Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Goushi looks like a badass. He's gonna go make Griforzer his bottom bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Goushi looks like a badass. He's gonna go make Griforzer his bottom bitch.

Grifforzer acts tough but at the end of the day I think Lami wears the pants in their relationship.

I hope the subtitles on the DVDs are good... that would be the deciding factor in my purchase, especially since I already downloaded the G.U.I.S./MegaAnon subbed episodes before they pulled them.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Well so much for the "Arrghus is Robo Knight" theory, which is fine because that would have made no sense if it was true. I mean, not that this show has had problems doing things that make no sense, but at least it's one less thing to complain about.

Ha ha, and of course there's no explanation for why the Turbo Falconzord is needed for the Ultimate Legendary Megazord.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Solaris Knight posted:

That boxart is terrible. Would it kill them to put in the V logo?
Wasn't a thing until Timeranger.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Did GogoV not have a V? The American sixth ranger's face was a V.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

greatn posted:

Did GogoV not have a V? The American sixth ranger's face was a V.

The Lightspeed Rescue Titanium Ranger was purely American Made

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's still the Series Logo now...I agree, I think it belongs on this boxset somewhere.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

jivjov posted:

It's still the Series Logo now...I agree, I think it belongs on this boxset somewhere.

THough I admit I like the lightning bolt better, the V is great too, especially since it shows that no matter what season it is, we always have five rangers together. (Looking for the same five stones :shepicide: .)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Solaris Knight posted:

THough I admit I like the lightning bolt better, the V is great too, especially since it shows that no matter what season it is, we always have five rangers together. (Looking for the same five stones :shepicide: .)

Tell me more about how we always have five :kheldragar:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
a lot of series start with three, even! Ninja Storm, Gekiranger/Wild Force, and technically even SPD started with 3 rangers because Red and Yellow joined after the first morph!

also I watched episode 33 of ToQger and it made me realize that the villains really do carry that show a lot. If there isn't a lot of villain interaction, it ends up not being a great episode. It was also odd that, after being poisoned, they missed a perfect opportunity for Akira to spout off about dying and have the other rangers complain about him getting them down or whatever.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 25, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stallion Cabana posted:

a lot of series start with three, even! Ninja Storm, Gekiranger/Wild Force, and technically even SPD started with 3 rangers because Red and Yellow joined after the first morph!
Dekaranger, SPD's predecessor starts with four. Red joins towards the end of the first episode.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Yes they usually have three at first or in Sun Vulcan's case, three.

Doesn't mean that Goranger, JAKQ, and Battle Fever didn't have five. :colbert:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
BTW while doing a stream the other day starting with X-men Mutant Apocalypse, I started going through and reading all the different realities that existed in the Marvel universe (read those which were dumb/weird/etc.) I came across this:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Earth-79203

sentai is a apparently a part of the Marvel universe.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mateo360 posted:

BTW while doing a stream the other day starting with X-men Mutant Apocalypse, I started going through and reading all the different realities that existed in the Marvel universe (read those which were dumb/weird/etc.) I came across this:

Ah ha, so the next season will be about dealing with the Incursions.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

mateo360 posted:

I'm pretty sure Stan Lee had a decent amount of influence in the making of Battle Fever.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

The whole reason why Super Sentai has giant robots in the first place is because of Leopardon, Spider-Man's mech in his series, and Battle Fever J, for the majority of toku history considered the first sentai at ALL was partially based on Captain America and the Avengers, hence the international motif and fighting terrorists.

Tokusatsu has its main roots in two sources. Superheroes and kabuki. Two great ham and cheese sandwiches that taste great together.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh Jesus, the only completed Den-O fansub is TV-Nihon. :negative:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Poison Mushroom posted:

I've always held the opinion that TV-N subs are better than not being able to watch a show at all. Say what you will about the honorifics and crazy fonts, but it's still a set of English language subtitles.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Poison Mushroom posted:

That's the case of almost all Rider from Kuuga to W.

jivjov posted:

I've always held the opinion that TV-N subs are better than not being able to watch a show at all. Say what you will about the honorifics and crazy fonts, but it's still a set of English language subtitles.

Marginally. I got through TV-N's Shinkenger subs, but calling them English language subs is being really really generous.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Sadly Den-O is also one of their worst "productions" as far as leaving poo poo untranslated goes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I almost prefer TV-N's Shinkenger subs just because of how overwhelmingly Japanese the show itself it. It's not a huge deal, but given that they model the team dynamic off of a feudal lord and his retainers, I feel like seeing the honorifics and the like adds to the experience.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Tell me more about how we always have five :kheldragar:

Five is the best combination.

E: RED BLUE YELLOW BEET AND STAG BUSTER

Coq au Nandos fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 26, 2014

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

jivjov posted:

I almost prefer TV-N's Shinkenger subs just because of how overwhelmingly Japanese the show itself it. It's not a huge deal, but given that they model the team dynamic off of a feudal lord and his retainers, I feel like seeing the honorifics and the like adds to the experience.

