Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

OwlFancier posted:

If they do improve the ship variant system, it'd be nice if we could get some changes to the weapon hardpoints too. Some with more or fewer, some with bigger or smaller, or different types.

They're sort of doing that now - the Gemini variants have different mounts (the pirate one is ballistic) and I think the Mules are different too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

AtillatheBum posted:

Has anyone seen that Tri-Tach Apogee(sp?) Cruiser spawn in game or in a store? I really want one but I can't even find a fleet with one, let alone a station. Same goes for the Conquest Battlecruiser.

Also, do specific fleets resupply stations with new ships or is it just a random spawn over time?

I saw one but it requires Cooperative to buy. I want it because as hilarious as the Onslaught is I'd rather let my NPC crew drive it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dominators with 3 Harpoon pods are just hilarious. Get anything close to overload and volley off some missiles, NEXT!

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

AtillatheBum posted:

Has anyone seen that Tri-Tach Apogee(sp?) Cruiser spawn in game or in a store? I really want one but I can't even find a fleet with one, let alone a station. Same goes for the Conquest Battlecruiser.

Also, do specific fleets resupply stations with new ships or is it just a random spawn over time?

I bought mine at Tibicena.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Arrath posted:

Dominators with 3 Harpoon pods are just hilarious. Get anything close to overload and volley off some missiles, NEXT!
Triple Annihilator pods are amazing as well. Nothing like filling all of space with dumbfire rockets. :getin:
If you've got access to extended missile racks, you don't even have to worry about running out of ammo either.

Kenshin posted:

I saw one but it requires Cooperative to buy. I want it because as hilarious as the Onslaught is I'd rather let my NPC crew drive it.
Do you remember what faction had these? I assumed the Sindrians would stock Apogees and Conquests, but I haven't seen them for sale so far.
Edit: ^ Thanks!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Exodee posted:

Triple Annihilator pods are amazing as well. Nothing like filling all of space with dumbfire rockets. :getin:
If you've got access to extended missile racks, you don't even have to worry about running out of ammo either.

A good offense is a good defense! Or something like that. The reason why I like the Annihilators (medium or small) is that they eat shots. They eat missiles, they eat Maulers they eat Hellbores - anything incoming gets swallowed by a wall of rockets. They reduce incoming damage in the front arc, overwhelm PD and shields and hit incredibly hard.

Try to face an Onslaught that is filling the entire front arc with Rockets and its guns. Its a bad idea =P

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

scalded schlong posted:

For people playing Uomoz's Sector on the previous version, are there any ships worth modifying? Most of them just let you change the ship's aggressiveness but surely there must be some that let you change up the ship layout? I mostly tool around in hitech ships, I don't know if it's all lowtech ships that get the most interesting changes or something.

There are several but I tended to use mid tech ships. Generally if a ship says it's a derivative or variant of another, you can move between them, a lot of the improvised ships are buildable from other hulls.

DatonKallandor posted:

They're sort of doing that now - the Gemini variants have different mounts (the pirate one is ballistic) and I think the Mules are different too.

Oh? I didn't know there were different Geminis. If there was one with energy/universal mounts and a better flux dissipation I might buy it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Wait. I loved the Conquest broadside Battlecruiser. Are there multiple variants of those now?

Or better but similar classes of ships? I loved having it as my flag ship. It was fast and the ability to turn on a dime when needed as a capital ship was amazing.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Unfortunately no. You can find out all the variants of ships by clicking on the question mark of one of your ships in the Fleet tab and the menu on the left will show them in alphabetical order. This update mostly added (D) versions as well as having a Buffalo variant for each faction. Probably proof of concept for now; modders can expand on it while the dev works on the next update.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

It's also for flavour since they all look slightly different which makes fleets more visually pleasing :v

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!
Speaking of dumbfire missiles, I really love the new and improved reapers. Before, I felt like they were pretty limited because their speed made them easy to dodge/shoot down before they got to you. Then, yesterday, I was in a standup firefight with an enforcer and it lobbed one at me. "poo poo poo poo poo poo that is faster!" Later I came up against some vigilance class frigates with the medium reaper pod (typhoon?) mounted on them, resulting in a couple of very close calls and some serious hull damage. Now my harassment frigates run that setup.

