Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
This is a loving good game, get it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Crusader: No Remorse free on Origin.

Holeeeeeeeeeeee shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit :dance:

If you never played this one, it was an isometric action game where you were a top-ranking enforcer for the megacorporation running the world who rebelled and joined the resistance. The levels are super long and detailed, with multiple paths, tons of secrets to find, and fun stuff to interact with. It was one of the first games to offer Deus Ex-style multiple solutions to obstacles. There's a wide variety of weapons, including some hilarious futureguns that incinerate or microwave people to death. Gameplay itself can be a little clunky since movement is grid-based, but once you get the hang of sidestepping and rolling you'll be rewarded with a rich and entertaining experience.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Thanks for the answers, guys. Gonna let AssCreed rest a bit and continue my Alan Wake playthrough for now.

And thanks for the heads-up on Crusader, never got to try it before, getting it for free is nice.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It only costs your soul.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hav posted:

It's like saying 'sorry' with flung poo poo.

The way I see it, you're paying full price for Hack n Slash for a free copy of Spacebase.

Fortnight 2014 was much stronger and Dear Leader could be made into a full game on the cheap. Unfortunately Spacebase has probably soured the experience.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

hideki kamiya of platinum games posted a picture of his visit to valve a couple of days ago. some people are assuming that means scalebound is coming to pc, but given the recent sega announcements i have a feeling it might be related to porting vanquish and bayonetta to pc instead, which would be nice

somebody should beg sega to port jet set radio future to steam while they're at it. i thought the hd remake of jet set radio was fairly successful so it seems weird they haven't bothered to port future. i don't think microsoft would try to block it

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I try not to speculate on developers taking pictures with someone. You should see the metal gear thread.

They tend to speculate alot when Kojima takes a picture with someone. :v:

Buuuuuuuut I wouldn't mind if this means a port of Vanquish and Bayo.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Organs posted:

hideki kamiya of platinum games posted a picture of his visit to valve a couple of days ago. some people are assuming that means scalebound is coming to pc, but given the recent sega announcements i have a feeling it might be related to porting vanquish and bayonetta to pc instead, which would be nice

Anarchy reigns is not a great game but I'd love to play it on PC if only to experience mutiplayer (for 2 months tops).

Scalebound is going to be on PC anyway, Microsoft can't hold on their exclusives and probably don't care much about them past the initial release.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Tippis posted:

I tried that for a while when I did for my replay. Granted, what you can do will depend on what kind of drivers you're using, but it worked surprisingly well: setting various macros such as L2+DPad to send the “cycle lasers/shields/whatever” key strokes. I ended up using joystick+kb, though, because the analogue sticks on my DS3 were a bit too fidgety to allow the precision needed for some weapons (lock-on missiles most notably) and because I had a hard time giving distinct axis input (rolling when I wanted adjust throttle and vice versa). The latter is perhaps more on me and my meat hands, though.

A '50-'70s cold-war, slow and methodical stale-beer type spy game would own. So there. :colbert:

I can't think of many games set in the '60s or '70s at all. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one AAA Vietnam War game, and it's a multiplayer shooter. I think WW2 gets mined because you can write it as a very simplistic good vs. evil scenario, which doesn't require much subtlety or thought. An anti-war Vietnam War game could be really good. Something along the lines of Spec Ops: The Line, but less of a psychological thriller.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not seeing the resemblance. Hot, though.

He's got the same jaw and nose/eyes area.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

lordfrikk posted:

fake edit: I swear he looks like Jim Carrey's long lost brother in the photo here :psyduck:

Looks more like Colin Farrel to me.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

il serpente cosmico posted:

I can't think of many games set in the '60s or '70s at all. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one AAA Vietnam War game, and it's a multiplayer shooter. I think WW2 gets mined because you can write it as a very simplistic good vs. evil scenario, which doesn't require much subtlety or thought. An anti-war Vietnam War game could be really good. Something along the lines of Spec Ops: The Line, but less of a psychological thriller.

The No One Lives Forever games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

COD: Black Ops.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Who could forget about the classic That 70's Game?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Wolfenstein: The New Order is set in 1960 :colbert:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Organs posted:

scalebound

Well I watched the trailer and it was certainly something. Hoping for Bayonetta and Vanquish, though, since I never got to play that.

