Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mo_Steel posted:

Got sent here from the suggestions thread, so if I'm understanding the process right to grab the Nerd Plan:

1. I buy a phone from T-Mobile: Thinking the Google Nexus 5.
2. When it arrives, I activate it through the phone online and select the $35 plan?

The plan is $30 a month, not $35. Also, the general recommendation is the Moto X first ten is selling for cheap ($225-250) on eBay and elsewhere, so I would look into that. The N5 is nice, but the X is pretty much equal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

The plan is $30 a month, not $35. Also, the general recommendation is the Moto X first ten is selling for cheap ($225-250) on eBay and elsewhere, so I would look into that. The N5 is nice, but the X is pretty much equal.

I'll take a look, thanks. Saving an extra hundred dollars sounds like a good deal on top of paying less than my current Sprint plan for a better plan.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Burden posted:

$30 nerd plan - 5 gigs of data and 100 minutes. 10 cents a minute if you go over. Lasts for 30 days as well. Not available in T-Mobile Stores, only available online or at Walmart and only for new customers Must have activation kit to use the nerd plan. This activation code is available via T-Mobile online or Wal-Mart (Costs $40 because it includes 30 days usage). Do not use Chrome to sign up for the nerd plan.

Unlimited texts? No texts? What's up with texts

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Unlimited texts? No texts? What's up with texts

Texts are unlimited on the $30/5GB plan.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Answer will probably be no, but if I bought a phone on EBay whose IMEI is reported lost on T-Mobile's IMEI checker, is there any hope they will remove it from the block list now?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

Answer will probably be no, but if I bought a phone on EBay whose IMEI is reported lost on T-Mobile's IMEI checker, is there any hope they will remove it from the block list now?

Only if the person who reported it lost reports it found and ok.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
The nerd plan is no longer for anti-social nerds who don't talk. With hangouts finally integrating with google voice you can make unlimited calls using only data. Hallelujah

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
I just got a new iPad Air 2 and set it up on the 200 MB "Free Data for Life" plan, but noticed that they're also offering 5 GB for 5 months for $10 — if I add that "day/week pass" to my account, does it go back to being the 200 MB plan once that's done? I called customer support and the guy initially said no, but then he put me on hold and said yes. Which one is it :confused:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So I finally got internet sharing on my Lumia 920 to not suck and work on LTE (instead of being forced to only use 4G or mucking around with settings and changing modes to convince it to tether on LTE which didn't always work) only to hit a pay wall stating that my plan doesn't support internet sharing even though I'm on the the unlimited data plan with 3GB of internet sharing. When I proceed through the pay wall, it even shows the correct plan I'm on but it seems to want me to upgrade to the 5GB sharing plan. I don't want to precede any further unless I'm sure my plan doesn't get altered.

I don't have another phone on hand at the moment that can do internet sharing to see if the issue is worth the phone or T-Mobile. Granted I've never used internet sharing on any other phones and I've had a feeling that the 920 hasn't been implementing internet sharing correctly since I've only been able to use it on 4G and there were discrepancies in how much data was shared between what T-Mobile and my phone we're reporting. I guess I have to go to a T-Mobile store or call customer service to clear it up.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Is anyone here using a Z3C on the T-Mobile network? I'm under the impression it only lacks the capability to use a very specific small set of LTE bands that are only planned to have a very limited rollout.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Insane Totoro posted:

Is anyone here using a Z3C on the T-Mobile network? I'm under the impression it only lacks the capability to use a very specific small set of LTE bands that are only planned to have a very limited rollout.

Tmobile uses LTE bands 2, 4, and 12. Z3C only appears to support bands 2 and 4 (and others, but that doesn't matter if you're on tmo). The lack of 12 isn't the biggest deal, it's only in new areas, and some other Tmo LTE phones don't have it either. Band 4 is the biggest concern, which it does have.

