Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Eh, I seem to remember that while Poong and this guy both basically come off lackeys who play support to someone actually smart and capable, Poong was far more active in general even if it wasn't always very productive. Running around with his notepad pondering games, trying to insinuate himself into the good graces of multiple people, what have you. The show could reliably put in scenes of him discussing things, coming to conclusions (often wrong but hey), and actually holding somewhat interesting conversations. Poker guy this time has been a complete non-entity in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Insurrectionist posted:

Eh, I seem to remember that while Poong and this guy both basically come off lackeys who play support to someone actually smart and capable, Poong was far more active in general even if it wasn't always very productive. Running around with his notepad pondering games, trying to insinuate himself into the good graces of multiple people, what have you. The show could reliably put in scenes of him discussing things, coming to conclusions (often wrong but hey), and actually holding somewhat interesting conversations. Poker guy this time has been a complete non-entity in comparison.

Not sure if I just have rose-colored glasses but this season seems to have more people just sitting around in rooms doing nothing than the other two.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Factor Mystic posted:

I don't get why Sujin basically volunteered for the deathmatch. Is she tired of it too? It's not great that potentially multiple players so far are basically wanting to get out.

It's because that whole team was honest and united in their spirit and willingness to die for their comrades...true heroes

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Tonfa posted:

Not sure if I just have rose-colored glasses but this season seems to have more people just sitting around with their alliances in rooms doing nothing than the other two.

You do have rose colored glasses about series 2. Broadcaster perma-alliance doesn't ring a bell?

Gotta agree with other complainers, the main match was a damp squib. Both teams immediately zeroed in on the leader and it was all over stupidly quickly. Last season I was annoyed at the perma-alliance but this one I'm annoyed at the game designers. Last three seem to have big flaws in their premises.

Criminals versus citizens was over when the random allocation of foremen favored the citizens at the beginning. Ability race was over when the most unpopular two were just targeted with no recourse. This one was over as soon as both sides effectively guessed the leader and focused them.

At least this last game kept the game theory aspect of the loser picking their opponent which led to Hweejong deciding "I'm not gonna do what they want me to do" in the end. I enjoyed that.

edit: forgot about spoilers

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 27, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Tonfa posted:

Please, someone, kill off that little poo poo Hyunmin and his strategy of railroading anyone remotely interesting into elimination.

Oh well. You tried sticking up to them, Hweejong.

He didn't do that at all this episode. Also remember he is playing to win and has no idea or care for who your favourite players are.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
WhaaA? The Internet video man doesn't know my thoughts in real life?? Holy sh*t, never mind, he's actually good and not bad then.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

WhaaA? The Internet video man doesn't know my thoughts in real life?? Holy sh*t, never mind, he's actually good and not bad then.
They totally read AllKPop or whatever the Korean version of Reddit is.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I rewatched an ep from season one again and wow I miss that soundtrack. Now the music just seems forgettable.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
The cast this season is alright. The problem is the games are mediocre and they do not give room for players to do anything individually without it being a suicidal strategy. Also they're a bit too scared of the image problems people got in season 2 for being assholes, so what the hell can they do but play the social game and try to negotiate other people into losing.

Sacro fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 27, 2014

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I think they just need to stop picking games which feature bluffing for main matches, because almost everyone on the cast except Dongmin and Hyunmin are abjectly terrible at it. Incidentally, they're the two I'm most rooting for now that Hweejong is gone. That deathmatch game was kind of gross, I didn't really care for it.

Hurray somebody who gets it. I mean let's used an example of the 7 up 10 down card that we saw was in the game, well if I have this card and my opponent has 1,2,3,4,5 or 6 in his hand then I've won 11 of 60 chips in play unless my opponent just busts from it. There is 0% skill in that, it doesn't matter if your card counting, doesn't matter if you've got a read, doesn't matter if the opponent has a read. It a ludicrous game, I'd rather see tactical yutnori then that.

eta- This is easily fixed too, just let people fold to the double bets without consequence and suddenly I think you've got a brilliant game well except for the riding pots on draws, but thats an old argument.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 27, 2014

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat the black garnet mission was intense. I knew the one that the guy was missing but I can't imagine having a clear mind and being able to think straight with 100 second countdown.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
This episode was marked by big mistakes from the respective losers. If you know your leader is vulnerable in an attack, either through doubting or the damage that comes in, you have to doubt. There is no other option, especially because everyone except the leader and Dongmin, who was confirmed as the wielder of dual swords.

And both players did not understand the chance that bidding on both sides gives you if you are the starting player. For just 2 points you can win 10 points even if your opponent has a 1/2 card in front of him. Especially Hweejong should have made use of this, once he saw that his opponent is playing very conservative, as it's the intended counter to that kind of playstyle.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Dongmin and Sujin are definitely top tier

I agree with this statement.

Fast Luck posted:

Junghoon was quite sharp at Hap Gyul, I was impressed how well he did. Of course, he missed the most obvious one, the first one I saw, but he found a lot of others I wasn't seeing and was quite impressive at it.

