that on sneak attacks if I could get them off, died every fight, and her Escape skill doesn't seem to work reliably. Sometimes she just wouldn't go anywhere, sometimes she teleported halfway to the target site.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

All(?) enemies have higher defenses and accuracy than before. So, yes.

Escape is broken, you crash into other creatures if they are in your path, and you also crash into the edge of the navmesh if you do it over a rock or something.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Sensuki posted:

The game design encourages it though. If you don't invest in the maximum points of a skill, you will miss out on the higher options available for that skill in scripted interactions, combat and environmental interaction. The reason I choose to max a skill is to experience those options.

If the game design had unique options for mixed skills (such as "The PC must have 4 in Mechanics AND 4 in Lore to unlock this option") then I would do it ... but I haven't seen anything to encourage me doing this yet.

Players are used to maxing something because the other option is almost never rewarded at all, or often enough to worth considering.

The problem is the RPG Design in general - not the way skills are chosen by the player.

They could settle for a (must have 5 total points in Mechanics and Lore). That way you accommodate people who maximize one skill and people who spread out. You still run into the fact that combat talents mainly give Athletics and nothing else though.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

But I don't want skills to be tied to talents. Like I said, it creates an unfun choice between playing the character you want for combat, or the character you want for roleplaying out of combat.

[why-can't-we-have-both-mexican-taco-girl.gif]

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013
There are other loading screens in the game files for areas that aren't in the beta(the filenames begin with lsc_) for example the loading screens for the stronghold and the mega dungeon:
Od Nua:

Stronghold:

Sensuki posted:

But I don't want skills to be tied to talents. Like I said, it creates an unfun choice between playing the character you want for combat, or the character you want for roleplaying out of combat.

But it's the same with attributes, playing a cipher with low Intellect and might, but with high res and perception and using the aoe damage powers isn't a good idea.

prometheus12345 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 27, 2014

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

The fact that attributes are currently imbalanced for classes/trap choices are possible should not dictate whether the skill and talent design is the same.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
That's not what he said and even if it was it wouldn't be true. There's no trap attributes for classes right now.

Also as long as they skill-only talents are removed the system works - just instead of having to choose "how to spec your combat" and "how to spec your out of combat" at the same time you choose between "I decide what to take based on out-of-combat effect and shape my combat around it" and "I decide what I take based on the combat effects and determine my out-of-combat effects that way".

The latter system is simpler, requires less foreknowledge of the underlying system and upcoming game and also leads to far more "believable" skill layouts - no one-skill focuses and more multiple smaller peaks related to what the character actually does. On the other hand it can't be manipulated as easily by someone who does have knowledge of the system and game.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 27, 2014

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Sensuki posted:

The fact that attributes are currently imbalanced for classes/trap choices are possible should not dictate whether the skill and talent design is the same.

I was not talking about trap/imbalanced choices, but that you need to change your playstyle a bit if you choose different attributes. A low might and high resolve cipher should use more debuffs and a low resolve/high might should use more direct damage spells.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

That's not what he said and even if it was it wouldn't be true. There's no trap attributes for classes right now.

Yes there is - dump Perception to 3 on any character.

quote:

You choose between "I decide what to take based on out-of-combat effect and shape my combat around it" and "I decide what I take based on the combat effects and determine my out-of-combat effects that way".

The latter system is simpler, requires less foreknowledge of the underlying system and upcoming game and also leads to far more "believable" skill layouts - no one-skill focuses and more multiple smaller peaks related to what the character actually does. On the other hand it can't be manipulated as easily by someone who does have knowledge of the system and game.

I don't want to do that. I also play on Hard so I need to pick optimal talent choices for combat. I disagree that the new system requires less foreknowledge of the skill system - it is unconventional, so the player may not immediately realize they are even making a choice. There's nothing wrong with one-skill focuses and the bit about "what the character actually does" is a tall order, some of the skill bonuses might make sense but not all of them - Bull's Strength or whatever grants +2 to Lore ... hahah.

I couldn't give a rats that it's more simulationist, I don't LARP when I play games.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sensuki posted:

I couldn't give a rats that it's more simulationist, I don't LARP when I play games.

You take them much more seriously than that.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Sensuki posted:

Yes there is - dump Perception to 3 on any character.

Isn't perception used a lot in dialogues though?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

I think so. My point is that dumping Perception below 10 on pretty much any character is a really bad idea, particularly in the latest patch as enemies have increased defenses across the board.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Still workable on buffing and healing focused characters and other characters still work offensively if you make someone else in the party debuff enemy defenses. Not to mention 10 being the starting value for an attribute and the values being negative is a pretty huge "drop this at your own risk" sign.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

Still workable on buffing and healing focused characters and other characters still work offensively if you make someone else in the party debuff enemy defenses. Not to mention 10 being the starting value for an attribute and the values being negative is a pretty huge "drop this at your own risk" sign.

Yeah, dumping stats that low isn't really a trap as much as just poor judgement. Bringing a near-sighted character into battle is gonna suck, no matter how smart or strong he is.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Krowley posted:

Yeah, dumping stats that low isn't really a trap as much as just poor judgement. Bringing a near-sighted character into battle is gonna suck, no matter how smart or strong he is.

Please don't zatoichi-shame.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Drifter posted:

So Cadegund is a guy now? Wasn't she an awesome gun-paladin or something?

What's going on?

Wait.

What?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sensuki posted:

I don't LARP when I play games.

Well no, because video games are not live action, so no one LARPs while playing them. Do you mean you don't role play?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chairchucker posted:

Well no, because video games are not live action, so no one LARPs while playing them. Do you mean you don't role play?

He roleplays as an unfettered A.I. program intent on dominating a system rather than enjoying it.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

There's only one character class focused on that - The Priest. It's probably the only class you could do it with and it would still be a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
Not having the beta makes it really hard to judge how well this new system works, and the wiki is pretty out of date (don't envy the guys updating that, with the ground moving out from under them every few weeks, heh). But I'm trying to imagine how various skills might be available to, say, a fighter under this system.

Are there lots of new talents that are based on knowledge to give lore? Perhaps talents where the fighter gets point or two of armour penetration from studying the designs of different armours, or gets defense by studying the traditional fighting styles of various cultures or animals toi better predict their attacks?

How can fighters get mechanics? Can it be justified that, perhaps knockdown, based on an understanding of balance and momentum, might grant + mechanics? Perhaps a talent offering a chance to resist knockdown effects for the same reasons? Maybe a talent that gives better criticals against armoured opponents by understanding the way the plates of their armour move and how to angle in an attack at the joints?

What sort of combat ability might grant a fighter survival? Maybe... learning to coat a weapon with natural poison harvested from the wild? Hard to think of much...

How about Stealth? Maybe... a feinting attack could be considered to use misdirection and so grant stealth? Bit of a stretch.

If talents are the only way skills can be built up, then it's going to take a LOT of talents, and possibly some fairly flimsy justifications within them, in order to present adequate selections of talents to each class that will allow every class to built skills the way they want.

• Locked thread