Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinde
Mar 19, 2009
1/60 Gelgoog is essentially done!

Front view. The seam gaps are pretty visible here, but I'm not too bothered by it. I might go back and paint the kit later, so I'll fix it then.

Side profile.

Rear view. I had to paint the shield-- it was in one green piece.

The monoeye now lights up, thanks to the LED that replaces the bulb the kit re-release did not include. Also, the monoeye moves!

It actually looks pretty menacing with the LED on.

The torso can actually turn! It's actually because, when putting the final kit together, you twist the torso sideways onto some alignment slots to "lock" it in-place-- it catches when you allow the kit to face forward. Think of it like a CD spindle cover, except it can move 360 degrees. It allows the builder to access the battery panel inside the torso.

Another action shot.

Overall, I like the 1/60 Gelgoog MUCH more than the 1/100 Zaku I of the same vintage. It's much more articulate-- you can actually make the legs do some cool things. The head articulation is not as limited, and the arms are pretty free-moving. I think I'm done with the retro kits for a while, though-- it'll be nice to get back into snap-fit ones. Haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Presenting: Hi-Nu Ver. Ka!

I haven't finished the funnels and do need to clean up a few more parts, but this is my first time painting a kit. Took about...two weeks due to random delays but I had fun...!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Yosuke posted:

Presenting: Hi-Nu Ver. Ka!

I haven't finished the funnels and do need to clean up a few more parts, but this is my first time painting a kit. Took about...two weeks due to random delays but I had fun...!

That's a drat fine paint job, one of the only complaints a friend of mine has with the Hi Nu is the color. More importantly, why is poor Mazinger faceplanting in the background?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TARDISman posted:

That's a drat fine paint job, one of the only complaints a friend of mine has with the Hi Nu is the color. More importantly, why is poor Mazinger faceplanting in the background?
From the wings, I'd guess that's probably actually Mazinkaizer... which was, IIRC, actually invented for Super Robot Wars, then imported into canon later! :eng101:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

From the wings, I'd guess that's probably actually Mazinkaizer... which was, IIRC, actually invented for Super Robot Wars, then imported into canon later! :eng101:

Nah, Mazinkaiser has more crazy rear end details to it, that's regular Mazinger with a God Scrander.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

TARDISman posted:

He fell over before I took the photo. Was moving some stuff around since crappy light and my workstation for building was a foldable table. He's back on his feet now though :). And it's actually the original Mazinger Z release, I don't own the Shin version.

And yeah, I didn't mind the Hi-Nu's original color scheme but...I really like the original Nu's more.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Wait, then why are his limbs black? Didn't the original SRC Mazinger Z come with blue limbs?

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
I'm...going to blame phone photo + not really lit that well. They really are blue, haha.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

TaurusOxford posted:

Wait, then why are his limbs black? Didn't the original SRC Mazinger Z come with blue limbs?

The original did. The Shin Mazinger Z did not, though.

Though not sure why you'd opt for the jet-scrander over the GOD SCRANDER. I'm just going to assume it's just a lighting thing. It's a pretty dark blue on the legs and arms.

My poor original SRC Mazinger can barely stand anymore. I'm impressed it holds its pose so well still.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Found the time to finish painting the rest of the main body's psychoframe. So assembly can finally begin!

The holographic finish didn't really show up on top of the metallic green, but if you look closely there's a bunch of glittery sparkles. And that's fine enough for me.

The backpack was an easy mod; I glued one of the beam magnum's backpack connectors into the middle of this subarm then shoved it in. I can't get it out now since it's such a tight fit, but I'm not too broken up about that. I just hope it can support the weight of the two Armed Armor DEs as is, because I'd like to keep this level of articulation.

Also there is a bunch of paint on the back of the v-fin I still need to scratch off.

Totally Gouf
Oct 28, 2014
I present baby's first build: 1/144th 129 Geara Zulu (angelo sauper use) "Pretty Zulu":

custom paint job, used phone decals to kawaiify it up.