Oh hell no. It was pure awful. Power Rangers Samurai was less painful.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Solaris Knight posted:

Battle Fever J, for the majority of toku history considered the first sentai at ALL

Correction: SUPER Sentai.

Goranger and JAKQ were for a long time considered Sentai, but not Super Sentai. The difference is apparently the giant robots, which Battle Fever J was the first to have (Goranger and JAKQ just had vehicles, not robots).

Also fun to note: Goranger vs JAKQ established those series as being in the same universe as Kamen Rider and Kikaider, as Kikaider, Amazon, and V3 were shown fighting in other locations in the world. This may also be a reason why it took so long for Goranger/JAKQ to be declared Super Sentai, they weren't sure how to deal with the fact that these other heroes technically would then exist in the Super Sentai universe. In the end though, the answer turned out to be "Pretend that crossover never happened (or pretend that these guys weren't mentioned if it did)" since Narutaki specifically says that the Super Sentai universe is a world without Kamen Riders when Decade goes there.

jivjov posted:

Banana new shoe!

But yeah I agree, their subtitles are poo poo but I still watched a lot of Rider and Sentai from them as well as a couple of other things (Rescue Force wooooo), and I can't bring myself to tell someone "If your only choice is TV-N then just don't watch it or learn Japanese."

jivjov posted:

I could deal with notes about particular Japanese cultural references a lot more if they didn't do poo poo like this:

http://onoretvn.tumblr.com/post/45103156389/this-does-stick-out-more-as-tvn-refer-to-it-as

I couldn't find the one example that made me actually yell "Come ON" at my monitor on there, which is when Jii says "We'll talk with the [Japanese word] later" with at the top of the screen "[Japanese word] = accountants"

I mean that literally takes more work and effort than just actually putting the word "accountants" in the subtitles and it's not even like accountants are some weird obscure Japanese thing. The only thing I can think of that would even sort of make sense is if they were trying to go "We're teaching you Japanese words!" but no, they're really not, and they never even said that was their intention so it was just stupid.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I still say they've gotten better about it over the years. Yeah, they leave the honourifics in, so you get weird things like "Belt-san" in Drive, but that's just how they roll.

(I like the honourifics. It bugs the poo poo out of me watching a sub which doesn't use them, like Kamen Rider the First. :v:)

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

I still say they've gotten better about it over the years. Yeah, they leave the honourifics in, so you get weird things like "Belt-san" in Drive, but that's just how they roll.

(I like the honourifics. It bugs the poo poo out of me watching a sub which doesn't use them, like Kamen Rider the First. :v:)

According to Magenta's roasts of their Gaim Subs, they really haven't. Honorifics isn't even the problem people have with their subs.

And honestly I don't think anyone is too bothered by honorifics. That "issue" mostly comes down to the personal tastes of the subber and the audience. Some people like honorifics, some people don't. I don't really care either way, but I wouldn't tell someone not to watch a perfectly good sub just because they use honorifics. Being just plain bad subs on the other hand...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

My feeling is some honorifics is fine. I'm not really going to complain too much about "Belt-san." But there's no excuse for stuff like -tachi being left in the subs. poo poo, I remember seeing -tachi in Shinkenger and had to Google to find out what it meant because for all their sub notes they didn't feel a need to explain what that one meant, and it's trivially easy to just put "and the others" or "and everyone else" instead.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

As someone who doesn't speak Japanese, how do I know if TVN did good or not? Because Magenta said so? How can I verify that? If I could speak Japanese, I wouldn't need to watch subs in the first place. Maybe Magenta is a lovely translator; I just have no way of knowing. That's the issue with translation in general, that the audience isn't in a position to know if the work was done well or not; they have to rely on and trust the translator to do well because they literally don't know any better. There are apparently atrocious commercial subs out there, too, so it's an issue with translation in general, I guess, that lovely work gets put out.

I will say this; the issues Magenta brought up about TVN's workflow are, I feel, accurate. I've volunteered to do QC for them a couple of times and it's always a horrible, prolonged process which drives me away each time. When you have people who are not fluent in english critiquing an english translation, you're going to run into issues once in a while. I've told the guys at TVN how I feel about that and how I think it could be improved, but it's really up to them to decide it's a problem worth doing something about.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

As someone who doesn't speak Japanese, how do I know if TVN did good or not?

Is there something in the translation that's still in Japanese (that isn't a proper noun)? If yes the translation probably isn't that good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I will say this; the issues Magenta brought up about TVN's workflow are, I feel, accurate. I've volunteered to do QC for them a couple of times and it's always a horrible, prolonged process which drives me away each time. When you have people who are not fluent in english critiquing an english translation, you're going to run into issues once in a while. I've told the guys at TVN how I feel about that and how I think it could be improved, but it's really up to them to decide it's a problem worth doing something about.

