Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fremry posted:

Thanks, I was leaning towards that because I think I played some of Harmony of Dissonance when it came out all those years ago, but I didn't realize it was that good.

Aria is really good. It's at least as good as SotN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

Aria is really good. It's at least as good as SotN.

Which is one of my all time favorite games.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Harmony is good too, a little easy but it's very much SotN-lite, lot of the same aspects to it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Harmony of Dissonance gets kinda crap reviews all around but I honestly didn't mind it that much. I played through it and enjoyed it but I forget almost everything about it.

Aria is just really drat good.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Fremry posted:

For people who have played them, which would you consider better, Aria of Sorrow or Harmony of Dissonance?

Flip a coin... and then use it to buy both.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kaubocks posted:

Aria of Sorrow is straight up one of the best Castlevania games period.

Aria is really Goddamn good and one of the few reasons I'm still holding on to my GBA SP (nevermind I haven't touched it in over a year). Imagine they re-made Symphony of the Night, but without the inefficiencies and hiccups that came from not completely knowing the formula.

zenintrude posted:

Sam's Club near me put it on sale... $19, but still better than nothing!

But my digital future...:negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We don't even get Aria here, but I'm just wondering.. how does it compare to Dawn of Sorrow? That's my favourite Castlevania by far (even more so than SotN) and that's the sequel so I'd probably love it, right?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA dudes, a Shantae patch just went live, it fixes some game-breaking bugs related to the travel brochure.

While I'm here, reviews for Stealth Inc. 2 are going up - they're mostly very positive, aside from Eurogamer who thought it was too hard, basically.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I prefer Dawn of Sorrow because the weapon damage system is more refined. At the end of Aria you just get the Claimh Solais and school everything because it fills like 1/3 of the screen and attacks really quickly. The soul farming for some of the weapon upgrades is bullshit although it does reward playing NG+ so you can have Death Scythe and Death's soul along with Valmanway and Abaddon's soul.

Also the red minotaur soul in Aria is bullshit.

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 30, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo revealed plans at their latest investors' briefing to allow for pre-downloads on Wii U and 3DS, starting this year with Smash on Wii U, and next year on 3DS.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo revealed plans at their latest investors' briefing to allow for pre-downloads on Wii U and 3DS, starting this year with Smash on Wii U, and next year on 3DS.
Good on them! I wonder if we'll catch any other interesting tidbits from the meeting. We actually have some idea what the QoL device is, now, too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

NA dudes, the Resident Evil games are on sale again:

Resident Evil Revelations (Wii U) -$15.99
Resident Evil Revelations - $8.99
Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D - $7.99

How's the Wii U version of Revelations?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nice! A little weird that this comes just after they set up a different pre-order system though (where you get emailed a code at midnight).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Goddammit that's good. Just need to know what size Smash is.

Using a flash drive to store games on the Wii U is fine, right? like, it risks not working 'suddenly' but usually lasts a really long time and I could do backups of save data on the console, right?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Flash drives aren't really meant for constant reading and writing but I've been using one for a year and no problems yet. You can also copy and back up most saves.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Using a flash drive to store games on the Wii U is fine, right? like, it risks not working 'suddenly' but usually lasts a really long time and I could do backups of save data on the console, right?
There was a guy in the WiiU thread melting down a few days ago because apparently the WiiU bricked his flash drive. So while you probably can use one, but I wouldn't recommend it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Wii U seems to really want an external-powered hard drive, or at least one with that Y-splitter taking up two USB ports if you can spare them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of October 30):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Stealth Inc. 2 - €13.99 / £12.99
    Falling Skies: The Game - €39.99 / £34.99
    Jett Tailfin - €19.99 / £17.99
    Tetrobot and Co. - €9.99 / £7.99
    Cosmophony - €3.99 / £3.59
    Color Zen (demo)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (SNES, US ver.) - €7.99 / £5.49
    Devil World (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - 800 Points / €7.99 / £5.49
    Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES) - 800 Points / €7.99 / £5.49
    Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (SNES) - 800 Points / €7.99 / £5.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Own DKC1, 2 or 3 (Wii U VC), get DKC: Tropical Freeze for 33% off! - runs until November 6
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £6.99 until November 3
    Master Reboot (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £4.99 until November 6
    Zen Pinball 2 (Wii U eShop) - Walking Dead/Dr. Strange tables €1.49 / £1.19 until November 3

