Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Let's Play Fire Emblem 12: Heroes Of Light and Shadow!

What the gently caress?
Fire Emblem 12, Heroes Of Light and Shadow, is the Sequel to FE11: Shadow Dragon, and a remake of Book 2 of FE3: Mystery Of The Emblem, released for the Nintendo DS.

No, really, what the gently caress.
Okay, this game has kind of a weird history. All Fire Emblem games past 7, Blazing Sword, were released in America, except for this one. Nobody's positive as to why, but the general guess is that fans reacted badly to the prequel, Shadow Dragon, and Nintendo didn't want to risk translating a niche game in a niche series (This was before Awakening brought the series mainstream status in the US.) Shadow Dragon was a remake of the original game in the series, so this is a remake of FE3, the direct sequel. The original FE3 contained a remake of FE1 as well, titled Book 1, so this is a remake of Book 2, if you want to get technical.

Do I need to be aware of the plot of the previous games to enjoy this one?
Not at all. FE1/Shadow Dragon had a really bare bones plot, and it gets recapped very early in this one. So we'll see that when it happens. The other FE games have no relation to this one, except 2, in a very minor, sort of spoilery way. So I won't get into that.

What is the gameplay like?
Fire Emblem games are pretty much the same. You move your units around on a grid, fight enemies, and recruit more playable characters. Setting this apart from similar games are things like every character having a unique name, stats, and story, as well as the very scary permadeath feature, which means that if a unit falls in battle, they are gone forever.

What does this add to the original game?
The remake adds more characters, including those that appeared in Book 1 but not Book 2, as well as the playable characters from the BS Fire Emblems (More on that later), and a few original characters. It includes 4 new bonus maps, along with the BS Fire Emblem maps, which were released over the Satellaview in Japan. More classes, more conversations and dialogue, more weapons, the reclass feature from Shadow Dragon, a "casual mode" where the permadeath is disabled, and a new prologue and set of sidequests based around "My Unit", a customizable character, make this a really good remake, and a game that completely blows its predecessor out of the water.

Wait, what's a BS Fire Emblem?
Awakening was pretty BS. :vince:

Nah, kidding. (I liked Awakening). They were 4 special maps released over the Satellaview in Japan, like I said above, meant to take place before the prequel to this game. I'll try and show them off. They're a little special, in that they're scored, and originally had full voice acting! (They don't in this version.)

What viewer interaction will we have?
Well, I'm going to try and ask the thread questions about which characters I should use in some cases. Saves/Arena Abuse make pretty much everyone viable on most difficulties. (Some people I really want to use, for recruitment purposes, etc., so I might have to pull rank occasionally), as well as give you guys control over the way My Unit looks, his/her appearance and stats, class, etc. We are wearing Wendell's hat though.

What kind of run is this?
I'll be playing on Hard Classic mode. I'll recruit everyone, but it's mostly just a casual playthrough of a game I really like. As "fun" as Lunatic might be, I'd rather 75% of the characters not be totally useless and you all have to watch Arran and Palla solo the first 7 or so chapters. Also I'm bad.

Note: I don't have Male Class Set Mixing unlocked, so no Archers -> Hunters or anything like that.

Update schedule?
I'm pretty busy lately, so updates might be sparse. I'll try and reply to your questions in the thread whenever possible.

Hey, this thread looks familiar!
Technical issues (read: My own incompetence) caused the screenshots in the old thread to kinda suck. Thanks to the bevy of people in the thread and Sandcastle, they're better now.

You keep referencing FE7/You are bad at this, show me someone who doesn't fumble everything in an FE game.

Melth's ongoing and really impressive run of FE7's Hector Hard Mode is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701153&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

ChaosArgate has a run of FE7 on the archives as well, and that one is finished all the may.

Fan Art

vilkacis shows us Luke's alternative strategy for his epic showdown with Steve.

And Luke's discovery of Steve's secret literary material:

As well as Navarrles Barlkley's vow to never turn his ball on a woman.

(Musical Accompaniment suggested by EclecticTastes:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhrpbwW4apQ)

And let us not forget the bald baller, Wryyyyyyyyyyys

SystemLogoff presents the first of many images dedicated to the smug power of Blinking Marth.

Megane...uh...:aaa:

Wonderslug displays Wendell's true form.

W.T. Fits is already a demon.

Otherbuttons/Rainbowjammed drew everyone's favorite blinded knight/mage/swordlady/whatever.

Table Of Contents:

Note: Any main game chapters past Prologue 5 are separated into Prep and Battle. Prep goes over the intros and conversations before each map, as well as my initial preparations for picking units, weapons, etc. If you just want to see the main gameplay, feel free to skip to Battle. Updates with no Prep are all battle.

Part 0: My Unit
Part 1: Jagen Rides Again
Part 2: Team Fortress 4
Part 3: Bachelorette Party
Part 4: Bald is Beautiful
Part 5: The First Bandit Chapter
Part 6: Prep: Schrodinger's Frey
Battle: Schrodinger's Frey
Part 7: Prep: Graduation Day
Battle: Graduation Day
Part 8: Prep: The Art Of Foreshadowing
Battle: The Art Of Foreshadowing
Part 9: Prologue Wrap-up
Part 10: Bonus Chapter: Fall Of The Palace
Part 11: Prep: Begin Again

Between these two parts, I lost my saves. New stat totals can be found in Update ???

Battle: Begin Again
Part 12: Prep: The Man Who Would Be Dord
Battle: The Man Who Would Be Dord
Part 13: Prep: Old And Senile
Battle: Old And Senile
Part 14: Prep: The Bald And The Beautiful: Wrysvengeance
Battle: The Bald And The Beautiful: Wrysvengeance
Part 15: Prep:
World's Best Disguised Paladin
Battle:
World's Best Disguised Paladin
Part 16: Prep: Samurai Steve
Battle: Samurai Steve
Part 17: Prep: Any Number Of Puns Involving The Word Lang
Battle: Any Number Of Puns Involving The Word Lang
Part 18: Prep: The Hat
The Hat
Part 19: Prep: Will The Real Slim Swordsman Please Stand Up?
Battle: Will The Real Slim Swordsman Please Stand Up?
Part 20: Prep: Tur-bad
Battle: Tur-bad
Part 21: Prep:
gently caress Sand
Battle: gently caress Sand
Part 22: Prep: Failure to Communicate
Battle: Failure to Communicate
Part 23: Bonus Chapter: Thieves
Part 24: Prep: Rampaging Randomized Roros Rumpus
Battle: Rampaging Randomized Roros Rumpus
Part 25: Prep: Desert Of Death
Battle: Desert Of Death
Part 26: Prep: Lava Pirates
Battle: Lava Pirates
Part 27: Prep: Stop, Collaborate and Listen
Battle: Stop, Collaborate and Listen
Part 28: Prep: Snowstorm Sniper
Battle: Snowstorm Sniper
Part 29: Prep: Seize The Starsphere
Battle: Seize The Starsphere
Part 30: Prep: Homecoming King
Battle: Homecoming King
Part 31: Prep: Homebound On The As-Tram
Battle:Homebound On The As-Tram
Part 32: Prep: Katarina
Battle: Katarina
Part 33: Prep: En Gra-de!
Battle: En Gra-de!
Part 34: Bonus Chapter: Dragoon
Part 35: Prep: Garbage Like The Wolf
Battle: Garbage Like The Wolf
Part 36: Prep: Definitely The Final Map Of The Game
Battle: Definitely The Final Map Of The Game (Part 1)
Part 2
Part 37: Prep: Going Hardin The Paint
Battle: Going Hardin The Paint (Part 1)
(Part 2)
Part 38: Prep: Lady Eremiah
Battle: Lady Eremiah
Part 39: Prep:
Return Of The Wyverns
Battle: Return Of The Wyverns
Part 40: Prep:
The Game Is Starting To Drag-On
Battle: The Game Is Starting To Drag-On
Part 41: Prep: No Puns For "Gharnef"
Battle: No Puns For "Gharnef"
Part 42: Bonus Chapter: Beginning
Finale: Prep: Shadow Dragon
Battle: Shadow Dragon
Ending: Hero Of Shadow
Epilogues And Loose Ends

Bonus Supports

Samto 1, Norne 1+2, Luke/Rody 1

Caesar 1, Arran 2, Luke/Rody 2

Cecille 1, Rickard/Julian 1, Luke/Rody 3

Gordin 1, Cecille 2, Arran 3

Samto 2, Bantu 1, Rickard/Julian 2

Roger 1, Maris 1, Samto 3

Belf 1, Leiden 1, Robert 1

Bantu 2, Tiki 1, Xane 1

Dolph 1, Macellan 1, Katarina 1

Matthis 2, Abel 1, Etzel 1

Part ???: Begin Again

Mini Update: Weapons:
Weapons

WARNING: UPCOMING CAST LIST CONTAINS SPOILERS UP TO THE CURRENT POINT WE ARE IN THE GAME!