I plan on adding a lot more rhinestones like the awful gyaru I am.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
some of the cooler zoids are getting a rerelease

on amiami now

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I really want to get the Liger Zero that Koto put out but I know I'd end up getting the Jaeger and Panzer kits too and then buying an extra and the Schneider armor kit to make that one.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Literally The Worst posted:

I really want to get the Liger Zero that Koto put out but I know I'd end up getting the Jaeger and Panzer kits too and then buying an extra and the Schneider armor kit to make that one.

just buy the schnieder all in one kit, you dont need to buy multiple zeros

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Mecha Gojira posted:

The original did. The Shin Mazinger Z did not, though.

Though not sure why you'd opt for the jet-scrander over the GOD SCRANDER. I'm just going to assume it's just a lighting thing. It's a pretty dark blue on the legs and arms.

My poor original SRC Mazinger can barely stand anymore. I'm impressed it holds its pose so well still.

Yeah, that's kind of why mine fell over. Bit by bit he's been kind of trying to do the Smooth Criminal lean, and he just gave out. And as for why I have the Jet Scrander, well, this is the first release with the derpy foam rock. And at the time of Shin's announcement, I didn't have the funds.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Fauxtool posted:

some of the cooler zoids are getting a rerelease

on amiami now

I bought far too many zoids before koto made them 10x more awesome... That gunsniper is just so over the top and ridiculous. I love it. It's utterly obscene what my local Hobbyco want for one

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A new Metal Build will be announced at the end of the month. Can't wait for another $250+ beauty I'll look at pictures of but never buy.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Holy christ I need that Gunsniper

Too bad I'm still waiting on my Hi-Nu HWS and a Geno-Breaker and I'm thinking about ordering a Berserk Fury and...

gently caress. I have enough of the old toy kits stored away somewhere. BUT THESE ONES ARE SO MUCH BETTER.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fauxtool posted:

just buy the schnieder all in one kit, you dont need to buy multiple zeros

Link me it, because I can't find it anywhere for less than my firstborn child and my immortal soul.'

edit HLJ has it listed as discontinued.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
My Abigor just showed up a good two weeks early.

It's a good thing I worked today, or I wouldn't have even realized it'd come in. It looks like it'll be a pretty simple build, but it should be perfect for what I'm wanting and it doesn't look like it's going to be significantly worse than the HG Endless Waltz kits.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 28, 2014

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I ordered an MG Rick Dom because it's apparently tough to find - $52 on Amazon because Gundam Planet's outta stock.

Gonna be a while before it gets here... might as well start on the next big backlog item.

600 pieces, what seems like 20 sprues...

:ohdear:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MJP posted:

I ordered an MG Rick Dom because it's apparently tough to find - $52 on Amazon because Gundam Planet's outta stock.

Gonna be a while before it gets here... might as well start on the next big backlog item.

600 pieces, what seems like 20 sprues...

:ohdear:

Take progress pics. Very interested.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Never really done progress photos, but will try. I'm just doing a straight build with a few pieces Alclad metallized - just the toe spikes and pistons - to stand out a bit.

For those who're interested, the far more screen-accurate gray version is getting a re-release: http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYKP-221/Sci

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Totally Gouf posted:

I present baby's first build: 1/144th 129 Geara Zulu (angelo sauper use) "Pretty Zulu":

custom paint job, used phone decals to kawaiify it up.

I plan on adding a lot more rhinestones like the awful gyaru I am.

Adorable

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Anyone have an example of the effect you get from mixing Future with paint? I keep hearing about it but I can't find any specific examples.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MJP posted:

Never really done progress photos, but will try. I'm just doing a straight build with a few pieces Alclad metallized - just the toe spikes and pistons - to stand out a bit.

For those who're interested, the far more screen-accurate gray version is getting a re-release: http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYKP-221/Sci

Yeah I want to pick the kit up I just want to get an idea of how complex it is. And in progress pics are always interesting.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
My dumb plastic robots, sorry for the phone camera quality.

