Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Frankosity posted:

That does make way more sense, and then makes it pretty cool :v:

Dire sea anemone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Unrelated to current requests/discussion, old-timey mechs!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fuego Fish posted:

Unrelated to current requests/discussion, old-timey mechs!

The Polish-Soviet War with mecha and battle bears. :poland:

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I suppose that calls for an obligatory mention of Keith Thompson's art for Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan trilogy.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

It disappoints me that Hollywood has yet to do an adaptation of a Westerfeld work, either Leviathan or Uglies. They're the only YA dystopians I'm actually interested in seeing on the big screen.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Leviathan kind of let me down because it has this great potential between the setting and little details here and there, but ends up just being a typical YA travelogue adventure story. The ending comes about so abruptly and with a few loose ends that I can't help but feel like there should have been one or two more books that got cut. Ultimately I guess I'll just forever long for something more developed and mature to really fill out the whole 'dieselpunk v. biopunk World War' concept.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Veyrall posted:

And then you find out that, like a lot of those really enormous sea critters, it eats plankton filtered from seawater and also can't even close its mouth.

Well, things that are equivalent to plankton size, anyhow. :kheldragar:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Anyone have any depictions of magic or the supernatural being used for completely mundane tasks in a modern setting? I'm talking things like food preparation, taking out the garbage, office work, whatever. Anything you would expect a random nobody to be doing in their day-to-day life, only with some sort of magical or supernatural element.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Murderion posted:

Well, things that are equivalent to plankton size, anyhow. :kheldragar:
Fun fact: Big, terrifying things are waaaay less likely to kill you than this guy:

Smallpox!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
WIZARD HEADS

quote:

Number Appearing: 1-12
Size: Human head plus wee limbs
Armor: None
Resilience: Can withstand physical damage as a human head on wee limbs
Intelligence: Exceptionally brainy
Communication: Speak several languages with high-pitched parody of human speech, mutter to one another in personal language as well as shared telepathic link
Disposition: Mood swings as typical in megalomaniacs
Violence: Dagger, spells, bites like hell
Enemies: Fools who dare interfere with their diabolical schemes
Aims: Identical to immediate ancestor only even crazier/more ambitious
Peculiarities:
- Heinous result of over-indulgence in the black arts, a lifetime of questionable choices/practices, triggered by particularly risky eldritch activity (contacting outer being, casting spells requiring inhuman faculties, etc) whereupon the sorcerer's body suddenly explodes leaving only the head behind which then erupts from within spewing out larval wizard heads, each growing into nearly identical copies (excepting tiny limbs, rows of fangs, and extended jaw) of the original
- Operate independently but also able to form single super intelligence at need
- Arcane abilities increase in power in direct proportion to the number of heads in proximity (single head equal to fledgling wizard, twelve heads as per arch-mage)
Treasure: Hoard inherited from original sorcerer

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
See now that website is awesome thanks for sharing it.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Got more art to show off:

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
That hair, That ruff, those sleeves; amazing.

Although on my phone, I first mistook the sleeves as giant muscly arms, which also works well I guess.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

djw175 posted:

Does anyone have other images of absolutely massive creatures like this? I think I might do something with them in a game.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

The Abhorsen trilogy is a young adult fantasy series that ages immensely well and is a joy to read. Strong female protagonist too, a bit early before it became a Thing.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Veyrall posted:

The Abhorsen trilogy is a young adult fantasy series that ages immensely well and is a joy to read. Strong female protagonist too, a bit early before it became a Thing.

If you can find them the audio books are great, they're read by Tim Curry.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Beardless posted:

If you can find them the audio books are great, they're read by Tim Curry.

The audiobook versions are absolutely wonderful, I read the books years ago but loved rereading them in audio book form a few months ago. Tim Curry does a fantastic job.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I sketched out an undead elven priestess/necromancer that I'm playing in a 13th Age game. :toot:

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

From a few pages back, but...This is a colourized photo

quote:

The monk pictured in the above photo, taken in 1925, seems to be performing the dance known as Durdak Garcham, “Dance of the Lords of the Cemetery.” The dance celebrates the liberation that comes from acceptance of our impermanence.