The Cast

Steve

Starting Class: Mage ( :( )
Indescribable and unstoppable, Steve is the protagonist of the adventure. Her lack of senses is made up for by her ability to be one of the only characters who talks in cutscenes. Has a problem with putting things on her face. Talks about her grandpa endlessly.

Ryan

Starting Class: Archer
Timid child with a bowl cut. One of the early pillars of the team. Younger brother of Gordin.

Luke

Starting Class: Cavalier
A huge dumbass idiot who rides a horse. Despite these faults, his redeeming qualities are his Strength, HP, and Support Conversations full of dumb sex puns.

Rody

Luke’s more level-headed partner. Has very little to say, but he’s got a high Skill growth and a lot of room to grow...if you use him.

Caeda

Starting Class: Pegasus Knight
Marth’s fiancee and princess of Talys. Built like a tissue paper, but hits like a truck against mounted units and knights with her exclusive weapon, the Wing Spear. Cannot teach Steve to cook.

WRYS

Starting Class: Curate
The best character.

Athena

Starting Class: Myrmidon
Uses a sword and has a speech impediment where she cannot recognize the letter “W”. Also refers to herself in the plural. May have once just thrown a boat in the ocean, hopped in, and ended up with our guys.

Merric

Starting Class: Mage
The wind mage, Merric is Marth’s childhood friend. Has his own signature tome, Excalibur, which killed like a billion loving wyverns.

Cecile

Cecile is the last of our initial cavalier trio, and she’s not quite as good at it at the others. She makes up for it by offering Steve her first hat and having some pretty good dialogue about being really angry about various things.

Draug

Starting Class: Knight
Draug’s name is Guard backwards. He has good defense. His name is Guard backwards.

Cain

One of the original members of the Cavalier Duo, Cain is one of Altea’s senior knights. Has a knack for surviving situations nobody else does.

Marth

Starting Class: Lord
Marth is the real protagonist, if you want to be technical. He trusts everyone far too much and is terribly shell-shocked by the thought of losing his allies, but is courageous and a skilled leader. Might secretly be terribly smug.

Jagen

Starting Class: what
Jagen is our helpful spout of elderly wisdom and knowledge. He is unplayable (literally and not just figuratively this time around), but he is always with us before every map, dispensing mostly worthless advice and recapping whatever we just did.

Gordin

Gordin does little that his younger brother, Ryan, does not. His best asset is a one-off joke from the previous game. At least he’s good at killing fliers.

Arran

Starting Class: Paladin
Arran is an overleveled, understatted, horrible-growth-having Paladin, a character archetype that should be familiar to anyone who’s ever touched a Fire Emblem game. Unlike most of them, though, Arran has a reason, he’s dying of Fantasy Disease #134. He has a few dark secrets and is thoroughly :smith:

Malicia

Starting Class: Cleric
Malicia is an excitable young woman with a massive, creepy, fanfictiony crush on Marth. She’s a great healer and a fantastic mage once she gets going.

Catria

There are no Gods in Archanea. This is only because the sky belongs to Catria, and she has brushed them aside in her pursuit of being totally goddamn broken.

Warren

Starting Class: Hunter
Warren is a solemn and solitary soul. He lives in the woods and kills animals with his bow. It translates okay to killing people as well, but he’s pretty forgettable.

Cord

Starting Class: Fighter
Cord is a mercenary/woodcutter from Talys. He’s our first axe wielder and...doesn’t make a strong case for them.

Linde

Daughter of Miloah, one of the world’s greatest mages, Linde isn’t too shabby herself, having command of a signature weapon, Aura. Sadly she was passed up in favor of a certain other...mage.

Bord

Bord is a mercenary/woodcutter from Talys. He’s our second axe wielder and...doesn’t make a strong case for them. Yes this is copy/pasted, so is Bord.

Palla

Catria’s older sister Palla is also amazing. She starts off a bit stronger, but doesn’t have quite as much room to grow as Catria. Still a great character.

Matthis

Matthis is a big idiot and I hate him.

Julian

Starting Class: Thief
Julian is the game’s best thief. There are only 2 thieves. He is a formerly rather carefree guy who’s been forced to take things rather seriously now that his girlfriend has been abducted by cultists. One day he might hold an armorslayer.

Yumina

Starting Class: Cleric
Princess of Grust Yumina is headstrong and brave, especially for someone who looks about...7 years old. Not as good as Malicia, but makes for a solid backup healer.

Yubello

Prince of Grust Yubello is a mage who will literally die on the first turn of the map he is in if you do not move him IMMEDIATELY. Timid and emotional, he’s...not really cut out for this.

Ogma

Starting Class: Mercenary
A former gladiator and legendary mercenary, Ogma lives up to his reputation by being a very well rounded character who’s useful at all stages of the game.

Sirius

A pretty decent Paladin who can either turn out great or fall far behind depending on how you and the RNG treat him, Sirius is a mysterious mystery man with a mysterious mask. He’s definitely not that other guy, shhh.

Castor

Starting Class: Hunter
Castor is a thoroughly average unit who needs money for his sick mother. Sickness, mother, and accent are of...dubious truth.

Barst

The ex-pirate Barst is a powerhouse of devastating axe slams and crits. Just hope he manages to hit. Close runner-up to Catria for MVP of this run.

Rickard

Starting Class: Thief
Rickard is a hyperactive dork of a man who has a worrying obsession with his mentor, Julian. Somehow he is welcome in every shop in Archanea, including the ones most people don’t know about. We could have recruited him earlier but i make bad decisions.

Frey

Frey managed to survive his canonical death in the last game to come back and be pretty average in this one. Well done, Frey.

Norne

Norne has a southern accent and lives in the country part of Altea. That’s all there is to say about Norne.

Samto

Samto is a former gladiator running a long con to impersonate the Scarlet Swordsman, Na-something. His ruse was good enough to fool everyone, including the player. Has not been seen since his last conversation with Steve in the bonus updates.

Wendell

Starting Class: Bishop
Wendell is the Pontifex of Khadein, which basically means “wizard pope”. We desire his sweet hat. He is the teacher of Merric and Elrean.

Caesar

Starting Class: Mercenary
Caesar is overshadowed by Ogma in nearly all aspects, including backstory. He’s a slightly less legendary mercenary who joined our team after we wiped out his previous employers.

Radd

Radd is defined mostly by existing alongside Caesar, who is also pretty forgettable, which...says a lot about this guy. Reports say that he’s “Feeling pretty spiffy” at almost all times.

Navarre

Nabarl is the Scarlet Swordsman, a ruthless ex-bandit with little in the way of scruples or emotion. Navarre has fantastic speed and critical rates, but can’t take much of a hit. Navabrel communicates nearly entirely in ellipsis.

Feena

Starting Class: Dancer
Feena is the only member of the dancer class in the game. She is a unique support unit in battle who allows for some pretty funny exploits. She is flirtatious and promiscuous, which translates to “Has some pretty shameless support dialogue”.

Bantu

Starting Class: Manakete
Bantu is one of the few remaining Manaketes, a race of dragons who have assumed human form. He’s a pretty friendly grandpa kind of guy, and it’s a shame his stats are so utterly abysmal.

Roger

Starting Class: Knight
Roger is the dorkiest possible knight, clamoring around the continent in search of a girlfriend while wearing some clunky armor. Chances look grim, but at least he has above-average Speed for running away from awkward rejections.

Jeorge

Starting Class: Sniper
Jeorge is Archanea’s finest sniper (this is a lie, there are generic units with better stats), but he does possess Parthia, the best bow in the game. He initially sided with Hardin, but defected to our side very quickly after realizing that the Emperor was a batshit madman.

Etzel

Starting Class: Sorcerer
Etzel is the only recruitable natural Dark Mage/Sorcerer in the game, and he defies that class archetype by being a pretty nice guy. He’s a pacifist due to his wife’s death in battle, but he’ll fight with us anyway. His magic resistance is great, but his speed tends to leave him lagging behind in fights.

Minerva

Starting Class: Dracoknight
A flying unit with an affinity for axes, Princess Minerva is a pretty plot important character (by FE12 standards). She won’t outdo Catria or Palla, but she has pretty solid stats, especially for a prepromoted unit, and her ability to use Hauteclere, the A-Rank axe, serves her well.

Elrean

Elrean is Merric’s rival, and his entire existence is dedicated to being a smug rear end in a top hat and outdoing the Wind mage. Given his worse general stats, availability, and lack of a signature weapon like Excalibur, he only manages the former.

Horace

Starting Class: General
The Archanean general Horace was never even fooled by Hardin’s shenanigans, probably because he didn’t even exist until the remake. He makes up for this solid judge of character ability by being mediocre and fairly forgettable.

Dice

Dice is a gambling Viking Dad. That’s cool enough that I’m going to overlook him being pretty lame as far as fighters go.

Maris

Maris is a rough and tumble mercenary with the world’s worst business sense, in which she consistently lowballs herself. I might accidentally call her “Malice” sometimes, because that’s her original name and I get confused.

