Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

If no one else does, I'll write words on operations on Sunday cause we learned quite a bit today, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Guuuhh! :argh:

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
If nobody else is going to do it, I guess I'll create another task force. I'm just having trouble thinking of a good name.

Any suggestions?

RennZero
Oct 10, 2007

"Get in."
I started one called Boat Pirates, with the description, "I like big boats and I cannot lie."

I disbanded it to join the goonfleet. So you can take that if you want!

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Aaaaand that's perfect. Boat Pirates it is!

The tag is #80UR2J9.

Anyone who applies just mention something SA related so I know you're not some scum sucking pub.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Chubbs posted:

Aaaaand that's perfect. Boat Pirates it is!

The tag is #80UR2J9.

Anyone who applies just mention something SA related so I know you're not some scum sucking pub.

Digging the name. Added it to the OP.

Task Force Operation Pointers

This is coming from Goonfleet's second day of task force operations. We are size 50, but I think all of this still applies due to scaling.

We done learned some stuff!

• Don't feel obligated to do Milk Run, the 20 intel operation. It's a waste of an operation.

• Don't rush ahead to do Mamba, the 200 intel operation. It's very tough; bases all have +100% building HP (or more) statues, and +47% building damage.
  • This meant rocket launchers with 39k hp and 89 dps. Ouch.

• Only one person attacks at a time. Everyone can spectate live and watch the replay.

• Damage is persistent. If the first attacker blows up a building, the next attacker sees that building as destroyed.

• Use your stronger fighters to clear a path for lower level members to zooka-rush the core, especially for splash damage which will destroy lower level units easily.

• Only the power core on each base needs to be destroyed. It will in turn blow up all buildings, giving you full force point value for the base.

• Coordination is key. Listen to your task force chat to know what everyone is thinking. We ended up wasting 4+ waves of tanks due to attacking the wrong base/the wrong side of the base/general goonery despite multiple people laying out sound attack plans.

• You can also watch the replays of failed attacks to see where people positioned themselves to know where some safe zones are that you can flare to.

• This applies to raiding as well: Scout out the base in detail before attacking. You can see where each turret can shoot, exactly how many HP each tower has, and exactly how much DPS each tower does.
  • For cannons, multiply their DPS by 3 (they shoot once every 3 seconds) to know how much it does in a single shot (and then double that if you're using tanks to know if your tanks will be one-shot).
  • For Boom cannons, multiply by 4 (they shoot once every 4 seconds). Double damage to tanks.
  • For mortars, multiply by 5 (they shoot once every 5 seconds). Same damage to tanks.

• Similarly, know your own artillery and barrage strength. Find this within the armory, along with unit HP and damage. This will let you know roughly how much damage you can dish out to a shocked target before it wakes up and kills you. Or something.

I gotta go, feedback? Post-mortem advice?

RennZero
Oct 10, 2007

"Get in."
I discovered today that shock launchers will absolutely wreck your poo poo! Those should be a priority target when clearing the way to the core.

Not only do they freeze your guys in place but they also do pretty good damage, enough to one or two shot a zooka swarm.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Anyone got a good HQ14 layout?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Am I ever gonna be able to build more than one building at once? Jesus.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Am I ever gonna be able to build more than one building at once? Jesus.

Nope. I complained about it at first but you get used to it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Yeah I hosed up and spent 280 Intel. The bases are nearly impossible for us so lesson learned. We need to spend 150-190 Intel. Also we won't likely be getting much more Intel unless they change the respawn formula. My map is clear now so I'm hoping I get more bases to attack.

Speaking about the respawns, the max of 25 bases scaled to your HQ is basically stupid, you have so few choices to raid for big resources now. Also there is rumours from the Chinese version there is a loot cap.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

jm20 posted:

Yeah I hosed up and spent 280 Intel. The bases are nearly impossible for us so lesson learned. We need to spend 150-190 Intel. Also we won't likely be getting much more Intel unless they change the respawn formula. My map is clear now so I'm hoping I get more bases to attack.

Speaking about the respawns, the max of 25 bases scaled to your HQ is basically stupid, you have so few choices to raid for big resources now. Also there is rumours from the Chinese version there is a loot cap.

It's scaled to Radar, not HQ. Also per the Supercell forums, some players are bugged for respawns, which I think is affecting you cause I've had at least 8 respawns now (level 16 radar) and we're pretty equal VP-wise.

Loot cap would be bullshit. I don't know wtf SC is thinking with this update unless they really think people will keep playing even though it's grindier I totally will :(

tophet
Oct 28, 2003

Young Orc
alright, someone help me figure out how to attack this base:

I'm level 8 hq so I have riflemans, heavys, zookas and warriors.

Thanks.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

All riflemen like you have. You have Shockbombs I think, so rush the MG nests and shockbomb in the middle to disable everything while you wreck the MG nests. Keep chaining shockbombs while you wreck everything.

