Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

He was aiming for Berserker, but he didn't mind Shiro and Saber getting swept in the blast too. Really, the entire fight is great since it shows off all three servants spectacularly and the anime did a great job of escalating each assault from Archer. I also appreciated them having Saber just loving tear through Berserker, it was cool.

I think it's weird though, that they didn't reveal him as Heracles, but chances are they will talk about it next episode or use it as a big reveal for later.

Ilya does not reveal Berserker identity in UBW, only in Fate and HF. Even the Servant stat sheet has not his name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
*wrong thread*

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

YggdrasilTM posted:

Ilya does not reveal Berserker identity in UBW, only in Fate and HF. Even the Servant stat sheet has not his name.

That's right she doesn't. I do still recall the fact that he is Heracles coming up prior to Gilgamesh killing him, I think when Rin and Shiro are running down people they can work with to beat Caster they think Berserker being Heracles would make him her natural enemy or something.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

That's right she doesn't. I do still recall the fact that he is Heracles coming up prior to Gilgamesh killing him, I think when Rin and Shiro are running down people they can work with to beat Caster they think Berserker being Heracles would make him her natural enemy or something.

"…But we can only bet on Ilyasviel for now. If Archer is right about Caster's identity, Berserker would be her natural enemy.
They knew each other when they were alive, so he should know Caster's tricks. Berserker can handle Caster and Archer by himself. We can take care of Kuzuki while he does so."

"That's an optimistic thought. But does Berserker really know Caster?"
"Yes. Archer told me that Berserker's true identity is Hercules.
If Caster really is that witch, Berserker might know her through the Argo Expedition.
It's just like how I don't get along with Kirei. Everyone has a natural enemy."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm still disappointed that the next episode previews aren't Tiger Dojo.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Aumanor posted:

Well, yeah, but in VN it leaves Berserker without half of his skin, while here he just kinda shrugs it off. Which in light of Rin saying that it was an A-class Noble Phantasm makes even less sense, since God Hand can only nullify attacks up to B-Class. And Invisible Air is only C-class, so it shouldn't even leave a scratch. Uggh.

In the VN Berserker intercepted the broken phantasm with his sword (probably reducing the damage).

Invisible Air just hides her sword's true form and power, which is A++. So Saber did a normal slash and a wind barrier hammer strike which counts as two different attacks (Berserker's God Hand needs to gain immunity to both)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

YggdrasilTM posted:

"…But we can only bet on Ilyasviel for now. If Archer is right about Caster's identity, Berserker would be her natural enemy.
They knew each other when they were alive, so he should know Caster's tricks. Berserker can handle Caster and Archer by himself. We can take care of Kuzuki while he does so."

"That's an optimistic thought. But does Berserker really know Caster?"
"Yes. Archer told me that Berserker's true identity is Hercules.
If Caster really is that witch, Berserker might know her through the Argo Expedition.
It's just like how I don't get along with Kirei. Everyone has a natural enemy."

Thinking about it, its kind of pity that we didn't see Berserker and Caster interact with each other.

Or that we didn't see Berserker sane except for his dying moments. Overall, the use of Hercules in F/SN was one huge wasted opportunity.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm disappointed by the lack of claymation (even though F/0 also lacked claymation).

The obvious answer to both complaints is claymation Tiger Dojo.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

MonsieurChoc posted:

For F/Z they used it for some dvd bonus content, I kinda assume they'll do the same with this.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Blhue posted:

For F/Z they used it for some dvd bonus content, I kinda assume they'll do the same with this.

Surprisingly it had a nice heart-touching story in there for something that is basically gags and trivia.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
From the anime thread:

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

Significant spoilers for late-game portions of the VN routes!!!

I'm pretty surprised they're showing Gilgamesh talking to Kirei so freely. I haven't finished F/Z yet but I assume their relationship is established there? I know they're catering a lot to the crowd coming into this from F/Z without having played the VN, but for me, Gilgamesh's big 'gently caress you I'm here to wreck everything' reveal was pretty nuts because you didn't expect an 8th Servant and it wasn't foreshadowed at all beforehand. So I guess I'm a little sad it isn't going to be such an abrupt 'oh god what' reveal the way it was in the VN.

