Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Rime posted:

Wut? SLI breaks* VR and Oculus warns against it.

*adds a single frame of latency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Nvidia's fancy new graphics rendering technology:

Grass

1 million blades of interactive, physically simulated computer grass. Adds an additional 1 millisecond to the render time of a frame on a GeForce 680.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLVa0NOFdwM

DirectX 11 feature, coming sometime next year.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Factory Factory posted:

Grass

1 million blades of interactive, physically simulated computer grass. Adds an additional 1 millisecond to the render time of a frame on a GeForce 680.

Just what I need to complete my lawn mower man VR game, no relation to the movie by the same name also about VR.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Factory Factory posted:

Grass

I hope someone mods this into Skyrim :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

r0ck0 posted:

Just what I need to complete my lawn mower man VR game, no relation to the movie by the same name also about VR.
The way its meant to be mowed.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
I managed to pick up a Zotac GTX 980 Amp Omega which is pretty fortunate because none of these cards seem to be in stock anywhere in western Canada.

Anyway, the cooler on this card is seriously one of the quietest coolers I've ever heard. Even at full blast it's barely audible.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

Grass

Why was my immediate thought "Flying Toaster X.0"

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
No joke, I can think of a number of times when I've thought games would be cool with interactive grass like that. But it is also a little bit silly for a multibillion dollar corporation to be doing intensive real-time simulation of astroturf.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That G10 Kraken bracket everyone likes to talk about seems to be on sale on TD for $10 after rebate and $15 on amazon. Details on this slickdeals link:
https://slickdeals.net/f/7291042-nzxt-g10-aftermarket-gpu-cooling-bracket-10-after-10-rebate-free-shipping?v=1

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Factory Factory posted:

No joke, I can think of a number of times when I've thought games would be cool with interactive grass like that. But it is also a little bit silly for a multibillion dollar corporation to be doing intensive real-time simulation of astroturf.

I think it's loving amazing, in high school we rendered a single frame of a football field for a project on 3ds max and it took hours on a fast machine, and now it takes a millisecond to make a field of grass and also to simulate the physics to make it interactive. The math must be insane on this. I love it

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Factory Factory posted:

Grass

People may joke about this, but I for one think this is truly amazing.

Grass rendering, and foliage rendering in general (with the exception maybe of "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter"), is still pretty poor in many games.

I mod the Stalker series, and recently using the source code I enabled it so the grass can cast shadows. Even though it's large clumps of very poorly detailed grass, the shadows cast by them only at a range of 20m causes a massive performance drop (around 33% performance drop).
The idea of being able to have massive field of grass that cast and receive shadow, and that you can even interact with, is highly appealing to me.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Swartz posted:

People may joke about this, but I for one think this is truly amazing.

Grass rendering, and foliage rendering in general (with the exception maybe of "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter"), is still pretty poor in many games.

I mod the Stalker series, and recently using the source code I enabled it so the grass can cast shadows. Even though it's large clumps of very poorly detailed grass, the shadows cast by them only at a range of 20m causes a massive performance drop (around 33% performance drop).
The idea of being able to have massive field of grass that cast and receive shadow, and that you can even interact with, is highly appealing to me.

The next Elder Scrolls would look fantastic with grass like this and foliage to match.

Now if they could only hire some decent artists for the bodies and faces...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

The system is almost certainly applicable to hair and fur as well.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

The system is almost certainly applicable to hair and fur as well.

Next generation of yiffing simulators incoming.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Hopefully this is a more appropriate thread than where I first posted.

I have more dollars than sense. Is this a good card to buy as a dedicated PhysX PPU? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130867&cm_re=evga_gt_640-_-14-130-867-_-Product

I want something that will fit in a single slot (tiny mATX case) and not consume a bunch of power while being able to handle PhysX in the one or two modern games that use it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Hopefully this is a more appropriate thread than where I first posted.

I have more dollars than sense. Is this a good card to buy as a dedicated PhysX PPU? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130867&cm_re=evga_gt_640-_-14-130-867-_-Product

I want something that will fit in a single slot (tiny mATX case) and not consume a bunch of power while being able to handle PhysX in the one or two modern games that use it.

I would suggest using a gtx750.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
So how badly does an GTX 970 get bottlenecked by a Phenom II x4 965?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ragingsheep posted:

My HD 7850 started performing a lot better, especially in Far Cry 3, when I switched up to an i5 4670K from a Phenom X4 B60 that was overclocked.

So quite a bit, I'm guessing

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Rexxed posted:

That G10 Kraken bracket everyone likes to talk about seems to be on sale on TD for $10 after rebate and $15 on amazon. Details on this slickdeals link:
https://slickdeals.net/f/7291042-nzxt-g10-aftermarket-gpu-cooling-bracket-10-after-10-rebate-free-shipping?v=1

Well hell, I'll buy that for all of $10. Worst case: It doesn't fit on my 680 inside a Prodigy and I stow it until the next video card. Best case: I get a satisfying build quality increase on my lovely dremeled-down bracket and its spliced-wire fan. And I bet I can flip that bracket for $5 profit regardless.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

The Lord Bude posted:

I would suggest using a gtx750.

Oh ok. Will 512 CUDA cores make that much a difference over 384 in today's PhysX games?

Also, having trouble finding GTX 750s that are single-slot and don't have a huge heatsink/fan that makes it practically double-slot (I sadly have almost zero clearance between my second PCIe slot and the PSU; hooray funny case designs)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Oh ok. Will 512 CUDA cores make that much a difference over 384 in today's PhysX games?

