Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Stalins Moustache posted:

In my opinion, she still has one of the world's best pop songs ever. It's just so timeless. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGwZ7MNtBFU

I can't decide if I prefer Cool or Four In The Morning. They're both 10/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

In my opinion, she still has one of the world's best pop songs ever. It's just so timeless. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGwZ7MNtBFU

I knew what the song was before I clicked the link.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

the truth posted:

I knew what the song was before I clicked the link.

As did I, because the artist and title appear at the top of the video

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Jesus Love. Angel. Music. Baby. is 10 years old in a few weeks :psyduck:

Paperhouse posted:

As did I, because the artist and title appear at the top of the video

Not everyone has embedding enabled.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Gwen Stefani is an ageless wizard

Seriously, she looks the same as she did in 1995. Which is to say fantastic.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Disappointed that that video wasn't "What You Waiting For?"

In other news, TSwift apparently topped the Canadian iTunes charts with 8 seconds of white noise.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
All About That Static.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

While i did not like every song by her, even ~16y/o me could tell she had some solid stuff going on.
"What you waiting for" is my favorite track of hers still.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Athletic Footjob posted:

All About That Static.

No Treble.. or bass or vocals or instrumental.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
So the new Taylor Swift is just great. I'm loving it so far. I've never really been much of a fan of hers, liked about half of Red, but this is solid all the way through. I'm really impressed. Might also help that she's trying to look like Debbie Harry lately.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
'Style' and 'Get the Girl' on the new Taylor Swift are catchy as the dickens.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's out for you guys? Atlantic Ocean :argh:

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
It got leaked. :v:

Blank Space is amazing, btw.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Wandle Cax posted:

Seriously, she looks the same as she did in 1995. Which is to say fantastic.

Girl's got so much foundation on in that video she looks like Michael Jackson.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Iggy Azalea was on SNL last night and it was not very good. Without Charli XCX, Fancy is surprisingly mediocre.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Iggy Azalea was on SNL last night and it was not very good. Without Charli XCX, Fancy is surprisingly mediocre.
Well that and she was exclusively lip synching, and badly too.

Somebody made an Aphex Twin/Taylor Swift mashup album and parts of it actually work pretty well, what the gently caress :staredog:

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmUCd62jjKk

Charli XCX is a way better rapper than Iggy. Brunette supremacy as usual

juniperjones posted:

Ultraviolence is one of my favorite albums of all time. It's amazingly consistent and a huge leap in quality over Born To Die (Which I was obsessed with, but I skipped half the songs when I listened to it).

I think people take what she says a little too seriously. Sometimes she's dead serious, sometimes she's joking and I love her bizarre sense of humor.

Plus her VOICE. And the loving album was recorded LIVE. That's insane. Who does that!? Who even could?

The thing is, it's not a pop album; it's a Lana Del Rey album, and a very good one, on vinyl. Unfortunately the CD is very badly mastered, which I think accounts for some of the negative reception; way too much artificially-jacked bass, not nearly enough treble, and the usual excessive compression. Which is a shame, because the all-analog approach was definitely in the right direction.

Taylor's "Wildest Dreams" totally is a parody of Lana's "Without You"

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 27, 2014

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Either I'm going deaf or there is something "wrong" with Gwen Stefani's new song. Listening to the song on Spotify, it sounds like the sound has been incredibly compressed and had a relatively low quality. This could be a streaming issue with the song, but I noticed this as well on the music video but then I dismissed it as it seemed like the video had been filmed in a low-quality format for some reason.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Iggy is really bad, and I wish people would start realizing all the people she's collaborating with are the ones making her famous. I also saw Charli live a few weeks back and she was awesome.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
I'm probably late to this but I would imagine 'The Cool Kids' would be popular with Lorde's crowd.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
God bless whatever wild thought caused Tay to pick up a synth, because 1989 is fantastic. The only thing that will make me stop listening to it on repeat is if Kanye comes out with an album this year.

Style would not be out of place on the Drive soundtrack, and that's the best thing.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

The thing is, it's not a pop album; it's a Lana Del Rey album, and a very good one, on vinyl. Unfortunately the CD is very badly mastered, which I think accounts for some of the negative reception; way too much artificially-jacked bass, not nearly enough treble, and the usual excessive compression. Which is a shame, because the all-analog approach was definitely in the right direction.

