Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

keyvin posted:

Out of curiosity, what are you exposing to the internet on your Pi?

I have Sabnzbd, Sickbeard and Couchpotato running and accessible externally. I want to upgrade Bash to the current version because it's a pointless risk and mainly because I haven't upgraded packages in 3 months or more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

YouTuber posted:

Err I tried updating my Pi running Raspbian so that the Bash exploit would get fixed. It's giving me some guff about "E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead." When I apt-get update. When I apt-get upgrade it does nothing, no packages update.

Should I just edit my sources.list to use the Debian repositories? It appears that the Raspbian ones are out of date.
Did you try more than once? I sometimes have problems connecting to the raspbian update servers. Also, if you haven't updated/upgraded in a while, you might want to also run apt-get dist-upgrade.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

PDP-1 posted:

You should be able to find a solid state relay that will take a 3.3V input and switch 240VAC for around $30 new, or less for used/eBay vendors.

Awesome, that's what I needed thanks!

The search terms "solid state relay" in ebay got me this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-Sta...=item4183956daf

3-33v DC input.
30-240 VAC output at 50a.

More than enough to directly contact the immersion coil (which is high current resistive load).

Also £3? Crazy cheap.

I'll be making sure I test it heavily, rather than trust cheap Chinese kit!

e: ebay Fotek's are of varing quality. Might shop around to make sure I don't buy crap!

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 5, 2014

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Jamsta posted:

Awesome, that's what I needed thanks!

The search terms "solid state relay" in ebay got me this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-Sta...=item4183956daf

3-33v DC input.
30-240 VAC output at 50a.

More than enough to directly contact the immersion coil (which is high current resistive load).

Also £3? Crazy cheap.

I'll be making sure I test it heavily, rather than trust cheap Chinese kit!

e: ebay Fotek's are of varing quality. Might shop around to make sure I don't buy crap!

I can recommend sainsmart, they are decent chinaquality.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

This is probably not the right thread for this but I can't figure out where else to ask it. I'm trying to set up my pi as a time machine volume using netatalk 3.1 and raspbian wheezy (september 2014). I can connect to the pi as an afp shared volume but time machine doesn't show it in volumes I can back up to. My afp.conf looks like:

code:
[Global]
 mimic model = TimeCapsule6,106
 log level = default:warn
 log file = /var/log/afpd.log
 hosts allow = 10.0.0.0/16

[Homes]
 basedir regex = /home

[TimeMachine]
 path = /mnt/data/timecapsule/
 valid users = talentdeficit
 time machine = yes
/mnt/data/timecapsule is owned by talentdeficit and it's permission mask is 755. Again, everything works except selecting the volume as a time machine target

Anyone got this working?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

PDP-1 posted:

You should be able to find a solid state relay that will take a 3.3V input and switch 240VAC for around $30 new, or less for used/eBay vendors.

Just wanted to say thanks again - I've built a Pi GPIO > SSR > EM RELAY > 240v device switcher.

The EM relay is required to avoid the thermal management requirements of SSRs. They tend to get very hot on heavy loads, so rather than heatsink it, it was easier to chain it to a high current EM relay I already had.

A friend recommended a MOC3020 as a cheaper/smaller option - but the SSR was cheap enough for me and comes in a solid package with screw down wire clamps. The only downsides being bigger and a lot heavier - but for my project was a non-issue.

Using cron Python scripts to switch a GPIO pin it cascades nicely down to an immersion heater (or a desk lamp in my test rig).

This is what I have today. Excuse the bad redundant wiring, I'm going to clean that up before I put it near my heater.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
A quick heads-up, I'm trying to sell a couple Pis over in SA-Mart if anyone's interested.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3673633

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
What are people using for remotes with the Pi and openelec/rasbmc/Rasplex? Seems there are a lot of options out there so was wondering what remotes people like to use day to day?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The HDMI CEC compatibility with Raspbmc means I only use the TV remote for working through menus, play pause etc. Most of the time I'm picking a film from the iOS XBMC app.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I use the tv remote 95 percent of the time. My preferred android remote is yatse.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I use a cheap 2.4GHz handheld thingie that has a small trackpad as well as a keyboard.
It works well enough and didn't need a whole lot of fiddling to setup.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I am using an ATI remote. Works pretty nicely without setup, but the RF receiver can be wonky at times, requiring me to find a weird direction to point the remote at.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I always used a Logitech K400 wireless keyboard/trackpad. Got the thing because I didn't have a spare USB keyboard for playing with the Pi, kept using it when I made it a media machine.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Has anyone else tried 1080p youtube videos with omxplayer?
I used youtube-dl to download them but it'll stop playing video part way through and the video is mostly unseekable.