I think it's important to actually link to said rant if you're going to mention it. Not only because it'll give people context, but because it quite honestly really deserves to be read.

If I still had trust for TV-N after the Gaim roasts (which killed my trust in a subbing group I had been following for years, even if I already had problems with them, including the -tachi said before, the "you guys" for every occasion, and especially SPACE KITA (gently caress, I don't know Japanese and I can translate that)), then this was definitely the last thing I needed to get rid of it. Even if I can't agree with everything Over-Time or Aesir does, it's still better than this.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Correction: SUPER Sentai.

Goranger and JAKQ were for a long time considered Sentai, but not Super Sentai. The difference is apparently the giant robots, which Battle Fever J was the first to have (Goranger and JAKQ just had vehicles, not robots).

Also fun to note: Goranger vs JAKQ established those series as being in the same universe as Kamen Rider and Kikaider, as Kikaider, Amazon, and V3 were shown fighting in other locations in the world. This may also be a reason why it took so long for Goranger/JAKQ to be declared Super Sentai, they weren't sure how to deal with the fact that these other heroes technically would then exist in the Super Sentai universe. In the end though, the answer turned out to be "Pretend that crossover never happened (or pretend that these guys weren't mentioned if it did)" since Narutaki specifically says that the Super Sentai universe is a world without Kamen Riders when Decade goes there.

Ah, but that's why I said for the MAJORITY of toku history. Until Ohranger, when they wanted a nice round number to use as an anniversary.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Reading that made me remember that I was enjoying Rockman.EXE Axess and was really bummed when they stopped doing it.

Also reading the part about misleading people and making them misunderstand the major plot points of a show reminded me of Kamen Rider Blade and their subs basically implying that Tachibana could control the Undead and how that confused the hell out of me for a good while.

Anyway I can kind of understand the idea that hey, if I don't speak Japanese, I can't really tell that subs are good. I mean I understood that stupid poo poo like "ORE SANJOU" in the subs was bad subbing...during the Kabuto arc of Decade, I was really annoyed that they didn't translate any of the Den-O form catch phrases, and thus had literally no idea what they meant since I hadn't watched Den-O yet. I also understood that stuff like "My bag of tolerance has snapped!" during Heartcatch was a bad translation too, since as a native English speaker I can tell that's probably a literal translation of what Cure Blossom is saying and so it sounds unnatural.

But as far as plot or what characters are generally saying, I have no clue. Like Blade mentioned earlier, I had no clue that stuff was badly translated, for all I knew the show itself was actually saying Tachibana could control Undead and then just dropped that or pretended it didn't happen. The fact that Magenta was doing those Gaim roasts though makes me feel that his subs are at least acceptable and he probably knows what he's talking about. If he was just making stuff up I'm sure at least one other person who knows Japanese would have said "Yeah this guy is full of poo poo" unless there was some giant conspiracy.

Solaris Knight posted:

Ah, but that's why I said for the MAJORITY of toku history. Until Ohranger, when they wanted a nice round number to use as an anniversary.

I was just kinda splitting hairs. Even when they weren't considered Super Sentai, Goranger/JAKQ were still considered Sentai. It's just your post said they weren't considered Sentai at all and Battle Fever was considered the first. Which isn't technically true, it was considered the first Super Sentai, not the first Sentai.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Apologies to Burk for my kind of mean rant against you earlier. I listened to the last half season of the podcast, and you really weren't even annoying at all. I think maybe the difference is I listen to talky podcasts at 1.5x speed now, so you were sped up a little and your voice wasn't as low/slow.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Apologies to Burk for my kind of mean rant against you earlier. I listened to the last half season of the podcast, and you really weren't even annoying at all. I think maybe the difference is I listen to talky podcasts at 1.5x speed now, so you were sped up a little and your voice wasn't as low/slow.

It's cool man. I was amused by it more than anything.

I might also be getting better because there's a whole lot more for me to like!

...so have fun with Turtle week I guess!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Burkion posted:

It's cool man. I was amused by it more than anything.

I might also be getting better because there's a whole lot more for me to like!

...so have fun with Turtle week I guess!

Turtle week is over. In Space starts tomorrow. Speaking of which, I kinda botched my editing so my part of the audio is gonna sound weird this week including some spots where I am only in one channel. Sorry.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
First In Space podcast broken for anyone else? After about three minutes it just blanks out into a sin wave.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

greatn posted:

First In Space podcast broken for anyone else? After about three minutes it just blanks out into a sin wave.

Yeah I'm having the same problem. The audio cuts out after about the first minute and stays that way for the rest of the podcast.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Ugh, alright. I forgot to put the intro in so I had a half exported file, but I forgot to export this finished one. Or maybe my broken audio broke everything. Give me a fee hours and I'll fix it when I get home.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Oh hey people beyond me care about the dumb Power Rangers podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I just bookended my collection for a couple months. :v: