Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know medusas are good, but this seems a little excessive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
They are pretty amazing. But pilot skills make whatever you are flying punch as a hull class above - and then some. A Medusa is by far the best destroyer and has been for years. Same with the wolf. Heck I remember watching videos of people kiting and killing entire fleets with the hyperion. I haven't seen one sold but it got nerfed into the ground by costing 15pts to field.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Don't forget the innate 50% damage reduction that the player ship gets.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've been playing with that turned off given the apparent nosedive in difficulty in the latest patch.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
My AI piloted Wolf is pretty much the hero of the fleet simply due to the fact that its so fast and has the max level crew that it can more or less tie up 2/3rds of a enemy fleet by itself by just being an evasive motherfucker while the rest of my ships go around killing the enemy fleet stragglers. Also Brawlers with a hypervelocity driver and a heavy mauler along with to annihilators are hilarious. They can punch stupidly high above their weight and my one with max crew level can frequently kill destroyers and cruisers.

Can't do poo poo to capitals though...

DFlux fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 27, 2014

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Vanilla is not very challenging once you get a very high end ship like the Medusa/ get good at piloting. Mods tend to fill in where the main game fails - for instance, several small touches that are standard in compilation mods now (randomized/better variants, AI admirals with aptitudes) significantly hike up the difficulty. Vanilla intends to incorporate this down the road too, but Alex has been postponing it for a long time now. I assume the biggest direct difficulty hike in combat terms will arrive with the Officers patch, for instance you won't know instantly what kind of AI the enemy fleet has. Facing down a suicidal Lasher is very different from fighting a cautious one.

The gold standard of gently caress you gameplay has usually been Voidwalking in Uomoz' Sector - you start as hostile to EVERYTHING, owning a base in hyperspace, only able to construct Hounds, with the chance to loot blueprints based on stuff you kill. Hopefully we'll see that back in once we start getting on top of the new implementation methods.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The Falcon costs 5 logistics, a burn speed of 4, and a very good top speed on top of maneuvering jets. It's an oversized Hammerhead with better range mods and bigger energy mounts.

You can also make a pretty baller midline fleet once you get up to being able to put augmented engines on everything (and use ships that benefit from them) and a few points in navigation; A Heron with Destroyer support rolling around at Burn 7 with no tugs is pretty nice.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If you're looking for a different and larger challenge early, go pick a fight with one of the other factions. The Hegemony seem to be a pretty good target in Vanilla: it makes the high-tech Tri-tachyon happier in Valhalla, most of their military ships can be found elsewhere, and they're the most prevalent of factions so you're not going to run out of fleets to fight any time soon.

EDIT: I should note that I fought one mid-sized fleet and cratered my reputation by 100 points, from ~50 to -50.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 27, 2014

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Vanilla is not very challenging once you get a very high end ship like the Medusa/ get good at piloting. Mods tend to fill in where the main game fails - for instance, several small touches that are standard in compilation mods now (randomized/better variants, AI admirals with aptitudes) significantly hike up the difficulty. Vanilla intends to incorporate this down the road too, but Alex has been postponing it for a long time now. I assume the biggest direct difficulty hike in combat terms will arrive with the Officers patch, for instance you won't know instantly what kind of AI the enemy fleet has. Facing down a suicidal Lasher is very different from fighting a cautious one.

The gold standard of gently caress you gameplay has usually been Voidwalking in Uomoz' Sector - you start as hostile to EVERYTHING, owning a base in hyperspace, only able to construct Hounds, with the chance to loot blueprints based on stuff you kill. Hopefully we'll see that back in once we start getting on top of the new implementation methods.

Also I don't think I've seen a Pirate ship that didn't have a green crew.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Taerkar posted:

Also I don't think I've seen a Pirate ship that didn't have a green crew.