This is such a huge mess, and no one should be expected to follow all this.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
What if I was sixty years old and shopping for phones? :ohdear:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Insane Totoro posted:

You probably wouldn't import a Z3C in that case.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Insane Totoro posted:

You buy the flip phone with the loudest earpiece.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I meant more that with arthritis in the hands (in my mom's case) a giant phone is a severe liability.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
What are the current thoughts on good prepaid devices for the nerd plan?

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

Any phone your heart desires.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Nexus 5 of course.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

A device that supports Tmo HSPA and LTE bands. Most unlocked AT&T and imported devices won't cover enough.

Either get something from Tmo, or do your homework (ask here) for specific models. Moto's and Nexus phones are a good bet.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Civil posted:

A device that supports Tmo HSPA and LTE bands. Most unlocked AT&T and imported devices won't cover enough.

Either get something from Tmo, or do your homework (ask here) for specific models. Moto's and Nexus phones are a good bet.

I was looking at the Moto G/X series, though I've heard conflicting things about LTE support. I don't mind a phone with relatively low storage as long as I can plug an SD card into it (which the lower-storage Moto phones have.) How about the Samsung Galaxy Avant?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

I was looking at the Moto G/X series, though I've heard conflicting things about LTE support. I don't mind a phone with relatively low storage as long as I can plug an SD card into it (which the lower-storage Moto phones have.) How about the Samsung Galaxy Avant?

The Moto G (regular) works, the Moto G LTE works (and has SD), the Moto X XT1053 works well on Tmo, the XT1058 (AT&T variant) is missing a HSPA band it needs for areas where there is no LTE.

The Tmo Avant works, but get the Moto G LTE instead - it's a better device, and cheaper.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Civil posted:

The Moto G (regular) works, the Moto G LTE works (and has SD), the Moto X XT1053 works well on Tmo, the XT1058 (AT&T variant) is missing a HSPA band it needs for areas where there is no LTE.

The Tmo Avant works, but get the Moto G LTE instead - it's a better device, and cheaper.

The only downside to Moto devices are the lack of wifi calling. I barely get 1 bar at home indoors on my Moto G LTE, but I remedied this with Gravitybox's smart radio which switches it to 2G when connected to wifi, where I do get 4 bars.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

hope and vaseline posted:

The only downside to Moto devices are the lack of wifi calling. I barely get 1 bar at home indoors on my Moto G LTE, but I remedied this with Gravitybox's smart radio which switches it to 2G when connected to wifi, where I do get 4 bars.

That is fine, that feature has been a bust for me on my other phone - I can't receive MMS, and I've been told from others that there's a lot of noise/garbling when it's on.

Should I be worried about the lack of band 12 support?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

That is fine, that feature has been a bust for me on my other phone - I can't receive MMS, and I've been told from others that there's a lot of noise/garbling when it's on.

Should I be worried about the lack of band 12 support?

Not unless you plan to keep your phone for more than 2-3 years. Band 12 hasn't launched yet and even most devices currently sold by T-Mobile themselves EDIT: DON'T support it. Without it you may get spottier rural coverage and worse indoor reception compared to devices that do have it (when it rolls out) but not any worse than what you would currently experience.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 30, 2014

Kevii
Oct 29, 2014
Anyone switch over from AT&T and have problems with the ETF?

AT&T never added "Termination fee" to my bill, so T-mobile can't pay me back for it. Ive been trying to call to get them to change it, but alas I might just have to use a magic stick to add it in .

Anyone have a similar problem ?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
FWIW I didn't have any trouble with sending in my AT&T bills and getting them paid, they're not specifically labelled ETF or anything but the $250 thing sticks out on the bill like a sore spot.

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'
Are there any prevailing opinions on TMo wifi calling that came with iOS 8 on iPhones? Is it worth just leaving the setting on, or only something that should be turned on if you really, truly have no cell signal in areas where you do have wifi?

I ask as I have decent LTE coverage at home and work, so it's not critical, but it may prove useful when I'm not one of those places but still have wifi.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

IanCaw posted:

Are there any prevailing opinions on TMo wifi calling that came with iOS 8 on iPhones? Is it worth just leaving the setting on, or only something that should be turned on if you really, truly have no cell signal in areas where you do have wifi?