One shockbomb will disable the two front MGs and the cannon and the sniper, so come in from the very bottom-left.

tophet
Oct 28, 2003

Young Orc
Awesome, that worked, thanks!

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Thanks JM! I just cleared all my bases last night too. :qqsay:

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I'm HQ16 now, can I get a spot in Goonfleet? (Boggy B)

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
We're full, but check the thread for the other goon squad.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

gromdul posted:

Thanks JM! I just cleared all my bases last night too. :qqsay:

Yeah I hosed up huge nbd.

So I got 5 pvp bases now, and they all have less than 50k stone/iron. How will I do upgrades now? When I'm doing 1500k/1400k/600k for a single lc level I really don't see how I can do this given that I can't chain the bases now and dr terror no longer gives me decent resources. The task force rewards, sure I get 500k gold or 14 gems (so generous) or 300k wood or 200k stone? For the new players that is huge, but for me I can't do anything with that at all. This game got super grindy with no way out but :10bux:

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
What do the new leader borders and purple color signify?

In addition to everything else they changed on the map, they seemed to have turned way down the amount of diamond chests that spawn. Besides taskforces, not a fan of the patch.

RVT fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 27, 2014

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
This update is dumb. It got me more interested in playing, but the respawn rate is so low that I don't have anything to attack. Just player bases that I can't beat until I unlock medics, and Hammerman 35.

I took a stab at Hammerman 35 with warriors and they all died. 40k gold in troops lost to a base that has a reward of 75k gold.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
http://forum.supercell.net/showthread.php/435568-Feedback-Status-Update

They posted a response to the player feedback.

For instance, I am at radar level 12. The max number of bases for a fully explored map is 18. I currently have 17 player bases. 20 if I include resource bases (not sure if they count). I also have two unexplored areas, which probably do count towards my cap (since I haven't had an invasion since I cleared the npc maps a few days ago).

So I guess I just have to skip the bases I can't tackle until I get ones I can clear until I can get below 18 bases, then I will see respawns.

I also still have Hammerman 35, which may or may not count towards the cap.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
New Task Force for goons if the others fill up:
Patton's Heroes

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
They made a minor update to the number of possible bases on your map today. It's still not great, and everyone I refresh has 100k wood which wont buy me anything. As soon as I'm a smidge over 100k in any resource to steal someone attacks me now :shrug:

With only 15-25 bases on my map it will take days weeks to cycle to find decent targets to attack for upgrades.

Edit: I picked a new Task Force target, I hope this one is better.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

SamEyeAm posted:

New Task Force for goons if the others fill up:
Patton's Heroes

Added to the OP. What's the # for it?

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

S.T.C.A. posted:

Added to the OP. What's the # for it?

#2GRP90R

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
This game blows dick now.

I don't know how much I need to write to make this a non-poo poo post, but the game went from having fun via progressing by stomping inefficient bases & pinjata-style plentiful loot Dr. Terrors, to grinding mission style player bases for minimal gains, and all Dr.Terror enemy defensive emplacements HP modified by 10x for even less resources.

What a world we live in, where games have become more tedious than work.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Nah, games are much less tedious now. But instead of costing $25-50, they cost $200-10,000 depending on if you want to see the end or not.

Star Wars Commander is still a lootfest with quick upgrade times. Too bad it's a buggy mess with about 10% of the SuperCell polish. I'm sure the loot will be nerfed into the ground before they fix that though.

RVT fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 29, 2014

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
The last TF I picked was 155 Intel and we cleaned its clock, so this time I'll pick one slightly above it. That is unless anyone gets to it first.

edit: Picked a 175 for this one

My Rewards for the previous 155 Intel are 15 Gems / 58800 Iron / 163800 Stone

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 29, 2014

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004

Pr0phecy posted:

This game blows dick now.

I don't know how much I need to write to make this a non-poo poo post, but the game went from having fun via progressing by stomping inefficient bases & pinjata-style plentiful loot Dr. Terrors, to grinding mission style player bases for minimal gains, and all Dr.Terror enemy defensive emplacements HP modified by 10x for even less resources.

What a world we live in, where games have become more tedious than work.

I'm gonna guess that SC is gonna give this a few weeks to see if they get their desired results. I can only assume they want the changes to force more pvp raids which will cause the avaliable loot to go back up to where it used to be.

It would be nice if they had staggered these changes instead of throwing 3 big economy changes at us at once.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Good? Bad? What would you change?

Edited for you babies living in the last century.

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 31, 2014

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I'd probably timg that screenshot, but that's just me.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
yeah first thing i'd do would be to stop breaking tables :negative:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
You could swap the south flamer and north sniper for added defense against warrior rushes. Otherwise it's good.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Is it just my luck or are resources from player bases worthwhile again? Or at least better?

