Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

My favorite part of the episode was when the alliance started getting swayed by Yongsuk and had to hold an emergency meeting just to stick to their original plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Err

Ma

Gerrd

Just watched the first episode. That mental breakdown in the deathmatch.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Episode 4 is up but I have to go to work. I guess it will have to wait. :(

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
S3E04: Thought the Deathmatch was an interesting variation on something they've done before. Also was a bit surprised that several people gave up their black garnets so easily.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

I think they gave up their black garnets a) largely out of curiosity and b) because they wanted Dongmin in the deathmatch. I reallllly liked that deathmatch, though. Excellent.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
A bit disappointing how Hweejong didn't seem to count the cards during the deathmatch. How do you become an MIT math professor and not count cards?

A pretty good episode and Dongmin continues to be the best.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Please, someone, kill off that little poo poo Hyunmin and his strategy of railroading anyone remotely interesting into elimination.

Oh well. You tried sticking up to them, Hweejong.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

A bit disappointing how Hweejong didn't seem to count the cards during the deathmatch. How do you become an MIT math professor and not count cards?

A pretty good episode and Dongmin continues to be the best.

He was obviously planning on it, but the information was too limited. Even with what they knew there were some big holes.

These guys might be the most conservative betters they've had on the show yet.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I think it's pretty interesting that the main match didn't even last half the episode. Were it not for the black garnet mission stuff, the producers would've been SOL for getting a full episode out of this one...

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The deathmatch was a good concept, but it played out very boringly.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm amazed that they actually managed to design a main match more volatile then the go/pass one from season 2, just wow. :bravo:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Dragonatrix posted:

I think it's pretty interesting that the main match didn't even last half the episode. Were it not for the black garnet mission stuff, the producers would've been SOL for getting a full episode out of this one...

Nah, they just would have told a different story. The story they told here was Yeonseung was the leader and afraid of dying after being hit several times, Ahyoung correctly intuited that Hweejong was the leader. They could have easily told another side to make it longer, like Dongmin wanting to kill Yeonseung and failing, with the focus on Dongmin repeatedly telling Hweejong never to bluff, because he's the leader, and playing up the rivalry between Dongmin/Hweejong. Between the interview footage, after effects inserts, flashbacks (of which there were none today), and other fun things, it's surprisingly easy to fill ten more minutes of TV.

They had too much footage this week because of the Black Mission, which caused them to speed through the Main Match.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

They had too much footage this week because of the Black Mission, which caused them to speed through the Main Match.

The main match was 5 moves long, there was nothing to speed trough. It can't possibly have lasted for more then 20 minutes even without the editing.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 26, 2014

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

The main match had potential to be much twistier but everyone pretty much played it straight. C'mon, really, everyone equipped shields to their left hands and weapons to the right? I was hoping Hweejong had started blocking with his weapon arm and then revealed his OTHER arm to be the actual shield arm when the block uses were up for a good Extreme Ways moment.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 26, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tonfa posted:

The main match had potential to be much twistier but everyone pretty much played it straight. C'mon, really, everyone equipped shields to their left hands and weapons to the right? I was hoping Hweejong had started blocking with his weapon arm and then revealed his OTHER arm to be the actual shield arm when the block uses were up for a good Extreme Ways moment.

I expected that as one of the basic strategies. Bluff early when they're less likely to call, be honest later when they think they've figured you out.

Which takes us into the death match since neither of them apparently understood bluffing.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Tonfa posted:

Please, someone, kill off that little poo poo Hyunmin and his strategy of railroading anyone remotely interesting into elimination..

He's the worst and I'm amazed at how perfectly the teams were split between the people I like and the people who, ehhhhhhh.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
I mean he's playing the game well for what its worth.

Also goddamn Dongmin never misses a beat. Hweejeong is still a dick for being offended that it was Ahyoung that pegged him. Junghoon played it pretty perfectly, but it definitely helped that a pro poker player coached him to count cards. Its probably close to impossible to focus on the game and count that many cards through sheer memory.

Cute n Popular fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 26, 2014

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Tonfa posted:

Please, someone, kill off that little poo poo Hyunmin and his strategy of railroading anyone remotely interesting into elimination.

Oh well. You tried sticking up to them, Hweejong.

How would you call this railroading? :confused: I seem to like the people everyone else here hates and dislike everyone popular. Hweejong yet again became a douchey useless poo poo, but still only got picked because their team lost and he was the leader. The last 2 guys to get eliminated really deserved it. Eastern medicine doc was the only one who was railroaded just for being too passive, but while Hyunmin came up with the plan he certainly didn't carry it out alone.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Corn Thongs you got the wrong opinions on Korean game show folks

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Let's fight right now

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
If you're not rooting for Yeoseong then you're dead to me. :colbert:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I'm ready to throw down to defend my posting honor at any time

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

We all agree it's ridiculous that Yeonjoo is still around though right?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Yeonjoo doesn't seem like she's great at the games but I hope she lasts because she's got a personality, bump off the guy who survived the deathmatch who's name I don't even remember or Ahyoung if you want to get rid of someone.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hat Thoughts posted:

He's the worst and I'm amazed at how perfectly the teams were split between the people I like and the people who, ehhhhhhh.

Yoohyun's cool, he's right behind Dongmin and about tied with Sujin as personal favorites. I don't mind Hyunmin so far, it's just playing the game to aim for competitors early - the answer for that's exactly what Dongmin did when they called him in for the meeting with the whole "I've got nothing to offer you, but I'm going to win and I'll be gunning for you if you put me up there" stuff.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Pretty disappointed at the main game there. The game itself sounded interesting but the way it played out was just underwhelming. Both teams randomly guessed the opposing leader right away, we didn't see any betrayals (which the game was basically set up to facilitate), we didn't see much strategy in spreading out their weapons, there were bluffs and calls but they didn't seem particularly impressive and just generally the whole thing seemed over way too quick.