I'm going to try the standard 720p ones and see if they work fine.

Edit:
They work fine, it must be a problem with how youtube-dl handles whatever ungodly format youtube uses.

PS. Love the cabin fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 19, 2014

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Heners_UK posted:

What are people using for remotes with the Pi and openelec/rasbmc/Rasplex? Seems there are a lot of options out there so was wondering what remotes people like to use day to day?

For raspbmc I just use the iOS app. If my phone is not at hand, or I'm too lazy to move from my couch and I have my laptop at hand, I use the web "remote".

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I picked up a rii i8 control for messing around with Linux on the pi. Full keyboard with a track pad built in. When using xbmc I use the tv remote usually.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Lots of people who mentioned HDMI CEC remotes posted:

HDMI CEC

I should have said, I'm moving from a TV which has HDMI CEC (and yep, I use the TV remote) to one that does not have it.

deong posted:

I picked up a rii i8 control for messing around with Linux on the pi. Full keyboard with a track pad built in. When using xbmc I use the tv remote usually.

This is the current leader as it's got a somewhat easily accessible Direction Pad with enter key and easy to access play/pause button. However, I heard that earlier models of this had a small delay when starting up after they go into power saving?

There looks to be a good selection of products here: http://www.geekbuying.com/category/Wireless-Keyboards-1558/1-80-3-0-0-0-grid.html

However I really can't find anything that has all of:
* Classic "TV remote like" shape
* Easy to access and use D-Pad with enter key in the centre
* Easy to reach play/pause and back buttons
* Not much else, especially not when they restrict or clutter access to the above. For the rare times I need it, I can plug a keyboard in.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 20, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Heners_UK posted:

However I really can't find anything that has all of:
* Classic "TV remote like" shape
* Easy to access and use D-Pad with enter key in the centre
* Easy to reach play/pause and back buttons
* Not much else, especially not when they restrict or clutter access to the above. For the rare times I need it, I can plug a keyboard in.
I don't even have a Raspberry Pi, but for some reason I was intrigued and I started googling this stuff. There are really nice remote controls that fit your requirements, but they are all IR (like the Apple, XBOX One or Zune remote).

Anyway, I came across Flirc, an IR receiver you can program to transmit keystrokes over usb. This article summarizes it better than their own website imho.

Seems like a neat/flexible solution. It's on Amazon too if that lends it a bit more credibility than just a random niche webshop.

And then there exist mini keyboard/touchpad/simple ir remote combos (Rii K25, iPazzport), though using those together with the Flirc will use up two usb ports obviously.

I have not owned any of these things, so don't see this as a recommendation, but more as some poo poo you can google reviews for or something.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I have two of these, one on a Pi and one on a homebuilt Atom/Ion machine. They work great with XBMC, there's another model of roughly the same shape that comes with an RF dongle if you want to keep the Pi hidden.

http://www.amazon.com/Azend-Group-MediaGate-HA-IR01SV-Ultimate/dp/B00123UGWQ/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1413842985&sr=8-22

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Considering picking one of these up for both hobbyist learning purposes and to create a classroom wall display I can throw stuff up on, like a twitter feed. I see there are some bundles and preinstalled things, what would be my best option to buy to get started? Any bundles with an SD card or anything? Is NOOBS what I should go with? Thanks!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Flipperwaldt posted:

I don't even have a Raspberry Pi, but for some reason I was intrigued and I started googling this stuff. There are really nice remote controls that fit your requirements, but they are all IR (like the Apple, XBOX One or Zune remote).

Anyway, I came across Flirc, an IR receiver you can program to transmit keystrokes over usb. This article summarizes it better than their own website imho.

Flirc would be a great option IF I had another remote I could use :( But you have me thinking, I prefer RF but do not require it (IR is acceptable);

PitViper posted:

I have two of these, one on a Pi and one on a homebuilt Atom/Ion machine. They work great with XBMC, there's another model of roughly the same shape that comes with an RF dongle if you want to keep the Pi hidden.

http://www.amazon.com/Azend-Group-MediaGate-HA-IR01SV-Ultimate/dp/B00123UGWQ/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1413842985&sr=8-22

I'm trying to hunt this down as it looks perfect from my list of requirements. Both Amazon.com and .ca are sold out or astronomically priced, but I will persevere.