Jake

Starting Class: Warrior
Jake is a unit with the potential to be really good with his growths, but his base stats are so low, he’s drat hard to get to use them. His girlfriend runs a chain of stupidly arbitrarily hidden shops, and may be an interdimensional goddess.

Darros

Starting Class: Berserker
Darros is incredibly bad at hitting things. I can extrapolate this through two methods, one being that his skill is hot garbage, two being that somehow he managed to miss the ocean on his boat and sail directly into a volcano. Talks like a pirate.

Robert

Starting Class: Horseman
One of the three Sable Knights added for the remake, Robert is more notable than the others because he’s promoted, but still not at all relevant.

Leiden

Sable Knight Number 2. Not much to say, he’s alright, probably the best of the three, but thoroughly mediocre.

Belf

Third Sable Knight. Got enough Sable Knights? Got enough Cavaliers? Too loving bad!

Beck

Beck got his class changed between games, and now he’s just sort of an average unit. Not much to say about this guy, but at least he’s not a Sable Knight.

Xane

Starting Class: Chameleon
The trickster Xane is a unique unit who has the ability to become an exact copy of an allied unit for 5 turns. He enjoys being a snarky bastard and dropping casual plot bombs. Also he’s a nigh-immortal dragon.

Tiki

Tiki is a far better Manakete than Bantu. The sole remaining divine dragon (kinda sorta?), Tiki is one of the most potentially powerful people in Archanea, and if she lost her mind, could destroy the whole continent. Or not, because she has like, 18 HP.

Dolph

Dolph is a green general. He’s okay. He has a body image issue.

Est

Est is the younger sister of Catria and Palla, and she matches up to them in stats! If she gets there. She starts horrifically weak, and for extreme effort and likely spending a ton of gold, you can have someone almost as good as the characters you got in the literal second and third chapters!

Abel

Cain’s old partner, and Est’s new boyfriend, Abel has been forced to take up arms against us to save his girlfriend from a grisly, lance based death. Probably the most gutted unit going between games, Abel is a shadow of his Shadow Dragon self, and is pretty terrible.

Macellan

Macellan is a red general. He’s okay. He has anger problems.

Astram

Starting Class: Hero
Astram is a legendary hero of Archanea, and he’s stubbornly devoted to his country. He chases us like, three times before he’s finally recruitable, at which point he’s a pretty terrible unit. At least he’s got Mercurius, the A Rank Sword.

Katarina

Starting Class: Sage
Tactician, Traitor, Assassin, Katarina has a lot of titles. She’s been brainwashed from childhood to want to murder Marth, and Steve had to aggressively give her mid-battle therapy to get her to join up again. It’s...not exactly worth the effort, as she’s pretty terrible. Still, you get good feeling points for doing it.

Tomas

Bland bad bowman.

Samson

Starting Class: Hero
In case Astram hadn’t tanked your expectations in Heros and made Ogma/Caesar look far more appealing already, Samson the bodyguard is here to show you what true terrible stats look like.

Sheema

Princess of the doomed country of Gra, Sheema is determined to prove to her country that they are still relevant, even if it means suicide by main character. If you do bother to recruit her, you’ll get a slow, weak general, but one with growth rates that can make her fairly solid if given special attention.

Frost

The Macedonian Bishop Frost is a Macedonian Bishop named Frost, which is the extent of his character. I guess he can be sorta useful if you need someone to man a Rescue staff.

Roshea

Roshea is the only one of the Wolfguard to join us voluntarily, making him my favorite strictly by being the least annoying to recruit. He’s still garbage.

Vyland

Now recruitable in the remake, Vyland is a tricky fella to recruit, requiring you to try very hard not to get him to kill himself by ramming his useless body into your units or getting killed by his own drat generic reinforcements. But don’t worry, recruiting him gets you access to the rest of the Wolfguard! I have played this game and the prequel several times and I still have no idea what his personality is.

Sedgar

In the prequel, Sedgar was a potential monster with reclassing and abnormally high growth rates. In this game he’s basically just a minor obstacle as an enemy and a disappointment as a playable unit. He’s level headed or something like that.

Wolf

Wolf is fanatically devoted to Emperor Hardin, and is willing to die for his master. That is, unless Sedgar convinces him that Hardin is no longer Hardin, and instead a crazy tyrant. That’ll convince him to join Marth’s side and be a benchwarmer, because much like Sedgar, the 2 year gap in games absolutely ruined Wolf.

Midia

Midia was brave enough to stand up to Hardin, and would have died for it had Marth not arrived in time. She's Astram's girlfriend and yet another subpar Paladin.

Ymir

Starting Class: Warrior
He's not actually a barbarian, despite his intimidating looks. Ymir is a gentle giant, except for the whole "giant axe" thing.

Michalis

Starting Class: Dracoknight
Known tyrant and rear end in a top hat Michalis, prince (former king) of Macedon, refuses to make it out of this remake without being dead or playable. He's pretty good.

Nagi

Nagi is a mysterious divine dragon who seems to have some odd abilities, even for a manakete. She might be a goddess or something.

Nyna

The Queen of Archanea Nyna is wise and capable, but decided to marry Hardin on Boah's advice. It wasn't a good idea. She was in love with Camus, who is totally very dead.

Lena

A Macedonian priestess, Lena fell in love with Julian after he abandoned his bandit allies to rescue her in Shadow Dragon. She's kind to a fault and apparently of some kind of noble blood.

Maria

Maria is the youngest member of the Macedonian Royal Family. She has no gift for battle like her siblings, but she's a good healer, apparently.

Elice

Elice is Marth's older sister, and one of the few people to know the man behind the hero stories. She's constantly worried that the pressure will break him down. Tends to get kidnapped by evil wizards.

Villains

Lang

Hardin’s general underling and Marth’s original boss in Grust, Marth rebelled against him after he casually mentioned committing war crimes like 10 times. Is the source of Jagen’s best moment.

Hardin

Our former Cavalier ally from Shadow Dragon, Hardin married Princess Nyna and became Emperor of Archanea. Something ~mysterious~ happened and he became possessed by an evil artifact. Now he’s an evil tyrant without a sweet turban.

Roro

A mysterious berserker, Roro is a member of the Assassin cult. His gimmick is that there are several of him, and they will not stop coming until Roro Prime is dead. Tends to laugh like a monkey.

Kleine

Sadistic and vindictive, Kleine is another Assassin leader. She’s a sniper who tries to fight under cover of darkness. It doesn’t go super well for her.

Eremiah

On the surface, Eremiah looks like a kindly nun. She’s actually the leader of a horrific assassin cult made up of brainwashed war orphans, all of whom she considers disposable. Probably one of the most unnerving Fire Emblem villains.

Gharnef

The Dark Pontifex, Gharnef, once ruled Khadein, and was the pupil of the world's greatest mage. He is cruel, corrupt, quite possibly immortal, and a little thing like "death" in the last game isn't going to stop him from his usual shenanigans. No more clones, though.

Medeus

Medeus was the emperor of Dolhr, an empire that conquered the world before he was killed by Marth. Before that, he was killed by Anri, Marth's great great something or other. Before that, he was a prince of the Earth Dragons, who learned to hate mankind after they exploited his people. He's little more than a corpse now, but it's hard to keep a good dragon down...

Spoilers Over, carry on.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Part 0: My Unit

Here's our glorious title screen. I managed to hit the capture button just as the flash went across the title. It says "Fire Emblem", just trust me on this one.

We will, to nobody's surprise, be picking "New Game".

The difficulties in FE12 are pretty simple. Normal is a good way for newbies to the series to get introduced, Hard is a solid challenge for fans, Maniac is a difficult challenge for anyone but the most devoted FE fans, and Lunatic is mostly about masochism and tears. Also there's some Fire Emblem in it.

This installation of the series introduced Casual mode, which removes the dreaded "Permadeath". Honestly, this game buries you in units, so you won't really need it. (And I have save spamming A BRILLIANT TACTICAL MIND)

Oh hey, it's Anna!

:eng101: Anna is a recurring character in the series, usually filling the role of a tutorial guide.

For the first time in FE history, we can make our own unit! The default name is Chris.

Due to votes in the last thread, and because I owe vilkacis for helping me with tech stuff, we're going with his suggestion, Steve.

This is mostly a cosmetic choice, but there are a couple differences in class choices.

Speaking of classes...

Myrmidons use swords, and are insanely speedy, with a high chance to get critical hits. They are restricted to one weapon type, though, and have to rely on dodge due to their lovely defense stats. While there are male Myrmidons, only female My Units can choose this class.

Peg(asus) Knights are female only, and use lances, with axes gained on promotion. They're quick and have a high hit rate, with a huge movement range and the ability to fly over rivers and mountains. However, they suffer from awful defense, and take automatic triple damage from bows. Be careful with these guys.

Cavaliers have high movement and average...everything else. They can use swords and lances. (Interesting note, Male Cavalier My Units start with a lance, Females start with a sword.)

Archers can only strike from two squares away. They use bows only, and have high critical hit rates and accuracy, but cannot counterattack melee units, which is a pretty big problem.