That's actually the only one I missed as well, sometimes when you focus too hard the obvious gets lost.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hyunmin: the best player in the game and the haters can go get hosed. :colbert:

The Main Match ended too fast and it was 90% a matter of chance, which is a game design flaw IMO. I think you're not giving the poker dude enough credit for his fake double sword play, tho. Dongmin had already pulled a real one out of his rear end, so it caused enough confusion that it forced Hweejong to misplay. I would've called it and taken the chance, because they already knew Mentality King was their leader anyway.

Deathmatch...it was boring and the neat trick was poker dude's, not...other dude's (he's pretty much the blandest of the crew). But Hweejong played it real bad. He was super predictable on his bets, fold on low, bet high on high or raise on high. That's why conservative and consistent play beat him. He didn't see the benefits of conditioning and bluffing to beat that strategy, or the benefits of double-bluffing on even a 50% chance after you were behind by 5 chips or so. I can't hate on "lame" play tho, defense wins championships

Hap! Gyul! is always super-fun when it shows up because it's tense as poo poo to watch and terrifying to play. Of course, a 100s countdown just magnified that. I'm bad at these pattern-finding things under pressure, but I saw 1, 2, 3 right off the bat and every time he called a combination I went "1, 2, 3! 1, 2, 3!". When he Gyul'd I was so sad. :smith:

Hyunmin is the best player so far, Dongmin is the second best player and he gets so mad when people don't understand - I can relate to that. Sujin won me over with the red dress by being quite rational about her decisions and basically saying "gently caress it, I'll do it" whenever someone has to sacrifice themselves. Yeonjoo is so derpy I have to like her :3:, and Mentality King wins the Most Improved Genius award. The cast is fine overall, I just hope that they have some less...alliance-y games soon. Most of the games so far rewarded strong alliances way more than power plays, when they weren't straight out team games like this week. That's why Hyunmin feels like he's railroading people to deathmatches, because he's the best at making up a good plan that benefits most people fast and not double-crossing people that weren't already doomed by it.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Hapgyul stresses the gently caress out of me, I just can't spot any of that poo poo.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I think Mentality King misstepped a bit by making himself so obvious to Dongmin right at the start, a notable aggressive player. I thought he'd lost the game right then before it even started but then they basically bet the game on a 50/50 gamble and got away with it so fair play to them but it did feel over a bit too quickly. Mentality King continues to be my favourite player in the game right now though, keep on trucking man.

The deathmatch though, while the game seemed flawed I am incredibly impressed with dude-whose-name-I-can't-remember's play in it, he played an absolutely proper game and he seemed invincible during it. I enjoy seeing the player who genuinely plays the game better survive rather than Jinho being bullshitted by Jiwon esque crap and the last two deathmatches have kept me happy in that regard.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Last two episodes have been worryingly bad. Enough of these team games where half the cast get away with doing nothing please.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

The deathmatch though, while the game seemed flawed I am incredibly impressed with dude-whose-name-I-can't-remember's play in it, he played an absolutely proper game and he seemed invincible during it. I enjoy seeing the player who genuinely plays the game better survive rather than Jinho being bullshitted by Jiwon esque crap and the last two deathmatches have kept me happy in that regard.

He didn't though, he simply followed poker stars plan to the letter, even when it clearly didn't apply. For example even when he had a higher white and 10 black he still stuck to betting 2 despite doubling essentially being risk free for most of the game.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Xoidanor posted:

He didn't though, he simply followed poker stars plan to the letter, even when it clearly didn't apply. For example even when he had a higher white and 10 black he still stuck to betting 2 despite doubling essentially being risk free for most of the game.

I'd call that more playing a very safe game than anything else, possibly too safe but at the same time it's a good strategy. He was counting the cards, right? So I guess he figured there was a possibility that there was another black 10 in play at which point he would lose a lot. Admittedly the chance of that is super remote but non-zero.

He followed a strategy that wasn't his own to be sure and he probably didn't understand why it was a good strategy, but it was a good strategy executed competently and won the game.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeonjoo doesn't seem like she's great at the games but I hope she lasts because she's got a personality, bump off the guy who survived the deathmatch who's name I don't even remember or Ahyoung if you want to get rid of someone.

Junghoon and Jongbeom need to go too. I'm sad they're around when we lost an interesting player like Hweejong. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Yeonjoo- I'm just amazed she's doing so well when she doesn't seem to understand half the games, and started crying when someone actually asked her to make a decision. Considering her garnet count, and the fact that she hasn't made any enemies, she's actually doing better than pretty much anyone else. I can only hope that she turns out to be invincible in the deathmatches, like Jhunghyun last season.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Hweejong wasn't actually an interesting player. He was a novelty and it was starting to wear off.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I'd call that more playing a very safe game than anything else, possibly too safe but at the same time it's a good strategy. He was counting the cards, right? So I guess he figured there was a possibility that there was another black 10 in play at which point he would lose a lot. Admittedly the chance of that is super remote but non-zero.