All others, this is kind of what I'm looking for:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ah, man. From your requirements ("not much else") I thought ultra minimalism was pretty important.

What you show there is a windows media center type of remote. Throwing that in Amazon brings you a couple of similar things with an USB IR receiver, like this, this or this and then a bunch of them (way) over $30.

I'm absolutely guessing that all WMC certified remotes work in the same way.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm absolutely guessing that all WMC certified remotes work in the same way.

From what I recall they are really just USB/IR keyboards with their buttons programmed to the same hotkeys as WMC.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I'm building a retropie for my sister and her boyfriend. Are there any good ways to have an on/off switch for this thing? Any switchable power supplies?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
There's a USB cable with a switch in it for sale on one website. I'm not sure how common those are, or what websites would be carrying them outside of the UK, but it's something.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Nystral posted:

I'm building a retropie for my sister and her boyfriend. Are there any good ways to have an on/off switch for this thing? Any switchable power supplies?

I feel like building one wouldn't be terrible. I just ran mine off the USB on my tv, it booted and shut down with the tv and I never had any issues.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Just a heads up, the Adafruit 2.8" tft touchscreen is on Massdrop at the moment. It seems like its a pretty decent saving.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently the Beaglebone Black got upgraded to a 4GB eMMC and they're finally shipping with a variant of Debian with pin overlay/capemgr support, plus they're actually in stock now. Price bump to $55 though, but they're about twice as fast as a Pi.

Previously they shipped with a Linux distribution "Angstrom" which almost nobody tests/builds against except for core functionality software, especially on ARM. In particular USB Wi-Fi dongles.

I tried out the march beta of Debian on BBB and it's actually quite good, probably will upgrade my BBB here next month and give it a try.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 27, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nystral posted:

https://www.tindie.com/products/nsayer/pi-power/

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Pretty sure that wasn't the swtching he was talking about. Still cool though :)

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
This is what they are prolly looking for. Hold it down for 2 seconds and it properly shuts down the system and cuts power.

http://www.mausberrycircuits.com/products/illuminated-led-shutdown-switch

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

keyvin posted:

Pretty sure that wasn't the swtching he was talking about. Still cool though :)

I agree, but I think that plus an on/off switch using the GPIO pins is the best way to go. Meh. :)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah you really want to cleanly shut down the Pi. Just killing the power might corrupt the SD card if it's in the middle of a write. I always run 'sudo shutdown -h now' to shut down the OS and then power it off when the activity light stops blinking. Have never once had a corrupted SD card with this method.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah you really want to cleanly shut down the Pi. Just killing the power might corrupt the SD card if it's in the middle of a write. I always run 'sudo shutdown -h now' to shut down the OS and then power it off when the activity light stops blinking. Have never once had a corrupted SD card with this method.

And since you're giving this thing out as a gift to people that presumably don't know much about the Pi it will end with less headaches for you. :)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Or just tell them to keep it running all the time. The Pi only pulls a couple watts so it's not a huge power drain.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
Kind of a strange question, is there an option in any of the distros that I could use on the Pi that would allow a screen rotation? Like you're looking at the display normally and you can type something to flip the display upside down?

Edit: the very odd goal would be to allow a toggle switch to flip it 180 degrees if two people were sitting on opposite ends of it. So a command line that could be mapped to a button or something.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Kodilynn posted:

Kind of a strange question, is there an option in any of the distros that I could use on the Pi that would allow a screen rotation? Like you're looking at the display normally and you can type something to flip the display upside down?

Edit: the very odd goal would be to allow a toggle switch to flip it 180 degrees if two people were sitting on opposite ends of it. So a command line that could be mapped to a button or something.

http://www.faqforge.com/linux/rotating-screen-in-ubuntu-and-linux-mint/

protomexican
May 1, 2009
I'm trying to install Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup on my raspberry pi, but I'm a total linux noob. Here are the directions on the crawl website. I've added the line to sources.list and downloaded the pubkey; what do I do next?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
You need to update the package list, and then install the package. Looks like the two packages are 'crawl' and 'crawl-tiles', so run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install crawl crawl-tiles

You can probably leave off crawl-tiles from the last command and I assume it will just use text graphics. Then I'm guessing to start it you just run 'crawl' at the command line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Anyone here have experience using the hifiberry DAC+ ? i want to use my raspberry pi B+ as a streaming device for my stereo, and this looks like the ideal solution for that purpose. I'd also like to use a piTFT or similar, but i can't find any details on which pins the piTFT or the DAC+ use and if i can use both at the same time.