Kampfer Amazing + Gafran wings + Hyper Mega Launcher (System Weapon 008)

Gafran - wings/claw hands/headflaps + generic hands + two gatling guns (HG Customize Campaign B & F)

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Finally done! Probably...not going to touch this for a long time now! But I feel as if the end result was worth it!

Yosuke fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 29, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Literally The Worst posted:

Link me it, because I can't find it anywhere for less than my firstborn child and my immortal soul.'

edit HLJ has it listed as discontinued.

http://www.amazon.com/72-Scale-ZOIDS-Schneider-Construction/dp/B004NYB5YO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414542964&sr=8-1&keywords=zero+schneider
US prices

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-1841926.html
5500 jpy in stock now, probably $15 to ship

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 29, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Man, when I asked about the Abigor I gotta say that you made me really nervous when you replied with this. Just comparing the runners the Abigor seems leagues better. It's got the same flaw as the Endless Waltz HGs (the leg seams are obvious and straight down the front and back), and the knees are a single joint so they won't have great mobility, but just the runners alone look worlds better than the monstrosity you posted.

It probably helps that it came in a normal-sized box, and that the design is simple enough that they didn't feel compelled to try anything crazy with it.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Don't diss the sprue-fighter Gundam. In a pinch, it can regrow parts of itself on the runners, like a starfish.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man I kind of wish I left my 1/144 V2 like that. Sure it was hell to transport, but it was funny.

Also today I learned the Unicorn's beam javelins also count as Armed Armors, so that's why the FA Plan B has one. I'm thinking I'll throw in the vanilla FA's shield mounts so I can have quasi-wings of light.

...If the backpack can even support that much weight.

Also, boxart.

:geno:

EDIT: Ahaha it's basically the same pose as the original MG.

EDIT 2: V :argh:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 29, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Man I kind of wish I left my 1/144 V2 like that. Sure it was hell to transport, but it was funny.

Also today I learned the Unicorn's beam javelins also count as Armed Armors, so that's why the FA Plan B has one. I'm thinking I'll throw in the vanilla FA's shield mounts so I can have quasi-wings of light.

...If the backpack can even support that much weight.

Also, boxart.

:geno:

I'm pretty sure that's almost identical to the last Blue Frame MG box art, just with the sword changed a bit. Which, to my understanding is pretty much the difference here, right?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I still don't get why this is even getting a general release. It's literally MG Blue Frame 2nd L with the runners for the Aile Striker and like a runner or two for all the blades. It practically screams web exclusive. I'd have assumed it's a similar situation to the Strike Rouge Ootori where they straight up didn't have a MG for the month and had to upgrade a web exclusive instead but they were just fine skipping April, May, June, July, September, and October so :psyduck:.

Then again this year also gave us MG Phenex so who even knows.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I still think the force silloute would look 10x better on ... that... thing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Supposed leaks from the PG Unicorn manual posted:

-The Unicorn's panels slide when it transforms, but there are some panels that are currently unused in its transformation, which suggest that it has another, third, form.

What so is the third form "literally all of the panel lines open up"?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm watching ZZ for the first time and just saw the Jamru Fin. The only kit of it looks to be ancient pre-HG stuff. It runs around $40.

Is it worth even bothering if all I want is to have it in its default flight-lookin' mode?

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Explosion into component bits?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Suzaku posted:

Explosion into component bits?

Yes, and the kit has the special feature of doing this transformation automatically.

In other news GBFT showed a MG Quin Mantha, gently caress you GBFT, that's just mean. :arghfist::saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

It'd be pretty funny if the "third mode" was the thing from the end of episode 7.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yes, and the kit has the special feature of doing this transformation automatically.

In other news GBFT showed a MG Quin Mantha, gently caress you GBFT, that's just mean. :arghfist::saddowns:

They live in a future where plastic's strong enough to support the binders.

• Locked thread