Mages use magic tomes and staves on promotion. They get access to powerful magic attacks, due to enemies resistance stats generally being lower than defense (with a few exceptions). We'll be using a mage MU.

But what about the male only avatar classes?

Mercenaries are Myrimdons with less speed and crit and more bulk. They also get axes on promotion.

The slow and unwieldy knights look a little silly, but against non magic attackers, they are a nearly impenetrable wall of sheer defense power. Their strength isn't too shabby either. They use lances, with bows on promotion.

Fighters are Axe wielders that tend to whiff a lot of attacks, but if they connect, pack a hell of a punch. Getting bows on promotion helps, since they have a naturally high crit rate. Only male characters can ever become fighters.

You can customize the appearance of your MU here. Once again, going with vilkacis' suggestion of a probably blind lady.

This background stuff effects stats. This is a little complicated, so I'll link a guide to it.

http://serenesforest.net/light-and-shadow/characters/my-unit-creation/

I should explain what the stats do as well:
Strength determines the damage you do with non-magical attacks.
Magic is Strength, but for magical attacks.
Skill determines your chance to hit, as well as crit.
Speed determines your chance to "double", striking twice in one round of combat. It also prevents you from being doubled.
Luck factors into dodging and critting, as well as one weird obtuse mechanic that factors into one map we'll see later.
Defense subtracts damage you take from non-magical attacks.
Resistance is defense, but for magical attacks.
Movement is how many squares you can move per turn.

"Growth Rates" refers to how likely you are to gain that stat upon level up. They're different for every character.

Anyway, here's what I chose for Steve.

Don't be fooled by my slow screenshot finger, I went with Orphan for the extra Magic.

Luck and Resistance can be hard to come by, so I went for them here.

I'm not sure why the latter few "Future" choices didn't show up here. But I went for Honorable to round out our character a bit with Skill and Speed. We really only didn't get Defense/HP on this one, which I would consider the least important stats on a mage (except Strength).

Next time, Steve will embark on her journey in:

Part 1, Jagen Rides Again

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to change settings to convert to PNGs in this update. I'll fix it for the next one.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 8, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The latter options don't show up because the game doesn't let you pick the options that affect the same stat again. So if you pick Orphan for +str/mag, you can't pick Recluse, which adds to those same growths.

Dig the title, by the way.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Lotish posted:

The latter options don't show up because the game doesn't let you pick the options that affect the same stat again. So if you pick Orphan for +str/mag, you can't pick Recluse, which adds to those same growths.

Dig the title, by the way.

Oh, I see. I was wondering if it was something to do with gender or class or some such nonsense, but that makes sense.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:neckbeard:

Steve is the silliest looking avatar, but since she's going to be mostly forgotten by history anyway, we might as well give them an excuse not to remember her face.

BTW I still think you should switch to pngs. If not, at least stop compressing the jpgs so hard. This isn't pretty.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Part 1: Jagen Rides Again

So here we have the rousing start of our adventure, a "meeting". That's vague enough for any proper prologue.

And here we have Steve making her glorious debut. She's the sprite at the very bottom there. She walks up the steps until...

WHAM

See, that's what happens when you constantly wear a facemask and ridiculous bangs. You get into head on collisions with an anime.

Although, to be fair, it didn't look like her eyes were even open, so I'm blaming this on both of them.

: I-I'm sorry. I was in a hurry, and... Excuse me, did you come here to become an Altean knight as well?

:eng101: Altea is the home country of Marth, hero of the first game and the only match for Fox in Smash Bros. Melee.

: Yep. I came here all the way from Sera village when I heard they were recruiting new knights. The name's Steve.

:toot:

: But there sure are a lot of hopefuls here. Look, there's one over there and another there...

Katarina demonstrates her ability to count to two.

Bahaha, I didn't mean to capture Luke here mid-blink, but I think it worked out for the best.

: The first chapter of my epic saga to become Altea's greatest knight!

Luke's more sensible haired life partner here has no time for his shenanigans. FE fans can probably already guess what roles these two will play.

*laugh track*

Jagen? That guy's still alive? I mean, he's got to be like 90 by now.

The group goes outside, and we meet:

It's Jagen! Jagen is the first in a long, proud line of characters in the series. In the prequel, he is a prepromoted unit who is extremely powerful when you get him early in the game, but his terrible stat growths cause him to sputter and lose steam very quickly. If you were only using Jagen because he was so powerful, hope you like restarting! (More commonly, characters of this archetype are called "Jeigans", after his Japanese name). We will be getting a Jagen. It will not be Jagen.

: Knights will be chosen by their ability, not by their blood. The path is not easy, though.

I included the bottom screen here to show that Jagen is speaking to...9 people. Not including himself. Senility is setting in.

: T-this is nervewracking.

It's really not. That's Jagen.

: I'm nervous too, but I've been training hard for this day.

She's lying, she's level 1. :ssh:

: So we expect every one of you to show us the fruits of your arduous training! Apprentices, I want you to gather in pairs! You will be facing real Altean knights in mock combat!

: Huh? We have to fight? T-this could be a problem... Steve, would you please partner with me? I'm training to become a strategist.

Katarina immediately wusses out of a pitched battle with some generic soldiers. Clearly she will be a powerful ally.

: A strategist?

Steve has never seen a strategist. She's probably never seen anything.

: Y-yes. I can give you advice on how to fight, but I can't fight at all...

Once again, Jagen. His arthritis is gonna start acting up anytime now.

Fine, generic soldier man. I only screenshotted you because I didn't feel like making your portrait, rear end in a top hat. (Or stealing it from FEWiki. Thanks, FEWiki!)

: Got it! Let's go, Katarina! The test is about to start.

: Y-yes! Let's do our best.

Finally, gameplay! This screen might take some explaining.

:eng101: At the top, you can see Steve's stats on the far left. The weapon icons represent her skill in using those types of weapons, right now only up to D rank Tomes. On the right is her inventory, with the number of uses left on those items. That Fire book is our standard attack right now, and the Vulnerary will restore 10 HP, at the cost of a turn. The bottom right shows us bonuses from the terrain we're standing on (jackshit right now), and at the top is miscellania like our level, current experience points (100 per level), current HP, movement range, and stats that will come into play in combat.

Atk is how much damage we'll do before subtracting defenses, Hit is our hit percentage before subtracting Avoidance, Rng is the range in squares of our current weapon, Crit is our chance to critically hit before subtracting enemy luck, and Avo is our dodge rate, subtracted from the enemy hit rate.

Got it? Good. That's one infodump out of the way.

Selecting Steve shows us her movement range (in blue) and attack range (in red). This map has two enemies, Jagen up in the top left, and that generic soldier in the middle. Let's take care of him first.

This shows up when we choose to attack. We'd normally choose our weapon here, but we only have one. You can see more detailed stats here that match up to the units fighting. Mt is how much damage we do, Hit is hit rate, and Crit is our chance to critically hit for triple damage. Steve's stats are in blue, the enemy's would be in red.

However, he's got a 1 range weapon, where we have a 2 in our tome, so he can't counterattack at all. Easy pickings.

I know Jagen said this was mock combat, but that fire looks pretty real to me.

As does that :gonk:. poo poo!

That was the enemy's turn. All enemies move after allies in this series, no interspersed turns like Final Fantasy Tactics.

Jagen did nothing on his turn. He was probably nursing his aching back.

Steve's counterattack finished the soldier, leaving the field looking like this. We're down 10 HP from that stab...I wonder if there's a way to fix that.

Hey Jagen. I'm just gonna pick Item here and...

Take a swig of our delicious vulnerary! It has 3 uses, as you can see on the top or bottom screen.

Full Health again! But it's Jagen's turn. Hopefully he doesn't move, or have a

gently caress! A Javelin. That's a 1-2 ranged weapon, and it hits Steve for over half her health. She counterattacks to remove 9 of Jagen's 23 HP, but...

I was worried it would come to this. Poor Steve just doesn't have the defense to take two shots from Jagen, so I have to spend my second turn chugging a vulnerary, doing 9 more damage on the counterattack.

However, on the third turn, Jagen has only 5 HP left, meaning I can kill him before he can counter.

Burn, you old bastard.

:smuggo:

That's the end of Jagen, but...

:monocle:

A decent level. Those are all stats I like. Eagle eyed readers might have noticed Steve getting XP for defeating the generic soldier and fighting Jagen, reaching a total of 70. Finishing him off got us 100, leveling her up to 2 and giving us a hefty 70 point headstart on her next level.

:eng101: Level ups in Fire Emblem are based on Growth Rates. These are the percent based chances you'll gain a stat. This means that luck is a factor, resulting in different stats everytime you play the game. You can get no stats on a level up. It is soul crushing.

Jagen. If that had been Frederick you'd be a blind smear on the ground. Then he'd have to sweep you up.

: Yes... that was most splendid! I see we can expect much from this year's apprentices.

: You did it! We won, Steve! ...But I didn't really do anything... It was all thanks to you that we won, Steve!

I'd be modest here, but yeah, she was useless. Steve burned those two guys all by herself.