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL World Duel Carnival - €19.99 / £17.99 (permanent price reduction)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 - €19.99 / £17.99
    Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX - €5.00 / £4.50
    Arc Style Baseball 3D - €1.99 / £1.79
    Color Zen (demo)
3DS MENU THEMES
    Halloween: Spooky Black Link - €1.99 / £1.79
    Animal Crossing New Leaf: Isabelle in the Town Hall - €1.99 / £1.79
    Animal Crossing New Leaf: Mable Able - €1.99 / £1.79
    Animal Crossing New Leaf: Sable Able - €1.99 / £1.79
    Animal Crossing New Leaf: Timmy & Tommy - €1.99 / £1.79
    Animal Crossing New Leaf: Colourful Pattern - €1.99 / £1.79
    Animal Crossing New Leaf: Bulletin Board - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Donkey Kong Land III (Game Boy) - €3.99 / £3.59
    Gargoyle's Quest 2: The Demon Darkness (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Own DK Land 1, 2 or 3 (Wii U VC), get DKC Returns 3D for 33% off! - runs until November 6
    Swords & Soldiers 3D (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until November 20

NA update (week of October 30):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Spongebob Squarepants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge - $?
    Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark - $?
    Wipeout: Create and Crash - $?
WII U eSHOP
    Stealth Inc. 2 - $14.99
    Costume Quest 2 - $14.99
    Falling Skies: The Game - $39.99
    Tetrobot & Co. - $3.99
    Rock Zombie - $6.99
    Cosmophony - $3.99
    Pixel Paint - $3.99
    Color Zen (demo)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland (GBA) - $7.99
    Demon's Crest (SNES) - $7.99
    Gargoyle's Quest 2: The Demon Darkness (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - $9.99 until November 3
    Resident Evil Revelations (Wii U) = $15.99 until November 4
    Master Reboot (Wii U eShop) - $6.99 until November 5
    Shut the Box (Wii U eShop) - $0.69 until November 13
    Blok Drop U (Wii U eShop) - $0.99 until November 27

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley (November 4) - $39.99
    Duck Dynasty - $29.99
    Spongebob Squarepants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge - $?
    Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark - $?
    Wipeout: Create and Crash - $?
    Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 - $4.99 (October 31, permanent price reduction)
    Hotel Transylvania - $4.99 (October 31, permanent price reduction)
    Legend of OZ: Dorothy's Return - $4.99 (October 31, permanent price reduction)
3DS eSHOP
    Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX - $6.00
    Woah Dave! - $4.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Gargoyle's Quest 2: The Demon Darkness (NES) - $4.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Azure Striker Gunvolt, get Mighty Gunvolt for free! (3DS eShop) - available until November 28
    Code of Princess (3DS) - $14.99 until November 3
    Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (3DS) - $24.99 until November 3
    Etrian Odyssey 4 (3DS) - $14.99 until November 3
    Etrian Odyssey Untold (3DS) - $14.99 until November 3
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS) - $19.99 until November 3
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS) - $14.99 until November 3
    Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers (3DS) - $14.99 until November 3
    Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D (3DS) - $7.99 until November 4
    Resident Evil Revelations (3DS) - $8.99 until November 4
    Quell Reflect (3DS eShop) - $2.79 until November 6
    Disney Frozen: Olaf's Quest (3DS) - $19.99 until November 17
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    3D Classics Kid Icarus (3DS eShop) - 200 Coins, available until November 16
    Brain Age Express: Math (DSiWare) - 200 Coins, available until November 16
    Donkey Kong '94 (3DS VC) - 150 Coins, available until November 16
    Kersploosh! (3DS eShop) - 150 Coins, available until November 16
    Kirby's Dream Course (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until November 16
    Maboshi's Arcade (WiiWare) - 250 Coins, available until November 16
    Wrecking Crew (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until November 16
    Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II (Wii VC) - WO0 Coins, available until November 16

DUCK DYNASTY

Costume Quest won't have off-tv play, in case that's a dealbreaker for anyone.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 30, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Huh, so I guess that "Costume Quest 2 coming exclusively to Playstation consoles first" meant all of two days. Also Kirby! :toot:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So someone explain time how amazing these Demon Quest games are and why I should get them. Ghosts and Goblins is basically an unplayable nightmare to me even with save states, I assume these are completely different?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Aria is really Goddamn good and one of the few reasons I'm still holding on to my GBA SP (nevermind I haven't touched it in over a year). Imagine they re-made Symphony of the Night, but without the inefficiencies and hiccups that came from not completely knowing the formula.