All AI fleets have a green crew, at the moment. Known bug.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Man, carrier fleets are loving awesome in this game. I've never really put together a proper fleet before, but I just traded my way up to a pretty drat efficient trading/bounty hunting fleet. I started with a core of 2 Mules and then picked up a Condor with 1 Broadsword squadron and 2 Piranha squadrons. A few in-system food-crisis runs later and I have:

2 Mules
2 Condors
2 Shepards
1 Mercury for boarding
2 Broadsword wings
2 Gladius wings
2 Dagger wings
2 Talon wings
2 Piranha wings
1 Thunder wing

It's amazing, there's nothing better than kicking back with all your actual ships well behind the lines while you casually mark pirates for death with strike commands. I've had no problems against any of the (green) pirate armadas I've taken on and I think I could put up a pretty good fight against some other faction fleets if I expanded a bit more. Plus whenever I feel like it I can also move a whole lot of goods at once, which helps with the massive debris fields usually left behind.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Every time I think about getting a combat freighter I slap myself then go "wait, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard" because 2 combat freighters =/= 1 x real combat ship + 1 x real freighter.

If pirates and the like actively hunted your ships (ie, they can specifically target your freighters or force them into battles) it'd be much more risky having really fragile freighters but currently you can just not deploy them and not risk them in the slightest, while your actual combat ships just go to town and murder everything.

Also re cruisers feeling anaemic: I think a big problem is that the enforcer is basically a miniature cruiser which is arguably just as good as a cruiser in most aspects given that it has more useful mounts than the eagle, venture and the.. falcon(the tiny eagle, I forget the name because it's worthless) do. I think the only way they can make cruisers more attractive is by nerfing the poo poo out of the enforcer (make it 3 x medium 2 x small ballistic or something), and maybe make the medusa even more tricky to field.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

There's a lot of balance issues that the game could do with taking a look at. First of all the dev really needs to rework the skill tree or scrap it entirely. I think a good way to go about it would be to rework it along with the introduction of characters and officers, perhaps introduce several skill tree's that go along with different character classes and work from there. The player character should, ideally, focus on leadership skills and delegate work to other characters. Some would be industry focused and lead civilian fleets that either trade, mine or build. Other's would lead squads in your main fleet and form groups you can order about. Say you have a frigate fleet with one or two destroyers, toss a character into one a durable destroyer and give him three frigates for a wolf pack and see what he can do from a flank attack while you maneuver another group at a different part of the map. Ships shouldn't be deployed single but in groups that gain veterancy together, kind of like how army traditions work in Rome 2.

I also really don't like the way fleets work at all. You just bump into each other and engage from there, I would like it there was some way to avoid running headlong into an enemy fleet, perhaps by introducing a mechanic where you have to be on top of the fleet for a few seconds to intercept so you actually have to be faster than the fleet to catch it, not just touch edges. This way you could create fast attack fleets that can't easily be run down and would be especially thematic for smuggling, but it would probably work best for AI fleets since its so easy for a player to abuse it. But theoretically you could create fast trade fleets from shuttles that can't move a lot of cargo but also won't be caught out by larger pirate fleets.

Another thing I'd like is that when the AI fleets do battle they actually take a while, perhaps a day or two to resolve. This way you don't see two massive fleets engage each other and instantly pop.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

Every time I think about getting a combat freighter I slap myself then go "wait, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard" because 2 combat freighters =/= 1 x real combat ship + 1 x real freighter.

If pirates and the like actively hunted your ships (ie, they can specifically target your freighters or force them into battles) it'd be much more risky having really fragile freighters but currently you can just not deploy them and not risk them in the slightest, while your actual combat ships just go to town and murder everything.

Also re cruisers feeling anaemic: I think a big problem is that the enforcer is basically a miniature cruiser which is arguably just as good as a cruiser in most aspects given that it has more useful mounts than the eagle, venture and the.. falcon(the tiny eagle, I forget the name because it's worthless) do. I think the only way they can make cruisers more attractive is by nerfing the poo poo out of the enforcer (make it 3 x medium 2 x small ballistic or something), and maybe make the medusa even more tricky to field.

The Venture is a pretty good combat freighter, comes with a flight deck, lots of missiles, fast missile systems, good mounts for flak defence, and 500 cargo capacity.

It can be a missile cruiser, a freighter, and a carrier, as well as a pretty good anti-fighter ship, it's also very cheap to field. Only problem is it's slow.

