Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

adorai posted:

there are a lot of people who are simply going to be priced out of positions which pay "competitive" wages. I would rather a recruiter not waste my time if there is no way the hiring company is ever going to meet my salary requirement. Although it's probably better to turn it around, and when asked that question, ask the recruiter if there is a maximum salary the position could pay.

Edit: More or less this. I guess it's situationally dependent, but a lot of times applications have a spot to fill out requested salary. If it's too high for the area, your application will probably not get priority. If you're just getting a call from a recruiter because of a linked in profile or something, then, why would salary not be a good place to start for a recruiter, it saves time, and that's why it's on applications usually as well.

Or anyway, why not just always ask for a bit more than what the average pay is for the position at your location, which you can easily find off sites like glassdoor and stuff? Being overqualified for a position is a good way to get your application thrown out, since you're probably also going to ask for more. Sometimes less is more, tailor the resume to the job description etc?

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My other half was offered a job a few weeks back and was getting to the salary... well hourly rate negotiation and she was concerned that if she pushed for the high end she would be seen as greedy. This is exactly what employers hope for. I told her to push and she got a decent increase over even the advertised because she had experience in the area due to her internships. Push for more money, the worst they can say is no.... and then take back their job offer.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

When giving out references, at what stage of the interview process is this done? I had an employer ask for them immediately which I thought was a little brash.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

When giving out references, at what stage of the interview process is this done? I had an employer ask for them immediately which I thought was a little brash.

Eh, personally I'd say they (the employer) always dictates this, which is fine.

More often than not I'd expect them to be asked for after the initial (or only) interview, and only after they've decided that they're interested. If they're asking for them right off the bat, they're either already interested, or they just have a weird HR department that wants them ahead of time for some reason. It's a little unusual but not really anything bad, in my opinion.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
:yotj:

Two weeks starts today, finally getting out of this hellhole with my sisyphean task of trying to get software to do what a layman thinks it can do based on what he was probably lied to in a presentation back in 2002.

As a Sys. Admin with no prior coding experience.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Eh, personally I'd say they (the employer) always dictates this, which is fine.

More often than not I'd expect them to be asked for after the initial (or only) interview, and only after they've decided that they're interested. If they're asking for them right off the bat, they're either already interested, or they just have a weird HR department that wants them ahead of time for some reason. It's a little unusual but not really anything bad, in my opinion.

I was asked for references two weeks after I started working here. When I worked in QA one time, I was asked for references like 6 months in, by a complete idiot from corporate. He was like "You said you were a petty officer in the navy, how come when I asked them they said your job was an E4 huh?!?!". I spent like 12 hours back and forth on the phone with that guy getting a reference from every job in the last 7 years, I tracked down multiple people where the businesses didn't exist anymore.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Zero VGS posted:

I was asked for references two weeks after I started working here. When I worked in QA one time, I was asked for references like 6 months in, by a complete idiot from corporate. He was like "You said you were a petty officer in the navy, how come when I asked them they said your job was an E4 huh?!?!". I spent like 12 hours back and forth on the phone with that guy getting a reference from every job in the last 7 years, I tracked down multiple people where the businesses didn't exist anymore.

I listed as Petty Officer and not E4 because I knew dumbass hiring managers or idiots in HR, just like you, would think that meant Officer and not Enlisted, and would most likely make an uninformed judgement on that criteria as if it makes any real difference in the quality of work I am capable of doing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I hate references. I have only worked 3 full-time jobs, and one of them has 0 people still there while I was (student employment,) the other one is still open but my boss was a lunatic and I have no idea what type of poo poo he would say to people these days, and I'm still at my current jobs so I would prefer if you didn't call my boss and ask him about my job search.

Why am I being punished for not job hopping more?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I think I've only been asked for references once. I thought they weren't commonly needed anymore, but maybe I've just been lucky. Because seriously, keeping those up-to-date and letting people know ahead of time is a pain.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I think I have reached peak alerting fatigue. I average about 900 emails a day now of various poo poo telling me one thing hit 95% cpu or another hit 80% memory. It now goes straight to the recycle bin instead of me giving a poo poo about what any of it says.

Oh and I get them as text alerts too!

CDW posted:

:yotj:

Two weeks starts today, finally getting out of this hellhole with my sisyphean task of trying to get software to do what a layman thinks it can do based on what he was probably lied to in a presentation back in 2002.

As a Sys. Admin with no prior coding experience.

Don't worry just fake it with google coding like the rest of us!