Thanks everyone for the Aria of Sorrow input. I bought it last night when my girlfriend started watching a movie, and next thing I knew the movie was over and I was still deeply engrossed in Aria of Sorrow.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World and New Super Mario Bros U were all around 2GB, I don't expect it to be huge.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fremry posted:

Thanks everyone for the Aria of Sorrow input. I bought it last night when my girlfriend started watching a movie, and next thing I knew the movie was over and I was still deeply engrossed in Aria of Sorrow.

If Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World and New Super Mario Bros U were all around 2GB, I don't expect it to be huge.

Did those have 500+ songs though? I wouldn't doubt that the music alone would take a third of the filesize.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

Did those have 500+ songs though? I wouldn't doubt that the music alone would take a third of the filesize.

Good call. I completely forgot about that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

So someone explain time how amazing these Demon Quest games are and why I should get them. Ghosts and Goblins is basically an unplayable nightmare to me even with save states, I assume these are completely different?

Yeah, they're action-adventure games where you play as the Red Armerrer. the little devil guy from GnG that everyone dies to the first hundred times they play. They're reasonably challenging but nowhere near as tough as a real GnG game, and most of Demon's Crest is actually quite easy.

A legit Demon's Crest cart costs a lot of money these days, incidentally. This VC release is the first time it's been re-released, but that'll probably just drive the price up, if anything.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

irlZaphod posted:

There was a guy in the WiiU thread melting down a few days ago because apparently the WiiU bricked his flash drive. So while you probably can use one, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I believe that guy then got everything working and immediately started gushing about how awesome Nintendo was so he might just be insane.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

A legit Demon's Crest cart costs a lot of money these days, incidentally. This VC release is the first time it's been re-released, but that'll probably just drive the price up, if anything.

I rarely see the game at local places, but I remember buying a physical copy from a local store for something like $10 used a couple years ago, but last year I saw another copy for something like $50 or $60, can't remember. Prices for physical SNES games have skyrocketed in recent times for whatever reason. I guess I got lucky and bought most of the now-expensive games when I did.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

I believe that guy then got everything working and immediately started gushing about how awesome Nintendo was so he might just be insane.
Haha I saw his post after I'd posted that, amazing transformation.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I can't believe SMT IV is out

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I think I'll wait till it goes on sale, from what I've seen over the past 18 months it should be on sale within a couple of weeks.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It won't go on sale for a couple of months probably.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Those are excellent prices on excellent Atlus games. Thinking I might buy Devil Survivor just to have it digital instead of on a card.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I need 17 points for a $5 eShop credit. Anyone got any ideas?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Fremry posted:

Use it as an excuse to buy something recommended here, then fill out the survey.

Alternatively, you can download one of the demos on 3ds that gives points for registration and post-play. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball and Steel Diver: Sub Wars will get you over the limit.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fremry posted:

Buy something, that you would enjoy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

codenameFANGIO posted:

Alright, i'll just buy a 16 or 32 gig flash drive and go for it. :)

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Beef Waifu posted:

It won't go on sale for a couple of months probably.

Atlus games never go on sale in Europe.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sorry.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Rush is 1.99 so would give you 19 points? Its definitely worth it. Its a nice diversion puzzle where you have to lay down time directions so a bunch of blocks make it past each other to their destinations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Dunban posted:

Atlus games never go on sale in Europe.
I'm pretty sure I picked up Devil Survivor off the eShop when it went on sale. We had a sale once, for about a month, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

irlZaphod posted:

I'm pretty sure I picked up Devil Survivor off the eShop when it went on sale. We had a sale once, for about a month, iirc.

It may have been a Ghostlight sale.