Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The IT manager is the only one who's "allowed" to do anything with telecom, and he's very territorial. But he's out this week, and someone needed to redirect an extension in a phone tree, so I fixed it. Everyone's telling me how I'm going to get yelled at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

internet jerk posted:

There are some truly awesome highly competent HR people out there. Unfortunately they seem to be few and far.

Most of the HR people I've been exposed to were not sadists, they were apathetic incompetents. Except for a benefits coordinator who knew her poo poo and would bend over backwards to make sure you got signed up for everything you wanted/needed, even if you hosed something up or missed deadlines. She was awesome.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Field tech calls in after replacing a switch, still down. Since it's always layer 1, I ask him to hook his laptop to the back-haul to see if he gets link, he says he doesn't know which one that is, I ask "you moved the ports in order right? the uplink would be the one plugged into..." he cuts me off and says that no he didn't do a 1 for 1 swap because a 48 port switch was sent instead of a 24 (because obviously you can't fit 24 cables in ports 1-24 of a 48 port switch). Apparently it never occurred to the guy that maybe just maybe it might be kind of loving important that the cables went where our documentation says they do so he didn't know which of the 24 cables was the uplink. I then said fine, go to the head end switch and find port blah blah test that port and tone out the line that was connected to it. "um I don't have a toner"

Are you loving kidding me? What the gently caress kind of field tech doesn't have a loving tone generator and induction amplifier? That's right up there with a punch tool, snips and a screw driver as far as basic cabling tools go.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

internet jerk posted:

There are some truly awesome highly competent HR people out there. Unfortunately they seem to be few and far.

Tell me about it.

Modern HR is a complex discipline involving multitudes of laws, judgements and best practice to make sure that the organization gets the best out of its people and is covered against legal claims.

The problem is it doesn't require formal qualifications to enter and people still think its the business equivalent of nursing so are not prepared for the grim realty of making sure people don't do anything illegal and that they sack people correctly.

Half the HR people i come into contact with i wouldn't trust to tell the time correctly.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Tell me about it.

Modern HR is a complex discipline involving multitudes of laws, judgements and best practice to make sure that the organization gets the best out of its people and is covered against legal claims.

The problem is it doesn't require formal qualifications to enter and people still think its the business equivalent of nursing so are not prepared for the grim realty of making sure people don't do anything illegal and that they sack people correctly.

Half the HR people i come into contact with i wouldn't trust to tell the time correctly.

You say that as if nursing were a simple field that didn't require qualifications.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Exit Strategy posted:

"Issues inside our internal service structure are covered, as are some user-space issues. User-headspace issues are outside the scope of [company] support, and as such are billed at a competitive rate. Please assemble a list of qualified psychiatric providers in your area for a cost evaluation so that we can present you with the budget for maintaining the delusions of your users."

I've always wanted to see if I could slip a quote for retrophrenology for users into a budget estimate.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Goddamnit, tomorrow is going to be such a shitshow.

The director is on the warpath for a mole in the company and wants to pull up evidence about who has been accessing any remote services, I spent a good half hour explaining how passwords work and how they are cycled on a monthly basis but he still wouldn't have it. Ultimately he wanted remote services revoked from everyone but himself, and to force a password reset across the board; mobile phone users are going to be loving thrilled. :jerkbag:

There is no IT department, just me and external support; we aren't equipped with the tools to pull off all of this investigation poo poo at the drop of the hat every time someone gets paranoid, as nobody wants to pony up and drags their feet for buying the relevant software to enable this.

Maybe tomorrow I'll follow up the interview I had on Monday...

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Super Slash posted:

Maybe tomorrow I'll follow up the interview I had on Monday...

Mole spotted. :tinfoil:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
People keep removing distribution groups from emails and it's killing my soul, but this might be the worst one yet.

I had my distro on the email, but someone removed it and only put the 3 people they felt it was relevant to. The distro is 10 people, this is not a lot of people, and even if they're not working this specific issue I want them informed. So I replied, removed each individual name, and replaced it again with my distro.

Another department's manager replied with just "Adding Chris" - gently caress dude he works for me, he is in the distro, my god, stop the nonsense. This is like a slightly less annoying version of the company wide reply all "please remove me from this email" situation.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

^^That reminds me^^

poo poo that pisses me off; people who put read receipt requests on emails sent to distribution lists. Seriously there are 100 people on that distro you really want read receipts from everyone of them?

Oh and the brilliant folks in our software department have decided *AGAIN* that Thursday night is the perfect day to roll out an update, because that's worked out so well every other time they've done it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

poo poo pissing me off - Symantecs Live Update Server, if the server it is on runs out of disk space during anything it tries to do anything (download or push out definitions) it will decide to no longer push out AV updates, but it will happily tell you that it works fine. This is also a problem because 15 or whatever the gently caress years ago that this server got installed it was installed with 120GB of space (don't ask about the small size it's a loving nightmare and we can't expand it at all). Now I get to waste a day tomorrow uninstalling/reinstalling this poo poo since that's the only way to fix it.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 30, 2014

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
Sweet Christ, a client asking us if we fixed something like we promised is not at all the same as a client telling us that they tested something and it's still broken. This thing rolled down through two product managers, through my manager, until I've got the senior guy on my team telling me that poo poo's broke and I'm getting the ticket reopened on me.

I checked in production - the poo poo is not broke. Why am I the first person in line who's looking at the original email and comparing what the client actually said to what I'm being told the situation is? Why does engineering at this company get absolutely no benefit of the doubt when product sees anything that they think looks like client dissatisfaction?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Pissing me off: I kind of like Powershell after messing with it for a week

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skex posted:

Oh and the brilliant folks in our software department have decided *AGAIN* that Thursday night is the perfect day to roll out an update, because that's worked out so well every other time they've done it.