That was the only test? Beating up an elderly man and his faceless goon? No wonder Altea got invaded in the first game, their standards are low.

Marth is back. He was the hero of the prequel, and is one of the most recognizable FE characters, sheerly because of Smash Bros. He's around 20 in this one, if you're wondering.

: Ah, it's Prince Marth! He looks so majestic. So that's the face of the hero who saved the world. I love the stories about Prince Marth in the last war. How about you, Steve?

: Of course. After all, Prince Marth was the hero who brought an end to the previous war.

Exposition runs rampant in Castle Altea. We'll get more prequel recap next time as well.

: You there, silence! You stand before Prince Marth!

: Eep!

Geez, that was a little rude. Marth is a pretty nice guy, I doubt he'd care.

: Everyone. I'm truly happy that so many came to help shoulder Altea's future. With the war over, peace has returned. However, peace isn't something we can simply take for granted: It is my duty, as ruler, to risk my life to protect it. Alone, I am powerless. So, everyone. From now on, I want you to lend me your power, as my knights.

:japan:

: Hear hear, Prince Marth! It was wonderful hearing Prince Marth speak, wasn't it, Steve?

Pssh. Fangirl.

: Yeah, it was. We have to do our best as his loyal knights.

Avengers, Assemble!

And with that, we're done with Prologue 1.

Come back next time for Part 2, Team Fortress 4.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 25, 2014

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

:neckbeard:

Steve is the silliest looking avatar, but since she's going to be mostly forgotten by history anyway, we might as well give them an excuse not to remember her face.

BTW I still think you should switch to pngs. If not, at least stop compressing the jpgs so hard. This isn't pretty.

I am going to milk the dumb "Steve can't see" joke as much as I can, so that's partially on you.

Also yeah, the second update is PNGs, I just forgot to change it in the batch converter.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I cheerfully accept all the blame - no, actually only about 97%. Have a transparent Steve!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Part 2: Team Fortress 4

Last time on Fire Emblem 12, we set an elderly gentleman in purple armor and his generic soldier friend aflame. This time, we'll recap the prequel. Strap in, it's time for a lot of screenshots with some handy visual guides on the bottom screen!

I don't know how you pronounce that country. I always said "Dollar", but I'm not positive that's right.

That's Gharnef, the Dark Pontifex up top there. He's your standard evil wizard guy. We'll hear more about him later.

The guy to the right of Nyna there is supposed to be Marth's Dad, I think.

That's not really the whole story. Marth's father was betrayed by his allies in Gra (a country so poo poo it's not even on the map), and was backstabbed. This led to Marth's babysitters basically trying to kill him in the first game's prologue.

Being a hero and all, he of course got away.

This army consisted of two horse guys, a peg knight, a lovely archer, a knight, and a Jagen.

The Fire Emblem is something different in every game. Sometimes it's a shiny rock, other times it's jewelry with an evil god lodged in it or something.

Also around here Marth learned his mom was murdered by a dragon but he took it pretty well. I don't think he even said anything about it. Shadow Dragon :effort:. (To be fair it's an old game.)

He also trounced some other assorted minor villains, but let's skip to the good bit.

That's the basics of it, really. Shadow Dragon was not a super complex narrative. It should be noted that Marth did meet all the bonus characters in the first game, but did so without killing all his own allies. Probably because they realized that was a stupid gameplay decision.

In Shadow Dragon, to get to the bonus chapters, you had to be under a certain cap of units, which pretty much required sacrificing almost everyone you recruited. It was stupid. It is gone in this game.

We rejoin our sightless heroine as she stares (?) blankly at Katarina while she blabbers. Who could these mysterious allies be?

Dammit.

This kid is supposed to be 17. I don't know.

Did he expect them to just draw straws for this? Jagen, shouldn't you be making that choice?

: Don't make up our words...

You get the feeling Rody has seen this poo poo before.

: Excuse me. I'd like to recommend Steve.

: Katarina?

Oh, hey, Steve, what happened to your background? (Thank you vilkacis for valiantly serving the thread again. You are now commander of the 7th Thread Platoon.)

: Steve is a really strong individual. And she didn't abandon me during the mock combat yesterday, even though I couldn't fight.

: Alright then, I challenge her! Chris, if you beat me, I'll cede the position to you.

: Huh? How has it come to this...?

:shrug: Honestly, it's a little hard to tell when you don't have a face.

: Well then it's a man-to-woman challenge! Steve, you're not afraid to fight me, are you?

: Don't be silly. Steve won't lose to you.

: So we'll decide with a battle. That'll let us see who's got the skill to be commander.

Somewhere Jagen is cackling madly, jotting down notes in his Hunger Games fanfiction.

: He said the best way for men to understand each other is by fighting. Well, I'm a girl, but...

I like to imagine Steve's grandfather was Hulk Hogan or something.

Can we trade?

: Y-yes. I'll do my best.

Time for another fight, then.

: Rody, you wait at the back. I'll fight alone! It's just Steve and that kid, right? If that's all, I should be able to handle it. I'll show them my true strength.

: You're at it again? Fine, have it your way. But I think underestimating your opponent will get you into trouble.

Alright, gameplay again. Luke is the cavalier closer to us, Rody is in the bottom left. We've got Ryan with us for this map.

Ryan's a decent archer, with good growths in Strength and Skill. Also HP, but Archer, who cares. He'll never be a defensive powerhouse, but he can hold his own in a ranged fight.

Couple things to note in this screenshot. Ryan has an iron bow, which means if Luke comes after him, he can't counterattack. But there are forts on this map, which provide bonuses to defense and dodge, as well as heal you at the start of your turn. Useful stuff.

I'm choosing to camp Steve and Ryan on the forts to help them weather Luke's first attack.

He goes for Steve.

Luke packs a hell of a punch. This is with fortress defenses up.

Steve does pull off a counterattack though.

Steve heals up on the fort. You can't really see Luke here, he's under the blue box.

This puts him in perfect position for Ryan to let loose with an arrow shot.

Ryan is a year younger than him :what:.

Ryan does not take it well.

We'll let Steve finish off her...uh...rival.

:flame:

Aww, cheer up. You get better.

STEEEEEVVEEEEEEE :argh:

That's a lovely level if I've ever seen one.

Rody is going to wait for us to make the first move. As you can see, he's not as strong as Luke, but more well rounded. But I do have a plan.

FE12 gives you a nice feature where you can press X to see the damage dealing range of all enemies on the map, in this case, Rody. I want him close to Steve, so...

Go Ryan. Lure him with your green mop head.

He does, and does pithy damage. I let Ryan hit him again to chip some health away, and Rody decides to go for Steve.

: I need to see your ability firsthand, especially if you're to become the commander. I ask you this, as a fellow squire of Altea.

Steve chips his health down by 11, leaving him at 6, enough for Ryan to finish the fight.

Which he does. Despite my slow screenshot abilities causing it to look like they just kinda stare at eachother.

: Urgh! I see... You are even stronger than I had imagined...

:toot: (I never noticed before, but that top screen doesn't update. Ryan should be missing one more use on that bow, and have a bit more EXP.)

: Alright, I'm a man of my word. I'll keep my promise. From here on, the commander'll be Steve. Gah, but I don't get it! I was so confident in my skills! How did I wind up losing?!

: We took turns fighting Steve one-on-one. That's why we lost to her.

Poor Ryan :( Eternally ignored.

: Even if we are weak individually, we can become stronger by working together with our friends.

friendship

Friendship

: I see. I thought I could win through my strength alone.

FRIENDSHIP

: Yeah, it's all clear to me! It looks like being the leader is more trouble than it's worth! So I'll leave this bothersome job to Steve! I'm sure it'll be a joy working under her! Steve, I'll be looking forward to your help!

: ...Does he really get it?

:rimshot:

This next scene is different depending on the choices you made in MU creation.

: A title?

: Yeah. All the legendary heroes have their own awesome title! Hm, let's see... looking at your eyes...

Luke, you might want to rethink that last sentence.

:what:

: I don't really understand... Nor do I think it's something worth celebrating...

Oh Luke. You scamp. And that's the end of Prologue 2. Now that we've...bonded, we're unstoppable. Or something.

Join us next time for Part 3, Bachelorette Party

(I have all the screenshots done, so it should be fairly soon. I just didn't want to do 2 chapters in one update, because the post would drag on forever.)

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 26, 2014

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Wait, really? I WANT A REMATCH.

Also let it be known that "Dark Pontifex" is among the sillier things you can call your big bad.

(Also also let it be known that "timid" isn't the vibe I get from Steve. The eyes you get with the ninja mask are more like "dead-eyed killer stare", really.)

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 26, 2014

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

Also let it be known that "Dark Pontifex" is among the sillier things you can call your big bad.

(Also also let it be known that "timid" isn't the vibe I get from Steve. The eyes you get with the ninja mask are more like "dead-eyed killer stare", really.)

I did not think I would need to add a fan art section for my first dumb screenshot LP. Thank you for this. (Although it does appear Luke is doing less damage when he wields Ryan, clearly the Altean knight philosophy is off.)