The spawn rate (when below invasion cap) is definitely better IMO, I see NPC and PC bases refill pretty quickly, just a matter of smashing them all again.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

S.T.C.A. posted:

Is it just my luck or are resources from player bases worthwhile again? Or at least better?

The spawn rate (when below invasion cap) is definitely better IMO, I see NPC and PC bases refill pretty quickly, just a matter of smashing them all again.

I used to own just under half of the bases on my map. Since the patch that ruined the economy I now own 32/35 resource bases. I need all the scrilla I can get right now.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'm level 17, HQ level 8 (so 4 boats w/9 cap each, no smoke screen), and getting paired against level 23+ enemies and utterly unable to take bases.

Any recommendations? I'm tired of throwing my face into attacks that end up costing me 5k to recover from.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

PJOmega posted:

I'm level 17, HQ level 8 (so 4 boats w/9 cap each, no smoke screen), and getting paired against level 23+ enemies and utterly unable to take bases.

Any recommendations? I'm tired of throwing my face into attacks that end up costing me 5k to recover from.

You can skip a base after a few days. Matchmaking sucks, and you will have this problem continually.

Zila
Jun 21, 2013

PJOmega posted:

My take on this game has always been to pump offense and mostly ignore defense. You don't get shields or any way of stopping people from attacking you so there is always the possibility of getting chain raided. I like to raid for upgrades and then stop while refreshing pvp bases for good loot and clearing out the npc spawns as soon as possible for crystals and more spawns in between upgrade sessions.

I just leveled to 37 and was able to clear up to 13 on the new dr terror which got me enough to start HQ 17 and barrage 9. I regularly kill 41-44 on my map even with triple BC and SL. Maybe one of the higher level players can throw some more in.

:effort:
For an Offensive Player:

Always upgrade your HQ as soon as possible, there is no penalty for upgrading and it opens up new troops, gun boat abilities, LC/GB/armory level.

Keep your armory as high as it can be for your HQ, I prioritize artillery -> barrage -> main troop type for upgrades. Throw in shock, heal, smoke, flare if you can but once you get to 15/20 sec of flare you only really need higher for TF maps.

HQ -> armory -> gunboat -> vault -> LC (can lag behind if an upgrade wont give you 1 more troop)

Throw in storage/resource upgrades if you need something cheap to do. I usually look at the resource cost of the next HQ level and upgrade my storages to meet that.

Low level buildings are a good quick way of getting experience if you are close to leveling up to get the next HQ upgrade.

Main Troop Combinations

Rifleman Rush: Produced quickly for cheap and lets you attack while making more.
Good for taking out single target buildings. Weak vs any high damage aoe, rockets and mortars. Target rockets and then mortars with artillery/barrage and medkits for flamethrowers and machine guns.

Riflemen, Zooka, Medic (RzM): Same as above but adding more dps from zookas, just don't let a stray mcg or splash aoe pick them apart.

Heavy & Zooka (Hooka): Beefy heavies to absorb the damage while your zookas kill from behind. Weak to rockets because the heavies sit in the dead zone and they will target your zookas. You can either art/barrage the rockets or another strategy is to art/barrage boom cannons then shock the rockets when your guys start to kill them.

Heavy, Zooka, Medic (HzM): Same as above but you trade one LC for medics to give you some sustaining power.

Smokey Warrior Rush: High damage with decent hp allows them to sit on the HQ for a few seconds. This is doable when you first get warriors at lower level, just flare straight to the HQ and shock anything in your path. Really shines once you get smoke to cover your path. Flare/smoke to the HQ and medkit/shock when smoke drops for a 20 sec win or loss if you didn't plan it right. If you have decent GBE you can art/barrage to clear out defenses by the HQ to make it easier.

Tank & Medic (Tmed): Combine a heavy and a zooka to make a tank, only they get destroyed by cannons/boom cannons/boom mines so make sure you art/barrage BC first and then cannons along your way as you get more GBE. Medics are nice for helping sustain snipers/rockets/mortars because tanks kill pretty slowly. If you are decent with controlling where they go you can chain bases by not losing any tanks, but if you lose a tank you take a big hit and have to wait 30mins to an hour if you have double tank LCs.

I would suggest either hooka/HzM or Tmed as both are pretty strong if you know how to play to their strengths and target their weaknesses with artillery. There have also been some people that have gotten very high with just pure smokey warriors.

Statues:

Red:
Troop damage MP and 1 or 2 extra troop damage guardians
Troop health MP
Purple:
Gun boat damage MP and 1 or 2 extra guardians
Resource Reward MP
Power stone Chance MP
Blue:
Building health MP (can remove this at lower levels if you don't have a high sculptor)

Green:
Nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
That's a good post Zila. I'd only add don't underestimate the power of mass riflemen. The best part about them is that they are cheap and fast to replace and with good flare usage you can take stuff down pretty fast. For normal map clearing that is my most used troop comp. They tank for zookas surprisingly well also.

• Locked thread