Also, having trouble finding GTX 750s that are single-slot and don't have a huge heatsink/fan that makes it practically double-slot (I sadly have almost zero clearance between my second PCIe slot and the PSU; hooray funny case designs)

Try this one, even though it still isn't technically 'single slot' - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127836

And you could try finding this: http://www.techpowerup.com/206212/galaxy-intros-single-slot-geforce-gtx-750-ti-razor-graphics-card.html

Someone also found out that you could buy an old 6600GT (working or non-working) from eBay and slap it on a 750 or 750Ti, but that's a *small* HSF.

There are also single-slot Gainward 750s on eBay, but Gainward no longer has a US support network.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 28, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Ugh. Double post - meant to edit the previous one.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

PSA, the MSI 980 just came into stock on Amazon. Nabbed one as soon as I saw it. Almost justified two to myself but it would've put me into the range of having to pay import fees at customs :shobon:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BurritoJustice posted:

PSA, the MSI 980 just came into stock on Amazon. Nabbed one as soon as I saw it. Almost justified two to myself but it would've put me into the range of having to pay import fees at customs :shobon:

Didn't you just buy a 970 or something?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Try this one, even though it still isn't technically 'single slot' - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127836

And you could try finding this: http://www.techpowerup.com/206212/galaxy-intros-single-slot-geforce-gtx-750-ti-razor-graphics-card.html

Someone also found out that you could buy an old 6600GT (working or non-working) from eBay and slap it on a 750 or 750Ti, but that's a *small* HSF.

There are also single-slot Gainward 750s on eBay, but Gainward no longer has a US support network.

Thanks! I'll take another look at exactly how much clearance I have in my case. Maybe something like that MSI could work.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Didn't you just buy a 970 or something?

My last buy was a 780ti that I returned :v:

I almost bought ZeroVGS' 970's, but shipping ended up being exorbitant compared to Amazon so it actually worked out as more expensive than PCCG. (Thanks anyway for your time Zero).

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I like special unique cards. You had the GTX 560, then the awesome (at the time) 560 ti, but there was also a sweet 560 ti 448 core version that was on par with the 570. I wonder if they're gonna do something like that again.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ragingsheep posted:

I'm on a Phenom II X6 1045 which technically has more cores but since most games don't utilize more than 2-3 effectively my 2.7GHz clock speed should make it worse on average. There are certainly times where the lack of CPU grunt shows (Kerbal mostly) but in general it's not a problem.

I'm certainly not upgrading the graphics any further without going to an Intel CPU and I would recommend the same for you, but while a 970 is probably a bit overkill for our processors it's not so much so that I feel like I'm leaving GPU power on the table. I can still easily max out the GPU on any modern game by turning settings up.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Rime posted:

Wut? SLI breaks VR and Oculus warns against it.

Currently it does yes, but it is supposed to eventually take advantage of the new VR SLI features the 900 series is trying to introduce.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Knifegrab posted:

Currently it does yes, but it is supposed to eventually take advantage of the new VR SLI features the 900 series is trying to introduce.

It's usually a really bad idea to buy a product based on future support that should be coming but has not been released into the wild yet.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
I've got the ASUS 970 on the way and have a question about my monitor setup. I currently have two normal 1080p monitors and have a 1080p G-Sync one on the way to go with the new card. If I plug all three of them into the 970 will it work, and does it need a specific adapter combination? Right now I plan on using DisplayPort for the G-Sync, DVI for one of the normal monitors, and HDMI through a splitter for the second one + my TV.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
That should work just fine. I'm currently running basically the same configuration minus the splitter. G-Sync capable (though not equipped) 1080p on displayport, 2x 1050p on DVI. Single link DVI and HDMI without audio in use are basically the exact same thing from the video card's perspective so that difference shouldn't matter.

You could even ditch the splitter and treat the TV as a fourth independent monitor, but if you actually use both mirrored at the same time it might be better to keep things as they are.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Alienware/Dell is releasing an external GPU enclosure that will work with new Alienware laptops! http://www.anandtech.com/show/8653/alienware-graphics-amplifier

It's proprietary as gently caress, but still this is pretty cool!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Making it proprietary was a very stupid decision.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I also like the only cpu/gpu config is a dual core i5 + an 860M. That's a solid combo in it's own right, but wouldn't it make sense for a i7 + IGP SKU?

e: Also are there really any options are than a proprietary solution? The easy answer is Thunderbolt, but apparently Intel doesn't want to validate that for external GPU use.

Hace fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 28, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Animal posted:

Making it proprietary was a very stupid decision.

What standard connector is available that pumps out USB, reverse-direction DisplayPort, PCIe, and is (probably) faster than Thunderbolt?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

What standard connector is available that pumps out USB, reverse-direction DisplayPort, PCIe, and is (probably) faster than Thunderbolt?

Thunderbolt 2 should be fast enough. People have been hacking solutions like this for a while now.

-edit- read post above. Shame Intel does not want to validate it. Thats also dumb.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Twerk from Home posted:

It's usually a really bad idea to buy a product based on future support that should be coming but has not been released into the wild yet.

Which is why I only have one 970 and if they keep their promise of good vr sli I am going to buy another.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Just got my Gigabyte 970 Windforce with the factory overclock and ran Furmark benchmark (6479) wow it is a lot quieter than I thought it would be under full load. I had to get right next to the computer to hear it. Temps were stable at 71 C with fan going 72%. Would recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I need some help. One of the fans on my GTX 760 died so I ordered a new GPU cooler since the card is fine. I bought the Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo 3 since it has pretty good reviews and I thought it would be a simple swap. Obviously, it isn't. The instructions for installation are really bad and I can't comprehend them at all. On top of that, when I was searching around for an installation video or guide, many reviews had the nebulous claim of not needing some of the parts. Should I just send this back and get a different one or can someone help me figure out how to install this thing?