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Windows 10 Includes a Linux-Style Package Manager Named “OneGet” :toot:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm trying to explain to my helpdesk guy that he needs to get a new job if he wants any more $. They aren't going to give him $10k out of the blue unless he brings a job offer, and he could make another 20k if he took another gig.

3 years helpdesk and light server admin work, has an associates in IT. He's pretty good but lacks the confidence to go anywhere else (Feels he's not ready) even though I explain to him a lot of these jobs are 90% dealing with other people's bullshit and 10% dealing with tech.

His wife isn't from here and wants to move, he has nothing tying him down except the owners of the company know his wife's parents, and at one point they secretly gave him like $2,000 to finish school. Pretty cheap price to pay for his lifetime loyalty.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hell yes.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

OneGet your browser search bars with one click.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

I hope to god they integrate it with SCCM so I can stop having to pay/download update packages from Shavlik.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Funny/True story: I just searched for "OneGet" in twitter and the first tweet was a pic of a giant black cock. Of course I'm at work.

Thanks to my years of experience in keyboard commands for closing windows with a swiftness I had that poo poo closed in .02 seconds.

I'm at my desk laughing my rear end off.

:ninja:

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Funny/True story: I just searched for "OneGet" in twitter and the first tweet was a pic of a giant black cock. Of course I'm at work.

Thanks to my years of experience in keyboard commands for closing windows with a swiftness I had that poo poo closed in .02 seconds.

Hahahaha.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I don't really know how that term could possibly result in that image, but then again, Internet.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I'm honestly surprised nobody's created a high-follower bot that tweets dick pics to all trending hashtags.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

I don't really know how that term could possibly result in that image, but then again, Internet.

I once image searched high rise apartment while striking out search terms until I didn't see anything but apartments on the first few pages. Ran out of results on page 52, which was only a partial page. Google tacked on a page 53 with three naked chicks just for good measure.

I honestly wonder if they do that on purpose.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Insert "package manager" joke here

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

I really don't know either but I didn't wait to figure it out before CTRL+W

Is it a bad thing that my first reaction was laughing instead of recoiling in revulsion? Has the internet damaged me this badly? Am I a broken person?

Accretionist posted:

I once image searched high rise apartment while striking out search terms until I didn't see anything but apartments on the first few pages. Ran out of results on page 52, which was only a partial page. Google tacked on a page 53 with three naked chicks just for good measure.

I honestly wonder if they do that on purpose.

Oh man I can't remember what it was exactly, but when I was looking up GIS for some hadoop reference architecture the first whole row was some pretty goddamn gruesome autopsy pics. Of course morbid curiosity dictated I visited the page. I'm talking cannibal corpse album cover reference material here. Granted, I wasn't in the office but gently caress.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I was listening to my boss talk to the weird rear end network engineer at another major campus this morning and it reaffirmed my belief that social skills and not being a loving awkward nerd are as important, if not more important, than technical knowhow.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
And the biggest challenge with being a "loving awkward nerd" is that you aren't blessed with the ability to know that you are indeed a loving awkward nerd.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm too busy for social skills :smug:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

At my work they asked if I had them ready quite promptly because it effected my security clearances. I guess that is probably the exception to the rule though.

In my job I accidentally found out a senior manager is being removed from one of my projects for basically being a bit of a political animal and annoying everyone. At the same time I feel a bit sorry for him because despite this he was the main person going 'hey guys you aren't delivery x y or z' and he's been kicked out while the people who aren't delivering have taken over

Little bit more to it than that but interesting times.

I've also been told my assistant is leaving me but she is rubbish so I'm happy and also my seconded assistant who is a lunatic and just makes the rules up as he goes will be leaving me soon

So even though I have no team above or below me at the moment I am oddly quite happy!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

psydude posted:

I was listening to my boss talk to the weird rear end network engineer at another major campus this morning and it reaffirmed my belief that social skills and not being a loving awkward nerd are as important, if not more important, than technical knowhow.
Awkward but competent nerds are why quality management is important and why small startups continually pretend introverts don't actually exist.

Dark Helmut posted:

And the biggest challenge with being a "loving awkward nerd" is that you aren't blessed with the ability to know that you are indeed a loving awkward nerd.
Most people afflicted by this are, I think, though they might not label it as such. I haven't met too many awkward nerds who are really eager to chat up random people in the cafeteria or anything. Once in awhile you run into those people who are simultaneously really nerdy, really extroverted, and really insecure, but I've found it to be a pretty uncommon combination in most of the places I've worked.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 28, 2014

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

psydude posted:

Ability gets you a job. Bullshit gets you a career.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

go3 posted:

Ability gets you a job. Bullshit gets you a career.