But on the other hand I guess his first proper introduction in UBW is also very different from Fate and assumes you already know who he is, so it's kind of appropriate. IDK
:shrug:

Having Gil show up out of nowhere and kill Berserker without any foreshadowing like that would have been bullshit. It makes sense in the VN version UBW only because you already know who he is from Fate. It sort-of works when he takes out Caster in Fate, because Caster has basically already lost at that point, but a completely new character taking out Berserker so Shirou and Rin don't have to deal with him would feel too convenient.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah the show's in kind of a weird place because UBW expects you to be familiar with a bunch of stuff from Fate, so you can't really do a straight adaption of it. Playing up the Fate/Zero connection and showing Gil earlier is a good call.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Plus you see Gilgamesh in an early scene with Sakura, so it's not like they could hide his presence completely from people who've seen Fate/Zero.

Although I think that scene might have been optional or something.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

quote:

I'm pretty surprised they're showing Gilgamesh talking to Kirei so freely. I haven't finished F/Z yet but I assume their relationship is established there?

Correct.

Gil not disappearing after the fourth war and his relationship to Kirei is made clear by the end of Fate/Zero.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That seems like another reason to skip Fate - its twists are largely things that an F/Z viewer would already know (eighth servant, Kiritsugu wasn't as great as Shirou thought he was, Kotomine is evil, Saber is Arturia, Saber served under Kiritsugu previously, Illya will die as part of the grail summoning etc).

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Saber is Arturia

That reminds me, Shirou never learns Saber's identity in UBW. It's going to be kind of weird having Shirou being clueless about her identity when the audience already knows.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
Yeah, that's a good point RE: him coming in out of nowhere and murdering the poo poo out of Berserker. I guess in that case it's better to foreshadow his appearance early on. His slaughtering Berserker isn't really the grand entrance you get in Fate, and UBW doesn't make much of an effort to introduce him since you already know who he is. I'm just used to him blitzkrieging his way into the plot of every single route somewhere near the end after being completely absent for the first half. (Actually, I legitimately can't remember what happened to him in HF. Didn't he get owned by Sakura?)

It just feels unusual when it wasn't in the original, but that doesn't mean it's a bad change, and I guess for new viewers it really is the best decision.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

(Actually, I legitimately can't remember what happened to him in HF. Didn't he get owned by Sakura?)

He attacked Sakura, got careless, and got eaten.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Actually that reminds me of a question I've had for a while: why does Gilgamesh not care about Saber at all in UBW? He was really obsessed with her in Fate.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Actually that reminds me of a question I've had for a while: why does Gilgamesh not care about Saber at all in UBW? He was really obsessed with her in Fate.

Gilgamesh is fickle like that. He's the sort of person who decides whether to save the world or destroy it based on his sense of aesthetics. I think Saber just impressed him less in UBW, plus he found punishing Shinji and Archer for their presumption, etc. more interesting.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
It wasn't her route anymore, so even Gilgamesh stopped caring. :911:

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

He was probably interested in her in Heavens Feel but then the black grail ate him.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Hommando posted:

That reminds me, Shirou never learns Saber's identity in UBW. It's going to be kind of weird having Shirou being clueless about her identity when the audience already knows.

He also never finds out who Saber is in HF, since Saber wasn't around nearly long enough for him to find out. It's just as well, since pretty much anyone who has a passing interest in the franchise probably already knows Saber's true identity.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Finished the translated parts of Mahoyo. It's pretty good! I'm eagerly awaiting the rest of it.

There's a of similarities between Rin and Aoko, I found. Both are powerful mages, both have a nasty temper, both are prideful and both tried to kill the male lead in a chase sequence in an empty building. There's enough differences that it doesn't feel like a complete rethread though.

I like the crazy reaction faces. It's endearing.

Holy poo poo that Amusement Park two-part battle. :stare: That was pretty amazing. For all his weird habits, Nasu knows how to write a good fight scene.

I'm not sure how to feel about the main character. It feels almost like they managed to create a character so bland he goes out the other side and become interesting.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Mahoyo has a male protagonist?

That's... uh, disappointing.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Fangz posted:

Mahoyo has a male protagonist?

That's... uh, disappointing.

The main character is still Aoko. Soujuurou is for Aoko what Rin is to Shirou.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It switches perspective every once in a while.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Maybe deuteragonist is a better word?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
I've been reading through the VN (Realta Nua Ver.) with my little sister MY IMOUTO and we came across a japanese food dish with a name we didn't recognize and so decided to google it.