I ask as I have decent LTE coverage at home and work, so it's not critical, but it may prove useful when I'm not one of those places but still have wifi.

It works really well and I haven't noticed a battery hit from leaving it on.

The only downside is that you can't use Call Handoff, but I'll sacrifice that to always have signal while I'm at work.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Just got this in the mail today:

On the front it says: WE'RE UPGRADING YOUR RATE PLAN

What I currently have is:

Can they really downgrade me? My biggest concern is the unlimited nationwide 4g. I'm trying to contact tmobile through chat support but their inconveniently unavailable due to it being busy.

edit: Chat support will never be available, so I called. They said instead of me having $50 unlimited talk & text and $20 unlimited 4g, I'll be put on $70 simple choice plan that includes unlimited talk, text, and 4g data. Won't hold my breath for Tmobile to keep their word, but I'll be a real rear end in a top hat to them if they don't follow through after all the poo poo they put me through in the past.

ijii fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 31, 2014

BrandonLakeTruck
Jan 10, 2004
dog poster its a hell of a ride
I want to add a line to my parents' family plan but the checkout page is really confusing me. They pay $80 a month for the simple choice plan which supposedly covers their 2 lines for unlimited talk and text and then they pay whatever for data and jump. I assumed I could add a 3rd line to this plan for $10 to get included in the unlimited talk/text portion, $10 for 3gb of data, and then whatever my EIP amount will be. When I get to the checkout page it says the monthly charges will be $137.08 and the top line item is $80 per month for unlimited talk/text. I just want to make sure I'm choosing the right options because if I'm not, I can't figure out where I'm going wrong with this website.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
You are. When the account is classified as a family plan, it changes the charges in the system to 80 + 10(x) + features.

BrandonLakeTruck
Jan 10, 2004
dog poster its a hell of a ride
Thanks, I put in an order the other day. Looks like it will be up to 6 weeks before my new phone arrives though. I hope their estimates are exaggerated.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
I'm having an absurd problem with my htc one (m8) for tmobile that seems to have bricked the phone. Last night, I received a notification that a new update was available. I didn't read through any of the text of the update description, but I'm assuming it was this one. The update started installing, but about halfway through the progress bar the icon changed into a phone with a red triangle with an exclamation point in it.

Holding down the power button would not do anything. After holding down the power and volume, the phone went black and then went into the startup screen that says HTC with the "powered by android" text below. It will not go beyond this screen. Holding volume down and power makes the screen go black briefly followed by a return to this screen. I left the phone off the charger to drain the battery to force a restart, and after charging and turning it on the same thing happened. My phone is stock, the bootloader is locked, unrooted, etc. It is also now useless, unless someone knows a way to fix this. I've had 6 months of completely error free use until this.

Also, I bought this phone used, does that mean it's not under warranty and I'm going to have to pay to fix it?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
You can get software restore packages from htc now, I'd try that. It's the 1.5 gb manual installer at the bottom.

http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-m8-t-mobile/news/

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
Does anyone know if you can easily switch from a Simple Choice plan to the $30 5GB monthly? I'm probably going to be picking up a Moto X and rarely use "phones" for talk, so it seems like the best direction.

Currently on the lowest Simple Choice plan and the only option listed is "$40 Unlimited Talk & Text with 500mb data"... and the one I'm currently on.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
You can't switch to the $30 plan it's for new customers only. You can get it with a different number, Port your old number somewhere else and then port it back into tmo on your $30 plan however.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Yeah the easiest way is probably to port to Google Voice for $20 (or whatever it costs these days) then port back.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Will an AT&T Moto X work fine on T-Mobile in the NYC area? I've read some stuff about it not working on the older LTE network but I'm not sure how widespread that is.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Where do you get this $30 plan at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
So from my research my Verizon iPhone 5 won't work on LTE but will on regular 4g. Is the speed difference worth selling my 5 and picking up a Tmobile compatible used phone?