The skeletons depicted in the dance are Chitipati, a pair of lovers known as the Lord and Lady of the charnel ground whose dance represents the eternal dance of death, as well as the attainment of perfect consciousness. They are worldy guardians, They are typically depicted as skeletons, each with a third eye of wisdom, holding scepters made of human heads and spines in one hand and a blood-filled kapala, sometimes with a still warm brain inside, in the other hand.

The Lord and Lady can usually be distinguished from other skeleton deities by the crowns with five small human skulls, as well as the fan-shaped ornaments on their ears. They represent a “dynamic vision of death and transformation” and a “joyous freedom from attachment” rather than “morbid pessimism” as the imagery conveys in Western societies.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I need more pictures of horizon-spanning monstrosities. Creatures of unimaginably vast size and utterly alien, enormous, yet pictured from a great distance - so far that they're practically only visible as silouettes.

Stuff like these:

Or pretty much every Eldrazi from MTG.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Also just because

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
I'd like to see some older female spellcasters who - with apologies to the present season - aren't particularly "witchy." Pathetically, all that I could find thus far:

Oligopsony fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 23, 2014

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Oligopsony posted:

I'd like to see some older female spellcasters who - with apologies to the present season - aren't particularly "witchy." Pathetically, all that I could find thus far:

This one is more hermity than witchy to me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

As per usual I come bearing Wesnoth portraits.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Wesnoth question: I seem to remember older versions having more cartoony portraits. Were those yours, too? If so, can ya post some?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I finished a thing.

Reene fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 25, 2014

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
If anyone's got any Wuxia/Chinese fantasy stuff (particularly non-cheesecakey female warriors) that would be awesome!

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
First, something more fantasy oriented

Next, some things from Weapons of the Gods, both the gamebook and the mmo

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

You should totally check out the art for the new MtG block Khans of Tarkir. Some good examples here:

EDIT: Also, none cheesecake warrior lady, from the set.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 26, 2014

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Wesnoth question: I seem to remember older versions having more cartoony portraits. Were those yours, too? If so, can ya post some?

Most of these aren't drawn by me (the Dwarves and the Drakes are the two big sets I did, plus a few singles, incidentals and campaigns here and there), the majority of the portraits are drawn by an artist called Kitty. (Her full name is in the credits, but I forget it offhand). A lot of the rest are by another great artist who goes/went by LordBob.

I don't have easy online access to many of the older portraits any more, but you should be able to find them by downloading older versions of the game.

The older certoony portraits were mostly deprecated but a few do still hang around in odler campaigns. Under the Burning Suns, in particular, has a bunch of the decent older-style portraits: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/tree/master/data/campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns/images/portraits

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

djw175 posted:

Does anyone have other images of absolutely massive creatures like this? I think I might do something with them in a game.

Jahbulon as depicted in From Hell

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
The art continues to be the best thing about D&D Next

http://christopherburdett.blogspot.com/

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Yo kidz, check out the Supersoaker™ Cyber-X 5000!!!!!!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

gently caress this, the worst of all cyberpunk realities, for not looking more like what was promised in the 80s

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Clipperton posted:

If anyone's got any Wuxia/Chinese fantasy stuff (particularly non-cheesecakey female warriors) that would be awesome!

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Khans of Tarkir is the best set. :allears:

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010

Reene posted:

I finished a thing.

Great work, I like the coloring and imperial look of the character. I think you could make it look a little less flat by adding some perspective to the seat. Just a couple parallel lines on the arms and legs might work. But thanks for sharing your work.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Reene posted:

Khans of Tarkir is the best set. :allears:

It's great art, a bit more Central Asian than Chinese but pre-Mongol Central Asia was totally badass so that's all right. Thanks everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

LongDarkNight posted:

The art continues to be the best thing about D&D Next

http://christopherburdett.blogspot.com/

I hope the background on this thing is 'Though buoyed by the relative success of creatures like the camel and platypus, the gods eventually discovered that their committee-design schemes would have tragic consequences.'