My idea for an alternate version:

Replace Leaders with Jokers.
Make the game about wiping out the other team rather than hitting the Leader.
Weapon distribution is the same.
Normal players aren't allowed to bluff about their weapon, but Jokers are allowed to bluff about their weapon.

Don't know how that would play out but I think it would have more strategy in it and it would never end in the first 5 turns. Maybe the game they designed normally plays out better and they just got unlucky this time, hard to say really but I do think the game could've been designed better.

Black Mission and deathmatch were interesting though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Chainsawdomy posted:

We all agree it's ridiculous that Yeonjoo is still around though right?

she's cute and her incredible lack of acting ability/getting basic concepts of the game is amusing

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
To be fair, I misunderstood the main match in the exact same way she did.

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun
I liked that those little narrated moral-of-the-episode things that happened whenever someone was eliminated in season 1 showed up again. I don't think they've used them since then. Though I remember barely anything of season 2.

Dongmin's speech at the beginning definitely seemed to come from wanting the contestants to be more sly and interesting, but nobody seemed to have heeded it, unfortunately.

I don't really pay much attention to potential game strategies, but lying about your sword being a shield so when they doubt your second shield they die seemed a really obvious one that was never capitalised on.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Her apparent naïveté and allying herself with the right people (admittedly often through chance) has served her well so far, at this point I just want to see how far she'll get on that alone.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I don't know why people would single out Yeonjoo when Junghoon's done nothing strategically except for the week he did nothing strategically and immediately outed himself as a criminal. At least Yeonjoo's thrown a few people off. Also re: Junghoon the deathmatch win was at least 80% executing the card counting method Yoohyun showed him - not that he shouldn't have won, he outplayed Hweejong, but he had way better assistance

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Her apparent naïveté and allying herself with the right people (admittedly often through chance) has served her well so far, at this point I just want to see how far she'll get on that alone.

She reminds me of Eunji in S1. I kept secretly hoping she was Keyser Sozeing her way through the games as well

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Dongmin and Sujin are definitely top tier

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
I really can't believe that, People are praising that deathmatch game, that was loving terrible. "Oh I've got a card that your card obviously can't beat welp I guess I get 1/6 of the chips in play for free". Also I'm sad that Hweejong had to go, but I'm glad Dongmin will live another day.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Thought the main match was underwhelming indeed, the fact that both teams immediately pinned down the opposition's leader by barely anything and nothing respectively pretty much showed that. Actually I thought it was kinda a bullshit lucky win - yes, both teams initially went for their targets basically off nothing but random intuition, BUT the way Yeongseung and his team reacted basically confirmed he was the leader completely, between them losing their masks a bit when he first got attacked, the tons of team-talking they needed, and actually trying to block. Meanwhile the other team was basically gambling it was Hweejong over Dongmin until the end since the losing team had way better poker-faces, and they also completely spuriously ruled out Junghoon. The fact that the team could lose despite getting the first elimination AND doing a far better job at using the game to confirm the opponents' leader is just terrible. If shields had 6 or 9 or whatever defense instead, they'd have a huge advantage, but being able to basically get bursted down, as the gamer in me thought of it, completely removed that advantage. In fact, the ONLY thing deciding that game was which team went first and therefore got the first chance to deal 4 damage. Yeah you could call on double swords, but that's just pure guesswork that early on with absolutely no 'genius' or other way of getting an edge, as seen by BOTH double sword situations in the game being reacted to wrongly. Real dumb.

Thought the deathmatch was fine though. But man, I wish there'd be one like it with both sides card-counting once.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Power of Pecota posted:

I don't know why people would single out Yeonjoo when Junghoon's done nothing strategically except for the week he did nothing strategically and immediately outed himself as a criminal. At least Yeonjoo's thrown a few people off. Also re: Junghoon the deathmatch win was at least 80% executing the card counting method Yoohyun showed him - not that he shouldn't have won, he outplayed Hweejong, but he had way better assistance
Junghoon was quite sharp at Hap Gyul, I was impressed how well he did. Of course, he missed the most obvious one, the first one I saw, but he found a lot of others I wasn't seeing and was quite impressive at it.

Dongmin owns and Sunji is really cool too. I like how she was just asking to go to the death match, not sure it made sense but she impressed me with it

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I think they just need to stop picking games which feature bluffing for main matches, because almost everyone on the cast except Dongmin and Hyunmin are abjectly terrible at it. Incidentally, they're the two I'm most rooting for now that Hweejong is gone. That deathmatch game was kind of gross, I didn't really care for it.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I don't get why Sujin basically volunteered for the deathmatch. Is she tired of it too? It's not great that potentially multiple players so far are basically wanting to get out.

Main Match was terrible. Really, really bad. If someone actually had switched (as the reward structure incentivized) the game would've been over immediately if everyone focus-fired. How could anyone possibly think this would be a good game.

Death Match was reasonable but I was kind of disappointed over the result. On the other hand, the "twist" rule of double betting never actually came into play, so no Extreme Ways moment.

Dongmin, Hyunmin, Ahyoung, and Mentality King are my favs right now.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Mentality King became really funny and charming all of a sudden in this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
The poker player is pretty slick but I really haven't noticed the presence of the online webcomic artist, actually he reminds me of Poong.