And I'm intrigued now. We might get to see it eventually, even because I am making it a thread mandate that Steve wears Wendell's pope hat for at least one chapter

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

In Shadow Dragon, to get to the bonus chapters, you had to be under a certain cap of units, which pretty much required sacrificing almost everyone you recruited. It was stupid. It is gone in this game.

Which is why I've always found it funny that they keep talking about how kind and heroic Marth is. Dude racked up a massive body count and paved his way to success with the blood of his unfortunate subordinates.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 26, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

vilkacis posted:

Luke...that's not how you cheat in a bow rank, silly.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Although it does appear Luke is doing less damage when he wields Ryan, clearly the Altean knight philosophy is off.

Ryan is an archer, so you shouldn't expect too much :v:

Internet Kraken posted:

Which is why I've always found it funny that they keep talking about how kind and heroic Mart is. Dude racked up a massive body count and paved his way to success with the blood of his unfortunate subordinates.

I'm pretty sure it's canon that Marth gamesharked himself into those bonus chapters without actually meeting the requirements.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

LordHippoman posted:

Part 2: Even further (I'm going to figure out how to link to posts soon. Bear with me.)

You get a direct link to a post with the # button in the lower left. The BBcode page can explain the rest.

:golfclap:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Which is why I've always found it funny that they keep talking about how kind and heroic Marth is. Dude racked up a massive body count and paved his way to success with the blood of his unfortunate subordinates.

Everyone just miraculously got better. Perhaps through ritual sacrifice. We never do see Malledus in this one :tinfoil:

Level Seven posted:

You get a direct link to a post with the # button in the lower left. The BBcode page can explain the rest.

Oh hey, thanks. I'll update those when part 3 goes up.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Part 3: Bachelorette Party

Last time on Fire Emblem: Heroes Of Light And Shadow, we proved our superiority to our allies by beating the crap out of them. Well, except Ryan. But I think we know how that would go. This time around, we get to training.

These prologue chapters are riveting. Only 5 more to go!

: From today on, you will train together as a team in your bid to become fully-fledged knights. The first half of your training will focus on developing your practical skills. Without further ado, I will introduce the senior knight who is to be your instructor.

Oh Jagen. You're the most senior knight in my heart. :rimshot:

Another familiar face from Shadow Dragon, Cain was the only survivor of the Gra betrayal of Marth's dad, Cornelius.

I'm not sure how to read this threat but I'm fairly sure Cain is terrifying to train with. :gonk:

: Even amongst the Altean knights, Cain is one of our strongest men. You must all become strong enough to earn his approval.

Cain did end up as one of the best units in the previous game, so I can believe that.

: Let's begin today's training!

Three of Cain's friends are nameless goons. I think that's the FE universe equivalent of "hobos he bribed off the street".

: The opponents are determined by the ability of each platoon. 7th Platoon, your opponent is...

Cain does that dumb drum roll noise with his mouth, I assume.

Princess Cae-

:argh: Dammit, Katarina!

Well, let's get this show on the road.

Luke and Rody have been depowered a bit from their last appearance, but they're at least fighting on our side now! Luke has a sword, and Rody a lance.

This is probably a good time to bring up a staple of Fire Emblem combat, the weapon triangle! There are 3 main categories of melee weapons, Axes, Swords, and Lances. A weapon used against its weakness will grant the user additional hit rate and damage, and vice versa. How much depends on the level of the weapon in this game (E, D, C, etc.)

Lances>Swords>Axes>Lances

Bows, Tomes, and another weapon type we've yet to see are neutral in this. In some FE games, there's a magic triangle too, but not this one.

So, since there's two axe wielders and one sword wielding enemy among the faceless goons, we'll want to use Luke against the axe men and Rody against the mercenary, if possible.

Caeda here (Called Sheeda in Europe, I don't know if they're pronounced the same way) is nothing to sneeze at. That 12 speed is scary. We'll want to stay well out of her range. But as long as we do that, it ought to work perfectly so...

:aaa:

This map can actually be fairly tough on Hard and above. You have little room to maneuver, and since our MU is a squishy mage, she and Ryan won't be much help in soaking up hits from those three enemies that rush us right as the stage starts.

So I go with this setup, keeping Steve and Ryan towards the back, and staggering Luke and Rody to make it more difficult to get surrounded, and ensure all 3 enemies can't hit one of them.

Yikes. As you can see, two solid hits from these fighters will kill Rody.

Because of the staggered setup, though, they can't double team him, and the other has to go for Luke. That lower hit rate on the fighter's part is weapon triangle in action.

Unfortunately, the Mercenary can still reach Rody, but Weapon triangle advantage, combined with his lower strength, will keep our cavalier alive.

After all that, though, Rody is much worse for wear. Time to show off another feature of this game. See how Steve is adjacent to him? Keep that in mind.

Speaking of Steve, she doesn't quite have the damage necessary to finish off this merc. Maybe if her last level wasn't so poo poo! :argh:

She reduces him to one health anyway. But that doesn't help Rody's situation. So let's try something else.

Since Rody is next to Steve, he gets a new command, Trade.

It allows him to trade items with Steve, so let's take that Vulnerary.

Nice. That'll let him take another hit.

Ryan does some chip damage to the southeast fighter.

I move Luke to the fort to heal him up a bit, as well as try and lure the Fighters away so Rody isn't double teamed.

In retrospect, it would have been smarter to have him move one square south of Rody and thus prevent a double team by body blocking. This is the first of what are sure to be my many mistakes in this run.

Thankfully, the fighter cannot resist the sight of a squishy Steve. Her counter attack hurts, too.

And that vulnerary gives Rody just enough health to survive another hit.

Steve reacts badly to having axes sunken into her head.

And poor Rody finally gets his revenge on that drat fighter, softened up again by Ryan.

You can also select individual or groups of units to see the range of, instead of just "all of them".

Since I'm terrified of Caeda, I'm going to let Luke heal up on the fort first. She won't move until she has a shot at one of us.

After 2 turns, full health Luke is able to pull off Ryan's patented "Bait" strategy.

Caeda shows her Fire Emblem spirit!

...Actually I suck at screenshots. Here.

: Fear won't help you; approach with confidence and the intent to fight.

7 damage? Come on, Caeda.

...Oh. Yeah, Caeda has enough speed to double most units, making her twice as effective.

That 6 Resistance, compared to the 0 most units have right now, severely hampers Steve's effectiveness.

But chip damage still rewards exp.

It should be noted that Caeda is supposed to have a special quote for fighting MU, depending on their class, but I didn't get it for some reason. :confused:

Here it is from the script on Serenes:

: So you're a mage, Chris Steve? Pegasus knights are resistant to magic, you know. I'm not going to lose this one. Come, show me what you've got!

It is time to unleash our secret weapon.

DEPLOY THE RYAN

Bows deal triple damage to flying units, like Caeda here.

Apparently causing her to explode. Hopefully that doesn't ruin the wedding. :ohdear:

I wasn't slow on the screencap here. Caeda is just not much for words.

And Ryan gets a level that makes Steve look like a total chump. Step it up, Steve!

: Promise me you'll become squires worthy of helping Marth.

: If you ever need help during the practical training, do call on me. And I'll fight, but as your companion.

: Hmm? We'd gladly appreciate your help, but I'm not sure if we would be allowed to.

No, don't wake him from his nap. He gets cranky.

Where the hell did you come from?

Steve, did you forget the last chapter? Friendship?

Taking groups of like 12 or so people and letting everyone else sit on the bench and watch?

Oh god it's a quiz :derp:

Well, the more we get Jagen talking, the better, so let's say yes and let him blab.

: Then I shall tell you. Our victory in the previous war was not just by merit of Altea. Gathering and fighting together with allies of various positions and statuses... This is how Prince Marth fights. No matter when an ally came to our side, they could instantly join the battle with us. That is also a necessary skill for an Altean knight.

He says pretty much the same thing if you say no, but I have my reasons for saying yes.

Steve is blown away by this new coming of Friendship.

: If we can combine our strengths when we fight, I'm sure we can achieve anything. Right, Steve?

: Yes, you're right.

And that's the end of Prologue 3. It's pretty progressive of Altea to incorporate the king's betrothed into their violent mock combat training. But Caeda is pretty metal.

Next time, we are joined by a true hero in Part 4, Bald is Beautiful.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Holy poo poo Caeda how do you go from level 10+ Dracoknight to that in a couple of years? Someone has been slacking.

LordHippoman posted:

It should be noted that Caeda is supposed to have a special quote for fighting MU, depending on their class, but I didn't get it for some reason. :confused:

iirc it's because characters can only have one conversation per map, they just get the one with the first character they encounter who can have one and then ignore everyone else.

Which is dumb, but what can you do.

LordHippoman posted:

Next time, we are joined by a true hero in Part 4, Bald is Beautiful.