In other news, Lucas Pope of the Papers Please fame is making a new game that was announced a while ago called Return of the Obra Dinn. He released a downloadable demo that can be downloaded from his web.

You might remember this GIF that was posted in the original thread on TIGSource when the game was announced:

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 28, 2014

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Humerus posted:

Wolfenstein: The New Order is set in 1960 :colbert:

Indeed it is, but it's still ultimately a WW2 game pitting good against evil magical nazis

Joshlemagne posted:

Which aren't currently available on digital distribution platforms :(

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

God drat am I glad I didn't preorder Civilization: Beyond Earth, judging by the demo this could've very easily just been an expansion pack for Civ5.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Deakul posted:

God drat am I glad I didn't preorder Civilization: Beyond Earth, judging by the demo this could've very easily just been an expansion pack for Civ5.

I would think for $20 bucks this would be a perfect game.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'm pretty sure Ride to Hell: Retribution is set sometime in one of those two decades.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

It's also the last historical war in which you can say that the USA won in any meaningful sense. Which is not coincidentally where the vast majority of WW2-themed video games are being produced.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

I'd love a Dead Presidents type setting, personally

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is set in the 60's shortly after the Cuban Missile Crisis. While the direct sequel Peace Walker is set in the early 70's.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Joshlemagne posted:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

COD: Black Ops.

…and GTA London. :haw:
The one that immediately came to mind for me was MGS3, which is why my thoughts were lead to the idea of a spy game. The “problem” (as in: “not what I'm asking for”) with all of those is that they're a bit too action-oriented. I was suddenly stuck with a longing for something more like Le Carré or Ludlum or even some early Clancy-based japery.

It would probably have to be more slanted towards the adventure type of game, though, which means the AAA publishers wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. I can't really think of another genre that would fit the… well… genre. :(

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I've never played it, but The Warriors?

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

interstate '76 was really cool

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Deakul posted:

Beyond Earth leaves me with a lot of buyer's remorse. Terribly designed and balanced and lacks any sort of character. Unless expansions fundamentally change a lot of how the game works to the extent that it becomes nearly unrecognizable, just stick with Civ 5 + expansions.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Tippis posted:

It would probably have to be more slanted towards the adventure type of game, though, which means the AAA publishers wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. I can't really think of another genre that would fit the… well… genre. :(
It's early WW1, not Cold War, but Valiant Hearts is an adventure game and supposedly really good. Tragic and definitely not jingoistic; the game ends right as the US enters the war.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Actually, come to think of it, the Hitman and (early) Splinter Cell games could probably work as a foundation for that kind of game. Add in some Bladerunner-style evidence gathering and analysis (and randomised guilty parties) and it would hit the spot.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October :spooky:

Challenge Games
1. Alien: Isolation
2. Year Walk
3. Deadlight
4. Adventures of Shuggy
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
7. Infected: The Twin Vaccine - Collector's Edition
8. How to Survive
9. 1953 - KGB Unleashed
10. Burn Zombie Burn!
11. Home
12. Huntsman: The Orphanage (Halloween Edition)
13. Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
14. Scarygirl
15. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
16. Closure
17. Alien Breed 2: Assault
18. F.E.A.R. Online
19. Ghostship Aftermath
20. Hell Yeah!
21. Eldritch
22. The Path
23. Shadowgrounds: Survivor
24. Ghost Master
25. Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut
26. Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Bonus Games
A. Painkiller: Black Edition
B. The Void
C. Shadowgrounds
D. Haunted Memories
E. Serena
F. The Forgotten Ones
G. Blood
H. Shadows: Price For Our Sins
I. Anodyne
J. Vlad the Impaler
K. Doorways: Chapters 1 & 2
L. The House

-----------------

27. Paranormal State: Poison Spring

Let's get something out of the way right now. Can you deal with seeing this face every 60 seconds or so?

Because if you can't, turn around and walk away. If you can, you'll be rewarded with one of the most polished hidden object games I've ever seen.

I hear this is based on some TV show on A&E that I've never seen because our waxen-faced hero there won't shut the gently caress up about it for the first 5 minutes of gameplay. He's the leader of some rag-tag Scooby gang that goes around and uses their dad's spare electronics to pretend ghosts exist. Some poo poo's going down in a state park built on an old Civil War battleground and you get to help them suss it out.

