Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I saw Asymco retweet a blockchain idiocy post and I have to say I was very disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

quote:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/15509/20140915/apple-pay-walmart-and-best-buy-look-other-way.htm

Wal-Mart said it will not support Apple Pay in its point-of-sale systems, preferring instead to provide support for CurrentC, another mobile payment system being developed by a network of retail store chains called Merchant Current Exchange (MCX).

"There will be a dominant player to come out of CurrentC versus ApplePay," says Michael Archer, a partner at retail consultancy Kurt Salmon Associates. "I'm not willing to handicap either one right now... you've got major players in CurrentC; you've got eight of the top banks and credit card issuers in Apple Pay."

Best Buy also said it will not upgrade its point-of-sale systems to new registers that can support near-field communications (NFC), the technology that powers Apple Pay's tap-and-go process. In 2011, Best Buy installed NFC-enabled systems into its stores, but disabled them shortly after due to the high cost of installing and maintaining them, which is largely brought about by the fact that NFC-enabled cards have not yet caught on in the U.S. Each of these systems cost somewhere near $350 and up.

merchants trying to avoid card fees would rather roll their own system than adopt a tiny, unscalable network because some earlier adopters want them to really bad? :aaa:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
i also just looked at the 7 day graph, high of 393 and low of 341, we need new animals to describe what's happening, like sharkephants or dolphinos or something

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

indigi posted:

I'm glad of that every company who accepted bitcoin and held onto them has lost money

yes but that's because of institutional problems leading to bad decisions rather than anything to do with the bitcoins. nobody spends bitcoins, so all their revenue is still in fiat.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

basmati posted:

for twelve years you have been asking: how her sister towel could smell like sperm?

:golfclap:

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

i also just looked at the 7 day graph, high of 393 and low of 341, we need new animals to describe what's happening, like sharkephants or dolphinos or something

coiner1 : "WHY IS THE PRICE DOING THIS!?"
coiner2 : "Elephino"
:v:

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
lol @ the Gyft complaints

quote:

[–]Plesk8 2 points 2 hours ago

I find it likely ApplePay and Google Wallet would offer 0% transaction fees for a limited time - exactly like Coinbase offers 0% fees for your firs $1M USD in transactions)

Since they are companies, you're right they could even PAY them extra!

A few determined companies bent on competition.

Capitalism giveth, and Capitalism taketh away.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
what sort of market has competition?

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Boxturret posted:

what sort of market has competition?

one where capitalism hasn't met its inevitable endgame

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
haha gyft were some loudmouth true believers hodling before

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Same Great Paste posted:

coiner1 : "WHY IS THE PRICE DOING THIS!?"
coiner2 : "Elephino"

ELEPHINO

say it out loud :(

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Same Great Paste posted:

ELEPHINO

i got it, it's ok

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

so, to "shop at walmart with bitcoin", you send bitcoins to bitpay, who then pays gyft for a giftcard, which you can then use at walmart (which they sometimes don't take)

the best case scenario is like a money laundering wet dream of misdirection

well not walmart because they pulled out 2 weeks after they started with gyft

http://www.coindesk.com/gyft-forced-end-walmart-gift-card-support/

StateOwned
Dec 30, 2005

this lane closed
I still dont even get the point of apple pay. So i don't have to get my cc out of my wallet? so I dont have to carry my cc? I need my wallet anyway who cares if i have one more card in it.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

StateOwned posted:

I still dont even get the point of apple pay. So i don't have to get my cc out of my wallet? so I dont have to carry my cc? I need my wallet anyway who cares if i have one more card in it.

in the bitcoin future we won't have wallets

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
still have literally no idea what Apple Pay is, I thought it was just PayPal but with stebe but I guess there's more to it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

indigi posted:

still have literally no idea

:hfive:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
when they introduced apple pay they literally played a video of a person fumbling with an overstuffed wallet and clumsily struggling to find the right card

we were all waiting for it to end with the wallet falling on the floor and the person looking at the camera and saying THERE'S GOTTA BE A BETTER WAY

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Greyhawk posted:

in the bitcoin future we won't have wallets

In the glorious bitcoin future we'll have dozens of wallets, maybe hundreds of wallets!