Aw hell yeah, best character in the game incoming!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I like this games prologue because it sets up what are essentially puzzles, and those are fun to solve. Later maps it kind of breaks down because you either have a bunch of really, really good units that can just roll over everything, or a bunch of poo poo units and you're just throwing bodies into the wood chipper hoping to clog it.

But then I don't like it because it has a ridiculously high jabber to action ratio and you can't use class swapping until it's over.

vilkacis posted:

Holy poo poo Caeda how do you go from level 10+ Dracoknight to that in a couple of years? Someone has been slacking.

And yet she's still insanely good and remains so for basically the whole game. Girl is broken.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

This is going up a little earlier than expected because I might have a busy week, and wanted to get this up.

Part 4: Bald Is Beautiful

Last time on Fire Emblem 12, we had a skirmish with the future queen of the country, and set her on fire before plunging an arrow into her gut.

She then decided to be our best friend. Anyway...

: Sigh.

Luke, you aren't supposed to say "sigh" out loud, you idiot.

: What's wrong, Luke?

: Don't you think it's a crying shame that there aren't any cute and caring clerics around?

: Wh-what do you mean?

Ryan, step away from the fantasizing weirdo.

: Hey, Steve the Timid, if we had a cleric like that with us, I bet we'd all fight twice as hard!

Blinking Luke, keep your hands where I can see them :gonk:.

:But it would make our lives easier if we had a healer on our side. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any healers around, Luke.

It's times like this I envy Steve's blindness.

You get no points for guessing what the good news is.

:aaa:

This is not blinking Wrys. That's his default expression.

:bigtran:

I think this image sums up this update pretty well.

Steve mumbles her inner monologue into her mask, I assume.

: Pay no heed to Luke; we're all fine. Pleased to make your acquaintance, Wrys.

One quick scene change later...

Yikes. That's a step up in the number of units.

Meet Athena. Athena was the first of the bonus characters to appear in Shadow Dragon (if you don't count Norne, who you only got by letting 2 or more people die in the prologue), and thus the one most players were most likely to see. She also turned out pretty solid.

Athena has a gimmick. Can you figure it out in this screenshot?

Katarina on point with the tips today. This is actually super important. She can kill Steve in a single round of combat.

So, I'll keep that in mind as the map starts. Let's take a look at our new allies.

Caeda here isn't the powerhouse destroyer of worlds she was in Shadow Dragon, but she's still probably our best unit right now. She still can't double Athena, but she won't be hit twice herself.

Wrys is a Curate who uses staves. Staves are a special kind of weapon that does no damage, but provides utility. The Heal stave heals you, with a bonus provided by the user's Magic stat. Wrys is god awful. But look at that head. He's also apparently sort of a meme in Japan, to the point where Satoru Iwata was gushing about him in the Iwata Asks for Shadow Dragon. Anyone remember those? :unsmith:

Anyway, that green area represents the ends of his healing range, just like red does for attack range. It's a nice touch.

I know I don't normally leave the bottom screen in on these battle shots, but I wanted to show what I'm doing here. Luke and Rody are going to form a makeshift wall to keep the enemies from coming down the chokepoint. But Luke is injured. Luckily, we have some help.

Luke finally gets to live out his steamy healing fantasy. With Wrys.

Steve could zap this guy down to 1 HP, but note that I also didn't have Rody attack his soldier. This is because I didn't want him to eat the counterattack with Wrys' turn spent.

For the same reason, I'm not using Steve to hit the soldier. If I get him too weak, he'll die to the counterattack on his turn, freeing up his spot on the map for one of those other units to come in and take a shot at Luke.

Instead, I have her chip away at the soldier Rody didn't attack, because Steve fears no counters.

This is just a habit of mine. I highlight all the bow units on the map, so I know where not to send my fliers, like Caeda.

That drat archer shoots an arrow into Rody...

And the soldier takes a shot too.

On his turn, he is not pleased.

I am, though. Nice level.

You'll see Luke and Rody start to diverge more here. Rody gets more Skill and Speed on average, while Luke is slanted towards Strength and Defense.

Wrys patches up Rody, but this is still kind of a bad situation. Lots of units at the chokepoint, and if you noticed, Athena actually moves towards us before we enter her range.

I need to mitigate the damage they can do, and that means the archer needs to go.

Thankfully, Caeda can double him down to 2 HP.

And I noticed that Ryan, right now, is about as solid a tank as Luke, despite being an archer, so I feel safe moving him into a blocking position. Finishing off the archer is important too.

Can you see how disappointing this is? 1 more Magic point and this would be a kill. Steve :argh:

Oh. Well that was nice of you! Seriously, this is a great level.

Pictured: Ryan tanking a spear with his face. Also preventing this guy from dying too quick and leaving his spot open.

Without the archer around, Caeda is in a much better position. So I don't mind too much that the boss rushed her. After all, she's one of the few people that can't be doubled by Athena.

This is how things look at the start of turn 3. I want Athena gone, and fast.

Ryan does what he does best, chip damage at a safe distance.

Caeda could use a little patching up as well, if she's going to continue tanking.

Meanwhile, poor 1 HP soldier gets completely overkilled by Steve, who I worry is starting to develop sociopathic tendencies.

Caeda brings Athena down to 7 HP. (Probably should have waited to heal her until after she took Athena's counter here. Whoops.)

And Luke returns from his brief exile to the southwest of the action to finish off the boss.

This is what I like to see. Keep doing this, game.

The remaining two enemies rushed Luke. This attack actually brought him down to 8 HP. Why bring this up?

Because this happened and it was terrifying.

The rest of the crew clean up (and Luke gets another soothing back massage from his buddy Wrys. That does actually give experience. I also like to torment Luke.)

Ryan caps things off with a decent level. I think he has more defense than the cavaliers now.

: Especially you. Vat is your name?

Shaken, not stirred. :smuggo:

: Steve. Ve vill remember that.

Hop in, I could use as many people as I can get. Also, what are those orange things under your eyes? I just noticed those.

:derp: Oh god, it was a test the whole time!

I thought this was "mock combat". Cain, are you hiding something from us?

Suspense! Tension!

:toot: :toot: :toot:

: A-Amazing! We did it! We did it, Steve! It's all thanks to you, Steve!

: But don't let your guard down. Placing first doesn't give you an excuse to start slacking off.

What was that Cain? While you were saying that I think Luke started using Ryan as a bludgeon again.

Steve, haven't you been here for like 2 days? Oh, right. Blind.

Ah! An assassin!

Oh. Or it's just Elice. Don't remember her from Shadow Dragon? She was in like 3 chapters and the prologue. Spent most of the game kidnapped by Gharnef.

: It's alright, Steve. I think it's very admirable that you've come to help Marth.

: It is an honor to serve Prince Marth, the Hero King.

:japan:

Geez. He saved you from the evil wizard guy and killed a giant dragon. The least you could have said was "more like Zero-King" and ran away giggling. This is just uncalled for.

: Prince Marth is weak?

: Yes. Of course, he was the hero who triumphed in the battle against the Shadow Dragon. However, behind his heroic face, Marth is an idealistic child who firmly clings on to his beliefs. And as you too must know, the real world... cannot be saved with just ideals.

: Yes, that's true...

: Even as we speak, somewhere unknown to us, our peoples' lives are being lost...

: But Marth cannot do that... He truly thinks that he can save everyone.

He is in the wrong series.

: ....

:In this cruel world, it will become increasingly difficult for him to continue to hold those ideals... Steve, if some day you should achieve knighthood...

Well that was...sobering. Does she have this conversation with every Junior Knight? She's lucky she didn't run into Luke.

I'll admit, the first time reading this bit in English (I'm a big dork who owns a Japanese hard copy of the game :goonsay:) confused me. It's the first time we see anyone doubt Marth or point out a flaw in him. He was the invincible hero in Shadow Dragon once the prologue ended, so this is new ground for him. We'll see if it goes anywhere.

Anyway, next time we run into an old staple of the series in Part 5, The First Bandit Chapter.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 27, 2014

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

You have Steve introducing herself twice and knowing Elice's name despite never hearing it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, Marth in this game... kind of not good at dealing with things.

Which makes Lucina in Awakening's vision of Marth as the guy who cleared Shadow Dragon with about five people left and zero fucks to give even funnier.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Wait you went with a mage MC? Why in the world would you do that.

And yeah, this game has the tendency to retroactively make Marth wimpier/give him serious PTSD so that the PC can step in and fill his normal, heroic role.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

MightyPretenders posted:

You have Steve introducing herself twice and knowing Elice's name despite never hearing it.

Whoops. Copypasted the same link twice there. I'll fix that.

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, Marth in this game... kind of not good at dealing with things.

Which makes Lucina in Awakening's vision of Marth as the guy who cleared Shadow Dragon with about five people left and zero fucks to give even funnier.

I don't think I've ever seen those lines in Awakening, that's hilarious.

Arbitrary Coin posted:

And yeah, this game has the tendency to retroactively make Marth wimpier/give him serious PTSD so that the PC can step in and fill his normal, heroic role.

Thread votes! The people have spoken (like 2 of them but still!) and they demand fireball slinging sensory impaired Steve.

