Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Stefan Prodan posted:

Maybe don't do it all in one day?

League of Legends is a game with a lot of stuff involved in it and a lot of things to learn

There's actually a lot to absorb from each individual video and I picked up some things from the ADC positioning video after watching it and trying to apply the practices the first time around. Watch a video, learn some poo poo, come back to it or a different one later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

EVGA Longoria posted:

Is there a version of his 101 (or comparable) that doesn't have me devoting a day to watching a dude on youtube play a video game?

Even the bare minimum video playlist is over 7 hours.

I like League, it's fun to play, and I'd like to get a bit better. But that's loving ridiculous.

The entirety of his channel is actually extremely good and worth your time. It's silly to just watch it in one go, though. I did it in about two weeks, watching one or two per day.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

EVGA Longoria posted:

Is there a version of his 101 (or comparable) that doesn't have me devoting a day to watching a dude on youtube play a video game?

Even the bare minimum video playlist is over 7 hours.

I like League, it's fun to play, and I'd like to get a bit better. But that's loving ridiculous.

Just watch and digest one video at a time.

He also has links to his lecture slides - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/e34f6550ckkat/Leaguecraft_Lectures

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014
In other news, possible Soraka changes in next patch:

Vesh posted:

I'm looking into a number of potential changes for her in the patch after this next one. The missile speed was actually put in so you could see how many hits you got on Q and then choose whether or not to heal an ally before they reached you (because they heal more when you're at lower health) as a small optimization. Also, having them move too fast would disrupt a lot of the clarity of the enemy seeing whether or not they were hit and where Soraka's healing is coming from. We could possibly speed them up some, but I'm not sure if that's the place I really would want to buff Soraka. Right now I'm primarily looking at her E cooldown (possibly raising it), her W range (possible increasing it) and her Q cast paradigm (changing it to fixed travel time instead of variable depending on distance. this would be a nerf at close range but a buff at far ranges and will also increase how understandable/usable the spell is for a number of players).

All of this is tentative though, but those are the things I'm looking at primarily. She might not need any of that at all but we will be testing some changes. I'm more concerned with usability/fairness than power right now because it's hard to get a good power read with all of the preseason changes being tested right now. For instance, with the new Dragon granting increasing buffs, Soraka is naturally more powerful because she allows certain junglers to take dragon extremely early with her heals.

The fixed travel time for Q will be excellent. I am rather awful at predicting enemy movement (particularly against people with lots of movespeed and dashes), so it will definitely increase my odds of landing a max-range Starcall. The E cooldown being raised is kind of sad, but I will take that if it means a longer casting range for W.

I am curious about the comment regarding the future Dragon buffs. It seems that Soraka's niche is not going to be to peel for her carry or make picks, like most current supports, but instead she fits better into self-peeling, low-sustain teamcomps. Very interesting.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Silver III: Above Average

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Tonetta posted:

Silver III: Above Average

That's pretty much the only thing you can say positive about us. :smith:

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

AdorableStar posted:

That's pretty much the only thing you can say positive about us. :smith:

Ya'll got heart for the most part that's gotta count!

Smettbo
Sep 18, 2008
Just wanted to let all the Silver players aiming for Gold by the end of the season that you can totally do it and I believe in you. Just play the game, don't stress out, and it will come!

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Servaetes posted:

It's just Yashichi so that's pretty acceptable losses :shrug:

I'm offended and let me exhaustively document the reasons why:

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

all udyrs go to hell

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Smettbo posted:

Just wanted to let all the Silver players aiming for Gold by the end of the season that you can totally do it and I believe in you. Just play the game, don't stress out, and it will come!
It's way too late, I've almost fallen down to Silver III now. More trolls + More disconnects + more bad luck.

Season 4: Silver once again

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Smettbo posted:

Well, there lies the problem

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Flameingblack posted:

It's way too late, I've almost fallen down to Silver III now. More trolls + More disconnects + more bad luck.

Season 4: Silver once again

RIP. I'm at 95 LP Silver I and will get Gold on Wednesday. Literally have not encountered a single troll, unless you count a Tristana who was obviously inexperienced at the role and had no idea how to play the champion. She raged out until I started carrying her hard, then fell in line for the win.

"Just play." -Gowby, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

glomkettle posted:

all udyrs go to hell

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

glomkettle posted:

all udyrs go to hell

including you mikujin im sorry

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

they're too drat fast!

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
They buy no combat stats for 20 minutes and are still effective/completely valueless

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

NTT posted:

including you mikujin im sorry
I don't really play much of him anymore. New jungle might change that.

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

PA and CK owned. Blink up to someone every ten seconds and crit them for 1.2k damage. Imagine that in league.

Isn't that what happens when someone stacks AP and smartcasts all his spells on 1 guy?