I also, strange as it may seem, recommend the Dram, because with some mods it's fast enough to serve as a serviceable pursuit ship against fleeing freighters.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 27, 2014

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
I don't get the cruiser hate, they're a major step up from destroyers in pretty much all respects and they're not prohibitively expensive to maintain. I run with a destroyer heavy fleet as they're the backbone but the cruisers can take many times the punishment of a destroyer. Without them I couldn't handle being outnumbered or a capital fleet.

My AI controlled Eagle will wreck 2-3 Enforcers mostly by itself thanks to massively superior flux capacity/venting and manoeuvrability. A pack of frigates stand no chance. :confused:

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

So, I've kept Asharu in a constant state of instability by selling its food shortages entirely on the black market. But its ok, since I make the rep back by killing Pirates (in Corvus).

The other plus side, is since Asharu is constant unstable, its market prices have almost weekly shortages, which gives me a pretty good place to sell supplies, fuel, and pretty much whatever else is cheap on Jangala.

I feel like I'm an awful person, but the money in my bank don't lie~~

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Brainbread posted:

So, I've kept Asharu in a constant state of instability by selling its food shortages entirely on the black market. But its ok, since I make the rep back by killing Pirates (in Corvus).

The other plus side, is since Asharu is constant unstable, its market prices have almost weekly shortages, which gives me a pretty good place to sell supplies, fuel, and pretty much whatever else is cheap on Jangala.

I feel like I'm an awful person, but the money in my bank don't lie~~

I thought smuggling was no big deal, just a few -3 rep hits here and there, but then they started an investigation into the smuggling and found me guilty, and I lost 130 rep in an instant.

So, you know, there's that to watch out for.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I sold some drugs I got off a smuggler on Asharu and I have apparently destabalized it forever. Months later and those drugs I sold were apparently so powerful that the place has been at 0 stability since.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Hilariously I've gotten investigated when I showed up in system with a load of food before one of the stations went into shortages. I've occasionally waited on market disruptions when they involved food and was never checked when I showed up a couple weeks later with an Atlas filled to the brim. But that one time I basically ended the problem before it again, "We are currently investigating if someone was manipulating the market, <name> is a person of suspicion" and then dinged -5 rep for being guilty.

Mind, I haven't had many market disruptions ever since I started rolling around the galaxy blowing up pirates. Only really see problems for the Hegemony nowadays. Wonder why~...

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Carcer posted:

I sold some drugs I got off a smuggler on Asharu and I have apparently destabalized it forever. Months later and those drugs I sold were apparently so powerful that the place has been at 0 stability since.

Sold them straight into the water supply huh?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I took a -50 rep from a smuggling investigation following my purchase of a Dram tanker from the black market. drat, guys. I was just trying to save a few grand.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Recommendations for Aurora fits? Finally found one.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I'm having good times with heavy blasters in the front mediums, IR pulses in the front small energys, and Burst PDs in the rest. For the missiles I have a Hurricane MIRV, but I'm probably gonna switch it out for a Cyclone Reaper soon, the smalls are 2x Annihilators and 2x Harpoons. You should definitely put a front shield generator on it since it makes the shield a full 360° and halves its insane upkeep requirements. Also get as many vents and capacitors as you can in that order. I should mention that my character has the full tech skill tree unlocked so I have +30% ordnance points so a stock one might not be able to fit everything.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Arrath posted:

I took a -50 rep from a smuggling investigation following my purchase of a Dram tanker from the black market. drat, guys. I was just trying to save a few grand.

It would be nice if there was a tier between strictly-on-the-level and black market, like a used car salesman with a bad combover. He could sell (D) ships but you only find out what the defects are after you buy it. No refunds buddy!

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

andrew smash posted:

It would be nice if there was a tier between strictly-on-the-level and black market, like a used car salesman with a bad combover. He could sell (D) ships but you only find out what the defects are after you buy it. No refunds buddy!
Only if he lives off-planet so you can follow him home to extort and murder him.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

ghetto wormhole posted:

Sold them straight into the water supply huh?

Apparently. The place is also almost eternally suffering a food shortage so I think it may have just been the most potent weed ever.