Taylor's "Wildest Dreams" totally is a parody of Lana's "Without You"

It's definitely a pop album (gently caress, Sonic Youth were pop, I'm pretty sure Lana Del Rey is pop) it's just not a typical 2014 pop album. I should definitely buy it on Vinyl. I've just been listening to some torrent rip I downloaded.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Wow, 1989 is amazing.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Dang I love that GTA remix of Fancy. Pretty cool to see Charli XCX use that one live.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

It's a real shame. His first two albums were actually pretty varied and not bad at all. It was only after 'We Found Love' blew up and everyone was asking for a 'the next We Found Love' his stuff fell into a rut.
He does have that Slow Acid song on his new album which is pretty whatever, but it's different. I guess it's his way of pandering to his older fans.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wow, 1989 is amazing.

Yeah, after a couple of listens, I'm really, really pleased with this. Almost makes up for the fact that 2013 kicks the poo poo out of 2014 musically. (we'll see how 'Ye's new one sounds)

Style and Blank Space are definitely my favorites, but the record execs would be fools to not release How to Get the Girl as the next single, it's the most radio ready song on the album, and I'm including Shake It Off, the most First Single-y first single I think I've ever heard. I also love Tay-does-Lana Wildest Dreams, and Tay-does-Katy Bad Blood, and after a few more listens, Out of the Woods sounds really out of place, but mostly because it sounds like it would be much more at home on the Bleachers album (which is also pretty good). I also have a soft spot for Welcome to New York, just because the first time I listened to it (last week when it came out on iTunes), a giant smile crept across my face because I knew if it was as good at introducing the album as State of Grace, it would be a combination of two of my favorite things: Tay's sense of romanticism, and synthesizers out the rear end.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

'It's a new soundtrack, I could dance to this beat'

1989 is a very good album, probably something that a lot of 'someone-goes-pop' will be compared against (I guess the stuff on 'Red' was a bit of a practice run to see if she could pull it off?). Like mentioned before it does have a couple of 'Tay-does-someone' - Lorde, Lana, Katy - but they're done well (even if 'Bad Blood' is one of the weakest tracks), especially 'Wildest Dreams' (that sigh aaaAAHH HAAaaa). Turns out that I really like her lower register ('Out Of The Woods', 'Wildest Dreams', bits all over the album actually). The production is super synth-heavy and is pretty jamming (and the guitars in 'Style' hhnnngg) with some cool touches here and there.

My favourites in no order in particular except running order are 'Blank Space', 'Style', 'Out of the Woods', 'Wildest Dreams', 'New Romantics'.

(she sounds so adorable on the memos *melts*)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Goddamn Taylor knocks it out of the park on this album. In terms of Pop albums this year, this one sits very high up to the top. She has really embraced a lot of different influences and the production could be best she has ever done. These will play really great in stadiums. Also it made me really happy to hear the pro gay lyric on Welcome to New York.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 28, 2014

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

About to listen to 1989 for the first time. Not a huge Taylor fan, but I've heard nothing but good.

edit: holy gently caress this is amazing.

PUGGERNAUT fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 29, 2014

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Yep, never thought I'd fully enjoy a Taylor Swift album, but this is really good.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah, the album's pretty awesome. I was worried about repetitive choruses because of the pre-release tracks, but "Blank Space" shot those fears down with a silver bullet. Also, "Clean" is maybe the most depressing song Taylor Swift has ever written.

More thoughts: people really hate "Bad Blood," but I'm okay with it. I really like the bridge, but I can freely admit that listening to it over and over would be really grating. "Shake it Off" sounds so out of place on this album, haha.

Here's an in-depth review of it I really like: http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3711328

How come we don't have a separate thread for her, anyways? She's only one of the biggest musicians in the industry at the moment.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I listened to the album. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. It's way more palatable than anything she's done before in my eyes. Style is the loving poo poo, though. Why the hell was Shake It Off the lead single? gently caress Shake It Off. Style should've been.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

kurona_bright posted:

More thoughts: people really hate "Bad Blood," but I'm okay with it. I really like the bridge, but I can freely admit that listening to it over and over would be really grating.

That's the only song I skipped before finishing the first time I listened to the album. Knew it was gonna be poo poo after the first 2 seconds.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Bad Blood is actually pretty catchy to me, and I absolutely HATE welcome to new york (im surprised it seems to be one of the more popular tracks here. It's awful)

I've never listened to Taylor Swift much, but this album is good. Style is indeed awesome.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I listened to the album. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. It's way more palatable than anything she's done before in my eyes. Style is the loving poo poo, though. Why the hell was Shake It Off the lead single? gently caress Shake It Off. Style should've been.

