Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I actually might be able to stream in a few hours. I really missed the actual marathon but whatever, seeing that so many people are still doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Michaellaneous posted:

I actually might be able to stream in a few hours. I really missed the actual marathon but whatever, seeing that so many people are still doing it.
The marathon can be whenever you want. A lot of people did it early, some are doing it later. Be sure to post your stream link once it's up!

My stream is about to enter into its last hour. My stalwart band of boardgame nerds has raised nearly $300, surpassing our goal of $250 (and I still have to kick in a bit more to match the SA goons who donated).

If anyone's still awake at this ungodly hour, please come by and watch. The team (minus me) is playing San Juan right now, and we'll pick something interesting to wrap it up.

Thanks to all the goons who donated!

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

So my 24-hour-long marathon just concluded. Total: $446.

The biggest contributor to that was a Terrible Game Block, where two people got involved in a bidding war to destroy my sanity. NES Gilligan's Island, Deadly Towers, and Dark Castle back to back. The human mind is not capable of coping with such trauma in a short period of time.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Come join me for the final two hours of my 26 hour journey, as I play a huge old favorite of mine, Skies of Arcadia.

http://www.twitch.tv/plainzombie

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'll be bringing it home with a fresh game of Arkham city twitch.tv/brainster31

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I'll be continuing my majora's mask blind run now.

http://www.twitch.tv/noonewouldwatchthiscrap

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
We are playing the best game of magicka ever. It's only completely crashed once so far! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10FVevyeNsLjpROJjuOE9R1Z8g6NUNrkUe23nBMeSe68/edit?pli=1#gid=0

e: twice

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

And with my final run of Pac Man Championship Edition CE DX, thats it and thats all. Next year I wanna plan better get a group together so this isn't such an ordeal. Feeling good raised 250 bucks for denver childrens.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Concluded my 24-hour stream some time ago with good old Resident Evil 2. Raised a modest 108$ which I feel is pretty good since I didn't expect anyone to donate at all.

It was actually a really fun time and I'd do it again.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

I only ended up raising $25 dollars, but hey, it's $25 more than they would've gotten!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
On Wednesday last week my motherboard's ethernet port shat itself, leaving me with no connection on my desktop until late in the day on saturday (and a tenuous one at that.) Meaning that I was unable to stream any content :(

On the bright side, though. I was able to raise $125 for Gilette Children's Hospital by social media alone.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Yesterday was great fun, streamed for ~16hours and raised $200. Time to do it all over again today. More DOS games, more X-COM, come join! http://www.twitch.tv/supsuper/

Edit: And it's over, don't have more time this weekend, but good times were had. I put a list of highlights here for those that missed it.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 26, 2014

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

By the way once it's all said and done and late donations come in the goons are gonna raise 6 grand atleast

Miker525
Jan 2, 2011
Just wanted to say I had a real good time doing this. I streamed while my streaming was working, as on top of that I raised around $230 which was more than I expected. And I'm glad to see we raised just about $6000 as a group total so good job everyone! Hope you all had fun!

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
How long will they accept donations for this drive? I really want to push over $200 but I'm trying to give everyone I know a little break before hounding them again.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Pez posted:

How long will they accept donations for this drive? I really want to push over $200 but I'm trying to give everyone I know a little break before hounding them again.

I believe till the end of the year.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
And with that we have managed to raise a frankly astonishing $500!!! We still have three hours of streaming to go but that is loving phenomenal. Big thanks to all our incredibly generous friends and family and nerds who turned up to watch our many, many technical issues and deliberate TKs. Portal 2 was a highlight, Worms was a highlight, Left4Dead2 was a highlight...if it was up to me I would describe about half the stream as a highlight. Still going (although I'm sitting out this current one as two days of junk food, not moving and caffeine has left me near puking haha) so we're at viewer's choice, might even be a couple of games. Come watch, put some money in the jar (still got some lovely origin keys to give out), help us help sick kids!

e: the counter hasn't updated but we got the acheivement for 500, I put in the balance myself, whatever it's at 500

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 27, 2014

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
The final early morning stretch was rough, but I learned that Kentucky Route Zero is even more amazing when you're so tired you're starting to nod off (and once I finally actually got to sleep my dreams were all in the style of KRZ, which was interesting.)
I had a ton of fun with this! I didn't get a ton of viewers on my stream, but enough that I felt like there was usually an audience. If I thought there might actually be more than 1 or 2 people who would watch when it was not a charitable fund-raiser, I would actually consider streaming on a semi-regular basis.

Congrats to everyone on Goons Hate Cancer for killing that $5000 goal! Good game!

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
By the end of the night i'd had enough vodka to end up just cruising around on a Garry's Mod DarkRP server using voice chat to be really polite to people while sharing incredibly long winded stories about vomit, working, and my proclivity to telling long winded stories, punctuated by singing. Ended up raising 60$, which is a lot more than I would have if I hadn't done the stream, so I consider it a success!

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Well, played a lot of local multiplayer games on stream on Saturday - stuff like Samurai Gunn, TowerFall: Ascension, Nidhogg. Also checked out Path of Exile and played through the first town in Roundabout (which is a great and incredibly charming game btw). Then did some board games Saturday night, went to bed, woke up early Sunday and played more board games all day.

Had a blast, and splitting it up into 2 days meant I actually got to play games with my friends throughout almost the whole thing instead of being the only one awake from 3 to 8 like last year.

Didn't end up reaching my goal this year, only just barely getting $500 due to some matching I did right at the end. This is actually my lowest raising year out of the 3 I've done so far, but it's cool, after I make my promised donations to team members we will have over $2k among my friends and I. I am also going to try to stream more through the end of the year and maybe I'll get a few stragglers.

BUT GOONS! GOONS! Over 5k, and that doesn't include people in here who were on their own non-SA teams! That's amazing! So proud of everyone who joined up and did their part, and all the streams sounded awesome. Next year, I don't know, I may have to do my marathon later so I can actually watch people's streams instead of play myself because it sounds like I missed out on a lot of great stuff!

Feel free to continue to use this thread for any follow-up Extra Life stuff, I know there were some people doing their marathons on later weekends so keep an eye out here for those. I don't expect this thread to stay stickied for very much longer, but if you have any upcoming marathons or events planned make sure to post so we know to check it out!

Also, if anyone is interested in helping raise awareness of Extra Life next year in their local communities, both myself and Sgoast (and possibly others) are volunteers for our respective cities, and there are plenty of other volunteer guilds out there in different cities across the US. You can check out the list of current guilds here: http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=cms.page&id=1111 I expect that next year they will expand the program again so make sure to post on the forums at http://forums.extra-life.org/ if there's no guild in your area and maybe you'll be able to get some action going!

Again, amazing work everyone, way to go!

EDIT: BTW, the total raised at the end of game day was $5,102,500.90! That's ridiculous! And it will go up further as more donations come in through the end of the year! Amazing!

sighnoceros fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 27, 2014

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

klapman posted:

By the end of the night i'd had enough vodka to end up just cruising around on a Garry's Mod DarkRP server using voice chat to be really polite to people while sharing incredibly long winded stories about vomit, working, and my proclivity to telling long winded stories, punctuated by singing.

Are there recordings of this, because I think I want to watch that.

sighnoceros posted:

EDIT: BTW, the total raised at the end of game day was $5,102,500.90! That's ridiculous! And it will go up further as more donations come in through the end of the year! Amazing!

That is...just...wow!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
24 hours, 2 loving exhausted streamers, countless wonderful people. 500 dollars to charity. I cannot loving believe it. Thank you so much.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Next year I'm definitely going to work on a better streaming method so it doesn't cut off whenever I switch PS4 games, and ideally get a better computer that can reliably play newer games and still handle streaming. On top of that, some partners. Either in-person or teaming up with some online people for games for banter (and to help keep each other awake).

On the fundraising side, I pretty much stuck to online methods since I wasn't sure how much money I could pull together, nor how seriously my friends and family would take it. With $375 for a first try, I'm definitely down for some more direct emails and calls to pull some more donations.

To officially end my Extra Life year: I lost all my save progress past like level 2 of Bad Rats because I alt-tabbed out and it crashed.

Toasta
Jan 18, 2006
All shall fade to black.
Well, I streamed from 8 AM to about 4 AM, but I couldn't make any longer at that point. Had a blast, and I'm going to get in on this way sooner next time around to raise more than $25!

The height of my stream was when my buddy and I ran through all of Doom 2 with the Brutal Doom mod. I ended the night nearly passing out while trying to survive in The Long Dark. I'll also try to stream with better internet next time, and less downtime between PC and PS4 switching. I feel really awesome to have been part of the Goons Hate Cancer team, and really glad to see how much money the event raised overall - I mean, over 5 million? drat! Amazing :unsmith:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Section 9 posted:

Are there recordings of this, because I think I want to watch that.

Yeah I had it saving locally, that part of the stream is a four hour block though so getting into it and finding the good parts could be difficult. I'll see what I can do!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Since I feel like ours was very successful (5x our initial goal hell yeah) I thought I'd type up some of my thoughts for anyone who is interested in doing it next year:

• Overprepare. We set up a google document (here, for reference) which let us do scheduling, have a quick and convenient link to the schedule, our total and the donation link. We tested more then half of the games and still spent hours getting the sound right. Every game we didn't test broke (which, honestly was pretty funny) at one point or another. Expect things to break: have backup games, methods of communicating if the stream decided it doesn't like you etc.

• Doing it alone is insane, doing it in one chunk is insane, doing one game is insane. Kudos to those who pulled it off but having a co-host, splitting it in two so we could sleep and constantly rotating the games kept us fresh. These things keep you entertained, and when you're entertained you're entertaining. It is difficult to watch a zombie staring at a screen and playing awful for twelve hours, and trust me, that's your second half if you do it all at once.

• You make the most money when you're being the most entertaining. Engage your viewers, Burnout Paradise was amazing because of audience participation, we had one amazing viewer who would use the ingame webcam capturing system to stage a series of progressively more ridiculous tableaus whenever he got taken down and every time we saw the horse head mask or action figures loving the whole stream lost it's poo poo. All comers Team Fortress was amazing, the 4 player games we booked in advance were amazing, unsuprisingly I think everyone who we invited to play put some money in without ever being asked. Donation incentives are great for this, if you can offer a chance to play live on stream and a free game for a couple of bucks people get a lot more generous. It's a hell of a lot easier on your poor brain too: this thing is for fun! Have some!

• Follow the guidelines (take 5 minutes out of every hour to stretch etc), take care of yourself, try to avoid caffeine or booze at very least until the tail end of your stream, try to eat healthy. We didn't, stuffed our faces with grease, sodium, energy drinks and booze and both of us wound up sick at one time or another. It's not entertaining to watch someone who wants to puke; don't power through it, if you're feeling sick, take a breather, go lay down. This is where a co-host really shines.

• Plug your poo poo. We tried to do the little bumper at least once an hour outlining what we were doing, what the cause was, how long we were at it ect. Put it on your social media and always try and add "if you can put money in the jar that's great, but if you can't retweet us, put it on facebook, tell your friends". A good product will find an audience, even if it's 10 people, and an audience will put money in the jar.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Thanks for that writeup. I will definitely try to come up with a more prepared thing for the goon group and make a small guide for peeps who want to do it, I'll use some of the points if that is fine with you.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Michaellaneous posted:

Thanks for that writeup. I will definitely try to come up with a more prepared thing for the goon group and make a small guide for peeps who want to do it, I'll use some of the points if that is fine with you.

Please! Only 364 days to plan for next year after all :)

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Sadly I had the 25th completely booked by other things, and when I did get to streaming I was rather exhausted.

Did end up with 40$ of donations which is more than I thought I would make. Thank you!

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Managed to raise about $405 dollars, and somehow do all 26 hours alone (though I had folks hop in and Skype with me a couple times.) I switched up games about every two hours to keep myself from falling into the trap of playing the same game and getting tired of it. Around like 2am or so I really started to feel the burn and I powered through it til I was able to get someone on Skype with me to chat around like 430am which really helped keep me going. I think I'm still catching up on lost sleep!

Overall it was a blast and I'll probably do it again next year. Now to cut the whole thing up into some individual game highlights.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My boardgaming crew made it through the 24 hours with no casualties, and we raised $520!

A few observations:

During peak times we had around a dozen viewers. However, aside from a few goons from the boardgaming thread, almost all of our donations came from friends or family. With the hundreds of Extra Life streams all going on at the same time, it's hard to get anyone who finds you through Twitch to donate.

Viewers (and donations) drop off drastically around 2:00am. I think we only got one or two donations between then and the 8am conclusion, all from people we knew. We spent most of the early morning hovering at 2-3 viewers. I know the whole marathon thing is part of the fun, but we would have raised just as much with a 16-hour event.

It's really hard to keep the action going in a tabletop gaming format. With a video game you can just swap between games and keep something going most of the time. With boardgaming, you have to break down and set up between each game, and each time we lost some viewers. I'm thinking of producing short video packages we can run between games next year.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and I feel like we did something really important. Thanks to all of the goons who watched, donated, or participated with their own streams!

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)
One suggestion for next year I'd like to make is changing the default donations values. The smallest amount in there is $15 and I think a lot of my stream viewers saw that and were just like 2expensive5me. One guy even said in stream chat "I was going to donate, but $15 is too steep for me", but after I pointed out to him that the bottom option lets you enter a custom amount, he threw in $5.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

may contain peanuts posted:

One suggestion for next year I'd like to make is changing the default donations values. The smallest amount in there is $15 and I think a lot of my stream viewers saw that and were just like 2expensive5me. One guy even said in stream chat "I was going to donate, but $15 is too steep for me", but after I pointed out to him that the bottom option lets you enter a custom amount, he threw in $5.

yes, this, i've run into this problem more often than not this year (it was my first time joining in)

move the custom donation option to the top of the page?

additionally, allow people to set their own donation amounts/perks/text on the donation page like a kickstarter sort of thing? if you introduce a system that is familiar to people (and at this point crowdfunding is probably more familiar to people than charity organization donation pages), then more donations will come in automatically

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
One of the things I think would be useful is notifications when folks donate. Unless I missed something/didn't look hard enough for a plugin of some sort, immediate feedback when getting Extra Life donations would be awesome. It can create a "I wanna make the thing go off too!" effect if you have enough viewers.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Stealthed Zombie posted:

One of the things I think would be useful is notifications when folks donate. Unless I missed something/didn't look hard enough for a plugin of some sort, immediate feedback when getting Extra Life donations would be awesome. It can create a "I wanna make the thing go off too!" effect if you have enough viewers.
They do have notifications on-site but they seem to be very delayed, dunno if it's a limitation of their system or something.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:

SupSuper posted:

They do have notifications on-site but they seem to be very delayed, dunno if it's a limitation of their system or something.

This is what I get for not looking hard enough I suppose. Oh well, there's always next year.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Well that was a blast and I'm definitely going to be volunteering my time next year.

We put in an 18 hour day, didn't get to really play much aside from several gin games at the registration table. We didn't have any goonlord shitheads, it didn't smell like I expected in the buildings, and as a budding MtG player I walked away with a few hundred free cards. We had some cosplayers from the 501st and a fuckin' full-size R2-D2 beep-boopin' around. I didn't win anything but that's okay.

All told we took in over $20,000! Our online pledging took in 14.4k, with the other 6k coming from game-day donations.

codespace
May 3, 2011

Stealthed Zombie posted:

They have a system that will send a text to the phone number of your choice as soon as you get a donation. It'd be neat if you could script something up with a Google Voice number or some such to get in-stream notifications of donation.

Also, as of right now, my friends and I raised $405, with a few more donations pending. My original goal was $200, so I really feel like this year was a huge success!

Miker525
Jan 2, 2011
I'm just curious, since I did the platinum upgrade during my 24 hour run and I just have a quick question:

I see in my donations sent area that it has platinum upgrade listed... however I don't see the platinum achievement badge nor the extra $15 added to the money raised on my page? Did my upgrade donation money go through or is there an issue somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth blob
Nov 12, 2011

puts the "ass" in classy
If I stream in a week would it be too late? I have midterms. It would make my year to even raise,15 dollars for the kids

• Locked thread