Also holy poo poo missiles are so much more fun to use now. Every ship I have has harpoon MRMs mounted on them so every engagement opens with a barrage of missiles that just punches holes in the enemy fleets.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Salamanders will completely ruin anything without omni-shields. It's an especially vicious one-two punch against hostile frigates because after they get flamed out they can't even maneuver their shields for protection as they spin helplessly into your fleet.

I think engines might be bugged to be taking too much damage, but for now they're devastating. I've running my AI Lashers with a rack each of Salamanders and Harpoons for a nice setup-finisher combo, and the AI doesn't care how many weapon groups need micromanaging.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I found a single Cerberus frigate pirate group just after starting a new mission.

Surprise: it was holding 290 drugs.

Sad thing was, it was way more than my fleet could hold, and try as I might I couldn't manage to get to a port before half of it was destroyed from a lack of supplies malfunction (tried quickloading a few times, and it always made me lose about half of it). Still made almost 150k.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Based on my experience above you have hosed whatever planet you sold those drugs on forever and always.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
I wonder if selling guns to the military or marines on the open market increases stability?

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
Question for anyone still running Uomoz/0.6.2: Is there any way to get the Mayorate to like you or are they always going to be dicks?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Whelp. I'm done with this game for a while I guess.

Had just broken my first million, and stashed most of my unnecessary ships and started to (successfully) hunt Paragon fleets with my two-hammerhead/fighter/bomber spam fleet, and my save corrupted.

Tried to save a copy to see if that would fix it, but alas no.

Goodby Captain Tony Abbot, you will always be remembered for the great number of pirates/innocent civilians/Tri-Tach/Church people you ruthlessly massacred in the name of the Hegemony.:australia:

Pecked To Death
Jun 27, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
If you ever feel like playing again but don't want to go through a slow start, you can set devmode=true in \starfarer-core\data\config\settings.json and press "K" and "L" to give yourself 50k Monies/XP, respectively.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I've never touched the mods before. Has anything worth mentioning been updated for the new version?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Moist Missle posted:

If you ever feel like playing again but don't want to go through a slow start, you can set devmode=true in \starfarer-core\data\config\settings.json and press "K" and "L" to give yourself 50k Monies/XP, respectively.

There is also a command line mod that allows you to add skillpoints, etc.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

McGiggins posted:

Had just broken my first million, and stashed most of my unnecessary ships and started to (successfully) hunt Paragon fleets with my two-hammerhead/fighter/bomber spam fleet, and my save corrupted.

Goodby Captain Tony Abbot, you will always be remembered for the great number of pirates/innocent civilians/Tri-Tach/Church people you ruthlessly massacred in the name of the Hegemony.:australia:

The best part of this is that the game autosaves your second to last save as a backup in your saved folder, but since you resaved... :v:

However, if the save is corrupted in the "freezes at loading" sense, then it might still be recoverable if you change the vmparams setting to 2048 ram and force it to use 64 bit java.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I've gotten around the freeze at loading bug by loading up the save and then re-saving it on a different computer. Obviously kinda situational though.

For what it's worth, I've only had saves get hosed up when I try to load from within the game. Exiting and loading seems safer. Will this be touted as an anti-savescumming feature?!?!?

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

McGiggins posted:

Make a bugreport and send that to the dev.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

I've gotten around the freeze at loading bug by loading up the save and then re-saving it on a different computer. Obviously kinda situational though.

For what it's worth, I've only had saves get hosed up when I try to load from within the game. Exiting and loading seems safer. Will this be touted as an anti-savescumming feature?!?!?

Yeah I'm 90% certain it's just the memory thing like Zudgemud mentioned. The fix has been pretty much necessary to playing with mods and I wouldn't be surprised if all the new stuff in the latest update makes it necessary for vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Well, I'm not sure what is actually causing it, as after quitting and suffering existential despair, I loaded it back up and both the save and save copy worked. :iiam:

Might have been a memory issue now that I think about it, as I was rendering scenes in the background, and only had ~200 meg of 32 GB left, though I would have thought that would be more than enough to load up the save data, scrap the current world state and continue.