I don't know. There was no chance of him luring out more than the ten chips he'd gain by betting appropriately.

That might have been the hole in the card counting strategy I was talking about; the uncertainty bars are going to be pretty wide in this game. But at some point you've got to go for it.

I wonder if the main match would have been improved by letting the shields take more hits. That would have drawn things out a bit and let the bluff and counterbluff situation develop a bit more. But then the game was played so weakly by all participants that I don't know if it would have made a real different.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Hweejong had a bad poker face and was caught on it by someone he had no respect for. Seemed fair. We're running out of interesting characters though. I really wished we got the cast of crime scene that was not Lawyer Kang.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Soylentbits posted:

Hweejong had a bad poker face and was caught on it by someone he had no respect for. Seemed fair. We're running out of interesting characters though. I really wished we got the cast of crime scene that was not Lawyer Kang.

Other than Jinho. And the other girl who wasn't Park. So yeah, definitely Park in The Genius please.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I still think the biggest problem with this cast is the lack of boy band members :saddowns:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I don't know I think the cast is finally coming into its own now. Hweejong and Dongmin was an awesome alliance and its gonna make things very interesting now that he's out. I think the real genius is about to begin.

Also there's no way Hyunmin can go not being targeted for this long, dude is on point.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

CHiRAL posted:

I still think the biggest problem with this cast is the lack of boy band members :saddowns:

Theres only one Sunggyu :D

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
The only players who have done anything remotely interesting/clever so far are Dongmin and Hyunmin. Also Hyunmin seems way too excited and proud of himself when he announces a theory. The music is also a disappointment. I'm not sure if the lack of interesting plays is a result of the contestants or the games this season, but I'm thinking its a combination of the two. Still an entertaining show but I miss the awesome moments of Jinho's game breaking strategies and Sang min's great intuition. Dongmin seems to have some of the same charisma and natural sense of intuition so I'm finding him to be my favorite thus far.

Season 2 certainly had its flaws but Sangmin getting the token of immortality and using the fake one in a trade was probably my favorite moment of the show overall. Hoping this season has some more shockers like that instead of just easily broken games that often rely on one's group popularity.

Edit: also the card counting thing using chips in poker was already done last season so that was pretty boring. Why the heck did nobody doubt the dual swords if it was the death blow to the leader (Hweejong)? It makes no sense not to do so.

Edit2: One great improvement is that they did away with the extremely lame practice runs of each game.

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 27, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MoosetheMooche posted:

Why the heck did nobody doubt the dual swords if it was the death blow to the leader (Hweejong)? It makes no sense not to do so.

No one but Dongmin actually knew he was the leader and only one person on the opposing team even suspected him.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Agreed that we need more main matches that aren't team focused. Genius moments practically never come from team games.

I think the cast this season is actually really strong, there are a number of people who are interesting or seem very clued in, but they aren't getting the chance to show it much because the games thus far have been so terrible.

There need to be fewer team focused matches, and especially team matches where people have different roles. But when people have team focused roles, we get boring strategies based on alliances of the right player types rather than true ingenuity.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 27, 2014

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, the leader has no reason whatsoever not to doubt a killing attack on him or herself, so not doing that (even when you haven't revealed what you are) is basically a Kang-level misplay. I expected him to instead have been taking hits on his fake shield and block with his real one at the end, but nope.

The deathmatch was the best one so far in my opinion, but I agree that you should be able to fold without consequence on a double bet.

Next week's game looks sick as hell though! Looking forward to the :glomp:.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
I just started watching this so please forgive me if this common knowledge by now, is the game-master "The Genius" or does he go by a different title?

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
I think its bandage man or something

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr.Flibble posted:

I just started watching this so please forgive me if this common knowledge by now, is the game-master "The Genius" or does he go by a different title?

I think he's only been referred to as "Bandage Face".

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i thought the winner was the genius

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

MoosetheMooche posted:

Edit2: One great improvement is that they did away with the extremely lame practice runs of each game.
Is that an improvement? With a practice game on this last one you'd see much smarter play happening because immediate game ending mistakes like over-talking a move would get exposed immediately. I don't necessarily like sitting through them but I like knowing they happened because it prevents things like how this main match ended.

It feels like everyone's being SUPER conservative with their backstabs early on. There was a tone set with Kyunghoon getting offed after being the only one willing to make a (albeit pointless) dirty move. That more than the games being bad, which I think some of you are hugely overselling, is what I think is screwing things up. It's actually a lot like Liar Game in that way; a bunch of games about being filthy liars are being subverted by brutal honesty. :v:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Davincie posted:

i thought the winner was the genius

Yeah the title means this I think, tests to determine who is truly The Genius

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeah the title means this I think, tests to determine who is truly The Genius

I thought dealer nuna was the genius

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Dias posted:

I thought dealer nuna was the genius

Now you've spoiled the show for him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

My secret hope is that Sangmin shows up as a rival to the bandage man and offers spoiling goals in the main match that are counter to the winning goals but the prize is black garnets