That way when one of your wallets eventually gets hacked you can fall back on the rest. Truly we'll be able to measure a person's wealth by how many wallets stand between them and a life of poverty in the hobo swamp.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

apple pay owns please educate youreself

i can't wait to pay for my organic groceries on whole foods with my apple watch

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Exinos posted:

In the glorious bitcoin future we'll have dozens of wallets, maybe hundreds of wallets!

no those will all be stolen

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

apple pay owns please educate youreself

i can't wait to pay for my organic groceries on whole foods with my questionmarkinabox watch

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
internally apple pay is a pretty radical departure from existing payment systems and it's worth reading about, it's not like google wallet which is basically just a wrapper around the usual credit card systems

anyone who thinks "currentc" has a chance in hell hasn't actually looked at how it works. it was designed to save the retailers money, not for customer convenience, and it completely shows. absolutely nobody is going to want to use it

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
all you really need to know is that currentc uses qr codes

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Heresiarch posted:

internally apple pay is a pretty radical departure from existing payment systems and it's worth reading about, it's not like google wallet which is basically just a wrapper around the usual credit card systems

anyone who thinks "currentc" has a chance in hell hasn't actually looked at how it works. it was designed to save the retailers money, not for customer convenience, and it completely shows. absolutely nobody is going to want to use it

but but but i can get coupons for using it

coupons

valuable coupons

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Heresiarch posted:

Well then it can easily be adapted to Bitcoin, right?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Bitcoin dot jpg found.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Heresiarch posted:

looking forward to heart rate-based discounts

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Heresiarch posted:

so you're saying when currentc fails and there's all these QR-enabled POS terminals lying dormant, stores will have no choice but to accept bitcoin?

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

TVarmy posted:

so you're saying when currentc fails and there's all these QR-enabled POS terminals lying dormant, stores will have no choice but to accept bitcoin?

they'll probably try a couple other things first, like paper checks or a barter system

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

TVarmy posted:

literally this, except not this at all

bestbrents
Dec 2, 2002

Pillbug

quote:

I'm posting this on a quite apt novelty account instead of my main one.

I wracked up $35k in credit card debt from November to February. 0% for a year, 18 months, etc on balance transfer checks, written to my own bank account. I used this to buy Bitcoin. T_T

Got too swept up in things, put way too much in it. The original plan was to just borrow some money, let Bitcoin price go up, and then pay it back by selling some of the coins.

Well, that hasn't happened. My average buy price was $750. Currently it's hovering around $350.

So, one side of me says sell right now, but looking at historical trends and past downturns, I wouldn't be surprised if it goes back up again. Still, I've given up on the original plan of holding for a year and selling paying the debt off with the gains. Currently I'm just directing a lot of my earned income directly at the credit cards, paying it off at about $1200/week. I've made some good progress, paying the debt off from $35k to $25k since August or so.

Currently my plan is to just pay it off and not worry about it. If it goes to zero, it goes to zero. At current prices, the Bitcoins I own are worth about $15k. Selling them wouldn't make a huge difference in my overall net worth, and I'm content to hold them now just as a speculative investment/gamble.

But yeah, my biggest personal lesson with this is to not invest with borrowed money. For me at least, if I actually had to earn the money through my own labor, I'm much less reckless with it. If I had been buying Bitcoin with my earned income, I probably would have been content to put just a few thousand into it, instead of such a huge amount of money. :/

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Same Great Paste posted:

ELEPHINO

elephino needs to be a novelty account that replies to people asking about the price with crazy charts and nonsense analysis

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Heresiarch posted:

The Starbucks app uses QR codes and it's not really a problem :shrug:

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Dren posted:

crazy charts and nonsense analysis

the elephino strikes again

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?

shut up and take my paper wallets

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Venzen Khaosan

open source developer
and researcher/explorer.
keen interest in
cryptocurrency and the
collapse of fractional
reserve banking.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Dren posted:

The Starbucks app uses QR codes and it's not really a problem :shrug:

the Starbucks app is not linked to your social security number, bank account, or heart rate

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

In an alternate universe, there's a rabid CueCat fanbase, hassling businessowners and circlejerking around in /r/CueCat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

bisticles posted:

In an alternate universe, there's a rabid CueCat fanbase, hassling businessowners and circlejerking around in /r/CueCat

i hate living in the wrong universe :mad:

• Locked thread