But that way you have all of Friday to fix it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

poo poo pissing me off: Teamcity could totally easily handle super automatic easy don't-think-about-it dev-branched builds...if we would just move from Mercurial to Git. :negative:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ursine Asylum posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Teamcity could totally easily handle super automatic easy don't-think-about-it dev-branched builds...if we would just move from Mercurial to Git. :negative:

Mercurial supports pretty much the same branching as git. What gives?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Pudgygiant posted:

Pissing me off: I kind of like Powershell after messing with it for a week

Join ussss.......

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

evol262 posted:

Mercurial supports pretty much the same branching as git. What gives?

Mercurial's inability to do "light" branches (especially on some of our older hosts, which don't even support Mercurial's more-recent "hide branches you don't want anymore") means that having "username_branch" typically involves trying to merge up 6 months of changes since the last time you hosed with that branch. Because of this, the general go-to solution for all projects using Mercurial is "fork everything", which Teamcity doesn't handle nearly as well without a lot of custom build parameter fuckery.

e: and related, I've been loving with this build that needs to be deployed tomorrow for the last three hours because some jackass changed about 80 different parameters for some personal build poo poo and hosed it all to hell.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 30, 2014

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

stubblyhead posted:

Join ussss.......

My heart is sad every time I stop and think about what I could do in powershell if I had the proper privileges.

We're using sourcesafe instead of something fancy like git and automagically scripting off my sql scripts instead of manually click click click in SSMS would be beautiful.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

For the past two years I have been serving part of my job as an uncompensated email monkey for another employee. Back when I started there were three of us watching a shared email box and grabbing the incoming issues based on what the ticket was about. Fast forward to today and the activity for this email box has greatly died down. Now there is only one person handling 99% of the issues that come through that email, but for some reason this joker won't add it to his watched inboxes, so I have to forward every email that comes in to his address directly. This wouldn't be so bad, but then instead of writing the client back himself he just replies back with a "tell them this:" message, so that I'm the one that inevitably handles all communication with anyone and ends up getting called or emailed for issues when I haven't worked with the product in a long time.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Manslaughter posted:

For the past two years I have been serving part of my job as an uncompensated email monkey for another employee. Back when I started there were three of us watching a shared email box and grabbing the incoming issues based on what the ticket was about. Fast forward to today and the activity for this email box has greatly died down. Now there is only one person handling 99% of the issues that come through that email, but for some reason this joker won't add it to his watched inboxes, so I have to forward every email that comes in to his address directly. This wouldn't be so bad, but then instead of writing the client back himself he just replies back with a "tell them this:" message, so that I'm the one that inevitably handles all communication with anyone and ends up getting called or emailed for issues when I haven't worked with the product in a long time.

Stop doing that.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Manslaughter posted:

Knock it off?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Manslaughter posted:

Take some responsibility for your own life.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

Why on earth would you do that? Stop that at once!

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

I hear that they can install spines at any hospital, these days.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I doubt he can afford it.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

Add "Reply To: <client>" to your email headers.

Bonus if you can hide it.

Double bonus if you can automate the whole process.

Ultra-supreme bonus if you just hit him with a folding chair and tell him to do his own loving job.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Manslaughter posted:

Hi Jerk,

I have some great news, you're not going to have to deal with the encumbrance of working through a middle-man for handling the issues I've been forwarding you anymore. Please subscribe to this email box by following the process below as I will no longer be monitoring it myself. This will allow you to work directly with clients, saving you time and effort.

http://link/to/documentation

Thanks,
Manslaughter

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Manslaughter posted:

You've been doing this for two years without so much as setting up an auto-forward rule on this mailbox to force your coworker to deal with the email himself. You must enjoy being the sub in the D/S relationship you've got going on there. That's cool and all, but most people don't make that side of them into a significant part of their job.

If you don't secretly enjoy it, grow a loving backbone.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Stuff that pisses me off

CALEA

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Pissing me off today: Chromebooks and Cloud print. I've got the printer properly set up and owned by my user account but I cant see a way to give an entire OU the ability to print to it...only individual users. The members of this OU change at a very rapid pace and I'll be damned if I'm going to be adding/removing them one at a time. Called Google and waited on hold for 15 minutes before I gave up and opened a ticket with them. It's been about 16 hours now and still no response.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Skex posted:

Stuff that pisses me off

CALEA

Boy.
loving.
Howdy.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
poo poo pissing me off:

Marketing bought a new domain name.

Two years ago.

They've been using it to redirect to a specific page on the website.

We were never told, and are now expected to manage the entire process.

poo poo pissing me off even more:

They used loving godaddy.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

poo poo that pisses me off: Voting for an "adult-only" Halloween party this year, and being outvoted by the people with small children.

poo poo that doesn't piss me off: The Halloween party that I'm skipping is lined up with the Giant's victory parade. Last time this happened, traffic was at a standstill 20+ miles up 101. Guess who's working from home :unsmigghh:

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

"We have an issue that nobody has been able to figure out, so now we're giving it to you!"

:negative:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Spazz posted:

"We have an issue that nobody has been able to figure out, so now we're giving it to you!"

I get those.

I generally like those.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Those are great as long as you're also given enough time to properly investigate and sort out the issue.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Spazz posted:

WHY ARE YOUR METRICS GOING DOWN? :rant:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Spazz posted:

"Good, I am going to go and try to fix it and if anyone disturbs me I will feed them to the whumpus"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

BigPaddy posted:

"Good, I am going to go and try to fix it and if anyone disturbs me I will feed them to the whumpus"

That's pretty much it. I'm DND on Lync, offline on hipchat, and my headphones are on. Good news is we just had a second case of this issue happening to another client, so I do have more data to work with for the RCA.