Aside from the fearless leader and the contrived-as-hell plot, this is a very solid game. The graphics are clear and detailed, which you would think would be a regular priority in games where you have to find things. It really does make a huge difference in the item searches, which are a small step backwards from Infected in that you have to find some really obtuse, nonsensical items like shadows and symbols. They're still quite fun and seem easier than in similar games. The puzzles have also been great so far, clearly explained and easy to get the hang of, but still provide a decent challenge. The detail extends to the environments you navigate, with lots of things to examine and learn more about the park from. There are even some hidden objects scattered around the map to find just for fun. I think this one makes a perfect entry-level hidden object game for people new to the genre, and is polished and fun enough for veterans as well. Thumbs up.

Seriously though, he makes that kind of face through the entire game.
Thanks Cowman

28. Evil Pumpkin: The Lost Halloween

The incorrigible Fart of Presto gifted me this one because he was so indignant it wasn't on my list. It is without question the Halloweeniest game I've written up this month, but as a hidden object game it was unfortunately a huge step back from the others I've played.

The thing about it, though, is that it's not really posed as a hidden object game. It has three difficulties that actually change what gameplay is emphasized. On the lowest difficulty the game is set up more as a hidden object hunt, with key items highlighted for you. On the higher two it plays more as a point-and-click adventure game, with you scouring each scene for things to interact with and combine to progress. It occupies a weird in-between place that honestly I don't think needed to be inhabited at all.

You play a little boy stuck in his room on the eve of Halloween. You nicked some Halloween book from your dad, and a magical owl encourages you to uncover its secrets. It's a pretty weird plot that's only made weirder by the Tim Burtony house you explore and the bizarre translations that the store page tries to pass off as kooky. I would be totally okay with that if the game was easier to get through, but it can be VERY difficult at times to figure out what you're supposed to be doing. For example, once you get the book from your hiding place there's no indication what you're supposed to do with it. You have to take it over to your desk and use it on the desk to open it up, despite nothing on the desk hinting at that. In fact, clicking on your bed gives you a bunch of messages about reading THAT SPECIFIC BOOK in bed, which led to a couple frustrating minutes of me trying to figure out how to get the book into my bed.

There's no map in the game either, so I wasted a couple more minutes clicking on everything in sight because I had no idea I could move to another area by mousing over the space just above my inventory. It seems obvious in hindsight but Evil Pumpkin often has little indication you can move on to other areas, especially since the scenes are pretty crowded. In the hour I played I didn't end up making much progress at all despite using hints, and the only puzzle I encountered was a damnable sliding block deal. Evil Pumpkin is a weird little alternative take on hidden object games, but with the amateurish design only hardcore pixel hunters need apply.

I'm down to 4 games left (since Evil Pumpkin came outta nowhere), and I'm going to try to get them all done by Wednesday night so the reviews will be in before the sale starts on Thursday. In the meantime, Swing and I were talking about some of the other games he's streamed and it gave me enough material for another :spooky: BONUS ROUND :spooky:

M. Depths of Fear :: Knossos

Man. The more I think about this one, the sadder I get. Seriously, it's a first-person hack-and-slash Roguelike set in a procedurally-generated labyrinth where you do battle with beasts from Greek mythology. You can collect gold to unlock weapons, books to unlock magical powers, and parts of the environment are destructible i.e. you can burn lots of poo poo. Doesn't that sound amazing? Well, I bet it would be if it were made by a talented dev team. Unfortunately, what you get here is muddy graphics, garbage stealth mechanics (which are at times seemingly necessary), and poorly-balanced enemies. It controls like a Quake mod and you can tear around at lightspeed, but the enemies can too and they will form a train on your rear end. Swing was doing pretty well speedrunning levels until he ran into the gryffons, which were faster than him and murdered him in two hits. There is so much potential here, but it's just not the game to realize it. Sigh.

N. White Noise Online

Someone looked at Slender and said "You know what, this needs to be co-op". White Noise lets you team up with 3 other friends to find a bunch of cassette tapes left in spooky places that could end the world or something. Too bad for you, some horrible thing that never moves yet is always where you don't want it to be is menacing you as you hunt. The co-op mechanic adds an interesting strategy mechanic to the game at the cost of horror. Looking at the monster drains your health or sanity or whatever, and the closer you are the faster it drains. But as long as one person is looking at it the thing can't move, freeing the other players to find the McGuffins you need to win. Coordinating with your team is actually necessary because if you don't manage the beast it can end up right in your way. The different characters you can choose have different stats, though it's not very clear what those stats do. My favorite feature was the map at the end of a round, which shows you where you've all wandered, where you encountered the monster, and where you found cassettes. It's a neat idea, but the graphics are plain, the novelty runs out fast, and at the end of the day it's still an indie walking sim.

