Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FrozenVent posted:

They already crossed over with Bar Rescue, it was terrible and pointless.

It wasn't so much a crossover as Adam Carolla showing up for no real reason and making terrible jokes to promote his own terrible show. I don't recall him ding anything actually related to his show though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

El Moronte!!

A debt-ridden bar's owner gets some help from Jon in addressing his outbursts toward his staff.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

B Is For Razor posted:

I've lived five minutes away from Rythm and Brews for over 15 years and I've literally never seen a group of motorcycles outside the place. The bar mostly did "Battle of the Bands" shows with young lovely local bands. I haven't been to the new place but Taffer was totally off base when it comes to the actual demo of the neighborhood so I don't see it lasting long tbh.

It's like they saw some big houses in Tottenville or Todt Hill and were like "yeah lets pretend the entire borough is like this."

I haven't been to Rhythm and Brews for years, but I never saw a biker there. I stopped going because it was a shithole, not because it was dangerous.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Haha... grandma in the back cooking.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Taffer sure thinks he's clever for coming up with that "El Moron-te" crack.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Does Taffer just not give a poo poo about his recon anymore? He was just laughing with his experts about how someone will get sick eating that while they eat it. I've seen him loving storm places and knock it out of their hands for worse.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

limp_cheese posted:

Does Taffer just not give a poo poo about his recon anymore? He was just laughing with his experts about how someone will get sick eating that while they eat it. I've seen him loving storm places and knock it out of their hands for worse.

It's all pretty blatantly an act either way.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Anything You Can Yell, I Can Yell Louder

Three firefighting brothers struggling to keep their Queens, N.Y., bar afloat get a visit from Taffer.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The TV IV › Bar Rescue S4: Go to the bathroom and Google it

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I'm not sure how good of an idea any of these items are for a failing bar with big dudes yelling at each other, but they sure seem excited about it.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
That bathroom game is ridiculous, but I'd go there just to play it.

Between that and the smokey shots and the grilled cheese challenge, they really put a lot of unique stuff into this one compared to others.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

OmegaBR posted:

That bathroom game is ridiculous, but I'd go there just to play it.

Between that and the smokey shots and the grilled cheese challenge, they really put a lot of unique stuff into this one compared to others.

Bartenders can't make drinks well, but let's hook 'em up with a flame gun. Makes sense.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I do not understand making people who can't make a drink one at a time flame orange peels for garnish at all, but the smoked glasses are a cool idea for a firehouse-themed bar, and that grilled cheese looked awesome.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Near the end when Taffer sticks his head through a door and asks how are we doing, for just a second I thought he was talking about the urinal game.

Also I want a Jacked up grilled cheese.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Could someone please describe this grilled cheese to me. I had to tap out about halfway because they all seemed terrible and I hope that place burns to the ground while they're forced to watch

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Starts with some kind of "hot shot". The sandwich has regular cheese, then transfers to either pepper jack, some kind of ghost pepper cheese, or a combination of both, and the last bite has some kind of hot sauce bite. If you can get to the end without drinking the milk, you get a shirt. The shirt's no big deal, but the sandwich looked tasty.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The ghost peppers are in the 800k-1million scoville range, which is really loving hot.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It starts with regular cheese at the front, ghost pepper cheese at the end, with both cheeses in the middle. The last bite has a dollop of ghost pepper sauce. The idea is that it gets progressively hotter as you eat it. It's made on hoagie bread so you can't just wolf it down.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Piratz isn't real right? They made this up for the show? It's all fake like wrestling and American Idol?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

Piratz isn't real right? They made this up for the show? It's all fake like wrestling and American Idol?

Nope, that place is absolutely real and every bit as lovely as they made it out to be.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Didn't we have some goon show up in the thread and try to defend that bar?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Didn't we have some goon show up in the thread and try to defend that bar?