I think the change is great. Reapers are now viable in more situations rather than just a good finisher/punishment for overloading. You have to be a bit more on your toes around ships equipping them, either conserving your flux to block a shot or ready to dodge. On the other hand, I think their low ammo, limited range, and unguided nature means that they're not overpowered.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
I got a reaper surprise earlier from a Vigilance too. It was just out of my firing range so I started venting, suddenly to see a reaper screaming towards me and hitting my broadside. It was thoroughly unpleasant.

For a game like Starsector semi-random generation of loadouts/colour schemes/mountings would go a long way for adding diversity. Being able to paint your ships or make slight modifications to mounts should really be a thing.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Are there any plans to implement fleet protocols? I find that my smaller ships are too hesitant to engage even when I have the full attention of the hostile ship.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Where the hell can I buy Needlers? I haven't seen them anywhere.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Bold Robot posted:

Hegemony military suppliers in Jangala/Corvus sell them, you need cooperative rep to buy them.

e: Haven't seen any for sale on the black market, can't check pirate bases for obvious reasons :v:

mirarant fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 26, 2014

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

I've seen the whole line for sale on Sindria.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Laffo, I found a bug. Turns out although ships will be marked as needing certain levels of relationship with a faction to buy, you can still buy them anyway by clicking the credit icon.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

How can I get the ID of a station? I am really pissed off that the stations are not stocked with at least some basic ships for me right now. I would like to use the console to restock them.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How are you guys outfitting your Wolves? I've been rolling with the standard graviton/tac laser/harpoon build, curious if anyone has found anything better.

Also, is it just me or does the AI seem like it has gotten worse about not getting in between you and your target?

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Michaellaneous posted:

How can I get the ID of a station? I am really pissed off that the stations are not stocked with at least some basic ships for me right now. I would like to use the console to restock them.

I really like the scarcity. Having to use what's available in a harsh environment fits the lore of being cut off from the stargate system, the few nice toys behind horded by the powers that be. Sometimes there are droughts when you don't get the ships you like but if you could just place an order for your designer fleet once you had the cash that would all but be the end of the game.

It's not even that much fun to roll around with a semi-decent fleet right now. All of the AI having green crews makes combat a joke once you're on your feet. Hopefully there's a hotfix soon (and hopefully it doesn't break saves.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

How are you guys outfitting your Wolves? I've been rolling with the standard graviton/tac laser/harpoon build, curious if anyone has found anything better.

Also, is it just me or does the AI seem like it has gotten worse about not getting in between you and your target?

Depends what you're fighting, if you're planning on taking on a small fleet with it, beams are agonizingly slow against anything with shields. I generally like to take something with a bit of bang to it like a blaster.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Bold Robot posted:

I have the stock standard starter, which I use mainly as ranged support to distract ships from range for the AI to take out. My most effective AI wolf has a grav beam, a single antimatter blaster, two harpoon racks, and a bunch of cap and vents. All the back slots are empty. It routinely takes out (obv. green) cruisers solo while I'm on another part of the map.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Cirofren posted:

I have the stock standard starter, which I use mainly as ranged support to distract ships from range for the AI to take out. My most effective AI wolf has a grav beam, a single antimatter blaster, two harpoon racks, and a bunch of cap and vents. All the back slots are empty. It routinely takes out (obv. green) cruisers solo while I'm on another part of the map.

This sounds fun as hell. Bummer antimatter blasters are so rare now. :bahgawd:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
If you like to get right in somebody's face i like annihilator launchers instead of harpoons.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Bold Robot posted:

I put an antimatter blaster and two reaper torpedoes on mine (kept the grav beam for skirmishing). Lets it punch way above its weight class, and is particularly fun if a destroyer or cruiser turns away to face another ship and you teleport right behind it.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Cirofren posted:

Throwing mining lasers into the back slots I find is pretty useful. They take only like 3 OP each, and are decent PD, as long as you give them time to do their thing.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 27, 2014

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Unreal_One posted:

Throwing mining lasers into the back slots I find is pretty useful. They take only like 3 OP each, and are decent PD, as long as you give them time to do their thing.