And huh. I guess that makes sense, but I wonder if it changes the story much from the original, which I have admittedly not played, and doesn't feature MU.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
The original story was pretty bare bones, to be honest. Not as much as FE1, but most of Marth's characterization was that of a naive and optimistic prince fighting for justice and that's about it. With the added Prologue and a MU to talk to, Marth is fleshed out a bit more in this game as this noble individual whose naive ideals are clashing with the grim reality of war.

Also, call me nitpicky, but the current Steve portrait seems to be vertically squished. Poor girl already doesn't have much of a face, so I made a normal one for her:
(current one for comparison)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Miacis posted:

The original story was pretty bare bones, to be honest. Not as much as FE1, but most of Marth's characterization was that of a naive and optimistic prince fighting for justice and that's about it. With the added Prologue and a MU to talk to, Marth is fleshed out a bit more in this game as this noble individual whose naive ideals are clashing with the grim reality of war.

Also, call me nitpicky, but the current Steve portrait seems to be vertically squished. Poor girl already doesn't have much of a face, so I made a normal one for her:
(current one for comparison)

Oh hey, thanks!

I think I know why that is. The Steve screenshot I made the portrait with wasn't a square originally, so when I made it 71x71 like the ones for the other characters on FEwiki, it got squished a bit. So when it got transparent-ified by vilkacis, the squished dimensions stayed.

Although, since the original transparent Steve was made by vilkacis for the thread, I'd rather ask if it's cool with him before I switch them.

So, vilkacis, you mind if I use Miacis' less squished version?

(Side Note: This thread is bringing in a lot of great FE avatars and the skeleton is helping. Now if only we could get the Ephraimcopter guy in here...)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^Hell yeah, switch 'em!

No I'm pretty sure that's Dycedarg's elder brother. :itisasrpgjoke:

LordHippoman posted:

: Prince Marth is weak?

Kinda, yeah, he can't even promote! His girlfriend is much better.

Arbitrary Coin posted:

It can be done, so it must be done :colbert:

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion
Mage MC is worst MC since it reduces the amount of time your team can be entirely made up of flying death machines :colbert:

Also no one can dodge for poo poo with the formulas used so good luck.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Elice is kind of a dick. It's basically her thing even when she has only a passing relevance to the plot.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Oh hey cool another Fire Emblem LP.:toot:

Getting in on (mostly) the ground floor, FE games are always fun.

Arbitrary Coin posted:

This is the biggest difference I've had to keep in mind when switching between the GBA Fire Emblems, Awakening, and this game/Shadow Dragon. "Dodging" is almost a foreign concept in FE 11/12, and as such Vulnerarys/healers are much, much more of a necessity; you can't just throw someone into a fray of 8-9 enemies and expect them to come out just fine.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

I don't think I've ever seen those lines in Awakening, that's hilarious.

Lucina's description: "The Marth of history led the liberators and smashed the power of evil dragons! He brought peace to the entire world at the edge of a sword. He must've been a fierce, unforgiving man who struck fear in friend and foe alike! How could he not have been, when he was forced to wage such a terrible war?"

She did not look happy when she heard about Marth doing things like "caring about his friends" and "not being a murder-crazy psycho."

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

^Hell yeah, switch 'em!

Alright, I'll swap the portraits out in the next update. It's pretty dialogue heavy, so it'll see some use too.

Arbitrary Coin posted:

fade5 posted:

This is the biggest difference I've had to keep in mind when switching between the GBA Fire Emblems, Awakening, and this game/Shadow Dragon. "Dodging" is almost a foreign concept in FE 11/12, and as such Vulnerarys/healers are much, much more of a necessity; you can't just throw someone into a fray of 8-9 enemies and expect them to come out just fine.

Kinda interested in what the difference between dodge formulas in this and 6/7/8 is. I've noticed accuracy rates seem higher, but I haven't looked into it beyond "Swordsmasters hit and dodge good, pirates hit and dodge bad! :downs:" I'll take a look at it. Probably not going to do a big complex mechanics update, especially not this early, but if people really want it I can probably do one.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Never enough Fire Emblem LPs! :toot:

Also, apart from Steve's Luck-only level up at level 3, looks like your levels have all been pretty good so far. Which makes me worry about what the RNG is storing up for you... :ohdear:

Finally, let me add my thanks to Miacis for fixing the squished Steve portrait. I didn't notice it until he pointed it out, but now that I've seen it, it's bugging me -- so I'm glad it will be fixed now.

That's about all I have to say for now, but I'll be following the thread with interest.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

LordHippoman posted:

Alright, I'll swap the portraits out in the next update. It's pretty dialogue heavy, so it'll see some use too.

Kinda interested in what the difference between dodge formulas in this and 6/7/8 is. I've noticed accuracy rates seem higher, but I haven't looked into it beyond "Swordsmasters hit and dodge good, pirates hit and dodge bad! :downs:" I'll take a look at it. Probably not going to do a big complex mechanics update, especially not this early, but if people really want it I can probably do one.

The dodge formula in FE6-8 is Speed x 2 + Luck + Terrain + Support Bonus.

The dodge formula in FE 12 is probably the same as FE 11 (Shadow Dragon) which is Speed + 1/2 Luck + Terrain Bonuses.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Herein I have explained the operation of the sun.
That avoid formula is right but the main problem is that your Hit rate is a lot easier to buff than your Avoid rate. Every weapon type but Swords (which are already accurate) get +Hit at C rank and above and harder difficulties have enemies start out at higher weapon ranks. The only way to nullify this is with weapon triangle advantage (which gives its own hit rate buffs/debuffs that vary depending on your weapon rank).

This game is not kind to glass cannons. Mages especially have trouble with being OHKO'd by some enemies.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Tax Refund posted:

Never enough Fire Emblem LPs! :toot:

Also, apart from Steve's Luck-only level up at level 3, looks like your levels have all been pretty good so far. Which makes me worry about what the RNG is storing up for you... :ohdear:

Finally, let me add my thanks to Miacis for fixing the squished Steve portrait. I didn't notice it until he pointed it out, but now that I've seen it, it's bugging me -- so I'm glad it will be fixed now.

That's about all I have to say for now, but I'll be following the thread with interest.

Naw, this game ascribes more to the FE8-10 EVERYONE GETS GOOD GROWTHS style than FE11's "have fun with one or two +1s fucker!" growths style. Also reclassing. There's also characters who just have insane bases Palla :swoon:

Krumbsthumbs posted:

The dodge formula in FE6-8 is Speed x 2 + Luck + Terrain + Support Bonus.

The dodge formula in FE 12 is probably the same as FE 11 (Shadow Dragon) which is Speed + 1/2 Luck + Terrain Bonuses.

Awakening does 1.5X speed I think, so its alright. In general speed is pretty much an offensive stat in this game and you better get some actual tanks. No FE4 and 7-10 sending the mage with no defense or HP into 10 enemies and laughing as he dodges everything here!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Reclassing is something I'm thinking a lot about when we get to that point. I usually preferred to not reclass in Shadow Dragon for whatever reason (Sorta because nobody had a personality in that game and really, their classes were the only memorable things for some of them), but then I did a special playthrough where I drafted characters with a few other people on SerenesForest and we rolled dice to determine what class they'd be. Ended up with some really crazy poo poo and it was fun.

I'm thinking I'll probably leave a lot of those decisions up to the thread if people are interested in that.

The whole preparations screen I might make a separate post from the main one for each chapter (Probably one after another though) just so people who don't care about base conversations, training grounds, or JAGEN TACTICS HOUR (Which I love, coincidentally) can skip to the part where my guys fight the bad guys.

Anyway, I just finished screencapping the next chapter, and it'll go up when I find the time to write a big post and am less swamped with course work. Someone actually gets a crit in this one! And it's like, a useful one too. Marvels upon marvels in Prologue 5! Inching ever closer to the actual game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

btw you mentioned you screwed up capturing a screen, which means you're not recording and grabbing frames from that, which means i will personally come to your house and smack you until you start recording as it is Better.

unless you can't handle the FPS drop

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

btw you mentioned you screwed up capturing a screen, which means you're not recording and grabbing frames from that, which means i will personally come to your house and smack you until you start recording as it is Better.

unless you can't handle the FPS drop

Pshh, this laptop nearly melts trying to run Desmume and Youtube at the same time.

The FPS drop would be in the form of molten plastic all over my hands.

I could probably do GIFs of crit animations and stuff, but all the critical animations in this game and Shadow Dragon are :effort:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

LordHippoman posted:

Pshh, this laptop nearly melts trying to run Desmume and Youtube at the same time.

The FPS drop would be in the form of molten plastic all over my hands.

I could probably do GIFs of crit animations and stuff, but all the critical animations in this game and Shadow Dragon are :effort:.

You could try using VirtualDub and recording your footage from there. It also acts as a video editor, so you can capture the moments you want seen as videos or GIFs more easily. Of course if that also drops your FPS, sorry. But recording a video and grabbing screenshots from that makes your workload so much lighter.

• Locked thread