Yep, all to the tune of it wasn't so bad and Taffer just doesn't get it. It was pretty amazing.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
The Piratz episode is so much better if you buy into the theory that the awful CORPORATE re-branding was just a huge middle finger to everyone there

But given how bad most of the re-brandings have ended up being it was probably serious

ALSO something I found out a full year ago but maybe many people don't know: Y'all remember that bad Irish pub in Philly from season one? And how the guy's brother "died," and he and Taffer had a heart-to-heart? Well that guys brother actually tried to murder his mom and then killed himself at the pub, IIRC right on that balcony where Taffer threw all the chairs onto the street. Really adds a whole new perspective to that episode

ANYONE, since I guess for the time being this is the general business rescue show, people need to watch the "Rotting Woodstock" episode from the new season of Hotel Impossible. Because That ep:Hotel Impossible::ABC Baking:Kitchen Nightmares

Toilets that aren't sealed to the floor? Caving in roofs? Open, rusting septic tanks? Asbestos? I can totally fix it myself PLEASE LEAVE

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 5, 2014

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I have a theory on why so many of the rebrandings seem bad. For a lot of the owners their biggest obstacle seems to be their own ego and dreams. The lovely rebranding is Taffer forcing them to kill their baby and forcing them to approach the new least common denominator concept as actual businesspeople.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I think with Piratz, in particular, he had to go to another extreme. If he'd done something ever so slightly related to the previous concept, they would have stuck to their old habits.

Of course they went back to their ridiculous concept anyway, but that was a case where just telling them to give up would have been the best option.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Hell, getting them to run the thing with some sanitation and hygiene would have been a winner. You're in a food and drink related service, for gently caress's sake, filth is a BAD thing!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Wait, Piratz is still open?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Inkspot posted:

I do not understand making people who can't make a drink one at a time flame orange peels for garnish at all, but the smoked glasses are a cool idea for a firehouse-themed bar, and that grilled cheese looked awesome.
The grilled cheese looked good and big enough to share as a non-challenge item.

Also, while edited it seemed like Taffer's bar and kitchen experts were working during the relaunch, which would be a huge help. Although really with some practice the staff would learn the new stuff pretty quickly.

BUT what caught my eye was

Really Jon? 3 huge brothers with hot tempers, anger management problems and a bar full of alcohol - you don't see a potential problem with this 'decoration' ?!

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I'm sure there's plenty of other "weapons" around that would be just as deadly as a couple axes. Knives, busted bottles, stools, etc.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yes firemen are famous for carrying a bit of a broken beer bottle in case they need to quickly break down a door or smash through a wall.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 8, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If a bar argument heats up, it's more likely that someone will smash a beer bottle and stab you with it than tear the two fire axes off the wall where they're nailed, then un nail them from one another then split your head open with one.

If the person you've angered is that dumb, use the ten minutes they'll spend loving around with a pry bar to run the gently caress away,

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

To Protect and to (Over) Serve

A detective-turned-bar owner in Philadelphia gets some help from Jon.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

That's a lot of dough. :stare:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The last three episodes have been advertising the JonFire Shot

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
That ending was vague.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

"The bar continues to undergo changes" seems... Ominous.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

magiccarpet posted:

The last three episodes have been advertising the JonFire Shot

My girlfriend and I have also noticed that. It's been going on for a while, this episode was the most obvious.

As for thost ominous changes... (warning spoilers for next week in the article)

Philly.com posted:

The former Lickety Split - a two-level pizzeria and bar at Fourth and South Streets - is downplaying its Taffer-developed "Alleged Pizza" motif. Management stripped away the Alleged window decorations and restored the TV that blares ESPN. On the second floor, renamed 2nd State Lounge, drink specials are gone and comedy nights and music acts have been reinstituted.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Link doesn't work but I read that as well. 2nd State Lounge is a much better concept than Alleged anyway.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
How are you supposed to eat that clam pizza?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

CVagts posted:

Link doesn't work but I read that as well. 2nd State Lounge is a much better concept than Alleged anyway.

Agreed. Alleged felt like a razz and made for a lovely gimmick.

• Locked thread