I've played a bit with various pd options in the simulation and it feels like missiles are tankier this patch. I didn't like the kill time on any of the laser PD and I have good rep and have been stockpiling choice salvage. Ballistic PD seems worthwhile but the wolves AI is decent at phasing to avoid, and position the shield in front of, incoming missiles (and I run them with whatever increases the shield arc enough to cover everything bar engines.)

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Cirofren posted:

I've played a bit with various pd options in the simulation and it feels like missiles are tankier this patch. I didn't like the kill time on any of the laser PD and I have good rep and have been stockpiling choice salvage. Ballistic PD seems worthwhile but the wolves AI is decent at phasing to avoid, and position the shield in front of, incoming missiles (and I run them with whatever increases the shield arc enough to cover everything bar engines.)

He upp'd the health and speed on missiles (as well as locked some shields on ships to the forward arc).

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Cruisers seem really rare. I have like 2+ million and nothing really to spend it on since I already have as many Destroyers and Frigates as I need.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Has anyone seen a Hyperion class tri tachyon frigate yet? They were always my cheatmode ship; fit one with two antimatter blasters and expanded mags, teleport behind any ship, fire both into engines, teleport away, rinse/repeat. They don't seem to be appearing in any shipyards I've been to.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
The one true loadout for the Wolf is a Heavy Blaster in front, missiles to taste, empty everything else, and maxed out caps and vents. I take Harpoons vs ships with lots of armor, Swarmers against loads of fighters, and Sabots vs ships with very efficient shields. You can bust nearly any frigate or destroyer shield with just one Heavy Blaster with maxed vents/caps. The ones you can't you charge at and pop the phase skimmer to get behind them. If you pick up augmented engines or the unstable injector, you are often fast enough to just drive around an enemy destroyer and pop them in the engine without skimming at all. Coincidentally, choosing the bounty hunter and advanced weapon start exactly gives you a wolf with a heavy blaster. The AI is actually fairly competent with this loadout as well. The only downside is that you have to be a pretty good shot, the blaster is hard hitting, but slow firing, you need to make every shot count.

Edit: Also, is it just me or are cruisers in this game just incredibly mediocre? They cost tons of money to run, but I don't feel like I get as much of my investment back as I would have if I just bought an equivalent amount of destroyers/frigates. I like nearly all of them, they look cool as hell, but they just feel so unwieldy. Just about anything a Cruiser could do, a pair of Destroyers could do and do it cheaper. The Capital ships feel similarly unwieldy, but they just have so much firepower and are so hard to kill that they have some purpose on the battlefield, Cruisers feel caught inbetween, not fast enough to be useful on the fly, but not tough or powerful enough to really lock an area down and put up a good fight.

AtillatheBum fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 27, 2014

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

AtillatheBum posted:

Edit: Also, is it just me or are cruisers in this game just incredibly mediocre? They cost tons of money to run, but I don't feel like I get as much of my investment back as I would have if I just bought an equivalent amount of destroyers/frigates. I like nearly all of them, they look cool as hell, but they just feel so unwieldy. Just about anything a Cruiser could do, a pair of Destroyers could do and do it cheaper. The Capital ships feel similarly unwieldy, but they just have so much firepower and are so hard to kill that they have some purpose on the battlefield, Cruisers feel caught inbetween, not fast enough to be useful on the fly, but not tough or powerful enough to really lock an area down and put up a good fight.

Depends on what you're aiming to kill. I'd say cruisers are kind of overkill for bounty hunting right now, since most pirate ships are so lovely. But cruisers are actually far more efficient than capital ships cost-wise, and some of the most powerful ships in the game (Aurora, Eagle, Heron) are cruisers. The Aurora, especially, is just ridiculously powerful. The Venture is loving hard to kill and amazing as a carrier/cargo hauler for a well rounded fleet, but you'll need aug engines to not make it slow you down.

The main power of upscale ship classes is that they gain access to better ITU/ITC hullmods, giving them the range to bully smaller ships easily.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Actually, bounty hunting is exactly what drove me into using Cruisers since once the you've been playing a while, the bounty fleets start picking up some serious hardware. I've fought a number of bounty fleets containing Onslaughts, Odysseys, Conquests, and even one Paragon (which I sadly couldn't kill at the time). Not to mention the fleets of 5+ cruisers that show up fairly regularly. The Medusas which I'd been relying on so heavily to tear apart even small Cruiser fleets just couldn't stand up to the focused fire of 3+ Cruisers or a Capital.

The Aurora I'll give you at least, I had the good fortune to capture one in my most recent game and it is one hell of a machine. The Heron is a fine carrier as well, but I was more talking about the front line Cruisers. On the other hand, the Eagle is exactly the kind of ship I was thinking of in my previous post. The armor is good, the shield is ok, but the speed, max flux, dissipation are all bad and the firepower mediocre. The only saving grace is the maneuvering jets which bring its speed and mobility to acceptable levels. I definitely would not call it one of the best ships in the game. Don't even get me started on the Falcon. A shame since those 2 are pretty much outright my favorite looking ships in the base game. The Venture tries to dip its toes into too many things at once and while its not outright bad, again, its just mediocre at everything. The Dominator is great as long as the enemy is in front of you, but if(when) they get behind you, you're hosed. I haven't tooled around with or seen the Apogee enough to pass much judgement, but admittedly it looks interesting with its super efficient shield and deep flux reserves.

Maybe its just a sign of good balance that none of the Cruisers (save the Aurora) look stand out spectacular, but at the same time I feel a bit of flavor was lost when they made them so mediocre.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
My bounties are currently at 250000+ payouts and seeing a fleet with 1-2 Onslaughts and 5-8 Cruisers 5-10 Frigates isn't that rare. Since I can't find a Conquest after 3 years ingame time and I don't want an Onslaught, I've resorted to 2 Eagle Cruisers and a Heron Carrier with a load of Hammerheads/Sunders/Brawlers filling out the group. (Mid line best line)
By far the best investment I found was the Heron, 2 flight bays for 6 fighter wings at a not too expensive cost. If you're low on cash 2 Gemini freighters work well for a largish fighter/bomber contingent but they're semi-rare to find.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Strumpie posted:

If you're low on cash 2 Gemini freighters work well for a largish fighter/bomber contingent but they're semi-rare to find.

In my game, there are currently 6 Geminis for sale at Jangala station.

I haven't seen a single Conquest though.

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!

AtillatheBum posted:

Actually, bounty hunting is exactly what drove me into using Cruisers since once the you've been playing a while, the bounty fleets start picking up some serious hardware. I've fought a number of bounty fleets containing Onslaughts, Odysseys, Conquests, and even one Paragon (which I sadly couldn't kill at the time). Not to mention the fleets of 5+ cruisers that show up fairly regularly. The Medusas which I'd been relying on so heavily to tear apart even small Cruiser fleets just couldn't stand up to the focused fire of 3+ Cruisers or a Capital.

The Aurora I'll give you at least, I had the good fortune to capture one in my most recent game and it is one hell of a machine. The Heron is a fine carrier as well, but I was more talking about the front line Cruisers. On the other hand, the Eagle is exactly the kind of ship I was thinking of in my previous post. The armor is good, the shield is ok, but the speed, max flux, dissipation are all bad and the firepower mediocre. The only saving grace is the maneuvering jets which bring its speed and mobility to acceptable levels. I definitely would not call it one of the best ships in the game. Don't even get me started on the Falcon. A shame since those 2 are pretty much outright my favorite looking ships in the base game. The Venture tries to dip its toes into too many things at once and while its not outright bad, again, its just mediocre at everything. The Dominator is great as long as the enemy is in front of you, but if(when) they get behind you, you're hosed. I haven't tooled around with or seen the Apogee enough to pass much judgement, but admittedly it looks interesting with its super efficient shield and deep flux reserves.

Maybe its just a sign of good balance that none of the Cruisers (save the Aurora) look stand out spectacular, but at the same time I feel a bit of flavor was lost when they made them so mediocre.

I thought the Eagle was actually pretty great for locking down an area. It brings a pretty significant amount of fire power to bear over a wide angle, and if you equip all the range upgrades plus advanced turret gyros, it becomes pretty tough. I think the point of cruisers is that they can take the big hits from capitals and other cruisers better. Since the update, I've largely been running with a destroyer/frigate/fighter fleet, and going up against a pirate armada with an Onslaught, I took pretty grievous casualties (though I did win). Capital ships are great at putting out very intense firepower over a substantial range, and it's tough for a destroyer to stand up to that long enough to scratch the armor, much less get a shot in. Cruisers' deeper flux reserves and marginally heavier weapons loadout gives them a decisive one-on-one advantage against smaller ships. Meanwhile, their better defensive capabilities allow them to stand up to larger ships and their larger weapons can put more pressure on them, which gives your smaller ships a chance to get in behind them and go to work. I think they're generally better used as a complement to destroyers/frigates rather than a one-for-one replacement.

I agree that the Falcon's not super useful, though.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
A shade frigate with two am blasters, two reapers and max capacitors eat any pirate or hegemony ship based fleet, the only thing stopping you is if you run out of blaster ammo or combat timer, but with expanded mags and hardened subsystems that has yet to happen for me.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Warheart525 posted:

I thought the Eagle was actually pretty great for locking down an area.
I agree that the Falcon's not super useful, though.
An Eagle with graviton beams and HVDs/autocannon is a great way to keep the pressure on and give you openings to exploit.
The Falcon is a bit naff but with 2 HMGs and 2 Heavy Blasters it can swoop in, overload someone and pummel them before darting out. I fly them like off-brand Medusas.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Falcon's best as an artillery platform IMO, HVDs and 2x phase beams has been very effective for me, it's basically a destroyer with cruiser tier hullmods. It's way too minimalistic to be an interesting flagship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I found I build according to burn drive breakpoints and what I'm likely to face; My frigate fleet (burn 9) is great but can't fight an aurora or onslaught - you can't break the shields and the AI is really bad about dealing with line of fire (onslaught) or mass missile spam (aurora). Even when I'm flying the Medusa.

Cruisers just take too much supplies and fuel to fly around unless you're tooling up to fight a serious fleet - I keep downgrading back down to my frigatefleet (plus medusa). I haven't tried carriers yet, and maybe a midrange fleet with a burn of 4 is the way to go.

Right now, I've got a medusae+tug, 4 wolfs, 1 phase and 2 vigilants (LRMs).

I've played around with wolfs a lot, and fitting depends on your skill (especially the reduction in fitting costs 10 pt one). With the gunnery 'lead shots' skill, non-beams on a piloted ship are amazing for point defense and damage as well. I went down the gunnery tree first, and it's possible you can wield a heavy blaster on it if you've got more vents than I do but I'm not there yet - I tried it but it was just too flux intensive.

(human piloted wolf)
1 Pulse laser
3 IR pulse
2 Harpoon
Integrated Point Defense
Expanded Missile Racks
Max (10) vents
Capacitors, extended/stabilized shields to taste

(AI piloted wolf)
1 Pulse laser
1 Antimatter Blaster (front facing)
2 burst PD lasers
2 Harpoon
Expanded Missile Racks
Max (10) Vents
Capacitors, Extended shields to taste

The AI is really good about using both missiles and the AM blaster to force an overload. If you don't have a PD cruiser for them to hide behind, having every wolf have PD lasers means most missiles aren't really a threat, and are sorely needed with the prevalence and deadliness of salamanders against the wolf's fixed shield. The AI skirts around right at 600 range and the pulse laser puts out great flux-efficient sustained damage and then finishes the ships off with AM blaster and missiles. If it takes too much, it just backs off and recharges. Try it in a simulator, the AI can solo any other frigate and some destroyers with this wolf setup.

Sadly, while they can also gang up and take destroyers, anything cruiser or larger will wipe them out if you don't deal with it quickly.

My vigalance just has a heavy burst PD and LRMs, I send them to the far away points and use LRMs to keep smaller ships busy. My shade has ion cannons and AM blasters, I'm not really sure what to do with it - I just bought it to try it out.

I haven't been able to find an Aurora, which was and remains an amazing ship, or an apogee, but I did pick up a paragon and an onslaught. Which I promptly benched because they both are absurdly slow and expensive to fly around.

As I said, I may put together a midrange burn 4 fleet with some sunders and a heron a enforcer or two and a bunch of fighters and see how it performs. Are the wasps any good still? They were crazy good in packs way back when. Guess I'll find out.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 27, 2014