'Shake It Off' is arguably the most radio-friendly track on the album so it was an easy safe choice. 'Style' will probably be the 'why wasn't this released as a single it's the best one gently caress' song people will be angry about.

troll for dollars
Jan 10, 2005
Album has its issues. "Welcome to New York" is awful, the type of song that would show up in a parody tourism video. "Shake It Off" is a good song but doesn't really fit in with the rest of the album. "Bad Blood" is fine until "bandaids don't fix bullet holes", but that may just be a personal dislike of going from talking about knives to guns; pick a metaphor and run with it. "Wildest Dreams" does nothing for me, but it's not aggressively bad. "Clean" is a fine song but not a great closer; it seems crazy that "You Are In Love" and "New Romantics" are deluxe only tracks.

Most of the rest of the songs are perfectly fine. "Blank Space" is growing on me and "Style" is amazing and definitely making my top 10 tracks of the year list.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I really like it, but it's definitely a bit long and I really don't like the ballad-y tracks. Are We Out of the Woods? and Style are clear favourites so far.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I agree with the length, it's REALLY long. I feel like the first half of the album is REALLY strong (except welcome to new york barf) and I lose interest around when Bad Blood ends and I usually just start over again (at Blank Space).

I also love Clean though. I think my other problem (which isnt really the albums fault) is that Taylor has hooked up with.......everyone in Hollywood and her songs get kinda silly. Almost every song is about a break up or falling in love with a different person, and it starts to get repetitive.

I dont mind it that much, some of these tracks are ridiculously catchy.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

somnambulist posted:

I also love Clean though. I think my other problem (which isnt really the albums fault) is that Taylor has hooked up with.......everyone in Hollywood and her songs get kinda silly. Almost every song is about a break up or falling in love with a different person, and it starts to get repetitive.

I dont mind it that much, some of these tracks are ridiculously catchy.

I don't know that she really has since Red came out, though. She dated Harry Styles, but that's about it. I mean, she dated a bit more back in the day, but even then, I think she exorcized most of the demons from those relationships in Fearless, Speak Now, and Red.

Aside from a few key moments (Out of the Woods, which is obviously about Styles), most of her new songs are much vaguer about who they're about, which kinda leads me to believe that they're not about a person, but an idea, or just a wish. I mean, who doesn't want a dude who looks like a James Dean Daydream?

Also, I'm not really missing the ballads that much. We got This Love and You Are In Love, and she already perfected the sappy ballad with Enchanted, and the breakup ballad with All Too Well. I want more songs like Style and Blank Space.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Yoshifan823 posted:

I don't know that she really has since Red came out, though. She dated Harry Styles, but that's about it. I mean, she dated a bit more back in the day, but even then, I think she exorcized most of the demons from those relationships in Fearless, Speak Now, and Red.

Aside from a few key moments (Out of the Woods, which is obviously about Styles), most of her new songs are much vaguer about who they're about, which kinda leads me to believe that they're not about a person, but an idea, or just a wish. I mean, who doesn't want a dude who looks like a James Dean Daydream?

Also, I'm not really missing the ballads that much. We got This Love and You Are In Love, and she already perfected the sappy ballad with Enchanted, and the breakup ballad with All Too Well. I want more songs like Style and Blank Space.

Yeah, this. When people start talking about Taylor Swift's music is only about guys she has dated, I start to wonder if that's true because if she had written so many songs about them she would have dated every guy in NYC by now. I always thought that Taylor's music was inspired by relationships in general, not neccesarily the relationships she has been in. She sings about the ideal love, the ideal romance, and her sad songs are about the most heartbreaking situations one can experience in a relationship. I figured that's one of the reasons why her music is so popular because her writing style is so incredibly general in the way that everyone can relate to what she's writing about to some degree, and not think that "Yeah, that song is definately about the guy she dated then."

Of course there are exceptions, however :v:
And I can't stop listening to Style. Seriously, I did not expect such a good pop album from Taylor, but I agree that it's way too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I feel like Clean indicates that she doesn't even want a relationship right now.
"10 months sober / I must admit / Just because you're clean don't mean you don't miss it. / 10 months older / I won't give in / Now that I'm clean / I'm never going to risk it"

Some songs are about Harry Styles, but yeah, I think some of the other ones are based off an idea.

Edit: But her earlier songs are definitely based off of relationships. Back to December, Dear John, All Too Well, Never Getting Back Together, Teardrops on My Guitar... She definitely writes a lot about real people on previous albums. This one not so much.
I find it a bit strange for her songs to be called general, since the lyrics can be incredibly specific at times. "So here we are again / In the middle of the night / We're dancing round the kitchen in the refrigerator light" .

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 30, 2014