Imagine my surprise when I learned that these developers went on to make the supposedly-awesome Ziggurat.

O. Eleusis

This was an interesting one. You end up in a little Greek village looking for your family, but the place is deserted and evil is afoot. The map is almost completely open, allowing you to explore a detailed village, nearby ruins, and the surrounding environs freely. The graphics are solid and the atmosphere is plenty spooky, but this one falls apart in two ways. The first isn't really a dealbreaker, but the tension in the game comes from the enemies which will find you periodically and chase you. They are always faster than you, and the only way you can escape is to find rocks and huck them at your foes to give yourself the time to hide. It doesn't work very well in practice and gets tedious REALLY fast, especially with all the walking you have to do in this game. However, you can turn the enemies off and play this one just as a pure adventure game, which is nice. The second issue and the one that sinks it is that some of the puzzles require you to a crazy amount of backtracking and pixel hunting, and with all the space in this game to hunt it's practically a crime. One of the first puzzles in the game can take forever if you don't happen to spot the right thing immediately, and one of the last puzzles is borderline impossible without a walkthrough. It's a real shame because this one does so much right, but in the end the frustrations really win out over the atmosphere.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 28, 2014

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Deakul posted:

Total Conversion of Civ 5 Vanilla.

Expansion implies "more content" and this felt like a huge step backwards. It's ... meh. :effort:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Malek posted:

Total Conversion of Civ 5 Vanilla.

Expansion implies "more content" and this felt like a huge step backwards. It's ... meh. :effort:

This just reminds me that Fall From Heaven probably did more to shake up the Civ formula/framework than this full-priced product.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Drifter posted:

Depends how high your tolerance for clicking trade routes is :negative:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bioshock Infinite is the midweek madness this week so everyone be sure to have your hot take opinions ready. Into the trenches!!!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Quest For Glory II posted:

Bioshock Infinite is the midweek madness this week so everyone be sure to have your hot take opinions ready. Into the trenches!!!

Bioshock infinite was a decent game with clunky shooting and sweet environments.

Orv
May 4, 2011
For which seven fiddy is a perfectly reasonable asking price.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Drifter posted:

This, except for Borderlands The Presequel (which probably should've started off as 40$ game).

On the topic of Borderlands, TPS's tweaks to the loot and scaling gave me a few ideas on how to make BL2 more enjoyable. I recently had a small run-through of Borderlands 2, setting the game to spawn only legendary weapons.

And it was a fantastic time. Gearing with the 80ish BL2 legendaries reduces issues with enemy bullet-sponginess while increasing the tactical combat options.

I think for a Borderlands 3, the devs can afford to shrink the loot 'rainbow' down and make special weapons more accessible. Having 100 truly unique weapons to manage is better than giving players a billion shades of strictly worse versions of those 100 weapons.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tezzeract posted:

This, except for Borderlands The Presequel (which probably should've started off as 40$ game).

On the topic of Borderlands, TPS's tweaks to the loot and scaling gave me a few ideas on how to make BL2 more enjoyable. I recently had a small run-through of Borderlands 2, setting the game to spawn only legendary weapons.

And it was a fantastic time. Gearing with the 80ish BL2 legendaries reduces issues with enemy bullet-sponginess while increasing the tactical combat options.

I think for a Borderlands 3, the devs can afford to shrink the loot 'rainbow' down and make special weapons more accessible. Having 100 truly unique weapons to manage is better than giving players a billion shades of strictly worse versions of those 100 weapons.

For Borderlands 3 I'm half-expecting them to throw out the current system in favour of weapon crafting and upgrading, something like the one in Dead Space 3.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The whole point of Borderlands is to be a Diablo-style collectathon with FPS gameplay. I'm not seeing them change that formula without very good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Transformers Fall of Cybertron seems to be $3 on the Russian Steam store, any Russian Goons wanna help me out? I got Paypal at the ready.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/deakul/home/

edit: Nevermind, nabbed it for cheap through TF2 key selling.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 28, 2014

• Locked thread