We lost our poo poo for a good minute or two. Rereading the story with someone who has not been spoilered at all (she didn't even know who Saber was, that reveal was awesome) is a great joy. She really liked the RN replacement scenes for Fate route and the romance in general, although she gets annoyed with Shirou when he acts (less and less frequently as the story goes on) like a dumbass about women.

rvm
May 6, 2013
RN version, if it didn't suffer from typical VN pacing issues, I'd totally recommend to pretty much anyone. Like for instance the whole Sakura backstory loses its weirdness, somehow becoming more impacting in the process in spite of H-replacement scenes being absolutely hilarious (the first one especially is a riot, the second most "wat?" scene in the VN after Issei's stripsearch).

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
What are the replacement scenes in Heaven's Feel? I only know about the ones in Fate and UBW. And Heaven's Feel's H-scenes actually have some sort of warped purpose to them, character-wise (if I remember correctly).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i think sakura is a vampire now

it's a little strange

rvm
May 6, 2013

HellCopter posted:

What are the replacement scenes in Heaven's Feel? I only know about the ones in Fate and UBW. And Heaven's Feel's H-scenes actually have some sort of warped purpose to them, character-wise (if I remember correctly).

Well, they did make sense and I wish they'd just cut to black or something, but basically she sucks Shirou's blood now. And the first scene (Shirou's wet dream), I don't know, I can't properly describe it, it needs to be seen.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
RN's changes to HF kind of ruin a lot of things about Sakura's personality and motivations, but to be honest "was molested 24/7 for most of her life" is a pretty lovely backstory.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

BlitzBlast posted:

RN's changes to HF kind of ruin a lot of things about Sakura's personality and motivations, but to be honest "was molested 24/7 for most of her life" is a pretty lovely backstory.

Yeah but it fully explains why she is so screwed up. Also the scene where Shinji tries to rape her "again" and then ends up dead is one of my favorite scenes since I highly dislike that slimy bastard.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Myurton posted:

Yeah but it fully explains why she is so screwed up. Also the scene where Shinji tries to rape her "again" and then ends up dead is one of my favorite scenes since I highly dislike that slimy bastard.

Actually, in RN version he beats her up. You probably played some kind of hybrid patch or something if attempted rape was left in.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
I was talking about the original none RN version, with all the H scenes still in.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The 2012 version of RN is pretty slick. The special effects and new CGs are so much nicer compared to the hybrid patch from before, the former since what we got originally was just Waku Waku trying to recreate poo poo himself and the latter since all of the new CGs were previously upscales from the PS2. A decent chunk of the game was also still unvoiced for a variety of reasons, which isn't a problem now. Nasu even edited Fate a bit to make Shirou slightly less chauvinistic. And for English-speakers specifically the :effort: job by TakaJun has actually been cleaned and edited to a certain extent, hopefully (I haven't finished it yet) to not sound so bloody dry. Seriously I was rewatching a few of the more memorable scenes in lparhive and I don't understand how I ever thought half of it was acceptable English.

The only downside is that I don't think I care for the separate install approach, since now someone could theoretically play Heaven's Feel first.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Nate RFB posted:

The 2012 version of RN is pretty slick. The special effects and new CGs are so much nicer compared to the hybrid patch from before, the former since what we got originally was just Waku Waku trying to recreate poo poo himself and the latter since all of the new CGs were previously upscales from the PS2. A decent chunk of the game was also still unvoiced for a variety of reasons, which isn't a problem now. Nasu even edited Fate a bit to make Shirou slightly less chauvinistic. And for English-speakers specifically the :effort: job by TakaJun has actually been cleaned and edited to a certain extent, hopefully (I haven't finished it yet) to not sound so bloody dry. Seriously I was rewatching a few of the more memorable scenes in lparhive and I don't understand how I ever thought half of it was acceptable English.

The only downside is that I don't think I care for the separate install approach, since now someone could theoretically play Heaven's Feel first.

Count me as dumb. Is there a new release or just the translate patch got fixed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Réalta Nua was ported to the PC in 2012 as three separate games/installs, one for each route (they share the same save file directory). A translation patch for this version was released relatively recently: http://realtapatch.tumblr.com/