Bullshit is the first step to getting a job, though (getting past the automatic keyword screening).

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Misogynist posted:

Once in awhile you run into those people who are simultaneously really nerdy, really extroverted, and really insecure, but I've found it to be a pretty uncommon combination in most of the places I've worked.

Hi! :wave: I blew a college level interview by being awkward as gently caress. I actually went and read Jane Austin novels after so I'd sound like a grown up and not like I spend so much drat time on the Internet. I love you, Internet.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Docjowles posted:

Have they fixed the S3 web console yet, or is it still completely unusable if you have more than a couple dozen objects stored? But yeah, I pretty quickly moved to doing poo poo via the CLI and tools like s3cmd.

Bit slow to respond.

I don't know if they fixed it since I just dove into AWS land 4 months ago, but I will say that I currently hate the s3 web console. Granted, we have an enormous number of objects - so many that the reporting feature in the billing panel crashes and fails to generate a usage report so AWS has to generate one for us manually and email it to us.

Edit for references chat:

All references prove is that you know 3 people willing to give you a verbal handjob. Granted, that's something, but it's sure not a lot. My current employer called my old boss and one of my coworkers (who sat on either side of me) while I was at work and I got to hear them jerk me off, it was pretty funny.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
First time I have witnessed someone yelling at my work place today. Turns out an exec is upset and is canceling a "company dinner" that he scheduled. Too few people signed up. He is basically going around telling people how ungrateful they are and blah blah blah.

The funny thing is that this "company dinner" was nothing more than meeting up at this fancy steak place close by and everyone splitting the check. Turns out he is one of those assholes who will order big and drink big while wanting to split it evenly with everyone.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What kind of lovely executive can't expense a dinner

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Probably an executive that doesn't understand how to manage people - too common in IT from my experience.
Calling people ungrateful is so loving dumb I don't know how I would react to that. It's not a "company" dinner if the company is not paying the bill.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
My boss wants me to look into replacing our desktop virus protection, from TrendMicro OfficeScan to "PC Matic". I'd never heard of it before, so I did my research: they're sponsors of some shows on Fox... which is pretty much his news source.
I fear of the can of worms this will open.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Alfajor posted:

My boss wants me to look into replacing our desktop virus protection, from TrendMicro OfficeScan to "PC Matic". I'd never heard of it before, so I did my research: they're sponsors of some shows on Fox... which is pretty much his news source.
I fear of the can of worms this will open.

Part of me hopes you stop this but most of me wants to see where this rabbit hole leads

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I work for a company that produces an Anti Virus product and I have never heard of that. Which means it is probably better than what my company produces.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Got an interview tomorrow for a helpdesk support role and I'm trying to decide on questions to ask them at the end. In the past I've mostly asked about trivial things like dress code. The careers sites recommend asking about training opportunities and whether there is scope for promotion. Of course I am interested in those things, but it sounds a bit ballsy; IT training being as expensive as it is and wanting a better job before I have this one. Is it a good idea? Has anyone got any questions they think have helped them in an interview?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
For you guys that have done the SCC Vmware class, do you get the free copy of workstation still? I kinda forgot about that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

bitterandtwisted posted:

Got an interview tomorrow for a helpdesk support role and I'm trying to decide on questions to ask them at the end. In the past I've mostly asked about trivial things like dress code. The careers sites recommend asking about training opportunities and whether there is scope for promotion. Of course I am interested in those things, but it sounds a bit ballsy; IT training being as expensive as it is and wanting a better job before I have this one. Is it a good idea? Has anyone got any questions they think have helped them in an interview?

Some good ones picked from an email from The Ladders:

quote:

quote:

An interview is actually about how you can help your future boss and future employer succeed. It's about finding out what their requirements and hopes are and matching up your background and experience with what they need.

If I get the job, how do I earn a "gold star" on my performance review? What are the key accomplishments you'd like to see in this role over the next year?

What type of people are successful here? What type of people are not?

How did you get your start in this industry? Why do you stay?

What is your reward system? Is it a star system / team-oriented / equity-based / bonus-based / "attaboy!"-based? Why is that your reward system? What do you guys hope to get out of it, and what actually happens when you put it into practice? What are the positives and the negatives of your reward system? If you could change any one thing, what would it be?

How does the company / my future boss do performance reviews? How do I make the most of the performance review process to ensure that I'm doing the best I can for the company?

What is your (or my future boss') hiring philosophy? Is it "hire the attitude / teach the skills" or are you primarily looking to add people with domain expertise first and foremost?

I don't think it would hurt to ask about training. Let's them see you're interested in improving yourself.