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
No, that happens when you play Rengar and stack AD items.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Lovechop posted:

One shot the ADC who doesn't have it and then stand around doing nothing

Or split push instead

This. Also always buy a bloodthirster if you can after Hydra and Cleaver/LW. I nab it 2nd if I'm snowballing super hard, 3rd/4th depending on how much armor the enemy already has (I get Cleaver/LW before completing a BT if the enemy starts building a lot of armor). Lifesteal/AD/Penetration stack is pretty much how it should go for your build.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit
What's the best resource for counters? lolcounter.com is usually pretty light on tips and it can be a bit lengthy and hit or miss pulling up a LoLking guide and hoping to find one guy's opinion in the matchups section while in champ select. Is there a great one I don't know about? Or even better, a resource that breaks down what makes a good comp or counter and why?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Man, Victorious Morgana looks amazing and easily the best Victorious skin yet. V. Elise looks completely underwhelming compared to this.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Don't worry about counters and play what you want. Use your brain and understand what you are capable of and what your opponent is capable of and find your openings to get favorable trades.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Here's the best advice you'll ever get: Play to win.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Brannock posted:

Yeah, just keep winning games and you'll get to challenger easy.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

All Else Failed posted:

What's the best resource for counters? lolcounter.com is usually pretty light on tips and it can be a bit lengthy and hit or miss pulling up a LoLking guide and hoping to find one guy's opinion in the matchups section while in champ select. Is there a great one I don't know about? Or even better, a resource that breaks down what makes a good comp or counter and why?

No.

To expand: don't worry about counters unless you are diamond. Play the champs you like and learn their matchups. If you play Diana a ton and see the chance to pick into Kat, by all means do so! But picking a champ just to counter the enemy is a horrible idea and you will lose most of the time doing it. See: the teemo I killed the other day as Tryndamere, everyone who picks Sivir into Cait, and that moron who picked Ice King into my Fionna

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

No.

To expand: don't worry about counters unless you are diamond. Play the champs you like and learn their matchups. If you play Diana a ton and see the chance to pick into Kat, by all means do so! But picking a champ just to counter the enemy is a horrible idea and you will lose most of the time doing it. See: the teemo I killed the other day as Tryndamere, everyone who picks Sivir into Cait, and that moron who picked Ice King into my Fionna

Just pick Gunter, there's absolutely nothing that counters him.

fnox
May 19, 2013

It's not "when you are diamond". You will near universally play better on a comfort champion in a bad matchup than with an unknown champion in a good matchup. It's dumb to try and counter when you don't know poo poo about who the enemy is. Counter picks are done in competitive to push a weakness of a particular player and get him off his comfort picks, but you gotta know what those are in the first place.

Headline
Jul 9, 2008

by XyloJW

kingcobweb posted:

Just pick Gunter, there's absolutely nothing that counters him.

word

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Always check counter picks so when you're poo poo talking one of your lanes thats losing you can phrase it like "can you explain to me WHY you would pick shen into garen and fight before level 7?" instead of calling them the n word straight off. Always work up to it.

Smettbo
Sep 18, 2008
Do people still think Sivir is a good pick into Cait? That terrible idea has been around since season 2. Caitlyn has 150 range on Sivir and can autoattack Sivir with impunity if she ever tries to cs. But, "lol free mana = free win"

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Brannock posted:

Here's the best advice you'll ever get: Pay to win.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Smettbo posted:

Do people still think Sivir is a good pick into Cait? That terrible idea has been around since season 2. Caitlyn has 150 range on Sivir and can autoattack Sivir with impunity if she ever tries to cs. But, "lol free mana = free win"

So your post is to ask if anyone agrees with the terrible idea you posit?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Brannock posted:

What? No. Play to not lose. You win by capitalizing on your opponents mistakes when they make them.

E: this leads to really long games though

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Smettbo posted:

I played ADC for my 5s team at school and picked Cait into Sivir against the objections of 4 of my teammates. The support spent the whole opening of the game whining about how she'll never run out of mana once I start dropping traps. He was on Leona and after she shielded my cookie I actually sat back away from my computer and looked at the support and said, "Guess what's on cooldown for another 22 seconds?"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else having trouble logging in right now?

Server status says it's up, but I'm getting all sorts of "all hosed up" messages. :-/

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Thanatosian posted:

Is anyone else having trouble logging in right now?

Server status says it's up, but I'm getting all sorts of "all hosed up" messages. :-/

Yes I think NA is kaput for tonight. Multiple people on Twitter are saying down too.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

All Else Failed posted:

If you have to ask, do not play a counter pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Nasus is the most boring champion ever. If you can't first blood him before his first back you automatically lose the Nasus game and it loving sucks.

edit: Please nerf TP for outer turrets only, thanks Riot.

• Locked thread